PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Support for stricter gun control at 10 year high

Brett85
12-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Bad news.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57559669/poll-support-for-stricter-gun-control-at-10-year-high/

pochy1776
12-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Americans LOVE IMPULSE. Thank god i am a libertarian.

Anti Federalist
12-17-2012, 06:28 PM
God damn it, I'm on a slow ass connection, people, please, post at least the relevant passage or info and not just a link that takes, for me, a half hour to load.

At any rate, well, it's a good thing we live in a republic and not a democra...oh, wait.

Brett85
12-17-2012, 06:30 PM
God damn it, I'm on a slow ass connection, people, please, post at least the relevant passage or info and not just a link that takes, for me, a half hour to load.

At any rate, well, it's a good thing we live in a republic and not a democra...oh, wait.

The poll shows that 57% of Americans support stricter gun control laws, up from 39% earlier this year.

Brett85
12-17-2012, 06:31 PM
I hope that this is just a temporary bounce do to the emotion of the tragedy in Connecticut and not a lasting trend.

July
12-17-2012, 07:03 PM
I hope that this is just a temporary bounce do to the emotion of the tragedy in Connecticut and not a lasting trend.

The poll was conducted immediately, on Friday and over the weekend, so I'm sure emotions were at their peak. That seem rather disingenuous to do a poll like that the day of the tragedy. Imagine the kind of polls there would have been the day of 9/11 about foreign policy, etc.

RonPaulFanInGA
12-17-2012, 07:04 PM

Of course it is.

The media is pushing this agenda now.

presence
12-17-2012, 07:07 PM

http://www.textise.net/ ??

This is the op converted:

http://www.textise.net/showText.aspx?strURL=http%3A//www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57559669/poll-support-for-stricter-gun-control-at-10-year-high/

Visit the webpage above to view the op or, in the future, instead of:

"http://www."

just use:

"http://www.textise.net/showText.aspx?strURL=http%3A//www."

and ANY web page will appear as text. Click the above link, and press ctrl+D to bookmark, then you can cut and paste any website (right click "copy link location") onto it.

This page has been Textised!
The original page address was http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57559669/poll-support-for-stricter-gun-control-at-10-year-high/
The TinyURL version is http://tinyurl.com/bn3dvqo

Here are some options:
- Back to reality (in this window (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57559669/poll-support-for-stricter-gun-control-at-10-year-high/) | in a new window) (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57559669/poll-support-for-stricter-gun-control-at-10-year-high/)
- Print this page
- Textise Home Page (http://www.textise.net/)
- Textise Options Page (http://www.textise.net/textiseOptions.aspx?strURL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.cbsnew s.com%2f8301-250_162-57559669%2fpoll-support-for-stricter-gun-control-at-10-year-high%2f)
- Tweet this Textised page (http://twitter.com/home?status=Textised+page+(Textised!+:+Poll:+Suppo rt+for+stricter+gun+control+at+10-year+high+-+CBS+News)+http://tinyurl.com/bn3dvqo+%23textise+via+@textise)

CBSNews.com
/
CBS Evening News
/
CBS This Morning
/
48 Hours
/
60 Minutes
/
Sunday Morning
/
Face the Nation

Video
US
World
Politics
Entertainment
Health
MoneyWatch
SciTech
Sports
Crime
More

Blogs
Political Eye
The Feed

Webshows
60 Overtime
Face to Face
The Startup
What's Cooking

Resources
Mobile
Radio
Local

Join CBSNews.com
Sign in with

Manage my newsletter subscriptions
Update my e-mail address
Change my password
Log Out

CBS News/ December 17, 2012, 6:30 PM
Poll: Support for stricter gun control at 10-year high [Image: ]
CBS

By Sarah Dutton, Jennifer De Pinto, Anthony Salvanto, Fred Backus and Stephanie Condon

Following the devastating mass shooting in Newtown, Conn., support for stricter gun control laws is now the highest it's been in a decade and has surged 18 points since the spring of this year, according to a new CBS News poll.

