PDA

View Full Version : Merely Being Arrested Can Ruin Your Life

Anti Federalist
12-17-2012, 02:40 PM
I was going to post the article that he is refering to, the other day.

It is worth the read.

Merely Being Arrested Can Ruin Your Life

Posted by William Grigg on December 17, 2012 11:41 AM

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/128751.html

“You never have a `right’ to resist arrest,” insists Des Moines-based attorney Harley Erbe (who is wrong, of course). There are two reasons why Mundanes must immediately submit to “commands” issued by the state’s costumed enforcers, Erbe explains:

“First, officers’ safety is a [sic] paramount consideration. People always think that their arrests are unfair or unlawful; if citizens then had a right to duke it out with law enforcement every time they held that belief then a lot of officers and citizens would be hurt.”

The word “paramount” means “supreme.” Thus Erbe is saying that whenever an armed state functionary decides to abduct you at gunpoint, his safety is always the foremost consideration.

Second, Erbe continues, “the streets are not the time or place for a debate on the legality of an arrest or whether the arrestee has committed a crime. Those are matters to be determined in courtrooms by judges and juries.”

This is a variant of the advice that used to be offered to rape victims: It’s safer to submit than to fight back, because resisting will only make matters worse. It also ignores the fact that merely being arrested is sufficient to ruin an innocent person’s life – or at least to steal a considerable portion of it. This is underscored by the case of Pittsburgh resident Sara Reedy, who was both the victim of a sexual assault and an unlawful arrest.

Eight years ago, Reedy – at the time a 19-year-old expectant mother -- was robbed and sexually assaulted at gunpoint while working at a convenience store. When the police interviewed her in the hospital, they refused to believe her account, insisting that she had invented the story in order to cover for the theft of about $600 from the till. Rather than pursuing Reedy’s assailant, the Pittsburgh police detective – who belonged to an agency known to harbor rapists in its ranks -- arrested her and charged her with robbery and "false reporting." Although Reedy wasn't prosecuted, she lost her job – and, eventually, her marriage.

Some months later, the criminal who assaulted Reedy was arrested after he forced himself on another victim. The perpetrator eventually confessed to a number of earlier assaults, including the one against Reedy. She spent seven years and a great deal of money seeking redress through the courts, eventually winning a large civil settlement that fell short of adequately compensating her for what she had experienced.

A recent investigation by the Gainesville Sun found that local police agencies make hundreds of entirely unnecessary arrests every year. The victims are arrested without charge, but the arrest is instantly noted in databases that are used for background checks for employment and housing. Even if the victim’s criminal record is expunged, the digital trail cannot be erased.

Many of those arrests are summary punishment for “contempt of cop.” Others are made for cynical reasons related to career advancement within the state’s punitive priesthood.

Officer Jeff McAdams of the Gainesville Police Department, who is president of the Gator Lodge of the Fraternal Order of Police, told the Sun that GPD Chief Tony Jones expects his officers to “take control of their zones” – which means making exemplary arrests intended to send a message, rather than led to criminal prosecutions. He also explained that needless arrests of this kind are “encouraged” by supervisors and that building a statistically impressive arrest record is a key to receiving “officer of the month” awards and similar honors.

As defense attorney Craig DeThomasis told the Sun, “We currently live in a world where an arrest destroys somebody’s life.” That’s a small price to pay, apparently, to ensure the safety and enhance the career prospects of the incomparably precious people who compose the state’s enforcement caste.

Anti Federalist
12-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Here's the article:

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20121216/ARTICLES/121219734/1002/news?p=4&tc=pg

satchelmcqueen
12-17-2012, 04:37 PM
fuckers

Acala
12-17-2012, 04:41 PM
I might agree to this IF the cops were automatically prosecuted for kidnapping like anyone else if the charges were dropped or the defendant were acquitted.

jmdrake
12-17-2012, 04:41 PM
One thing that needs to change in the country is the background check laws. If you get arrested for something, it's on your record until you've been cleared. That's right, you apply for a job and you show up as a charged felon even though you haven't been convicted of anything! Some locals have such records available for the general public at large. Others make you jump through a few hoops (basically you have to pay them for the dirt) but that's what happens. Even if you get acquitted, it still shows on your record until you take the extra step to have your record expunged. Guilty until proven innocent...and then you still have to go through hoops to clean up your record.

