PDA

View Full Version : Student Loan Crisis

Larry1423
12-19-2012, 06:28 PM
How could Austrian Economics solve this crisis, would it emphasizes it through the individual's standpoint. Along with the analysis of opportunity cost for the individual?

thoughtomator
12-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Easy solution - allow bankruptcy in student loans to re-introduce discipline in the market and clear bad debts. Get govt out of loan business - and out of the education business.

ShaneEnochs
12-19-2012, 07:08 PM
Schools can charge whatever they want because they know the government will keep increasing the amount of loans available to match what they're charging. This wouldn't happen with normal banks offering loans, because not everyone is credit-worthy enough to take out four $10,000 loans.

jkr
12-19-2012, 07:19 PM
PLEASE LET ME GO BANKRUPT AND START OVER
I LEARNED MY LESSON

never try to improve yourself with compounded interest
this is all clinton AND double yooos fault

heavenlyboy34
12-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Easy solution - allow bankruptcy in student loans to re-introduce discipline in the market and clear bad debts. Get govt out of loan business - and out of the education business.
This seems to be the solution as Austrians like RP have stated publicly. I know RP has talked about the government debt being liquidated so the crisis can play itself out instead of borrowing and inflating in hopes of "recovery".

heavenlyboy34
12-19-2012, 07:37 PM
PLEASE LET ME GO BANKRUPT AND START OVER
I LEARNED MY LESSON

never try to improve yourself with compounded interest
this is all clinton AND double yooos fault
I wouldn't go that far. It's also a problem caused by discrimination laws (now you have to get a degree because employers can't test for "intelligence") and the recent cheap money/inflationist era.

thoughtomator
12-19-2012, 09:00 PM
I wouldn't go that far. It's also a problem caused by discrimination laws (now you have to get a degree because employers can't test for "intelligence") and the recent cheap money/inflationist era.

Government employers can still test for intelligence, and if you score too high you're disqualified. No, this is not a joke or sarcasm it's actually true.

kathy88
12-19-2012, 09:05 PM
I heard one proposal on talk radio a week or so ago. It was not well received by Wilkow. The proposal was to never allow student loan payoffs to be higher than 6 percent of the borrowers gross income. After 20 years the remainder would be forgiven. I could almost swear there's an actual bill about it roaming the hallowed halls in DC.

Larry1423
12-19-2012, 09:08 PM
I heard one proposal on talk radio a week or so ago. It was not well received by Wilkow. The proposal was to never allow student loan payoffs to be higher than 6 percent of the borrowers gross income. After 20 years the remainder would be forgiven. I could almost swear there's an actual bill about it roaming the hallowed halls in DC.

I think that's called "The Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012".

thoughtomator
12-19-2012, 09:08 PM

Too complicated and requires too much bureaucracy to manage, and it interferes with private citizens' ability to enter into voluntary contracts.

Bankruptcy is the legal process that was created to deal with unmanageable debts. It has hundreds of years of success to support the idea that it is the right way to deal with that problem. It is also specifically cited in the Constitution as one of the few responsibilities assigned to Congress.

kathy88
12-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Too complicated and requires too much bureaucracy to manage, and it interferes with private citizens' ability to enter into voluntary contracts.

Bankruptcy is the legal process that was created to deal with unmanageable debts. It has hundreds of years of success to support the idea that it is the right way to deal with that problem. It is also specifically cited in the Constitution as one of the few responsibilities assigned to Congress.yeah for the record I think it's awful.

Larry1423
12-19-2012, 09:13 PM
If an individual wanted to file bankruptcy for student loans, what chapter would it be under the bankruptcy laws? 7/9/11/13?

heavenlyboy34
12-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Government employers can still test for intelligence, and if you score too high you're disqualified. No, this is not a joke or sarcasm it's actually true.
I've heard of this but never looked into it. LOLZ. :D If they started making some sort of competency test for congress/POTUS/SCOTUS, I betcha hardly anyone would qualify. :D

thoughtomator
12-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Court OKs barring high IQs for cops

http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836

No Free Beer
12-19-2012, 09:30 PM
forgive all loans.

now.

http://i.imgur.com/swr6V.gif

heavenlyboy34
12-19-2012, 09:34 PM
forgive all loans.

now.
Be forewarned: LE will lecture you a while on this.

No Free Beer
12-19-2012, 09:36 PM
no, but in all seriousness, I called Peter Schiff and he thinks a "bailout" is coming.

And soon.

No Free Beer
12-19-2012, 09:36 PM
Be forewarned: LE will lecture you a while on this.

I love reading Liberty Eagle's posts.

I welcome the discussion.

heavenlyboy34
12-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Court OKs barring high IQs for cops

http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836
ZOMG, LOL!! I couldn't do better if I were trying to write a satire about this. :D People are so fucking stupid in the world anymore...it's making good satire difficult. :/

heavenlyboy34
12-19-2012, 09:40 PM
I love reading Liberty Eagle's posts.

I welcome the discussion.
There's a college loan bailout thread around here somewhere...at least one forum survey and debate I know of.

No Free Beer
12-19-2012, 09:43 PM
There's a college loan bailout thread around here somewhere...at least one forum survey and debate I know of.

Any and every government student loan should be wiped.

heavenlyboy34
12-19-2012, 10:33 PM
Here's the other thread on this topic I was recalling: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?384133-debt-forgiveness-question/page2&highlight=student+loan Some interesting points brought up in there, IMO.

KrokHead
12-20-2012, 06:13 PM

In New York scoring higher on a civil service test makes it easier for you to be interviewed/hired. If you score too low you can't be "reached". One episode of Michael Moore's "The Awful Truth" (the wonderlick one) and everyone thinks that they purposely hire stupid people.

Seraphim
12-21-2012, 12:17 PM
It's a crime that student loans (Federal loans) are not dischargeable through bankruptcy. Nothing short of a crime.

shane77m
12-22-2012, 12:05 AM
I wish my wife could bankrupt on her Sallie Mae loans. I am hoping for a collapse and some debt being wiped clean.

I guess a guy can dream.

heavenlyboy34
12-22-2012, 12:35 AM
It's a crime that student loans (Federal loans) are not dischargeable through bankruptcy. Nothing short of a crime. yYou can thank your federal government for that-colluding with the loan industry and making up bullshit discrimination laws (which, as usual, had the opposite effect of the intent). :p