PDA

View Full Version : Confederate flag ban approved by school board in Texas

stu2002
12-18-2012, 01:20 PM
A Central Texas school board is banning the Confederate battle flag from district property and district-sponsored events.

Hays board members voted 5-2 Monday to amend the student code of conduct to ban the flag, which was formerly displayed with the Hays High School Rebel mascot.

http://localtvwghp.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/untitled-9.jpg?w=402

The ban also covers any imagery deemed to be racially hostile, offensive or intolerant.

http://myfox8.com/2012/12/18/confederate-flag-ban-approved-by-school-board-in-texas/

Kotin
12-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Sheep motherfuckers

stu2002
12-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Sheep motherfuckers

I take it y'all don't have this law like we do in Florida..

The State of Florida makes it a second-degree misdemeanor for anyone to mutilate, deface, burn or trample upon the U.S. flag, the Florida state flag or the flags of the Confederacy. The law also forbids the use of such flags for advertising or publicity purposes and punishes such infractions with a fine of up to $500 and a jail term of up to 60 days . [Fla. Stat. ch. 256.05 through 256.10] And public mutilation of a flag is punishable as a first-degree misdemeanor if done with intent to insult the flag. [Fla. Stat. ch. 876.52]

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/state-flag-protection-laws

Matt Collins
12-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Sounds like an easy 1st amendment lawsuit to me.

Matt Collins
12-18-2012, 02:42 PM
The State of Florida makes it a second-degree misdemeanor for anyone to mutilate, deface, burn or trample upon the U.S. flag, the Florida state flag or the flags of the Confederacy. The law also forbids the use of such flags for advertising or publicity purposes and punishes such infractions with a fine of up to $500 and a jail term of up to 60 days . [Fla. Stat. ch. 256.05 through 256.10] And public mutilation of a flag is punishable as a first-degree misdemeanor if done with intent to insult the flag. [Fla. Stat. ch. 876.52]
That is just as bad, and for the same reasons :mad:

Confederate
12-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Sounds like an easy 1st amendment lawsuit to me.

I'm suing.

Confederate
12-18-2012, 02:43 PM
That is just as bad, and for the same reasons :mad:

I agree, fuck the US and Florida flags.

nobody's_hero
12-18-2012, 03:11 PM
I remember my high school days, they tried a ban like this. A few black kids had been wearing Malcom X T shirts. A few white kids had been wearing those Dixie Outfitters brand clothes. Racial tensions were actually low. We had more fights between whites vs whites and blacks vs blacks than we did between whites vs blacks (unless maybe we all hated each other so bad we didn't even bother fighting). As for clothing, no one ever complained among the students (it was most likely a parent that raised concerns).

So when the ban went into effect, we all protested. White students wore Malcom X t-shirts and black students wore Dixie outfitters.

It was mind-blowing. The move to support the ban was supposedly to keep racism out of the school, so what do you do when someone of a certain skin color wears a 'taboo' symbol?

What's funny is then you expose who is really the racist:

"Oh Mr. Administrator, why shouldn't whitey be able to wear Malcom X? Why won't you let the black kids wear the stars and bars?"

Administrator: "Well, those people aren't supposed to wear those symbols." ('doh!, got'cha)

Nothing ever came of it though.