PDA

View Full Version : Were you planning on giving more than $200 on the 16th?

dante
11-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Guys please let's not forget that the 16th is asking you for a pledge of $100 not $500 or $700 or $1,000 like I hear a lot of you are going to spend on the 16th.

While I agree that Bydlak's email needed to be conveyed differently I think we all can agree we were expecting another fundraising email between now and the 16th. To go 30 days raising 20-25k each day leading up to the 16th of Dec. is not good. Its frankly a couple weeks of wasted fundraising as any of us or anyone else who gives between now and then is not going to renege on their pledge for the 16th. We didn't halt fundraising to a crawl before the 5th. Especially not almost a month out.

Now if an email like this came out 1-2 weeks before the 16th I think everyone would be perfectly justified in crying foul. But as of today we have 25 days to go. Let's make the next 11 days all good steady fundraising, and then slow down in the week or two leading up to the 16th. Which is basically what Bydlak was telling us when he said they needed money in the next two weeks. And for all you complaining about the late notice. I think its late notice because the campaign has revised their strategy and upgraded it based upon the progress made to date. And as such they need more money to be even more aggressive in the early states now and to get a head start on laying the groundwork for victory in the super Tuesday states now. I repeat this is a good sign!

Ladies and Gentleman there are 25 days between now and the 16th. If you were planning on giving more than $200 on that day, give $100 of it now and spend thanksgiving and the remaining time between now and the 16th convincing another new donor to give $100. Remember there was a reason the moneybombs were a small dollar amount large donor base initiative. We can keep it that way and still meet our goals, and at the same time give some more money to the campaign now.

Just my rapidly depreciating $.02 Thanks for reading

jrich4rpaul
11-21-2007, 09:07 AM
I was going to give a lot (over $500 possibly) on the 16th. Now I'm sticking to the $100 pledge, and donating on each day another candidate attempts a money bomb.

CelestialRender
11-21-2007, 09:15 AM
Still donating $234 on the 16th. The campaign has no idea what they're talking about.

jrich4rpaul
11-21-2007, 09:18 AM
Still donating $234 on the 16th. The campaign has no idea what they're talking about.

I do understand that they need more now for more ads. The combination of a little bit now for extra ads + more later for an explosive world record day on the 16th will just be gold. We definately need to do everything we can for the 16th, but still give a little bit now.

Mithridates
11-21-2007, 09:22 AM
I kept this to myself before the campaign sent out the email yesterday, but now that it's out in the open I think this would be the best method:

Keep $100 away for the 16th

Whenever you free up some money, put a third of it into the 16th fund, keep another third for regular donations like the weekly money bomb, and put another third away for impromptu events like yesterday's battle with Huckabee.

That means that if you free up $30, the account for the 16th will be $110, $10 will be there for this week, and another $10 to put away for when something urgent comes up. And if nothing particularly urgent comes up by the 16th, put all that in the 16th account.

lawdida
11-21-2007, 09:49 AM
The campaign’s goal is $12,000,000 by the end of the year. That averages to about $130,435 a day (rounding up to the nearest dollar). That means by the end of the day today we should have about $6,782,620. No problem there. By the morning of the 16th we should have about $9,913,060 to stay on schedule. Right now, we’re at about $8,908,000. We’ll have to average about $39,415 a day to get $9,913,060 by the end of the 15th. We’re not just on schedule to meet the $12,000,000 goal by the end of the month (without any more money bombs), we’re ahead of schedule.

We’re not supposed to raise all the money in the second week of the last month…and we’re not.

dante
11-21-2007, 09:59 AM
The campaign’s go is $12,000,000 by the end of the year. That averages to about $130,435 a day (rounding up to the nearest dollar). That means by the end of the day today we should have about $6,782,620. No problem there. By the morning of the 16th we should have about $9,913,060 to stay on schedule. Right now, we’re at about $8,908,000. We’ll have to average about $39,415 a day to get $9,913,060 by the end of the 15th. We’re not just on schedule to meet the $12,000,000 goal by the end of the month (without any more money bombs), we’re ahead of schedule.

We’re not supposed to raise all the money in the second week of the last month…and we’re not.

True BUT I think the campaign is revising their strategy to anticipate more funds in an all out effort to win. Thus they are asking for more money sooner rather than later.

akovacs
11-21-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm saving the vast majority for the 16th. Most of my funds are tied up now anyway, so I wouldn't be able to spend it sooner even if I wanted to.

lawdida
11-21-2007, 12:07 PM
True BUT I think the campaign is revising their strategy to anticipate more funds in an all out effort to win. Thus they are asking for more money sooner rather than later.

That may be true but that wasn't the argument he made in the email he sent out. If they want to change the goal, they should raise the bar now (or give us some idea that they're going to revise it in the future). Also, they can spend everything they have now, knowing more will come in on the 16th.

