PDA

View Full Version : Barbara Boxer: Allow National Guard at schools

supermario21
12-19-2012, 10:18 AM
http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-congress/2012/12/boxer-proposes-letting-governors-use-national-guard-152409.html

Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) is proposing allowing governors to use National Guard troops to increase security at schools in the wake of the Newtown, Conn. shooting.

Boxer, who said the legislation is modeled after a previous law that had National Guard troops help with border security, would allow governors to decide how troops would be used at schools. While a governor already has the power to send troops to a school, the legislation would allow for the governors to access federal funds for those troops, she said.

While not ruling out the possibility of military-clad National Guard troops at school entrances, Boxer also said those troops could be used to help improve infrastructure at schools or relieve police officers from desk work that would allow the police departments to assign more cops to schools.

Boxer pointed to the $640 billion national defense bill and argued that some of those funds should be used to protect schools.

“Is it not part of the national defense to make sure our children are safe?” Boxer said.

nobody's_hero
12-19-2012, 10:25 AM
I wonder if teachers who are members of the national guard must disarm.

How does that play out?:

"Oh sorry, I see you're a teacher, so you can't have a gun here. Wait, are you changing clothes? Did you just put on your uniform? Okay now you can carry. Wait, you changed clothes again. Sorry, I think something magical just happened and you're a teacher again, so hand over the .40."

Like playing peek-a-boo with a baby who thinks you disappear when you put your hands over your face, gun-grabbers think there's some invisible forcefield which separates school campuses from the rest of reality.

TonySutton
12-19-2012, 10:28 AM
No it is not part of our national defense to make sure our children are safe!

This is very simple, remove the federal gun free zone and allow communities to decide how they want to respond.

jclay2
12-19-2012, 10:29 AM

This is very simple, remove the federal gun free zone and allow communities to decide how they want to respond.

Better yet, end public ejumakation

Deborah K
12-19-2012, 10:48 AM
I hope they add metal detectors, armed guards, oh hell, just put the TSA at all public schools! And while they're at it, chip all the publicly educated students - but leave the rest of us and our children and granchildren alone! Seems like it's time to draw a clear distinction here - the FREE, and the UNfree.

Kotin
12-19-2012, 11:01 AM
All protection in the hands of the state = no protection at all. Just more thugs with guns and too much "authority"

ravedown
12-19-2012, 11:15 AM
she wants more guns in a gun free zone? so which is it already? i guess the national guard are robots that only do the right thing and are totally stable- except for the Iraq and Afghanistan suicidal vets with PTSD and that soldier that shot up Fort Hood, and the other that shot the park ranger etc....

oyarde
12-19-2012, 11:16 AM
What good would a National Guard troop be ?? they would not issue ammo to them.

Acala
12-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Each school should have a drone circling its airspace

Brian4Liberty
12-19-2012, 11:41 AM
IIRC, Hannity was supporting this idea on his radio show yesterday.

It's dangerous but typical when the left and right agree on something like this (more government).

Let Principals, Vice Principals and Teachers carry. No need for troops or cops at every single school. Who will pay for it? Another big expense to have someone stand around and wait for something rarer than winning the lottery.

seraphson
12-19-2012, 11:43 AM
"D-Calif."

/closetab

Todd
12-19-2012, 11:48 AM
What good would a National Guard troop be ?? they would not issue ammo to them.

lol. True to a point. I'll assure you that the Guard that were stationed in airport security following 911 were armed.

JK/SEA
12-19-2012, 12:16 PM
hmmm...just cut out the middleman. Have armed TSA agents teach the kids. voila!...2 birds with one stone.

Pericles
12-19-2012, 01:06 PM
lol. True to a point. I'll assure you that the Guard that were stationed in airport security following 911 were armed.

But how much ammunition? During the Cold War, on border patrol, we had 60 rounds per man. Not quite enough to resist Soviet invasion.

Acala
12-19-2012, 01:52 PM

It's dangerous but typical when the left and right agree on something like this (more government).

Let Principals, Vice Principals and Teachers carry. No need for troops or cops at every single school. Who will pay for it? Another big expense to have someone stand around and wait for something rarer than winning the lottery.

Government wants the only people with guns to be under THEIR command.

Pericles
12-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Government wants the only people with guns to be under THEIR command.

This is the key point. The founders of the US rejected the concept of a government "monopoly of violence" which is an idol of faith to tyrants.

Acala
12-19-2012, 02:13 PM
This is the key point. The founders of the US rejected the concept of a government "monopoly of violence" which is an idol of faith to tyrants.

Yup. The Founders even had serious doubts about letting the government have command of a standing army.

heavenlyboy34
12-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Yup. The Founders even had serious doubts about letting the government have command of a standing army.
The Anti-Federalists much more so than the authors of the Constitution. (i.e. George Mason) One of the weaknesses of the Constitution is that it gave the regime the power to start a professional army. :(

dannno
12-19-2012, 02:48 PM

What about puppies??

GunnyFreedom
12-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Putting the National Guard in schools is over the top stupid. However, there are lots and lots of unemployed veterans in every school district who would probably enjoy making a living out of protecting their alma matter and or children's school. Keep it very very local and you would get all of the self defense and none of the suppressive tyranny. :)

sailingaway
12-19-2012, 03:09 PM
I'd much rather have armed teachers, thanks.

