PDA

View Full Version : Obama warns Britain must remain in the EU

itshappening
12-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Britain will be weaker without EU, says USA

The Obama administration has expressed concern at what US officials see as Britain's slide towards the European exit door.

Washington firmly believes that the departure of its strongest partner in Europe would also reduce American influence on the continent, as Britain so often shares American views.

An EU without Britain would be seen as weaker on free trade and less reliable on defence and foreign policy issues.

With David Cameron now saying a Britain out of Europe was now "imaginable", US agitation has reached a new high.

After observing the rise in popularity of Ukip and the rise of anti-European sentiment generally, the issue was raised by President Barack Obama in a video-conference call with the Prime Minister on Tuesday. It was also high on the agenda of a visit by a US national security council official to Downing Street and the Foreign Office earlier this week.

"It is important to state very clearly that a strong UK in a strong Europe is in America's national interest," said a senior US administration official.

"We recognise national states but see the EU as a force multiplier."

The White House is perplexed by the view held by some Euro-sceptics that the so-called Special Relationship would be enhanced by a British exit, because it believes Britain would have more clout as a full partner of the European club.

It acknowledges that some countries, like Britain, matter more than others in the EU, dismissing the notion that Washington only wants one phone number to dial for Europe to make life easier.

Britain's free trade philosophy is regarded as vital in preventing the union from drifting towards protectionism, while since World War Two, successive British governments have been more assertive on a variety of foreign policy issues, and more in line with American thinking, than other major European nations.

"We understand that a Europe without the UK would be a weaker Europe," said a Whitehall source.

"We are getting more and more questions about this, particularly from the US and China. People want to know what it would mean.

"But at the moment we are focussed on making Europe work better for us. We are on focussing on free trade, the single market and commerce. We are committed to making the EU more competitive."

With the eurozone still in danger of collapse, and momentum building on the continent for greater fiscal and political union, the Government has edged towards holding a referendum on EU membership.

Conservatives are increasingly envisaging a future where Britain's involvement withdraws from European institution and limits its connections to the single market and free trade.

Ukip, which supports withdrawal from the union Britain joined under a Conservative government in 1973, has enjoyed strong showings in recent by-elections and has overtaken the Lib Dems to poll at between seven and 14 per cent.

The coalition is already considering opting out of numerous common judicial and policing measures contained in the Lisbon Treaty, which enshrined closer European integration, most notably the European arrest warrant.

Adding to American apprehension about Europe is the eurozone's slide back into recession, which Hillary Clinton, the US Secretary of State, has attributed to "austerity policies taking effect".

"I want to urge European leaders to keep working to address the challenge of economic growth and jobs," she said.

Senior US officials believe that even if an immediate threat of collapse has passed, eurozone leaders have not resolved problems in manner that gives long-term comfort.

William Dartmouth MEP, Ukip's foreign affairs spokesman said: "There have been times in history when the US has been very pleased that Britain has remained independent of the continent, and we expect that to continue.

"It is not the job of the UK to make the work of US diplomats easier. It is our job to secure our own interests."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/9754042/Britain-will-be-weaker-without-EU-says-USA.html

Confederate
12-18-2012, 04:49 PM
I really do hope that the UK holds a referendum on continued EU membership. I don't think they should divorce completely from the Continent, but a relationship similar to that which EFTA countries have with the EU would be much better. Also, the UK should move towards a renewing a close relationship with the Commonwealth.

itshappening
12-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Obama is against secession.

No surprise there!

gwax23
12-18-2012, 05:20 PM
the UK should leave. The EU needs to die a bitter death. Believers of liberty need to understand the EU is the antithesis of our cause. Big government, lead by elite unelected beaucrats most of who are closest marxists. Free trade, open borders, customs union, etc are good but this political, monetary centralization are whats wrong. It wants to become a federation, destroy the nation state and pave the way for a new USSR in my opinion. Let the EU fall. Britain can maintain trade just like Switzerland, Norway and other non EU countries have done. You dont need the EU the EU needs them.

Matt Collins
12-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Obama is against secession.

No surprise there!Yeah, not just from his government, but from every other government too.

itshappening
12-18-2012, 05:39 PM
Yeah, not just from his government, but from every other government too.

He wants a consolidated power structure. Total globalist pig!

itshappening
12-18-2012, 05:41 PM
UKIP calls itself a libertarian party, though it isnt completely it's a start.

http://www.ukip.org/

Confederate
12-18-2012, 05:43 PM
UKIP calls itself a libertarian party, though it isnt completely it's a start.

http://www.ukip.org/

I voted for them in the EU parliamentary elections in 2009.

VIDEODROME
12-18-2012, 06:02 PM
So how is Iceland doing? I don't recall if they joined there was a lot protesting. Is it still argued they would be better off joining this mess?

sailingaway
12-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Britain should do what it wants, but I root for it to get out.

sailingaway
12-18-2012, 07:05 PM
So how is Iceland doing? I don't recall if they joined there was a lot protesting. Is it still argued they would be better off joining this mess?

they are booming.

Confederate
12-18-2012, 07:12 PM
they are booming.

They're third quarter 2012 GDP growth was -6.1%

sailingaway
12-18-2012, 07:32 PM
They're third quarter 2012 GDP growth was -6.1%

honestly, I'd have to see how they calculate that. Is that down from massive govt spending from borrowing? The reports I've seen lately said they turned the corner and were now doing better than Europe, percentage wise. I didn't research it, I read a couple of things. If you have a better link, I'll read that.

nano1895
12-18-2012, 10:24 PM
Arrogance at its finest.

jmdrake
12-18-2012, 10:25 PM
So when does he send predator drones to London?