PDA

View Full Version : Whip Count for Boehner's tax bill

itshappening
12-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Republicans can afford only 24 defections if every Democrat votes no. Democratic leadership is whipping against the bill, though it remains unclear if the entire Democratic Caucus will oppose it. The bill could hit the House floor on Thursday.

REPUBLICANS

Firm No, Leaning No, Likely No (25)

Justin Amash (Mich.) Will vote no; voted against the rule

Joe Barton (Texas) Opposed

Paul Broun (Ga.) He is now a firm no; voted against the rule

John Fleming (La.) Leaning no

Trent Franks (Ariz.) Voted against the rule

Trey Gowdy (S.C.) Opposed

Louie Gohmert (Texas) Voted against the rule

Andy Harris (Md.) Voted against the rule

Tim Huelskamp (Kan.) Will vote no; voted against the rule

Walter Jones (N.C.) Voted against the rule

Jim Jordan (Ohio) Will vote no; voted against the rule

Raul Labrador (Idaho) “I’m a ‘Hell, no!’ ” he said.

Doug Lamborn (R-Colo.) Opposed

Jeff Landry (La.) Opposed; voted against the rule

Kenny Marchant (Texas) Leaning no

Thomas Massie (Ky.) Voted against the rule

Mick Mulvaney (S.C.) Opposed

Ron Paul (Texas) Voted against the rule

Steve Scalise (La.) Went from undecided to no after Rules Committee rejected his amendment

Jean Schmidt (Ohio) Voted against the rule

David Schweikert (Ariz.) Said on Twitter, "I'm a NO vote...bad tax hikes and no spending cuts."

Marlin Stutzman (Ind.) Opposed

Joe Walsh (Ill.) Will vote no; voted against the rule

Allen West (Fla.) Leaning no, citing sequester

Lynn Westmoreland (Ga.) Firm no

Undecided/Declined to answer (26)

Todd Akin (Mo.) Undecided

Michele Bachmann (Minn.) Tea Party leader declines to answer

Marsha Blackburn (Tenn.) Undecided

Charles Boustany (La.) Undecided

Michael Burgess (Texas) Undecided

Bill Cassidy (La.) Leadership seeking his vote

Jason Chaffetz (Utah) Declines to answer; has defected on other votes

Howard Coble (N.C.) Undecided. Usually a reliable vote on high-profile fiscal bills. Coble said, "I am praying about it."

Robert Hurt (Va.) Undecided

Jeff Flake (Ariz.) Flake heading to the Senate next year

Scott Garrett (N.J.) Declined to answer

Phil Gingrey (Ga.) Undecided

Billy Long (Mo.) Declined to answer

Buck McKeon (Calif.) Armed Services Committee Chairman said he is concerned about sequestration and is not sure he can vote for bill.

Tim Murphy (Pa.) Undecided

Kristi Noem (S.D.) Undecided

Tom Latham (Iowa) Latham is tight with Boehner

Cynthia Lummis (Wyo.) Undecided

Alan Nunnelee (Wis.) Not commenting at this time. Usually, a reliable vote for GOP leaders

Tom Price (Ga.) Undecided

Dana Rohrabacher (Calif.) Declined to answer

Tim Scott (S.C.) Soon-to-senator won't say

Steve Southerland (Fla.) Undecided

Lee Terry (Neb.) Undecided

Mike Turner (Ohio) Undecided

Bill Young (Fla.) Undecided, worried about sequester. Says he has talked to Boehner about addressing sequester in measure.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/273817-whip-count-house-lawmakers-positions-on-gop-plan-b-fiscal-cliff-bill

Contact Your Congressman Here:*

http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

* especially if they're GOP

sailingaway
12-19-2012, 03:20 PM
retweet it here: https://twitter.com/usernamenuse/status/281509155674677248

I don't like that Rohrabacher is not answering. I'll call his office.

FSP-Rebel
12-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Where's Massie?

Spoa
12-19-2012, 03:26 PM
bump for importance!

Also, the vote is expected to take place tomorrow. That would mean that there are two important votes for our movement:

1. Encourage reps to vote "NO" on NDAA 2013.
2. Encourage reps. to vote "NO" on Plan B.

Lots of calling, tweeting, facebooking, e-mailing, etc. needed!

itshappening
12-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the tweet.

Promoting RPF on twitter/facebook is critical to growth I think.

We could do with lots of new members for 2014 and beyond :-)

Please sign up if your lurking!

itshappening
12-19-2012, 03:29 PM
Contact Your Congressman Here:*

* especially if they're GOP

SpreadOfLiberty
12-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Where's Massie?Or Ron Paul?

itshappening
12-19-2012, 03:37 PM
This is from The Hill and being updated, think it's safe to say Ron will oppose it and depending how brave Massie feels will influence his vote

tsai3904
12-19-2012, 03:41 PM
This is from The Hill and being updated, think it's safe to say Ron will oppose it and depending how brave Massie feels will influence his vote

What are the details of Plan B?