Sola_Fide
12-19-2012, 03:12 PM
“Is it not part of the national defense to make sure our children are safe?” Boxer said.

No, its not.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
12-19-2012, 03:14 PM

AND CITIZENS.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
12-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Putting the National Guard in schools is over the top stupid. However, there are lots and lots of unemployed veterans in every school district who would probably enjoy making a living out of protecting their alma matter and or children's school. Keep it very very local and you would get all of the self defense and none of the suppressive tyranny. :)

I've bit my tongue on this so far in other places. There's no reason to have a veteran hiring preference. In fact, there are reasons against it.

Mach
12-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Talk about extremism..... oh, sorry..... "nice" extremism.

Here she is.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0UZuwHufUc

acptulsa
12-23-2012, 11:47 PM
So, the national guard is now officially a full-time job? Never mind if your employer is holding your job for you or not--you're now as permenant as any 'regular army' soldier. If we can't find you a war (and, of course, we can always find you a war), we'll find you a school.

You didn't sign up to be a full time soldier, but you did sign up. So, this isn't a draft. It's just, well, your basic breach of contract, that's all.

Anti Federalist
12-24-2012, 12:45 AM
So...Boxer and LaPierre are in agreement then?

John F Kennedy III
12-24-2012, 12:55 AM
Each school should have a drone circling its airspace

Drones fly over Mesa. I'm sure there are schools here.

John F Kennedy III
12-24-2012, 01:11 AM
I've bit my tongue on this so far in other places. There's no reason to have a veteran hiring preference. In fact, there are reasons against it.

I'd trust Gunny to decide which are fit for the job. Which sucks cuz he can't evaluate them all...

There are plenty of unemployed people, sure, and I HATE hiring preferences towards anyone, but you need someone who can remain calm and hit targets in a crowd. With as close to 100% accuracy as possible, beyond that even, take each target down with one bullet. Not many people meet this requirement better than war veterans.

I'd feel mighty damn safe with Carlos Hathcock at my school ;)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Hathcock

If you're not familiar with him, do some research. You know the ridiculously impossible things you only see happen in movies? That's him, only for real.

EgoistX
12-24-2012, 01:18 AM
pat downs and cavity searches for children. Maybe even a bit of enhanced interrogation

Philhelm
12-24-2012, 03:30 AM
I think the children would be much safer if we handed over sole custody of them to the government. Since schools have been targeted for gun violence, an enormous wall should be built around them and manned by armed security. Logically, it would be unsafe for the children to leave the safety of the school, so they would also be quartered there permanently. That would solve the problem.

Humanae Libertas
12-24-2012, 03:36 AM
Time to pull your kids out of public schools. TSA agents will mostly likely be the "armed" folks the NRA wants.

John F Kennedy III
12-24-2012, 04:07 PM
I think the children would be much safer if we handed over sole custody of them to the government. Since schools have been targeted for gun violence, an enormous wall should be built around them and manned by armed security. Logically, it would be unsafe for the children to leave the safety of the school, so they would also be quartered there permanently. That would solve the problem.

Will that be enough to wake anyone up?

sailingaway
12-24-2012, 05:58 PM
I think Ron answered this in his Texas straight talk, and I think more papers picked up his than hers. I live in CA and I only know she did it from here.

tangent4ronpaul
12-24-2012, 07:01 PM

and moats full of gators, ya gotta have moats... and punji sticks, and razor wire and watch towers with mini-guns...

Remember, it's for the children!

I actually like that Boxer is calling for this. She's normally a gun grabbing cheer leader, so her taking the NRA's side is refreshing for a Senator with such an abysmal record on gun rights.

-t

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
12-24-2012, 07:29 PM

No. :(

AGRP
12-24-2012, 08:24 PM
Doesnt the NRA support anything that dosent infringe on the second amendment? Wasnt that essentially their official position when they had to explain their endorsement of Pelosi?

seyferjm
12-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Will Grigg's response:

Democratic Senator Barbara Boxer of California, a bottomless fountain of foolishness, has proposed a measure that would permit governors to deploy National Guard troops to provide "security" at government-run schools.

"Is it not part of the national defense to make sure that your children are safe?" Boxer asked during a Capitol Hill press conference in the misguided belief that this content-free trope somehow constituted compelling wisdom.

She blithely stated that her proposal wouldn’t be a violation of the Posse Comitatus Act (which was supposed to prevent the domestic use of the military for the purpose of law enforcement) because it would allow governors to re-purpose troops who are already being used for drug interdiction operations. That is to say, the militarization of schools wouldn’t constitute a new Posse Comitatus violation, but rather expand on an existing one.

http://lewrockwell.com/grigg/grigg-w297.html

Anti Federalist
12-25-2012, 02:22 AM

No. :(

I concur.

No.

John F Kennedy III
12-25-2012, 11:13 AM
I concur.

No.

It's really sad that even that level of in-your-face tyranny wouldn't help wake anyone help.

Well that poll the other day had 17% of the people saying we have TOO MUCH INDIVIDUAL FREEDOM....

Warrior_of_Freedom
12-25-2012, 11:29 AM

Unfortunately where I live cops at schools have become necessary because of kid snatchers trying to take kids.