PDA

View Full Version : Michael Moore: Did SSRI Antidepressants Cause Columbine?

Peace Piper
12-18-2012, 03:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04UqzYOdGNs
www.youtube.com/watch?v=04UqzYOdGNs

tttppp
12-18-2012, 03:43 PM
I cant view the video but just based on experience anti depressents are some of the worst meds ever created. It wouldnt surpriise me if it causes violence in many cases.

donnay
12-18-2012, 03:49 PM
This is one instance I will agree with Michael Moore. An independent investigation is needed. Enough information is here: http://www.ssristories.com/index.php?sort=date

brandon
12-18-2012, 03:54 PM
I cant view the video but just based on experience anti depressents are some of the worst meds ever created. It wouldnt surpriise me if it causes violence in many cases.

Im definitely not a fan of Pysch drugs, but most of the real crazy adverse effects seem to be limited to teenagers. I know a lot of adults who take them successfully and benefit from it.

acptulsa
12-18-2012, 04:18 PM
Im definitely not a fan of Pysch drugs, but most of the real crazy adverse effects seem to be limited to teenagers. I know a lot of adults who take them successfully and benefit from it.

So why didn't the FDA tell us this already? How is this twenty-year-old, allegedly 'suffering' from the now officially non-syndrome Asperger's, given a scrip for an anti-psychotic aimed (according to the manufacturer) at schizophrenics? Is this negligence by the FDA, malfeasance by Big Pharma, or outright malpractice by a licensed member of the psychiatric community?

jj-
12-18-2012, 04:19 PM

If it provokes desires to kill or commit suicide in just 1% of the users, that can cause enough damage while still make it seem like they're good. ssristories.com has some interesting stories.

jmdrake
12-18-2012, 04:27 PM

Considering that Harris and Klebold were teenagers.......

Also apparently the suicide effects last into the 20s.

ZOLOFT®
(sertraline hydrochloride)
Tablets and Oral Concentrate

Suicidality and Antidepressant Drugs Antidepressants increased the risk compared to placebo of suicidal thinking and behavior (suicidality) in children, adolescents, and young adults in short-term studies of major depressive disorder (MDD) and other psychiatric disorders. Anyone considering the use of Zoloft or any other antidepressant in a child, adolescent, or young adult must balance this risk with the clinical need. Short-term studies did not show an increase in the risk of suicidality with antidepressants compared to placebo in adults beyond age 24; there was a reduction in risk with antidepressants compared to placebo in adults aged 65 and older.

jmdrake
12-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Hmmmm....Michael Moore forced to decide between whether he hates the gun lobby more or the big pharma.

acptulsa
12-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Hmmmm....Michael Moore forced to decide between whether he hates the gun lobby more or the big pharma.

Not yet. But if we press this issue hard enough, and in the right places, we could happily put him in that unhappy position!

tangent4ronpaul
12-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Moore is right about this. It's too bad the YouTube is from 2009. Is the psych drug angle getting any mileage in the media? I'm not seeing it.

Prozac is some scary stuff! I rented a room from a older woman a few years ago and she started acting weird. Waiting in the dark for me to come home then turning on the lights like she'd just come up at the exact moment I turned the key weird, following me in her car when I left weird, going through my room, finding a gun and freaking out that I was going to hill her and she needed to protect herself weird. Turns out that she'd just been put on Prozac, but I did have to call the cops a few times and moved shortly after that.

Roomie here, F, 25, got put on it and after the addition of only a little bit of fire water reverted into a toddler and sat on the hallway floor goooing in delight and clapping at the commotion caused by tossing books, a computer keyboard, etc. down the stairs... We got her taken off that shit post haste! Scary drug!

The drugging of school children that is part of NCLB is the real problem here, especially when kids get put on it according to a vague checklist "is the child distracted or fidgety in class, etc." and they get put on this crap by teachers that have absolutely no training in psychology or pharmacology - just a checklist mandated by the federal gvmt with a "loose school funding" stick, if they don't comply. That's the discussion we need to be pushing.

