PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Massie's Statement on NDAA and Indefinite Detention

tsai3904
12-21-2012, 04:57 PM
WASHINGTON – Congressman Thomas Massie (R-KY) voted against H.R. 4310, the National Defense Authorization Act for 2013.

“The NDAA violates fundamental rights recognized since the signing of the Magna Carta in 1215 A.D.,” said Rep. Massie. “This bill ignores principles central to American liberty.”

The National Defense Authorization Acts of 2012 and 2013 collectively authorize indefinite detention of citizens without trial, depriving them of rights protected by the U.S. Constitution. A Senate amendment, supported by Senator Rand Paul, to address the indefinite detention provisions of the NDAA was stripped from the bill before arriving at the House for a vote.

“I couldn’t in good conscience vote for the NDAA while simultaneously upholding my oath to defend the Constitution,” Rep. Massie concluded.

Earlier this month, Democrat Senator Jeanne Shaheen added an amendment to H.R. 4310 to permit taxpayer funding for certain types of abortion that had not been previously allowed. Under current law, the Department of Defense restricts federal funds to be used for abortions except when the mother’s life is in danger. The NDAA for Fiscal Year 2013 expands the list of exceptions.

The National Defense Authorization Act for 2013 passed the House, 315-107.

http://massie.house.gov/press-release/us-representative-massie-votes-%E2%80%98nay%E2%80%99-ndaa

Sola_Fide
12-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Love it. Thank you Congressman Massie.

Spoa
12-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Thank you Congressman Massie! I'm proud to have supported him. He is making me proud!

Brian4Liberty
12-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Way to represent!

sailingaway
12-21-2012, 09:19 PM
“I couldn’t in good conscience vote for the NDAA while simultaneously upholding my oath to defend the Constitution,” Rep. Massie concluded.

this ^^

Those who did vote for it have no shame at all about breaking their oaths, apparently.

sailingaway
12-25-2012, 10:19 PM
this ^^

Those who did vote for it have no shame at all about breaking their oaths, apparently.

He tweeted that, and I retweeted it a while back and added it to the 'we stand with you' twitter bomb. It just recirculated to my timeline and it looks like it has been retweeted 148 times, which is pretty good since he only had about 80 followers before that twitterbomb started. He now has 244. https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/status/282256702861111296

guess 'He's catchin' on...'

brandon
12-25-2012, 10:31 PM
I love that voting against this isn't even a political liability for him. Being in Rand's state it would be more of a political liability to vote for this. The tides are slowly turning. I'm proud of him and my support for him. He's going to make a fine congressman.