PDA

View Full Version : NRA Blames Video Games- Calls for Armed Guards at Schools

Zippyjuan
12-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Saw one estimate that posting a guard at every school would cost $8 billion. Perhaps it should be noted that armed teachers did not stop Columbine.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/22/us/nra-calls-for-armed-guards-at-schools.html?_r=0

WASHINGTON — After a weeklong silence since the Connecticut school shootings, the National Rifle Association on Friday called for a program to arm and train guards in schools as the best way to protect children from gun violence. The group blamed video games, the news media and lax law enforcement – but not guns – for a recent rash of mass shootings.

It offered no new proposals to restrict firearms.

“The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun,” said Wayne LaPierre, the N.R.A.'s vice president, at a packed media event was interrupted twice by protesters demanding tougher gun controls.

Angry and combative, Mr. LaPierre, who has led the N.R.A.'s operations for two decades, complained that the news media had unfairly “demonized gun owners,” and he called the makers of violent video games “a callous, corrupt and corrupting shadow industry that sells, and sows, violence against its own people.”

Shock over the Connecticut shootings has spurred wide calls for tighter gun control measures, with even some pro-gun lawmakers aligned with the N.R.A. saying that they were rethinking their positions. With the N.R.A. unusually quiet since the shootings, gun control supporters and opponents had looked to Friday’s event as a sign of how the nation’s largest and best-known gun lobby would respond and whether it would pledge cooperation with the White House and lawmakers seeking new actions.

Mr. LaPierre’s defiant tone suggested otherwise. He and David Keene, the group’s president, took no questions from reporters at the event who called out asking whether they planned to work with President Obama.

The N.R.A.'s main answer to school violence was a model program it unveiled called National School Shield, which would train and arm security guards at schools in those local districts that want to use it.

The group said it would pay for a task force to develop details for the model, and named Asa Hutchinson, a former Arkansas congressman and a strong supporter of the N.R.A., to lead it.

“Assurance of school safety must be restored with a sense of urgency,” Mr. Hutchinson said. The gun group called for schools to arm their security officers immediately.

More at link.

Text of speech:
http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/nra-press-conference-full-text-of-wayne-lapierres-speech-today/politics/2012/12/21/56993

He called for expanding government to address the problem:

The budget of our local police departments are strained and resources are limited, but their dedication and courage are second to none and they can be deployed right now.

I call on Congress today to act immediately, to appropriate whatever is necessary to put armed police officers in every school — and to do it now, to make sure that blanket of safety is in place when our children return to school in January.

Before Congress reconvenes, before we engage in any lengthy debate over legislation, regulation or anything else, as soon as our kids return to school after the holiday break, we need to have every single school in America immediately deploy a protection program proven to work — and by that I mean armed security.

even though he did add:

Ladies and gentlemen, there is no national, one-size-fits-all solution to protecting our children.

while asking for a one- size fits all government program.

Toss in a bit of fear mongering by using a rare event (the school shooting is another rare event):

And when you hear the glass breaking in your living room at 3 a.m. and call 911, you won’t be able to pray hard enough for a gun in the hands of a good guy to get there fast enough to protect you

jkr
12-21-2012, 06:13 PM
hoUse to hoUse for call of doodee
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.5047437771736035&pid=1.7
leave TRON alone

sailingaway
12-21-2012, 06:16 PM
That's stupid, we don't need more police state. We just need responsible teachers and administrators allowed to arm themselves, with suitable training, so the shooters know people are NOT disarmed in schools and don't know who is and isn't armed.

Gun free zones are quite clearly a death sentence.

muzzled dogg
12-21-2012, 06:23 PM
fiscal conservatives should not be supporting this increase in spending

SpreadOfLiberty
12-21-2012, 06:24 PM
I credit them for shifting the conversation.

Brett85
12-21-2012, 06:31 PM
I credit them for shifting the conversation.

Me too. Who cares whether they support banning video games or placing police officers in schools. They're a gun advocacy group, not a libertarian advocacy group. Trying to shift the conversation is a brilliant move.

gerryb1
12-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Me too. Who cares whether they support banning video games or placing police officers in schools. They're a gun advocacy group, not a libertarian advocacy group. Trying to shift the conversation is a brilliant move.

Except their monolithic "solution" is pretty darned dumb, and not a shift towards preventing a gun ban.

Brett85
12-21-2012, 06:40 PM
Except their monolithic "solution" is pretty darned dumb, and not a shift towards preventing a gun ban.

It seemed to me like they were pretty clear that they'll oppose additional gun control laws. I was actually relieved after I read about the press conference. I was afraid that the NRA was going to completely sell out and support an "assault weapons" ban or something like that. This is actually good news in my opinion.

KCIndy
12-21-2012, 06:55 PM
It seemed to me like they were pretty clear that they'll oppose additional gun control laws. I was actually relieved after I read about the press conference. I was afraid that the NRA was going to completely sell out and support an "assault weapons" ban or something like that. This is actually good news in my opinion.

While I hesitate to call it good news, I'll have to say I was expecting something similar to what you just said. I had expected that the NRA was going to do something spectacularly stupid and try to "compromise" by throwing the Second Amendment under the bus.

Calling for more Big Government to solve the problem through another useless and expensive security program ("ESA - Educational Security Agency, anyone???) is simply stupid. But it isn't as bad as agreeing to ban 90% of semi autos or something similar.

JK/SEA
12-21-2012, 07:40 PM
these jack ASSES that want stricter gun control need to step forward...grab a GUN FREE ZONE sign, and stand by the front doors of schools everywhere.

FreeHampshire
12-21-2012, 09:28 PM
It is truly a problem with the Public Schooling system more than anything. A free market could possibly favor schools that have armed security or other enhanced security efforts. Either that or homeschooling would become preferable, which would be the ideal safe solution.

farreri
12-21-2012, 10:18 PM
If video games are causing these mass shootings, why are the shooters offing themselves instead of going down in a hail of bullets?