PDA

View Full Version : Game Should be Banned Says U.S. Senator

aGameOfThrones
12-21-2012, 07:23 AM
Now, U.S. Senator Joe Manchin is going back to one of the most-controversial videogame franchises of all time to have someone new to blame. I am, of course, talking about the Grand Theft Auto franchise -- which, in this case, is GTA 5.

In an interview with MSNBC (via DailyKos), Manchin, who's an avid gun user and huntsman, states that he has no plans in selling his guns and has been discussing the issue with the NRA (National Rifle Association). Further along the inerview, he also claims that he's friends with the NRA and that's he's "proud" of the association -- say what?

Here's what Marchin had to say regarding the NRA and how he's "proud" of them.

These are my friends...They’re good people. They’re hurting. They’re in pain the same way as every American about what happened to these twenty little children. And I’m not going to let anybody be villainized

I’m so proud of the NRA...I’m so pleased they agreed to be part of this.

If that wasn't befuddling enough, Manchin then spent most of the interview putting focus on mental health issues and -- you guessed it -- videogames.

Manchin states later in the interview, "Look at Grand Theft Auto, put out by Rockstar Games in New York City and see what it promotes," and even adds, "Shouldn’t that be looked into and maybe be banned?"

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/11602/article/gta-5-should-be-banned-says-u-s-senator/

CaptUSA
12-21-2012, 07:25 AM
Don't forget "cops and robbers" and "cowboys and indians"!

Aratus
12-21-2012, 07:28 AM
burnin' rubber 3 is neat
the GTA games are like
flying the jolly roger boldly

Ranger29860
12-21-2012, 07:29 AM
There is note ONE element or event that is in those games that have not been in movies that are watched by a lot more people than a game is being played. What a tool.

compromise
12-21-2012, 07:31 AM
This source is pretty biased too in favor of gun control. Is there anyone out there who isn't blaming guns or games?

Seraphim
12-21-2012, 07:33 AM
Congress promotes theft, murder abroad and insider trading.

Ban them too?

:cool:

V3n
12-21-2012, 08:03 AM
I've been watching a few documentaries lately and found an interesting trend..

Pinball Machines were banned from the 1930's to 1970's
they tried to ban Comic Books in the 1960's (even include bonfires with comics being thrown in!)
they tried to ban Arcade Machines in the 1980's and 90's

And the list goes on.. Who can imagine a pinball machine, a comic book, or Pac-Man being banned??

Every decade, the out-of-touch geezers in Congress try to outlaw whatever the 'young-people' are doing and whatever they don't understand.
Every time they try, they fail.
Pathetic.

BAllen
12-21-2012, 08:44 AM
Amazing how they miss the mark in the blame game. The moral decay is caused by marxist demoralization in the form of brainwashing and drugs. That's the root of the problem. Unless they get to that, they're merely using snake oil to treat symptoms.
GTA is a fun, stress relieving tool. Same psychological tool as hitting a pillow, or punching bag.

presence
12-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Don't forget "cops and robbers" and "cowboys and indians"!

MUST SPREAD REP

chudrockz
12-21-2012, 08:59 AM
I've been waiting for GTA 5 to come out for like six months now, they better damn well not prevent it's arrival. All the other insane government abuses aside, that would REALLY piss me off.

Noob
12-22-2012, 03:04 AM
Supreme court ruled that the ban of violent video games was unconstitutional.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/29/arts/video-games/what-supreme-court-ruling-on-video-games-means.html?_r=0

idiom
12-22-2012, 03:27 AM
Australia doesn't have any video game ratings above M, so anything that meets R classifications is banned by default.

Biggest bunch of nanny staters ever.

Besides, video games don't make people violent, lag does.

Kilrain
12-22-2012, 03:35 AM
Is the senator aware that the US army produces and disseminates a game called America's Army? If you're against "violent games", why not start by cleaning your own house first?

tangent4ronpaul
12-22-2012, 04:05 AM
Manchin states later in the interview, "Look at Grand Theft Auto, put out by Rockstar Games in New York City and see what it promotes," and even adds, "Shouldn’t that be looked into and maybe be banned?"