paulbot24
12-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Another thing that must be changed is the application process when they ask you if you have ever been arrested or charged with a crime besides a traffic violation. I just saw this question last week when applying for a job. Arrested does not mean guilty! Charged does not mean guilty either! Speaking of those pay online databases, the actual court databases are almost as nefarious. I had to petition a court several times to get removed from their easily first/last name searchable criminal database. I had charges appearing under my name that had been quickly dropped by the county. It was a farce and they were wise to discover their error. How did I find out I was on this database? An ex-girlfriend from several years ago, who does skip tracing, decided to look me up and see if she could find me. She not only easily found me, but she found the bogus dropped charges filed against me as well as "case history." What case? So, as I'm filling out this application, I'm thinking to myself, if they use one of the other databases that charges money, will I be on there still? Why should I still have to find myself worried about this? This must be stopped.

UWDude
12-17-2012, 06:13 PM
The entire bail system is a sham as well. You have to pay $500 whether you are guilty or not... ...or spend 6 months in jail waiting for trial.

kcchiefs6465
06-27-2013, 12:37 PM
//

AFPVet
06-27-2013, 12:44 PM
I might agree to this IF the cops were automatically prosecuted for kidnapping like anyone else if the charges were dropped or the defendant were acquitted.

Well, only if the cop knew that the arrest was false. If the cop had probable cause for the arrest, he/she is good to go... what matters in the court system after that is no longer his/her problem. As aforementioned, if the cop falsely arrested someone and made up PC, planted evidence... then it's a different story. Further, cops should not be immune from civil/criminal liability—ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Nobexliberty
06-27-2013, 12:51 PM
Unless you have been proven guilty in a fair trial by your peers then they should not keep records of you, it is bad.

Red Green
06-27-2013, 01:17 PM
This is a variant of the advice that used to be offered to rape victims: It’s safer to submit than to fight back, because resisting will only make matters worse.

I think people should take the advice they give to rape victims: just piss yourself, maybe vomit if you can. It will make you less attractive to those boys in blue.

asurfaholic
06-27-2013, 01:24 PM
I've been arrested on 2 counts of indecent exposure, after a neighbor videotaped me through a window getting ready for my shower. Case was dropped like a rock because the accuser pretty much destroyed all her credibility before i even took the stand. One of my big regrets was not resisting the arrest.

You live and learn.

Never again will I submit to a arrest.

youngbuck
06-27-2013, 01:25 PM

I have been saying this for years. If I were to handcuff and abduct somebody off of the sidewalk, it is a clear case of kidnapping. But cops can do it all day long and they're "just doing their jobs."

Edit: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Acala again.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-27-2013, 01:48 PM
I've been arrested on 2 counts of indecent exposure, after a neighbor videotaped me through a window getting ready for my shower. Case was dropped like a rock because the accuser pretty much destroyed all her credibility before i even took the stand. One of my big regrets was not resisting the arrest.

You live and learn.

Never again will I submit to a arrest.

That's crazy. No charges for the peeper?

Red Green
06-27-2013, 02:04 PM

Not to mention royalties from the video....

kcchiefs6465
06-27-2013, 03:39 PM
Unless you have been proven guilty in a fair trial by your peers then they should not keep records of you, it is bad.
You have to pay money (about $250) to have the charges removed from your record. It is a racket.

A drunken argument (I wasn't the drunk one, had maybe two beers) and f***** neighbors got me a domestic violence. (they called the police on me pretty routinely for all sorts of petty things) All in all bullshit. I despise the police and didn't want them inside my apartment. I pretty much refused to speak to them, in a polite way though. My girlfriend told the police that nothing happened and it was just a stupid argument because she was drinking. She wrote down on a statement and told them that she didn't feel threatened or anything. The cops acknowledged to me that they knew the charges were unwarranted. Yet I still get charged with a DV. How they explained it was that if they show up, "someone's gotta go." Bonded myself out an hour later and got a ride home. Costed me a cool thousand bucks. Looking back I should have just sat there for a couple weeks and saved the money but I had places to be and things to do. Not to mention my shitty job to save.

