PDA

View Full Version : Drones for the public $119

Pauls' Revere
12-18-2012, 08:07 PM
You will soon be able to own your very own Dragonfly Drone.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/developers-selling-dragonfly-robotic-drone-around-100-230833631.html

So, what would the average person want with a tiny spy drone the size of an insect? The Dragonfly comes equipped with high-definition cameras and can be operated with an iPhone.

If spying isn’t your thing, you could use the Dragonfly for more recreational purposes, like filming a skiing trip or even filming outside your home to supplement a home security system.

“The Dragonflies are indistinguishable from an insect in the environment,” reads a description on the Indiegogo site. “Imagine that level of camouflage guarding your house or keeping a watch on your kids/family; it literally goes unnoticed.”

And so far, people seem to be ready to invest in the project. Initially, Ratti and Jones had a goal of raising $111,000. With about two weeks left in the fundraising drive, they’ve already secured more than $350,000 from nearly 1,000 donors.

Of course, even some of the positive reviews come with a cautionary note, as TechCrunch deadpans, “This robotic dragonfly will soon flit into your nightmares.”

Dam, imagine the network of images from thousands of these flying around.

Dr.3D
12-18-2012, 08:37 PM
If this is soon to be available to the public, just imagine how small the ones are that the CIA must be using.

Edit: I'll bet the government has some as small as a house fly.

SpreadOfLiberty
12-18-2012, 08:39 PM
I may get one.

ronpaulfollower999
12-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Okay, who is the smart kid that comes up with some type of drone repellent? Last thing I want is some perv with a drone the size of a house fly watching me eat, shower, sleep, crap, etc.

Pauls' Revere
12-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Okay, who is the smart kid that comes up with some type of drone repellent? Last thing I want is some perv with a drone the size of a house fly watching me eat, shower, sleep, crap, etc.

gone are the days of the vouyer peeping through binoculars.

sailingaway
12-18-2012, 09:25 PM
It's probably a good idea. Think of all the law suits over privacy invasion. Against civilians, of course. It may wake some people up.

Matt Collins
12-18-2012, 10:15 PM
If this is soon to be available to the public, just imagine how small the ones are that the CIA must be using.

It's actually using off-the-shelf technologies. Every cellphone has an accelerometer and gps in it. Gyros aren't that expensive either. Wired Magazine has an AWESOME article about the DIY/civilian drone startup industry: http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/06/ff_drones/all/

It's a great read

Dr.3D
12-18-2012, 10:16 PM
It's probably a good idea. Think of all the law suits over privacy invasion. Against civilians, of course. It may wake some people up.
So the folks at City Hall wouldn't be happy with a drone fly on their wall?

sailingaway
12-18-2012, 10:22 PM

I think that theory will probably be tested....

tangent4ronpaul
12-18-2012, 10:35 PM

Pretty cool, but it looks more like a couple of butterflies than a dragonfly in flight.

Drone repellant, hu?

I'd first mention that I don't think the battery life is going to be that good, and it's going to depend on how it's flying (flight mode - hover is probably worst) and if it is broadcasting.

Flight control seems to be by several options:
Regular old RC. In this case, good range, but easily jammed.
WiFi - I'm guessing this is how one would control it via a cell phone by turning a compatible one into a WiFi hotspot. The range isn't going to be great, maybe 450 ft, maybe more, depending on hardware. You can get WiFi antennas that will boost range for laptops. Possible to jam.
Pre-Programmed flight path via GPS, Accelerometers, Gyroscopes or Magnetrometers are going to be very hard to impossible to jam. The GPS can be, the others, not. This of course is a fly and wait type thing with no way to re-program if it finds something interesting.

Best option for a micro-droid flyswatter is probably one of those low power EMP guns you can find instructions for on the net.

Overall, pretty impressive.

While larger packages have been available for some time, I would expect export restrictions (or worse) on the avionic cards, as these guys have developed something smaller than your thumb that is capable of delivering a cruise missile to it's destination for $100 or so a pop. Granted, GPS will cut out for any object traveling too fast, but you only need an initial set of coordinates.

-t

tangent4ronpaul
12-18-2012, 10:54 PM
It's actually using off-the-shelf technologies. Every cellphone has an accelerometer and gps in it. Gyros aren't that expensive either. Wired Magazine has an AWESOME article about the DIY/civilian drone startup industry: http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/06/ff_drones/all/

It's a great read

Somewhere I have a good, older book on this called something like "Cruise missile proliferation in the 1990's" that discusses the various sensors and obstacles for a third world nation or terrorist organization to DIY one. Very relative to the current topic as it applies to avionics. I will check out that article - Thanks!

I think that theory will probably be tested....

I'm sure it will be tested!

One issue I see with them is that they appear to be of seasonal use. How many flying insects of that mass do you see in December?

-t

SpreadOfLiberty
12-18-2012, 11:01 PM
Okay, who is the smart kid that comes up with some type of drone repellent? Last thing I want is some perv with a drone the size of a house fly watching me eat, shower, sleep, crap, etc.What, a low level emp? Communications jammer? Probably wouldn't be too hard to come up with. Still, I want one to play with.