PDA

View Full Version : Will they pass an "assault" weapons ban?

cbrons
12-20-2012, 08:46 PM
What are the political realities here? Will they get the votes? People who know the actual landscape inside the Republican party, chime in here and give your over/under.

Philhelm
12-20-2012, 08:50 PM
I'd argue the reality is that it will likely happen in the near future, especially considering it already did happen during the Cunton administration. My question is whether weapons will fall under a grandfather clause.

Brett85
12-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Yes, I predict that enough Republicans will sell out that an assault weapons ban happens.

crhoades
12-20-2012, 09:45 PM
No ban. My guess is that they will make them class 3 NFA items like SBRs and suppressors and tax stamp them to death. My .02.

RickyJ
12-20-2012, 09:49 PM
They will get no lasting ban. If they happen to get a temporary ban, then they will wish they did not. Many Americans are sick and tired of their tyranny and it won't take too much pushing to push them over the edge. In this case, they better hope they don't get what they claim they want.

qh4dotcom
12-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Many Americans are sick and tired of their tyranny and it won't take too much pushing to push them over the edge.

Sounds too good to be true...don't forget that Americans overwhelmingly voted for two presidential candidates with anti-gun records last November.

SpreadOfLiberty
12-20-2012, 10:03 PM
I have no clue at this point.

QuickZ06
12-20-2012, 10:08 PM
I am pretty sure they (government) are going to try and take them ("assault" weapons) permanently this time.

South Park Fan
12-20-2012, 10:08 PM
You forgot the option where Congress doesn't pass it but Obama implements it via executive order.

JK/SEA
12-20-2012, 10:16 PM
hell yeah..ban on semi-auto's, and raise my taxes please. Double dare ya.

Ekrub
12-20-2012, 10:48 PM
hell yeah..ban on semi-auto's, and raise my taxes please. Double dare ya.

LMAO, when did JFK III say that about the hawks?

TheTexan
12-20-2012, 11:01 PM
If I've learned anything, it's to never underestimate the advancement of tyranny.

Yes, it will pass.

AuH20
12-20-2012, 11:10 PM
No one ever thought that the Supreme Court would ever ratify Obamacare BUT after a phonecall or two, it got done. We're in serious trouble anyway you look at it.

madengr
12-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Executive fiat with enforcement by the child-gassing squad.

The Obama administration will consider executive actions and specific proposals for legislation as part of its gun policy response to the school massacre in Newtown, Connecticut, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said on Wednesday.

Holder, who has been a vocal proponent of a new ban on certain semiautomatic rifles, told reporters that a range of options need to be considered in the coming weeks.

Those options will have to include a "strong and robust" Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the chronically under-funded agency that enforces federal gun laws, he said.

"It's clear that we need to do more," Holder said. He did not specifically call on Wednesday for a return of the assault weapon ban.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/holder-gun-control/2012/12/19/id/468385#ixzz2Ff4YNOk1
Urgent: Should Obamacare Be Repealed? Vote Here Now!

JK/SEA
12-20-2012, 11:55 PM
LMAO, when did JFK III say that about the hawks?

08-31-2012 08:38 PM
John F Kennedy III

Originally Posted by JK/SEA
''Seahawk defense. Epic this year. Offense looks to be adequate.

Seahawks will be one of the top teams this year.''

JFK III: ''They don't have a QB''

i'm thinkin' he might be wrong at this point, but i won't rub it in....much...lol.... He's a 49er fan. Seattle and S.F. play sunday in Seattle.....might be a fun one to watch....

cbrons
12-21-2012, 12:09 AM
Alright, so what are we going to do at the grossroots to get these clowns in the Republican party in line? We have to do something IMO. Yes, I know the outlook is bleak. I figured they would pass it with a good handful of Republican turncoat phonies and all the "A" NRA rated Democrats will show their true stooge feathers.

Ekrub
12-21-2012, 12:55 AM
08-31-2012 08:38 PM
John F Kennedy III

Originally Posted by JK/SEA
''Seahawk defense. Epic this year. Offense looks to be adequate.

Seahawks will be one of the top teams this year.''

JFK III: ''They don't have a QB''

i'm thinkin' he might be wrong at this point, but i won't rub it in....much...lol.... He's a 49er fan. Seattle and S.F. play sunday in Seattle.....might be a fun one to watch....

RW has been incredible this year. Hope he can keep up that performance over the last two games. I think he or RG3 deserve rookie of the year. Go Hawks.

Sorry, won't hijack this thread anymore. Haven't been to RPF the last few months. Feels good to be back :)

RickyJ
12-21-2012, 01:13 AM
Sounds too good to be true...don't forget that Americans overwhelmingly voted for two presidential candidates with anti-gun records last November.

Most that voted for Romney really thought he was pro-gun. And many that didn't vote, which was about half the nation, are majority pro-gun.

cbrons
12-21-2012, 01:17 AM
Tried to rep everyone that meaningfully contributed. Hope we can get some more.

heavenlyboy34
12-21-2012, 01:22 AM
My inner cynic tells me it will pass. Experience taught me not to expect rationality, common sense, decency, or repsect for most humans from the vast majority of the assholes in the FedGov. Especially congress.

