PDA

View Full Version : NC Gov. elect Pat McCrory: "NC has enough gun laws"

sluggo
12-20-2012, 11:06 AM
He hasn't taken office yet, but I'm already liking this guy.

http://www.wral.com/mccrory-mental-health-should-be-emphases-of-shooting-response/11898304/

"I've got to get my feet grounded as governor first. But I think we do need to do a whole review of our school safety to ensure that we have to the proper programs in place, to ensure that our kids are protected," McCrory said. "The second area I'm very interested in is mental health. Right now we have broken system regarding mental health. And this type of situation could occur here because of some people with serious mental health issues. Those are two immediate areas that I can maybe have an impact on as the next governor."

Asked about potential changes to either broaden gun rights or impose more controls, McCrory said the state has enough gun laws.

"I just want to make sure that kids are safe," McCrory said. "The long-term solution I think is not changing any current laws — we've got a lot of laws on the books — but taking care of those people who have some serious, serious problems in their minds. I think that's where a lot of the concentration needs to be. Because if you look at all these incidents throughout the nation, it's been these loners that have some serious, serious issues. I think that's the thing we've got to concentrate on."

kathy88
12-20-2012, 11:27 AM
The long-term solution I think is not changing any current laws

Disagree. Laws permitting gun free zones DO need to be changed.

sluggo
12-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Disagree. Laws permitting gun free zones DO need to be changed.

I agree with you.

However, I'm glad he said he's not interested in passing any NEW gun control laws. The outgoing governor, Bev Perdue, would probably push for Obama-style legislation.

FSP-Rebel
12-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Typical establishment/NRA republican response, always playing defense.

sluggo
12-20-2012, 11:50 AM
We need more Glen Bradley's in state government before you'll see a more libertarian/Ron Paul type of response.

BAllen
12-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Our gun rights have recently been expanded. It is now legal to carry in state parks, making them safer. And we've added the castle doctrine to personal space, which includes your vehicle.

devil21
12-20-2012, 10:23 PM
McCrory isn't terrible and Im curious to see how he governs NC. However, there are too many gun laws in NC already. I'd like to see them get rid of the Crow era "pistol purchase permit" for starters, where the local yokle sheriff has to sign off on your gun purchase before you can even ask the feds for permission.