Fifty-seven percent of Americans now say gun control laws should be made more strict, according to the poll, conducted Dec. 14 - 16.

CBS

The poll followed the news of the Dec. 14 shooting, in which a gunman killed 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School. The public's renewed interest in stricter gun laws is evident on the White House website, where more than 150,000 people have signed a petition asking for immediate action on the issue. The horrific event has prompted some pro-gun Democrats to call for stricter gun laws, though the Republican party has remained largely silent on the issue. President Obama has said that in the coming weeks he will use whatever power is at his disposal in efforts to prevent anymore such tragedies.

In January 2011, following the shooting of then-Rep. Gabrielle Giffords in Arizona, a CBS News poll found that 47 percent of Americans backed stricter gun laws. That figure dropped off, however, in polling conducted about a year after the incident. In April of this year, just 39 percent of Americans supported stricter gun laws.

Pro-gun Dems talk gun control; GOP largely silent
Complete coverage: Elementary School Rampage

While more than half want tighter gun laws, three in 10 think laws covering guns should be kept as they are. Only nine percent think gun laws should be less strict.

CBS

Still, fewer than half of Americans (42 percent) think stricter gun laws would have helped prevent the violence at Sandy Hook Elementary. Thirty-six percent felt that way after the shooting of Giffords, but after the incident at Virginia Tech in 2007, more than half of Americans said tighter gun laws would have done a lot or a little to prevent that shooting.

Views on gun control and its possible impact on the Newtown shooting differ by political party. Most Democrats support stricter gun control laws and think they would have done at least something to prevent the violence at Sandy Hook. By comparison, fewer Republicans favor stricter gun control measures, and most think tighter laws would have done nothing to prevent what happened in Newtown.

There are also regional differences on the issue of gun control. Support for tougher measures is highest in the Northeast (at 66 percent) and West (at 68 percent). Those in the Midwest and South are less likely to back stricter gun control laws.

In the days following the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary, just over a third of Americans said that they feel schools in their community are extremely or very safe. Just 22 percent said that about U.S. schools overall.

Opinions on the safety of schools in one's own community have changed little over the years. Parents' views on gun control laws and school safety are similar to those of Americans overall.

News of the school shooting in Connecticut has captured the attention of the American public. More than nine in 10 have heard or read at least something about it, including 69 percent who have heard a lot about the shooting.

For full poll results, see next page.

This poll was conducted by telephone from December 14-16, 2012 among 620 adults nationwide.

Phone numbers were dialed from samples of both standard land-line and cell phones. The error due to sampling for results based on the entire sample could be plus or minus four percentage points. The error for subgroups may be higher. This poll release conforms to the Standards of Disclosure of the National Council on Public Polls.

no previous page
next

1 / 2

for an even better solution:

sudo apt-get install lynx (http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/install-and-use-lynx-on-ubuntu/)

http://cloud.addictivetips.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/lynx4.jpg

sorry for the graphic?

tangent4ronpaul
12-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Of course it is.

Can they keep it alive for 3 weeks? I doubt it.

-t

paulbot24
12-17-2012, 07:10 PM
We can argue all day about how assault rifles are irrelevant here since there were no assault weapons involved in this tragedy. That fact will not prevent them from attempting to pass a "common sense" law like banning assault rifles. This could very well find bi-partisan support, meant to appease everybody. Arguements like "You don't need an assault rifle to protect yourself or hunt" will come to the forefront. Combine this with the UN small arms treaty, which will remove the remainder of the guns, the handguns, and they have succeeded in their efforts. I hope I am wrong and none of this happens. A coffin requires several small nails to seal......one small nail after another and you are done.

bolil
12-17-2012, 07:10 PM
"the time has come, the fascist said, to take the guns and take the lead, and then the rights they all hold dear, like the right to cry or cheer." Dr. Pat

tangent4ronpaul
12-17-2012, 07:24 PM
We can argue all day about how assault rifles are irrelevant here since there were no assault weapons involved in this tragedy. That fact will not prevent them from attempting to pass a "common sense" law like banning assault rifles. This could very well find bi-partisan support, meant to appease everybody. Arguements like "You don't need an assault rifle to protect yourself or hunt" will come to the forefront. Combine this with the UN small arms treaty, which will remove the remainder of the guns, the handguns, and they have succeeded in their efforts. I hope I am wrong and none of this happens. A coffin requires several small nails to seal......one small nail after another and you are done.

