PDA

View Full Version : Opposing views on what should happen after Sandy Hook

DerailingDaTrain
12-20-2012, 06:54 AM
These were in the "Open Forum" section of my local newspaper this morning.

Put gun sales into the hands of the government

My proposal for the nation's gun culture (which has absolutely no chance of adoption).
*Preserve the 2nd amendment
*Each household will be allowed to possess a maximum of one weapon per adult for home protection
*All weapons to be sold out of government-run retailers, like ABC stores in North Carolina, which are the only legal outlet for liquor by the bottle.
*Each household will be allowed the limited amount of ammunition necessary for practice, etc. Ammunition will also be sold by government-run retailers.
*All purchases will be tracked by computer.
*Privately run gun rangers for practice and sport shooting will be allowed. They will be able to sell ammunition for use on site.
*Additional ownership of hunter guns will be allowed, which must be single shot only (good enough for Dan'l Boone, it's good enough for you)
*Possession of guns/ammunition over the limit will be penalized much as possession of meth is now.
-Dumbass in Burlington

Seriously?

Here's a somewhat better one:

Newtown massacre may spark change in our society

When you take an objective look at what happened in Newtown, Conn., the police response did little or nothing to protect the children and the mother who were killed. They were able to stop further slaughter because the killer was typical of this brand of lunatic; he stopped when confronted by people who were armed and able to match his mayhem shot for shot. It is a complete failure of common sense that the principal and the school guidance counselor didn't even have a baseball bat, let alone a Taser, to confront and possibly disarm this man. They gave their lives for their kids! Ladies and gentleman, we must confront adult solutions to this horrible masacre and not allow government to use educratic bureaucracy and ridiculous Department of Education gobbledygook to refuse to change for the safety of our children and teachers. Please remember we have already agreed to arm out civilian airline pilots for their safety and the safety of the passengers. Let's arm out principals along with a police officer in every school as an immediate response. Assistant principals should be allowed to carry Tasers. When confronted by a criminal or a lunatic, do you think you can reason with them when they start to shoot at you? Finally, let's have an open and adult discussion about what causes violent people to erupt in society and try to come up with logical ways to identify these people and get them locked up or in treatment. Look at our War on Drugs, a complete failure in preventing drugs and drug violence. Look at President Obama's own hometown, Chicago, where the worst murder rate in the country is raging while the Justice Department is guilty of aiding the sale of guns to the Mexican drug cartels per the news media. Just look at the mental health failures in our country where people like Laughtner and Lanza went unreported even when people around them knew there was a problem. Maybe Newtown will cause the citizens of this country to force the government to change back to the people being in charge and the government going back to working for us and doing what we tell them like our Founding Fathers intended

What do you guys think?

tangent4ronpaul
12-20-2012, 07:13 AM
I'll take door #2, thank you...

-t

Acala
12-20-2012, 08:42 AM
I think that since governments have demonstrated themselves to be the most reliably and apocalyptically murderous entities that ever existed, having killed more of just their OWN subjects in the last century than all the criminals and crazy neighbors have killed in all of history, it only makes sense that government should be given all the guns and the people should be left defenseless. So I opt for numbe one.

nobody's_hero
12-20-2012, 09:06 AM
#2 makes some good points but his suggestion to only arm the principal and only give the vice-principal a taser (?) seems a bit . . . arbitrary. I'd like to know if there's any reasoning behind that suggestion, or if he was just throwing out a quick suggestion.

CaptUSA
12-20-2012, 09:18 AM
Door #1 is a tyrant's wet dream.

I don't like door #2 that much either, though. I say just remove the restrictions about teachers and principals carrying in schools. No need to mandate they carry 'em. No need to put armed guards in schools to make sure the subjects are behaving.

Just remove the restrictions and the right people will carry. At the very least, anyone thinking about committing these crimes would have to think that someone may be carrying. And they wouldn't know who.

Acala
12-20-2012, 09:19 AM
#2 makes some good points but his suggestion to only arm the principal and only give the vice-principal a taser (?) seems a bit . . . arbitrary. I'd like to know if there's any reasoning behind that suggestion, or if he was just throwing out a quick suggestion.

If I am the principle, I want to be able to outgun the vice principle so he doesn't get any ideas about a mutiny. Bastard. I KNOW he wants my job.

Todd
12-20-2012, 09:28 AM
Get rid of the federal ban and let local and state jurisdictions solve the issue.

End all Gun free zones.

Philhelm
12-20-2012, 10:37 AM
My solution: Every one of you in this country can fuck off and leave me to decide which, and how many, firearms I will purchase for whatever reason I like, or for no reason at all.

Philip Foster for President.