-t

kathy88
12-18-2012, 04:58 PM
No you fat fuck. It's the guns, duh.

heavenlyboy34
12-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Every once in a while Moore is right about something...kinda like how a broken watch is right twice a day. ;)

acptulsa
12-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Every once in a while Moore is right about something...kinda like how a broken watch is right twice a day. ;)

He's right about quite a lot. His research is generally first rate. His politics may be hopelessly misguided, but his facts are something else entirely.

Just because he's wrong for not having already done to Obama what he did to Dubya doesn't mean that we shouldn't be grateful for what he taught us about the Bushes.

When he editorializes in this vid, he's not wearing his Liberal Democrat hat. He's wearing his Anti-Corporatist hat. So he's too busy exposing stuff to stop and think about how the Liberal Democrats are advancing corporatism. I guess that's forgivable. Just wish he'd shut up with the editorials altogether and stick to what he's good at.

Todd
12-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Good grief....I actually kinda agree with Michael Moore.

tttppp
12-18-2012, 05:15 PM

And I havr physically taken them. Trust me they are bad news. They are designed to kill you liver and kidneys. I have had reactions so bad that one pill put me in the hospital. Imagine what that could do to someone with guns and no self control.

heavenlyboy34
12-18-2012, 05:17 PM
He's right about quite a lot. His research is generally first rate. His politics may be hopelessly misguided, but his facts are something else entirely.

Just because he's wrong for not having already done to Obama what he did to Dubya doesn't mean that we shouldn't be grateful for what he taught us about the Bushes.

When he editorializes in this vid, he's not wearing his Liberal Democrat hat. He's wearing his Anti-Corporatist hat. So he's too busy exposing stuff to stop and think about how the Liberal Democrats are advancing corporatism. I guess that's forgivable. Just wish he'd shut up with the editorials altogether and stick to what he's good at.
Yeah, his documentaries and such are much better than some of the other stuff he gets involved with. "Roger and Me" is pretty good too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPNmHPjkxdk

tangent4ronpaul
12-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Drugging kids and school violence
http://www.ritalindeath.com/Education/school-violence.htm

Believe it or not, there are now over 5 million school kids in America on psychotropic drugs, most of which are prescribed and administered by the schools themselves. That's the report we get from Kelly O'Meara, writing in Insight magazine on June 28. In addition, according to Teacher Magazine of December 1996, there are four million kids on Ritalin alone, one of the most powerful of the drugs now being given routinely to children in American schools.

What is most disturbing, however, is the growing awareness that the increased violence among school children may have more to do with the drugs than with the guns they use to carry out their violence. Yet, neither the president nor the Congress have addressed this aspect of the problem. Instead of going after the manufacturers of guns, why don't they go after the manufacturers of the drugs that are more than likely causing violent behavior among children?

We know, for example, that Eric Harris, 18, who, with his friend Dylan Klebold, murdered his fellow students at Columbine, had been taking Luvox, one of the new antidepressant drugs approved in 1997 by the Food and Drug Administration for treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder, or OCD, among children under 18.

We also know that T. J. Solomon, 15, who shot and wounded six classmates at Heritage High School in Conyers, Ga., on May 20 was on Ritalin for depression. Shawn Cooper, 15, who fired two shotgun rounds, narrowly missing students and teachers at his high school in Notus, Idaho, was also on Ritalin, for bipolar disorder.

Kip Kinkel, 15, was on Ritalin and Prozac. He murdered his parents and then went on to school where he fired on students in the cafeteria, killing two and wounding 22. Also, we know that Mitchell Johnson, the 13-year-old student at Westside Middle School in Jonesboro, Ark., who mowed down several children and a teacher with his friend Andrew Golden, 11, was on some sort of medication since he was being treated by a psychiatrist.

It is not easy getting medical information about these killers, finding out what drugs they've been taking. In fact, it is virtually impossible to find out what long-range effects Ritalin has had on the millions of children who were taking it over a period of years. Ritalin has been with us since 1955, when the FDA first approved it. It is now used most commonly to treat a disorder known as ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) or ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder).