Please keep your terminology right.

A "Assault Rifle" is a military term for a machine gun that can fire semi-auto via a selector switch.

A "Assault Weapon" is a fictional term invented by the gun control lobby and Congress to mean a scary looking gun to liberals that is SEMI - NOT FULL - automatic!, the banned specifications having nothing to do with their lethality, but purely by a "cosmetic" viewpoint. Being based on a military design is also a reason for a firearm to be banned.

-t

Lucille
12-17-2012, 07:26 PM
The poll was conducted immediately, on Friday and over the weekend, so I'm sure emotions were at their peak. That seem rather disingenuous to do a poll like that the day of the tragedy. Imagine the kind of polls there would have been the day of 9/11 about foreign policy, etc.

ZH (http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-12-17/newtown-shooting-syndrome-troubled-society) has another:

In a concerning shift of sentiment, a majority of Americans, based on a new WaPo-ABC poll, now see the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary as a sign of broader problems in society (as opposed to an 'isolated' incident). While there remains widespread - and intense - opposition to banning the sale of handgunds in general (though high-capacity ammo clip restrictions are just as broadly despised), from the 2007 Virgina Tech shootings to this year's Aurora theater massacre, the poll results below suggest societal problems are becoming ever more critical in our nation's thinking.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/polls/postabcpoll_20121216.html

28. On another subject: Do you favor or oppose stricter gun control laws in this country? 54% favor, 43% oppose

madengr
12-17-2012, 07:32 PM
Don't forget there was already an AWB, and previous to the an import ban. It can happen again easily. I remember going to buy an HK-91 just prior to the ban and had it bought out under me. Won't let that happen again. Just hope you guys have stocked up. The black rifle section of the gun store was very busy this morning; wasn't much left other than .22 versions and overpriced varmint rifles. Stocks of AKs were depleted over the weekend.

Anti Federalist
12-17-2012, 07:40 PM

I would think so.

NoOneButPaul
12-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Doesn't mean anything... 10 years ago support was weak, it's weak now, it's done for.

We won the gun control argument and nothing short of UN intervention is going to stop it. There's massive support for guns in the USA today and gun and ammo sales over the last 5 years have proven that. They aren't taking our guns, and if they try they'll be revolution.

Colorado and then this... of course support for gun control is high. But I think there's a massive part of the population not into guns that understands gun control doesn't work. There's way too much support... way too much.

paulbot24
12-17-2012, 07:42 PM
Please keep your terminology right.

A "Assault Rifle" is a military term for a machine gun that can fire semi-auto via a selector switch.

A "Assault Weapon" is a fictional term invented by the gun control lobby and Congress to mean a scary looking gun to liberals that is SEMI - NOT FULL - automatic!, the banned specifications having nothing to do with their lethality, but purely by a "cosmetic" viewpoint. Being based on a military design is also a reason for a firearm to be banned.

-t

I'm actually aware of the difference between semi and fully automatic rifles, having served in the USMC a number of years ago. I have noticed your point of the media presenting rifles being based on a military design as a reason to be banned. Many times I have noticed this in MSM news reports. While penning an article on "assault weapons", they often show a picture of a standard issue USMC M-16, mislabeled as a "currently legal assault weapon" while describing a variety of legal assault rifles, but most certainly not an M-16. If you look hard you'll see the following footnote in a very small font, "Gun model in discussion may vary from the above picture." I prefer to think of this as lazy reporting, which is bad enough, but now I know it is intentionally done to mislead. Thank you for catching that.

tangent4ronpaul
12-17-2012, 07:50 PM
OK - lets go with the handgun scenario. Saying 100 rounds were fired, both of these have high capacity magazines, and exaggerating a bit, lets say 20 rounds each. It's within a few - just to make the math easy. So that's what 5 magazines for 100 shots? 2 you already have loaded. If you practice it should take you a second to drop a mag and shove another one in there. So 3 seconds to have 100 rounds.