I guess my problem is that the email seemed a little over the top considering the goals haven't changed and that we've made so much progress. Nevertheless, they know more about this stuff than I do. If they think it's worth getting money now at the expense of a record fundraising day later, even if it could mean less money overall, then I'll defer to their judgment. They're in a better position to make that determination than I am (of course, that was the kind reasoning I used to not oppose the invasion of Iraq so...).

BeFranklin
11-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Instead of saving up, I'm going to plop mine in before then, and recruit five more people not currently donors to donate in my place. While there is a risk I can't find more people, I think the full charge ahead option makes more sense.

ItsTime
11-21-2007, 01:32 PM
I am 100% sure the campaign knows a lot more than you.

But I do not want to discourage you from donating. Its your money do what you want and when you want to do with it. :D

Corydoras
11-21-2007, 09:00 PM
Instead of saving up, I'm going to plop mine in before then, and recruit five more people not currently donors to donate in my place. While there is a risk I can't find more people, I think the full charge ahead option makes more sense.

I think that's a really, really good strategy. We need new donors anyway, so no matter when anybody donates, they should be looking for new donors.

aknappjr
11-22-2007, 11:16 AM
My girlfriend is doubling what she gave on Nov. 5 ($500) to $1000!

And my dad was so impressed with Nov. 5 that he'll give too.

I've been tasked with raising $23,000 for Ron Paul's campaign.
Help me out - use the code "AVERYK" when you donate to Ron please.

literatim
11-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Guys please let's not forget that the 16th is asking you for a pledge of $100 not $500 or $700 or $1,000 like I hear a lot of you are going to spend on the 16th.

While I agree that Bydlak's email needed to be conveyed differently I think we all can agree we were expecting another fundraising email between now and the 16th. To go 30 days raising 20-25k each day leading up to the 16th of Dec. is not good. Its frankly a couple weeks of wasted fundraising as any of us or anyone else who gives between now and then is not going to renege on their pledge for the 16th. We didn't halt fundraising to a crawl before the 5th. Especially not almost a month out.

Now if an email like this came out 1-2 weeks before the 16th I think everyone would be perfectly justified in crying foul. But as of today we have 25 days to go. Let's make the next 11 days all good steady fundraising, and then slow down in the week or two leading up to the 16th. Which is basically what Bydlak was telling us when he said they needed money in the next two weeks. And for all you complaining about the late notice. I think its late notice because the campaign has revised their strategy and upgraded it based upon the progress made to date. And as such they need more money to be even more aggressive in the early states now and to get a head start on laying the groundwork for victory in the super Tuesday states now. I repeat this is a good sign!

Ladies and Gentleman there are 25 days between now and the 16th. If you were planning on giving more than $200 on that day, give $100 of it now and spend thanksgiving and the remaining time between now and the 16th convincing another new donor to give $100. Remember there was a reason the moneybombs were a small dollar amount large donor base initiative. We can keep it that way and still meet our goals, and at the same time give some more money to the campaign now.

Just my rapidly depreciating $.02 Thanks for reading

How about people quit making threads and telling what other people should donate and when? :mad:

If December 16th ends up being a failure, we will know where to lay part of the blame.

krott5333
11-22-2007, 11:23 AM
im thinking $400 on the 16th.

from now til then? maybe $25.

please feel free to argue with me about this.

thanks.

Corydoras
11-22-2007, 11:27 AM
please feel free to argue with me about this.

I would do differently in your position, but for what reason are you in so much doubt as to the correctness of your decision that you are inviting someone to try to change your mind?

krott5333
11-22-2007, 11:31 AM
I would do differently in your position, but for what reason are you in so much doubt as to the correctness of your decision that you are inviting someone to try to change your mind?

oh i dunno, I just like to stir up the stink.

The Nov. 5th money bomb gave us quite a big boost, so I think another one twice as big would give us a boost twice as big.

krott5333
11-22-2007, 11:31 AM
I am 100% sure the campaign knows a lot more than you.

thats a baseless assumption. Many of the people from the "campaign" started out as grassroots volunteers.. the fact that they are now being paid doesnt make them any smarter.

McDermit
11-22-2007, 12:06 PM
We're getting my ex's brother, a few cousins, and an aunt to all max out on the 16th. And none of them are donating a penny prior.

McDermit
11-22-2007, 12:07 PM
People need to realize that Bydlak knows NOTHING about campaigning or fundraising.

He's a 23 year old economics major with no practical experience. He wasn't even overly active as a grassroots volunteer. He shouldn't have the position he does.

krott5333
11-22-2007, 12:07 PM
We're getting my ex's brother, a few cousins, and an aunt to all max out on the 16th. And none of them are donating a penny prior.

but but but but but they need the money now!!!! :rolleyes: