PDA

View Full Version : Senator-elect Ted Cruz discusses Syria WMDs during meeting with Netanyahu

compromise
12-18-2012, 03:26 PM
http://www.jta.org/news/article/2012/12/17/3114696/cruz-in-israel-talks-syria-with-netanyahu

WASHINGTON (JTA) -- Ted Cruz, the Republican senator-elect from Texas, on his first visit to Israel discussed the civil war in Syria with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

"In my view the United States should stand unshakably alongside the nation of Israel," Cruz said at his meeting Monday with Netanyahu.

At the meeting, Netanyahu emphasized the threat of the potential use of chemical weapons as the civil war in Syria becomes more chaotic.

"Israel and the United States have close consultations about this issue and it highlights the dangers of these regimes receiving such weapons, and these weapons can even go from there to terrorist organizations," he said. "This is a threat to Israel, a threat to America, a threat to others in this region."

Cruz was the favorite of the Tea Party in this year's Texas election, and is likely to be its standard-bearer in the Senate now that Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) is retiring.

Pro-Israel and Jewish groups have had a wary relationship with the conservative movement, pushing back against some of its budget-slashing proposals, particularly related to foreign assistance, but welcoming the pro-Israel fervor of candidates like Cruz.

Cruz thanked Netanyahu and Israel "for its leadership for democratic values in a very dangerous region of the world, also for your leadership protecting the security of the nation and ultimately of the United States as well, with respect to weapons of mass destruction, whether in Syria or Iran or elsewhere, and I look forward to continuing to work together to strengthen that friendship."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9u1sLQRZuQ

While I'm personally pro-Israel, I really don't like Likudniks. It is disappointing than Cruz has chosen to back intervention in Syria and to stand with the Muslim Brotherhood and Al-Qaeda there - Assad may be an oppressive dictator, but the alternative is much worse, both for Israel and the USA. I'm surprised Republicans are so willing to believe the exact same "WMD" BS that was used 10 years ago to justify invading Iraq and turning it into an Islamist-dominated wasteland. I had hope when a lot of them came out against Libya, but now I realize that it was only because Libya was a humanitarian Obama war. The moment "WMDs" start being mentioned, the Republican Party goes crazy. When Rand goes to Israel in January, I hope he clearly says no to Netanyahu's demands with regards to Syria.

Brett85
12-18-2012, 03:28 PM
It sounds like Cruz won't even be as good as Demint. Demint at least voted against the no fly zone in Syria and opposed any military action there.

SpreadOfLiberty
12-18-2012, 03:30 PM
He didn't really call for action, which isn't to say he would or wouldn't support it.

compromise
12-18-2012, 03:45 PM
He didn't really call for action, which isn't to say he would or wouldn't support it.
I'll change the title.

itshappening
12-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Cruz worked for the Bush campaign, goes to show you all you need to know. His campaign probably has many people who worked for Bush and the like in Texas..

He's also been tapped for the NRSC and for leadership before he's even been sworn in. He looks set for a rapid rise through the ranks.

I don't trust him at all.

itshappening
12-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Just watched the video. Notice how Netanyahu goes straight for the jugular. WMD, threat to America etc.

I wonder if he will meet Rand Paul.

The correct response to Netanyahu would have been 'with respect sir, we heard about WMD's in Iraq and they never materalized but i'd be happy to look at any evidence you have that Syria are preparing to use chemical weapons'.

Cruz was immediately dominated in that exchange.

HOLLYWOOD
12-18-2012, 06:42 PM
Ted Cruz is just like Viriginia governor Bob McDonnell, an Expertaneous talking up of the US Constitution/small Gov/Blah Blah, then throws it all out the window after the election.

DylanWaco
12-18-2012, 06:47 PM
I for one am SHOCKED that Ted Cruz is turning out to be poor on foreign policy..........

itshappening
12-18-2012, 06:50 PM
He got totally owned by Netanyahu who came out with a dominating speech in front of the camera's.

Cruz is a wuss but then again so are most "leaders" when it comes to Israel.

Netanyahu will do everything to keep the $3bn/year flowing his way and also to keep Israel in a permanent threat situation to aid his own re-election.

HOLLYWOOD
12-18-2012, 06:53 PM
He got totally owned by Netanyahu who came out with a dominating speech in front of the camera's.

Cruz is a wuss but then again so are most "leaders" when it comes to Israel.

Netanyahu will do everything to keep the $3bn/year flowing his way and also to keep Israel in a permanent threat situation to aid his own re-election.It's a lot more than $3 Billion a year.

Israel receives so much aid in all kinds of forms, that the analysis of the trade agreement is classified TOP SECRET.