So with a rifle and a 30 round mag, one loaded, and 2 reloads. WOW! You saved a second! TOTALLY more lethal!

So with prospected nany state regs - no more than 5 rounds in a mag, that's 19 mag changes, or about 19 secons... Out of a 10 minute plus shooting rampage. Yeah, that really would have helped... NOT!

-t

Keith and stuff
12-17-2012, 07:56 PM
Americans LOVE IMPULSE. Thank god i am a libertarian.

Just last year, it was at a 50 year low. I think this will pass. As you mentioned, impulse. The statist media is going crazy right now.

bolil
12-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Provided no other mass killings occur, this MAY pass. Then again one terror attack was enough to sell the population on more than a decade of war... just sayin.

pochy1776
12-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Just last year, it was at a 50 year low. I think this will pass. As you mentioned, impulse. The statist media is going crazy right now.

Are aspies like me treated better in NH?

Keith and stuff
12-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Are aspies like me treated better in NH?

I only know 1 person with aspergers in NH. He is a complete dick, almost all of the time. I treat him well, because I'm nice to pretty much everyone in person, but some people treat him poorly. That is all of my experience with such people in NH. So, I don't know.

pochy1776
12-17-2012, 08:41 PM
I only know 1 person with aspergers in NH. He is a complete dick, almost all of the time. I treat him well, because I've nice to pretty much everyone in person, but some people treat him poorly. That is all of my experience with such people in NH. So, I don't know.

I better stay near a major healthcare center.

pochy1776
12-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Slate claims that after Australia BANNED GUNS ALL OF IT, that there has been no more violence since. Nobody seems to think that economic prosperity (Australia number 5 in fraser study of economic freedom)

My opinion is starting to change, but i don't think banning anything would help. America is a unique country, and the media has done a disservice by simplifying it into No guns or more guns. It should be a debate. Americans are some of the most impulsive people in the world, and tends to pass shitty laws that have consequence.

Patriot Act
Homeland Security
Iran Sanctions
War with Iraq all came after 9/11

Brady bill came after reagan shooting

if amending the second amendment and/or passing really strict gun laws maybe even an outright ban- it just goes to show how americans are the most idiotic and impulsive legislators in the world

matt0611
12-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Of course it is. There's a temporary bump from the non-stop media coverage being pumped into all the little sheeple's brains.

Conduct the same poll a year from now and you'll see a drastic difference. Most Americans have an extremely short memory.

NewRightLibertarian
12-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Of course it is.

But as society rots and the economy collapses, they will eventually be bombarded with so much of this that they'll accept national gun control policy. If only the kids dying from American hellfire were given this kind of run, the wars would become unpopular immediately.

Brett85
12-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Conduct the same poll a year from now and you'll see a drastic difference. Most Americans have an extremely short memory.

Unless these kind of shootings keep happening.

NewRightLibertarian
12-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Unless these kind of shootings keep happening.

And they will. Just imagine what will happen when the tens of millions can't get their anti-depressants, for instance.

heavenlyboy34
12-17-2012, 09:25 PM
But as society rots and the economy collapses, they will eventually be bombarded with so much of this that they'll accept national gun control policy. If only the kids dying from American hellfire were given this kind of run, the wars would become unpopular immediately.
And these are the very people we're trying to convince that liberty is superior to statism. Just one reason I'm cynical that the political means will work in our favor in any long term, meaningful way.

PaulConventionWV
12-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Of course it is. There's a temporary bump from the non-stop media coverage being pumped into all the little sheeple's brains.

It'll bounce up, then back down, but not as low as before. It's slowly increasing because we're being sensitized (not desensitized) to the issue.

Valli6
12-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Yeah, but at the same time the increase in gun purchases is setting records too.