Supreme court ruled that the ban of violent video games was unconstitutional.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/29/arts/video-games/what-supreme-court-ruling-on-video-games-means.html?_r=0

It's interesting that one of the GTA games, or so I've read, has a rape scene in it. #3 or 4, iirc, and while the us gvmt tolerates a domestic game producer to do this, they put pressure on Japan to ban all games involving rape, molestation and stalking - all of which are major Japanese fetishes. They also banned other branches of Japanese erotic cartoons and 3D stuff, but what is and isn't illegal is really blurry. It just seems really hypocritical.

I'd rather they didn't ban anything.

There was also that thing with the sims where you could get naked templates and do whatever you want with them? Roomie was telling me about it and read a few articles n visited some web sites, but I'm not into the sims.

I'm not crazy about the programming first person shooter games like GTA instill in people and the morality they teach are appropriate, but at the same time I don't advocate banning them. I've seen a few things where tank or attack helo's crews cranked up the heavy metal and proceeded to waste anything living. I don't think this is a good side effect of video games.

-t

tod evans
12-22-2012, 04:20 AM
I view video games as entertainment and believe that any sane person understands that they're in no way any semblance of reality.

This fascination the talking heads have with video games, guns or even drugs is only an attempt to remove responsibility for ones actions from the person who acts.

The truly imbalanced among us are those who try to attribute somebodies actions to external stimuli, every one of us has the ability to decide what we do and no video game/gun or drug can make those decisions for us.

Feeding the Abscess
12-22-2012, 04:45 AM
It's interesting that one of the GTA games, or so I've read, has a rape scene in it. #3 or 4, iirc, and while the us gvmt tolerates a domestic game producer to do this, they put pressure on Japan to ban all games involving rape, molestation and stalking - all of which are major Japanese fetishes. They also banned other branches of Japanese erotic cartoons and 3D stuff, but what is and isn't illegal is really blurry. It just seems really hypocritical.

I'd rather they didn't ban anything.

There was also that thing with the sims where you could get naked templates and do whatever you want with them? Roomie was telling me about it and read a few articles n visited some web sites, but I'm not into the sims.

I'm not crazy about the programming first person shooter games like GTA instill in people and the morality they teach are appropriate, but at the same time I don't advocate banning them. I've seen a few things where tank or attack helo's crews cranked up the heavy metal and proceeded to waste anything living. I don't think this is a good side effect of video games.

-t

No rape scene in GTA, and they're third person games, not first person. The graphics so far in the series are also pretty far removed from realism. That Sims thing sounds like a user mod, not something initially placed in the retail version of the game.

tangent4ronpaul
12-22-2012, 04:59 AM
No rape scene in GTA, and they're third person games, not first person. The graphics so far in the series are also pretty far removed from realism. That Sims thing sounds like a user mod, not something initially placed in the retail version of the game.

http://www.gamesradar.com/gamings-most-horrifying-sex-scenes/

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Hot Coffee set the bar for horrendous in-game sex sequences, so we might as well start here. While not officially included as part of San Andreas, a modder found it buried in the code after release, yada yada yada. Unless you were completely ignoring videogame-related controversies five years ago, you already know about Hot Coffee and the political shitstorm its discovery ignited.

To be fair, Hot Coffee is an unfinished minigame that was never intended for public viewing. But knowing that does nothing to diminish the raw, jaw-dropping ugliness of Carl “CJ” Johnson robotically humping his generic, thong-clad girlfriend.

Yes, a modder found it and it's supposed to be a rape IDK...

Yeah, the sims thing was a bunch of modders...

-t

Feeding the Abscess
12-22-2012, 05:04 AM
http://www.gamesradar.com/gamings-most-horrifying-sex-scenes/

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Hot Coffee set the bar for horrendous in-game sex sequences, so we might as well start here. While not officially included as part of San Andreas, a modder found it buried in the code after release, yada yada yada. Unless you were completely ignoring videogame-related controversies five years ago, you already know about Hot Coffee and the political shitstorm its discovery ignited.

To be fair, Hot Coffee is an unfinished minigame that was never intended for public viewing. But knowing that does nothing to diminish the raw, jaw-dropping ugliness of Carl “CJ” Johnson robotically humping his generic, thong-clad girlfriend.

Yes, a modder found it and it's supposed to be a rape IDK...

Yeah, the sims thing was a bunch of modders...

-t

Hot Coffee was just an inside look at the sounds you hear when you're having sex with your GF after a successful date, not a rape or anything like that.