PDA

View Full Version : Newly elected NH democrats vote to re-instate gun ban at the NH state house.

Anti Federalist
12-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Well, that didn't take long, did it now?

Now the NH State House, will again, be as safe as an elementary school.

House Rules Committee votes to ban guns at State House

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20121220/NEWS06/121229883/1010

CONCORD - By a 6-4 vote along party lines, the New Hampshire House Rules Committee Thursday voted to ban guns in and around the house chamber at the State House.

Republican members of the House voted to take the matter to the floor when the Rules Committee recommendation must be voted on by the rank and file.

The Democratic-controlled committee voted to reinstate the ban on guns, which was lifted by a vote of the Republican Legislature two years ago.

The rule applies to sections of the State House controlled by the House of Representatives. The proposal now goes to the rank and file on the first day of the new legislative term Jan. 2.

Several Republicans who do not serve on the Rules Committee said they intend to wage a fight over the issue but conceded that they face an uphill battle.

sailingaway
12-21-2012, 03:54 PM
Doesn't it have to go to the Senate? Or does the House just get jurisdiction over its own House rules?

Anti Federalist
12-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Doesn't it have to go to the Senate? Or does the House just get jurisdiction over its own House rules?

I think the House majority can set the rules without a Senate vote, but I'm not sure.

Kieth and Stuff would be the man to answer that question.

sailingaway
12-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Well, we just need to get more people in.

Anti Federalist
12-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Well, we just need to get more people in.

O-bomb-ya had big coattails this time around.

kathy88
12-21-2012, 04:29 PM
If masses of people who work in gun free zones all just decided to not show up...... It's not like the libs want jobs.

Keith and stuff
12-21-2012, 05:05 PM

I may be wrong but I think it is just a ban on the House floor, the House gallery and some adjacent areas like the area behind the floor. So, this would mean that if you watch the House voting from the gallery or if you are an elected official and vote from the floor, you are a target in a gun free zone. I don't beleive this applies to the Senate chamber or any of the rooms in the LOB or even most of the House building. You should still be able to carry while testifying at a House committee hearing.

Also, yes, I think this is only a preliminary vote. I think there needs to be a full vote by either the joint rules committee, the entire legislature, or both. It was nice that a lot of people showed up to oppose this and all 4 Republican on the committee voted against it. Shame on the committee for not allowing people to speak.

BTW, I beleive this is similar to the ban the Democrats implemented in 2008, when they took over. I beleive the protocol back then was, if someone was open carrying, they would be asked to leave by security. If someone conceals, there is no way to know that a gun is being carried. There aren't medal detectors or anything.

Anyway, I think this too shall pass. There are going to be a bunch of annoying things the Democrats try to do over the next couple years now that they control the House. Unfortunately, some of them will pass.

Philhelm
12-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Well, considering that most of these high-profile shootings occurred in "gun-free" zones...

Keith and stuff
12-21-2012, 05:07 PM
If masses of people who work in gun free zones all just decided to not show up...... It's not like the libs want jobs.

Well, there are people with guns in the building. It seems it is just going to be the 1 big room where guns will be banned. Plus, I doubt there will be any punishment for carrying and it isn't very easy to find out, anyway. I'm sure some of the Republicans are still going to carry.

tod evans
12-21-2012, 05:08 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to kathy88 again.:o

AGRP
12-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Well, considering that most of these high-profile shootings occurred in "gun-free" zones...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vw2CrY9Igs

muzzled dogg
12-21-2012, 05:37 PM
we need a principled rep to do some civ dis

Tinnuhana
12-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by AF
O-bomb-ya had big coattails this time around.

More like Mittens had no coattails at all.

Keith and stuff
12-22-2012, 05:56 PM
More like Mittens had no coattails at all.

I guess either might be correct. Maybe both?

A local liberty guy with his on TV show, recording the committee meeting. He isn't even a free stater but he was a state rep. last term. Watch is pro-liberty TV show here if you want. http://www.accessnashua.org/speakup.php

Anyway, here is his video of the meeting. http://youtu.be/mwIrtBqXspg

Keith and stuff
12-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Here is the latest.

The vote will take place on 1-2-2013 and only matter on the NH House floor, gallery and near-by areas. That is, if the vote passed on 1-2-2013. Also, NH House members will not be searched and there is no legal punishment if they carry. I fully assume as many as a couple dozen NH reps. will continue to carry while on the NH House floor. So, if the ban passes, it will matter most to the people in the gallery.

I'd recommend that people living in NH send an email to all of the NH reps but I doubt the email system has been updated yet.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20121230/NEWS0604/121239969

This month, the House Rules Committee voted along party lines, 6-4, to reinstate the ban. Democrats said doing so would simply be a return to the way the House had operated for nearly half a century.

One of their assertions was that guns should not be present when fourth-graders visit the House Gallery. When youngsters are in the building, said House Majority Leader Steve Shurtleff, it is their classroom, and guns should not be part of that environment.

House Republican leader Gene Chandler, however, said his caucus is not convinced the change would improve safety. He also said the proposal's reference to "adjacent areas'' is ambiguous.

"Are you talking five feet, 10 feet or 20 feet," he said, adding that it could lead to enforcement problems, particularly if the Senate does not adopt a similar rule, which it is not expected to do.

Several gun-rights advocates in the House have promised a vigorous floor fight over the change. It's worth noting, however, that the committee did not seek to change a provision that would forbid the searching of House members, which would essentially makes the prohibition subject to the honor system.

Anti Federalist
12-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Here is the latest.

The vote will take place on 1-2-2013 and only matter on the NH House floor, gallery and near-by areas. That is, if the vote passed on 1-2-2013. Also, NH House members will not be search and there is no legal punishment if they carry. I fully assume as many as a couple dozen NH reps. will continue to carry while on the NH House floor. So, if the ban passes, it will most matter to the people in the gallery.

I'd recommend that people living in NH send an email to all of the NH reps but I doubt the email system has been updated yet.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20121230/NEWS0604/121239969

Thanks, Keith.

My Carroll Co. reps notified.

Keith and stuff
01-02-2013, 01:54 PM
It is hours later then expected but the debate is happening now. It looks likely that where will be a ban but it will only be for the giant House floor room (which includes the gallery and the open area behind the seats. It also doesn't look like there is any enforcement mechanism. You can watch it live here if you have a good internet connect. http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/house/default.htm Click on House is Currently in session - Listen Live
[Windows Media]

Edit: I like this feed better. http://nhspan.us/?page_id=2

Keith and stuff
01-02-2013, 02:28 PM
The vote went ahead. Aye 196 Nay 153 to ban guns in the 1 room. There will be a gun locker in the basement. Dozens and dozens of state reps are now turning in written protests to be printed in the day's journal. It is quite inspiring to watch. I'll link to the journal when it comes out.

To put this in perspective, the NH State House is still among the half a dozen or so least security regulated State Houses in the US. Guns are only banned from 1 room of whole building and there doesn't seem to be anyway of knowing anyone is carrying or any punishment set-up. There is still no metal detector AFAIK. There is still no searching. A 5 year old is still legally allowed to carry a gun into all of the other rooms in the building without any type of punishment at all. Plus, hopefully this ban will be removed in 2 years.

Keith and stuff
01-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Former Speaker of the NH House already posted the list of Republicans who voted to ban guns in the House chamber.

List of six Republican Representatives who voted on January 2, 2013 with 190 Democrats on a 196 to 153 vote to make Representatives Hall and the House Gallery in the NH State House into a gun-free, killing zones:

Belknap County - Dennis Fields, Sanborton

Carroll County - Karel Crawford, Center Harbor

Hillsborough County - Carolyn Gargasz, Hollis, Steve Vaillancourt, Manchester

Merrimack County - Priscilla Lockwood, Canterbury, David Kidder, New London

They are all pretty much RINOs. Maybe not Karel Crawford as I know nothing about him. Though, in Steve Vaillancourt's case, he a more of a libertarian RINO. He was even elected to the NH House as a Libertarian before. He endorsed Ron Paul in 2008 and 2012. He is sometimes wrong on the issues. It's annoying but it is what it is.

Keith and stuff
01-03-2013, 11:00 AM
we need a principled rep to do some civ dis

Done.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/542189_10151194555216440_1010420038_n.jpg