Gun sales spike in Maine, across nation
...Gun retailers in Maine have seen sales jump since Friday's deadly shootings in an elementary school in Connecticut.
They said the reaction has been similar to spikes in sales after other mass shootings, such as the one in a cinema in Aurora, Colo., in July."...

...In the three days after the shootings in Colorado, background checks for people seeking to buy guns surged more than 40 percent nationally, to 2,887 requests, compared with 2,012 in the same period a week earlier, according to Bloomberg, which cited the Colorado Bureau of Investigation.

A similar increase followed the shootings at a shopping plaza in Tucson, Ariz., in 2011...

...The number of background checks increased to 16.8 million from January through the end of November this year, a record number since the FBI began publishing the data in 1998. There were 16.4 million checks nationally for all of 2011, according to the FBI.

In Maine, there were 79,418 requests for background checks in the first 11 months of this year, an increase from 73,127 last year, according to the FBI.

Gun retailers said that even before Friday's attack, sales were brisk because of the holidays, on top of a spike in sales after the re-election of President Obama, which fueled concerns that the administration may pursue gun-control policies in his second term.

The school shootings in Newtown, Conn., prompted a new wave of sales over the weekend.

"After every incident of mass violence, gun sales increase... "People don't just jump out and buy a gun. They're already thinking about it. Incidents like this just serve as reminders. Statements from politicians make them feel it's time to take action."
http://www.pressherald.com/news/gun-sales-spike-in-maine-across-nation_2012-12-18.html

Douglas County sees gun permits on the rise
Dec 17, 2012 OMAHA, Neb. — The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office said it’s seeing an increased number of people getting gun certification. Chief Deputy Marty Bilek said this year could be a record year for Douglas County. It handed out 91 gun permits on Monday. Bilek said Monday's certification was three times the daily average...The office approved nearly 700 permits last month.

The FBI said it conducts background checks for gun buyers. It ran more than 70,000 background checks in Nebraska this year and more than 128,000 in Iowa.

Gun Safety Academy instructor Patrick Smith said gun safety classes are already full, and calls have spiked since Friday.
“I'm surprised it quit ringing. This is the first time it hasn't been ringing all day,” Smith said.
http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news/Douglas-County-sees-gun-permits-on-the-rise/-/9674510/17808900/-/w7ii2i/-/index.html

Gun sales brisk before possible restrictions
Dec 17, 2012 …."We set a record for this store," said Greg Burge. the owner of Beech Grove firearms as he straightened the inventory after a record number of buyers jammed the store this weekend. Many of those customers were buying*in reaction to*members of Congress calling for a renewal of the assault weapons ban...

…..Before Beech Grove Firearms opened for business Saturday, ten people were waiting outside for the doors to open. The rush to buy is not just in Indiana. At other gun shops all over the country, it is the same story. In Oregon, new gun buyers waited up to four hours for background checks...
http://www.wthr.com/story/20359102/gun-sales-brisk-before-possible-restrictions

CBI Deals With Massive Influx Of Potential Gun Buyers
December 17, 2012 DENVER (CBS4) – The day after the shooting in Connecticut a lot of people in Colorado tried to buy a gun.
The Colorado Bureau of Investigation says it received 4,154 requests for background checks from potential buyers on Saturday. That was so many the CBI couldn’t process them all and the backlog grew to nearly 18 hours. The Unit could only process 3,001 checks on Saturday....
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/12/17/cbi-deals-with-massive-influx-of-potential-gun-buyers/

NoOneButPaul
12-18-2012, 06:49 PM
^Like I said... this argument is OVAH! They aren't coming for our guns like everyone thinks...

The UN? That's another story...

The US Gov't? Yeah right... the Pro-Gun people have won this argument 10X over... the gun control people are the exception, not the rule.

I live in Chicago, one of the most extreme anti-gun cities in the country, and sentiment here, at least in my everyday experience (i'm a legal clerk, I see and meet plenty of people every day) is that gun control doesn't work- even among the people who have never shot one and have no desire to. They look at the South Side of the city and they get the argument...

We have won this argument, and if we persist we'll keep winning, the people are on our side and the sales over the last 5 years prove it.