What are the symptoms of this disorder that has afflicted millions of American children? According to a Time cover story in July 1994, "ADHD has three main hallmarks: extreme distractibility, and almost reckless impulsiveness and, in some but not all cases, knee-jiggling, toe-tapping hyperactivity that makes sitting still all but impossible." Ritalin is supposed to alleviate the symptoms. It does not cure the disorder.

Indeed, according to Business Week (June 6, 1994), ADHD is "an often-hereditary biochemical condition." And the Ladies Home Journal of September 1993 reported that ADHD is "a neuro-chemical disorder in the areas of the brain that regulate attention" as well as "a lifelong, genetically based affliction."

Drs. Edward M. Hallowell and John J. Ratey, authors of "Driven to Distraction," write, "ADD lives in the biology of the brain and the central nervous system. The exact mechanism underlying ADD remains unknown." In other words, we are dealing with a neurological enigma wrapped in a biological mystery. But is it possible that there is a much simpler explanation for ADD, one that would put a lot of doctors and drug manufacturers out of business? Indeed, is it not possible that the school atmosphere itself is causing the extreme distractibility and impulsive behavior that are the major symptoms of ADD?

Believe it or not, there was no such thing as ADD or ADHD when I was going to school back in the 1930s and '40s. In fact, you couldn't possibly have Attention Deficit Disorder in the kind of classrooms I was in. First of all, all of the desks and seats were bolted to the floor. You couldn't move them. Also, the walls were generally bare. Maybe a picture of George Washington, or a map. Otherwise there was nothing on the walls to distract anyone. The room was as clean and orderly as a pin.

The room was also silent. You were not permitted to talk to your fellow classmates during class. The teacher was the focus of attention. She sat at her desk in front of the class and exercised a benign, no-nonsense discipline on all of us. She taught us all the same thing, from the blackboard or a textbook, and she used rational methods of teaching, methods that had been proven over the centuries to produce academic results. Our teachers were not interested in our feelings or our sexuality or trying to change our values. Their concern was purely academic, and we all knew that.

Thus, there was no ADD. Any impulsive behavior would have landed you in the principal's office. But now, let's fast forward to 1999 and enter a typical first-grade classroom in today's public school. The kids are no longer seated in rows in desks bolted to the floor. They are now seated around tables, interacting with each other, pestering each other, chatting, interrupting. Each child is doing something different. One may be writing, another reading, another drawing. One child may be under a table reading a book; another may be sprawled on the floor drawing a large picture. Several children may be working on a project.

The walls are now covered with every conceivable kind of distraction: dinosaurs, Mickey Mouse, bulletin boards, pictures of animals, travel posters, you name it. Then there are fish tanks, gerbils, and rabbits to grab one's attention. Mobiles hang from the ceiling, swaying in the breeze. Anything and everything that could possibly distract a child is there.

The teacher, of course, is no longer the focus of attention. She is now a facilitator who wanders around the room, helping one child here, chatting with another there. She is also using the most irrational teaching methods ever devised by so-called educators: whole language, invented spelling, the new new math, plus sensitivity training, values clarification, transcendental meditation, cooperative learning, death ed., sex ed., suicide ed. She's very much interested in your feelings, your sexuality, your family, your thoughts about death, suicide, abortion, feminism, homophobia, the environment, global warming, and world citizenship. She is also practicing psychiatry without a license.

Is it any wonder that so many children suffer the equivalent of a cognitive breakdown in American schools? The entire school configuration is designed to cause distraction, inattention, frustration, impulsiveness, hatred, anger, and violence. And the only way that many children can be forced to endure that atmosphere is by drugging them.

-t

One thing the article doesn't discuss is the trend to teach to the level of the slowest student. Rewards for performance and competition are seen as bad, so everyone gets a star for participating. Gifted and talented programs are being phased out and increasingly special needs students are being placed in normal classrooms as their socialization is felt more important than the education of the rest of the class. Consequently, you have students graduating HS who can't do basic math, like addition, and community colleges are increasingly shifting focus to teaching kids what they should have learned in HS.

Is it any wonder that most students are bored out of their minds?