PDA

View Full Version : Russian Gun Lobby Seeks Right To Bear Arms

sailingaway
12-20-2012, 06:31 PM
http://gdb.rferl.org/12DFAADD-E481-43C2-BAF4-C810F4CE5F92_w640_r1_s.jpg

MOSCOW -- The mass shooting last week at an elementary school in Connecticut sparked calls for stricter gun control laws in the United States. But thousands of kilometers away, the fledgling gun lobby in Moscow drew a different lesson: Gun laws in Russia should be liberalized.

And while the powerful U.S. gun lobby group, the National Rifle Association, waited four days before issuing a public statement on the tragedy, which claimed the lives of 20 children and six adults, the Moscow-based Right To Bear Arms made its voice heard within hours with an announcement on its website calling for increased access to weapons.

"In this shooting six teachers died, six people who could literally use only their hands to defend children," said Maria Butina, the organization's 24-year old founder. "The murderer planned this knowing that no one would be armed."

Boosted by a surge of civic activism and a stream of new violence that has kept guns in the news, leaders of Russia’s gun movement -- virtually nonexistent a year ago -- say all they have to do now is convince Russians themselves of the value of greater access to guns.

And their rhetoric appears to be inspired, at least in part, by that of the gun lobby in the United States.

more: http://www.rferl.org/content/russia-gun-laws-newtown-massacre/24804185.html

heavenlyboy34
12-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Хорошо! :)

bolil
12-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Yea! xopowo! I mean, go Russians!

heavenlyboy34
12-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Is that Polish or something? :confused:

Dr.3D
12-20-2012, 08:14 PM
They should declare their right to bear arms. If they have to ask, it's not a right.

nobody's_hero
12-20-2012, 08:30 PM
I sometimes wonder if freedom can only begin to thrive again once a nation has hit rock-bottom.

When you have nothing left to lose, perhaps then freedom becomes desirable. But so long as people can maintain some temporary comforts, freedoms isn't that big of a deal.

BlackTerrel
12-20-2012, 09:32 PM
I sometimes wonder if freedom can only begin to thrive again once a nation has hit rock-bottom.

When you have nothing left to lose, perhaps then freedom becomes desirable. But so long as people can maintain some temporary comforts, freedoms isn't that big of a deal.

I know immigrants from Egypt and Somalia (among others). Their nations have been pretty close to rock bottom and have less freedoms than most other countries.

I actually think many times it's the opposite. The poorer and less a country has the less freedoms. North Korea being another example.

Keith and stuff
12-20-2012, 09:46 PM
I know immigrants from Egypt and Somalia (among others).

Somalia have less freedom? Isn't it our paradise?

qh4dotcom
12-20-2012, 10:03 PM

Хорошо means "good" in Russian...it's pronounced ha-rosh-sho

BlackTerrel
12-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Somalia have less freedom? Isn't it our paradise?

It's all you man... take a trip.

heavenlyboy34
12-21-2012, 12:05 AM
Хорошо means "good" in Russian...it's pronounced ha-rosh-sho
No, it's pronounced khoroshO (strong accent on last vowel&weak on the first 2...the first consonant is a "gutteral". Like an h sound, but raspy) It's more accurately translated as "excellent". A tepid word like "good" would be rendered by так себе or something similar, depending on the speaker's mood.