I thought Plan B was extending Bush tax rates for everyone under $1 million. If that's true, wouldn't Ron Paul vote FOR Plan B because it's not raising rates on anyone and extending rates for most people?

sailingaway
12-19-2012, 03:45 PM

I thought Plan B was extending Bush tax rates for everyone under $1 million. If that's true, wouldn't Ron Paul vote FOR Plan B because it's not raising rates on anyone and extending rates for most people?

he might. It depends on what else is in it. Given that otherwise taxes automatically go up on Jan 1. The least taxes the better is how he sees it, it isn't as if they are going to put HIS budget on the table. It might depend on whether he thinks they will get better.

SpreadOfLiberty
12-19-2012, 03:46 PM

I thought Plan B was extending Bush tax rates for everyone under $1 million. If that's true, wouldn't Ron Paul vote FOR Plan B because it's not raising rates on anyone and extending rates for most people?I think that is what we should do, but I believe Plan B allows taxes to rise for those making 1 million or more.

tsai3904
12-19-2012, 03:47 PM
I think that is what we should do, but I believe Plan B allows taxes to rise for those making 1 million or more.

Yea but it will rise because the law will expire not because Plan B explicitly raises rates.

sailingaway
12-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Yea but it will rise because the law will expire not because Plan B explicitly raises rates.

Right. And Ron doesn't want tax rates to go up on EVERYONE, so going up on fewer is better, if he thinks the next compromise will be worse, given that Dems are voting against this as a block, according to the Hill's assumptions.

But I don't know this specific instance or what else is in the package. Ron has never once blinked on taxes once I actually looked at what he had in front of him, though.

SpreadOfLiberty
12-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Yea but it will rise because the law will expire not because Plan B explicitly raises rates.And that is why Norquist says it will not be in violation of the pledge.

itshappening
12-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Updated: 11 firm/likely No.

itshappening
12-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Updated:

Ron Paul is Undecided.

Ron Paul (Texas) Declined to say, maintains there might be "tricks" in the bill that could prevent all tax increases

sailingaway
12-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Updated:

Ron Paul is Undecided.

Ron Paul (Texas) Declined to say, maintains there might be "tricks" in the bill that could prevent all tax increases

on bill post mortems he has never been wrong yet, on taxes, I believe. I trust him more than any of the other players who are framing the information.

tsai3904
12-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Updated:

Ron Paul is Undecided.

I'm not sure why Amash is a firm No when I think the bill hasn't even been released yet.

mz10
12-19-2012, 04:41 PM
I wish Jim Jordan could be the perpetual RSC chair, that guy is the real deal.

On a side note, Plan B is the best $50 investment most college males will ever make, why vote against it? :D

sailingaway
12-19-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm not sure why Amash is a firm No when I think the bill hasn't even been released yet.

His constituents who don't know all of what is in it, just that Boehner can never be trusted to hold firm, probably asked him to vote no. And he might have some pressure to show he isn't caving to being knocked off committee. He can change when he sees the bill if there is something that changes things, if they are really given time to review it.

Ron has a lot of experience with 12th hour 'deals', Amash, less.

supermario21
12-19-2012, 05:40 PM
I've been pushing Jim Jordan for Speaker. He's somebody that can unite all the conservatives.

klamath
12-19-2012, 05:49 PM
It might have something to do with voting no on ANYTHING Boehner proposes. Might be a little personal.

Spoa
12-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Conservative Congressmen Mick Mulvaney and Jim Jordan are going to try to present a conservative alternative that would keep the tax breaks and offset the sequestration with spending cuts. They will try to get a vote on their amendment by asking permission from the rules committee tonight.

Read more here:
http://www.rollcall.com/news/house_gop_conservatives_to_make_pitch_for_extendin g_all_expiring_tax_cuts-220176-1.html

Spoa
12-19-2012, 07:42 PM
For any of you smart intellectuals who want to read all of the jargon and words of the text of Congressman Mulvaney and Jordan's amendment, you can read it here: http://www.rules.house.gov/amendments/MULVAN_074121912152205225.pdf

If you want a quick summary, here it is:

SUBSTITUTE Would permanently extends current income tax rates, permanently extends the 15% top rate on capital gains and dividend income, extends the lower rate and higher exemption levels for the “death tax,” patches the alternative minimum tax for 2012 and 2013 and extends increased small business expensing through 2013. Would replace the sequester with a lower Budget Control Act spending cap and certain reforms to prevent waste, fraud, and abuse, consistent with the House-passes Sequester Replacement Reconciliation Act of 2012.

sailingaway
12-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Sounds like Ron will vote yes on the amendment, but if it loses, he might also vote yes on the bill to at least avert SOME of the Bush cut revocations, depending on what else is in there.

