PDA

View Full Version : Newtown "is going to be for schools what 9/11 was for airports."

Lucille
12-18-2012, 11:58 AM
A '9/11 For Schools?' Let's Hope Not
A decade of frantic overreaction and wasteful, destructive policies based on the false promise of perfect safety
http://reason.com/blog/2012/12/18/gene-healy-on-a-911-for-schools

"It's going to change the way we look at things," a security consultant told Fox's Megyn Kelly on the day of the Newtown elementary school massacre. America's schools will need armed guards, "perimeter security, CCTV, preventative issues with the school psychiatrist [and] police department ... " Newtown, he summed up, "is going to be for schools what 9/11 was for airports."

Let's hope not. If the reaction to the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School is anything like the reaction to Sept. 11, we're in for a decade or more of frantic overreaction and wasteful, destructive policies based on the false promise of perfect safety.
[...]
Students' risk of suffering from panic-fueled policy choices is considerably greater. As Gardner notes, after the Columbine massacre, "zero tolerance" policies proliferated and "the term 'lockdown' moved from prison jargon to standard English as it became common to conduct drills in which students imagined armed maniacs in the halls. Money shifted from books and maintenance to metal detectors, cameras, and guards."

There may be worse to come. On Sunday, Matt Drudge—always quick to highlight the latest Transportation Security Administration atrocity—charged that the "Obama administration let school security funds lapse." Apparently, we need more federal funding to armor up our schools, despite the vanishingly small risk. This sort of political point-scoring is an excellent way to transform public education into a 12-year shuffle through a giant TSA security line. But the resulting environment is no way to raise independent, free-thinking citizens.

http://static.safehaven.com/authors/berwick/23073_e.png

Anti Federalist
12-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Well, as far as that goes, schools already are prisons for all intents and purposes, so I'm not sure how much worse they can get.

ETA - Never mind, yes, I can imagine...

Parents, get your kids out of the prison matrix.

tttppp
12-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Can someone tell me the need for a public school in the first place? I live in Newtown and I can tell you there is no need for a public school safety net here. The people here can pay for school on their own. Yet they make numerous attempts to pass school budgets that the people dont want to approve.

Anti Federalist
12-18-2012, 03:27 PM
And of course it will be just like 9/11.

The military/surveillance complex utterly failed (I really don't think that, I think they knew exactly what was going to happen and LIHOP'ed, but for the sake of argument) so what is the first thing we do?

Hand over even more more money and liberty to the MIC/surveillance complex.

In Newton, the school-prison/cop/surveillance complex utterly failed, and what is the first reaction?

Hand over even more money, power and liberty to the school-prison/cop/surveillance complex.

What could go wrong?

Indy Vidual
12-18-2012, 03:33 PM
RIP to the victims.

...I live in Newtown...

We ALL live in Newtown now.
Welcome to the Brave New Town!

tttppp
12-18-2012, 03:34 PM
And of course it will be just like 9/11.

The military/surveillance complex utterly failed (I really don't think that, I think they knew exactly what was going to happen and LIHOP'ed, but for the sake of argument) so what is the first thing we do?

Hand over even more more money and liberty to the MIC/surveillance complex.

In Newton, the school-prison/cop/surveillance complex utterly failed, and what is the first reaction?

Hand over even more money, power and liberty to the school-prison/cop/surveillance complex.

What could go wrong?

Its amazing how so many people can identify the problem but so many of those people want the exact wrong solution.

tttppp
12-18-2012, 03:38 PM
RIP to the victims.

We ALL live in Newtown now.
Welcome to the Brave New Town!

The point I was making about me living here is that the town is reasonably wealthy with no slums. There just isnt a need here for a government school safety net....yet they continue to force us into paying more money into it. I guarantee you next budget vote they will try to raise taxes again and use this as an excuse.

nobody's_hero
12-18-2012, 03:42 PM
So the solution to school violence is basically better camera angles.