A few court dates later the charges were dropped. A few hundred bucks for a lawyer later as well. I should have represented myself. It never made it past pretrial anyways.

Sure enough, I can look up my record online and it's still there. I'm sure it has cost me a couple of jobs.

asurfaholic
06-27-2013, 03:41 PM

Nope. Only because I didn't pursue it. It's ammo for later.

Red Green
06-27-2013, 03:51 PM
Nope. Only because I didn't pursue it. It's ammo for later.

How on earth did they charge you with IE? It's my understanding that it is almost impossible to be charged for indecent exposure when you're in your own home. I think I read of one case where a guy liked to do housework in the nude and had the drapes open and someone tried to have him charged with IE, but the judge threw it out because he was in his own home and someone would have to look into the window to see the dude nude.

asurfaholic
06-27-2013, 06:59 PM
How on earth did they charge you with IE? It's my understanding that it is almost impossible to be charged for indecent exposure when you're in your own home. I think I read of one case where a guy liked to do housework in the nude and had the drapes open and someone tried to have him charged with IE, but the judge threw it out because he was in his own home and someone would have to look into the window to see the dude nude.

This is essentially true, but my case has the special touch of a psychotic ex-friend of my wife, who had just had a brutal falling out. We were warned by other neighbors and longtime local know to not be sucked into a friendship with her, by we are just too nice and found ourselves going over to their house for dinner often. They lived right across the street. Anyways, she parked her car right in a spot on the front road where she could line up a perfect line of sight through a guest bedroom thru the hall, and into he master bedroom.

She filmed the sliver of a second of me walking back and forth this tiny line of sight, me completely oblivious to the fact, just doing my thing.

As i got into the shower, I heard a banging at the front door. Put a towel around myself and went up front, it was neighbor, holding a video camera. Says in total excitement and glee that she has me on film walking around my house naked, and she was gonna show my wife (at work at the time). I said, go ahead... I can walk around naked if i want, I slammed the door, called my wife told her everything that just happened.

Wife came home as a policeman showed up responding to the neighbors call, asked what was happening, I told him the history with the neighbor, then what had happened so far that night. He pretty much confirmed what I said was true, he got a call about a naked man in his house. Already told the neighbor if she doesn't like what she sees while she is looking in someone's house, she needs to look a different direction. He said goodnight, we exchanged numbers.

Fast forward 3 days.

I am at work, boss called says i should come to office, so I loaded th tools up and left the job site. Got there he said a policeman just showed up ready to arrest me. Boss was concerned about reputations, convinced the officer i would go turn myself in, just don't to embarrass us on a high value project.

So I went/ thinking i could just clear up a misunderstanding.

Nope/ there were 2 warrants, issues at the same time, one for the night of the issue - indecent exposure, at my house on the front porch swinging my dick around in front of my neighbor and her young children.

The other was a couple days prior, no incident had occurred, but suddenly I was depicated as a sicko on the front porch again, this time pulling my pants down and "fully exposing" myself to her and her damn children Again.

So I went to slammer for the day while i arranged a lawyer and got friends who know the system to start dialing numbers.

The whole story started to come apart the week after i was arrested a DSS agent responded to a report of child abuse at my house. On the report it listed the 2 dates on my charges, but listed dramatically different stories than what was listed supporting the charges. We exchanged numbers with this very nice DSS agent who told us more than she probably was allowed to. She was going to be in contact with the local know

Guess the local know and the judge all connected at some point, the case went to court with the judge basically ordering neighbor to move out of her home.

Its all ammo for later/

Anti Federalist
06-27-2013, 07:13 PM
I am at work, boss called says i should come to office, so I loaded th tools up and left the job site. Got there he said a policeman just showed up ready to arrest me. Boss was concerned about reputations, convinced the officer i would go turn myself in, just don't to embarrass us on a high value project.

Guilty in the eyes of government, guilty in the eyes of employers or clients, guilty in the eyes of friends and family.

"The cops wouldn't be there if something wasn't wrong".

The joys of living in a police state.

acptulsa
06-28-2013, 02:42 PM
Guilt even after being proven innocent in a court of law.

What do we have courts for, again?

What do we have a Constitution for, again?