Brett85
12-19-2012, 07:52 PM
We're supposed to oppose this? Ron will vote for this bill since to not vote for it would be to support a tax increase on everyone who makes less than 1 million per year. At least that's the reasoning Ron used when he was one of only three Republicans to vote in favor of a bill to extend the tax cuts for everyone making less than $250,000 per year.

supermario21
12-19-2012, 07:56 PM
I think there's a lot of confusion. It's really more posturing than anything else. I'd probably vote yes on all the bills, maybe present on the 250K one, yay on the million and yay on the amendment.

idiom
12-19-2012, 07:58 PM
We could ask 24 reps to abstain?

If both options are bad there is always option c.

Agorism
12-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Depending on how the final bill is worded, I don't really blame Paul for voting for it.

Boehner's rhetoric will be what was objectionable by the end of this.

sailingaway
12-19-2012, 08:53 PM
We could ask 24 reps to abstain?

If both options are bad there is always option c.

then the Dem vote would win, and Bush tax cuts would go away, unless their terms are met.

Agorism
12-19-2012, 11:12 PM
The bill is fine. Let it pass.

My only annoyance with it is if it includes debt ceiling extension in which case I would tentatively be against this thing.

sailingaway
12-19-2012, 11:15 PM
The bill is fine. Let it pass.

My only annoyance with it is if it includes debt ceiling extension in which case I would tentatively be against this thing.

So would Ron.

itshappening
12-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Updated: 25 Republicans voting No or likely No on Boehner bill. He can only afford 24 defections yet Majority leader Cantor claims it will pass.

It looks like it can only pass with Democrat defections at this point.

Boehner is playing a risky game here.

sailingaway
12-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Updated: 25 Republicans voting No or likely No on Boehner bill. He can only afford 24 defections yet Majority leader Cantor claims it will pass.

It looks like it can only pass with Democrat defections at this point.

Boehner is playing a risky game here.

I'd assume at least a couple blue dogs would defect, wouldn't they?

itshappening
12-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Yes, some blue dog Democrats will vote for the bill.

It may need their votes to pass and if it passes it will be on a slim majority that's what I can see from these numbers.

25 Republicans likely No is a big defection and considerably more than the 15 or so who have voted against the GOP budgets in the past.

We will have to wait and see if they follow through.

The reason the vote is late tonight is so they can twist some more arms and threaten members.

itshappening
12-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Boehner, Cantor and McCarthy are threatening members!

@JoshuaGreen
Good R source: "Right now there are btween 30-40 R no votes. But I'm told ppl being threatened with everything under the sun..." [1/2]
20 Dec 12

Joshua Green @JoshuaGreen
"-- gavels, chairs on committees etc. By the time the arm twisting is done tonight, I think Plan B passes barely." [2/2]

sailingaway
12-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Boehner, Cantor and McCarthy are threatening members!

@JoshuaGreen
Good R source: "Right now there are btween 30-40 R no votes. But I'm told ppl being threatened with everything under the sun..." [1/2]
20 Dec 12

Joshua Green @JoshuaGreen
"-- gavels, chairs on committees etc. By the time the arm twisting is done tonight, I think Plan B passes barely." [2/2]

This surprises you? From the people who just purged those who vote against leadership from committees?

itshappening
12-20-2012, 04:29 PM
I'm not surprised. it's going to be very close.

I think there are 25 or so blue dogs and I think they will all need to vote for it to get a slim majority if Republicans hold the line

sailingaway
12-20-2012, 04:31 PM
I hope the best way wins, I honestly don't know which that is. And then there is the fact that Boehner is being an asshole, which might influence my vote if I were Ron, but he's better than I am.

supermario21
12-20-2012, 04:51 PM
FIRE BOEHNER! VOTE FOR JIM JORDAN! This is the perfect time to do it.

LibertyEagle
12-20-2012, 05:04 PM
I called mine. I was pissed.

itshappening
12-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Republicans have voted to undo the defense cuts sequestration (ffs) 215-209

21 Republicans voted nay

Brett85
12-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Republicans have voted to undo the defense cuts sequestration (ffs) 215-209

21 Republicans voted nay

But they said that it was replaced with an equal amount of spending cuts to other areas. So I'm not sure what the right vote was on that.

itshappening
12-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Mulvaney is confirmed No and says S.C members are with him

GOP still trying to round up votes for Boehner's bill according to CSPAN.

1 hour of debate and then a vote coming up soon.