RickyJ
12-21-2012, 01:42 AM
My inner cynic tells me it will pass. Experience taught me not to expect rationality, common sense, decency, or repsect for most humans from the vast majority of the assholes in the FedGov. Especially congress.

They might pass it, but if they do I think they will live to regret it.

WilliamShrugged
12-21-2012, 01:46 AM
If this passes. Then we might see the end of the GOP, and the beginning of a top outside party.

nobody's_hero
12-21-2012, 03:22 AM
They'll try something new. Probably go after ammo next.

Travlyr
12-21-2012, 05:42 AM
I don't know if the idiots in Washington D.C. will try and ban guns in America or not. But your poll is interesting. You have a radio show and you think there is a difference between Republicans and Democrats?

tod evans
12-21-2012, 05:57 AM
They'll try something new. Probably go after ammo next.

There's been ripples in the pond all around ammo.....I have a feeling that this is exactly the avenue that'll be taken, whether through taxes or rationing I don't know.

A gun without bullets is just a pretty club.

jkob
12-21-2012, 06:11 AM
I have a hard time believing anything will pass in the house, there may be a few turncoat Republicans but I imagine there will be some Democrats in more rural or conservative districts that wouldn't vote for such legislation. All bets are off the table tho as for executive action.

Aeroneous
12-21-2012, 06:55 AM
There's been ripples in the pond all around ammo.....I have a feeling that this is exactly the avenue that'll be taken, whether through taxes or rationing I don't know.

A gun without bullets is just a pretty club.

There's a gun show next weekend in my city, and I'm going to buy as much ammo as possible. I can easily see them banning the sale of the "assault rifle" ammo along with the "assault rifles".

tod evans
12-21-2012, 07:03 AM
There's a gun show next weekend in my city, and I'm going to buy as much ammo as possible. I can easily see them banning the sale of the "assault rifle" ammo along with the "assault rifles".

Have to bring in the spent brass and a canceled/signed by an official, deer tag in order to purchase "approved" deer rounds...

Remember the 2nd amendment is about hunting afterall...:cool:

cbrons
12-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Yeah... I need to get to a show nearby asap.

cbrons
12-22-2012, 09:36 PM
I have a hard time believing anything will pass in the house, there may be a few turncoat Republicans but I imagine there will be some Democrats in more rural or conservative districts that wouldn't vote for such legislation. All bets are off the table tho as for executive action.

Let us focus on the legislative as opposed to the dictator method. Do we really have the numbers to prevent these slime from railroading it through? To me if they pass a ban, it's beyond the Intolerable Acts because it doesn't just steal your property but strikes at your right to self-defense.

pcosmar
12-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Will they?
Don't know,, but I suspect it is likely.

Remember, you can always get one later when you need one..
They are in the trunk of most police cars.

;)

cbrons
12-22-2012, 10:20 PM
I don't know if the idiots in Washington D.C. will try and ban guns in America or not. But your poll is interesting. You have a radio show and you think there is a difference between Republicans and Democrats?

There is not a difference ideologically for the most part, but their interests (rather the interests behind them) are not always aligned. The repub criminals have to rely on the gun vote to get elected - to a certain extent and depending on where in the country they are...

phill4paul
12-22-2012, 10:22 PM
They did it before. I can honestly say that it NEVER affected me. If I wanted something I acquired it. The fight is the same. Just a different day.

cbrons
12-22-2012, 10:59 PM
nm bad link

cbrons
12-26-2012, 10:17 PM
bump

Tod
12-26-2012, 11:03 PM
I would say that almost certainly magazine capacities will be limited, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they try for less than 10 this time. Maybe 4 or 5. Additionally, I suspect they will include features that most "assault" guns have, effectively banning what they are calling "assault" rifles, if not an outright ban on anything that looks scary like an AR or AK. We've already been down that road.

And no doubt they will try to come up with a way to drive up the cost of ammo, probably using the income to fund an anti-gun education program. Maybe toss in required warning labels on all boxes of ammo, like on cig packs.

Maybe an effort to repeal the "Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protection_of_Lawful_Commerce_in_Arms_Act

I have a hard time believing they will directly try to get Hollywood & game producers to curb gun violence, but they will probably try to shame them into voluntarily doing it in the name of "social responsibility".

oyarde
12-27-2012, 12:21 AM
At this point , only the House could stop any of this nonsense, just my feeling.Anything done should be challenged by the states in court.They should win that.

oyarde
12-27-2012, 12:22 AM
As for me personally, no laws change anything for me.I will always live the same .

Jingles
12-27-2012, 06:12 AM
We've been stocking up on 20, 30, 40rd mags for our AK, Saigas, SKSs, and mags for the G3A3 just in case. Also, ammo. I see it being stopped by small margin in the house, namely because the Republican's have been pissing off every part of their base as much as possible and the 2nd amendment unites a lot of different factions (well on this issue it at least). While I don't doubt that they would want to pass it, It's more than likely against their political interest to do so.