PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Mary Ruwart: Save the Children

sailingaway
12-16-2012, 09:14 PM
My heart goes out to the families mourning the death of their loved ones in the wake of the Friday shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. Twenty children and six adults were killed. This tragedy is amplified by the possibility that it needn’t have happened in the first place.

Study after study has shown that criminals avoid places where their victims might be armed.[i] Schools are a prime target for “rampage shootings,” because they rarely permit firearms. When states change their laws to allow responsible adults to easily carry a concealed weapon, the number of people killed in such shootings drops by 90%![ii] Since the ban on guns within 1000 feet of schools took place in 1996, school shootings have increased—and so have the number of innocent children slaughtered. Criminals don’t obey the law, so they aren’t deterred by “gun free zone” signs; indeed, they are encouraged.

When I talk with people who want more gun control and claim that they themselves would never own a firearm, I sometimes ask if they would be willing to put a sign in their front yard saying “This home is a gun-free zone.” Generally, I get silence and a stunned look; occasionally, I get an outright refusal. No one wants to put such a sign in front of their home; they know intuitively that such a sign marks them as an easy target for thieves, rapists, or murderers.

As long as we refuse to let our teachers and other responsible adults carry concealed weapons in our schools, as long as we advertise their defenselessness by posting “gun free zone” signs, we are painting a bull’s eye on the backs of our beloved children. We send our troops overseas to “protect American interests,” but demand that the future of America—her youth—be undefended. When we transport money, we do so in an armored vehicle with gun-toting guards to deter would be thieves. Aren’t our children more precious than our money? Shouldn’t we protect their lives even more zealously than we guard our property?

more: http://www.ruwart.com/blog/save-the-children.html

bolil
12-16-2012, 09:18 PM
It is good to have what I feel said.

Dr.3D
12-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Would be fun to see an armored car with a bumper sticker that says, "Gun free zone."

J_White
12-16-2012, 10:05 PM
bump for reasoning !

Lucille
12-17-2012, 08:55 AM
When I talk with people who want more gun control and claim that they themselves would never own a firearm, I sometimes ask if they would be willing to put a sign in their front yard saying “This home is a gun-free zone.” Generally, I get silence and a stunned look; occasionally, I get an outright refusal. No one wants to put such a sign in front of their home; they know intuitively that such a sign marks them as an easy target for thieves, rapists, or murderers.

I'm going to use that one.

kathy88
12-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Putting a gun-free zone sign in your yard is a pure win argument. Great read.

farreri
12-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Stop! There's too much common sense in her blog post!!!

farreri
12-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Putting a gun-free zone sign in your yard is a pure win argument. Great read.
That was golden, wasn't it?!

tangent4ronpaul
12-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Would be fun to see an armored car with a bumper sticker that says, "Gun free zone."

You know that's an interesting thought... a really interesting thought...

placing a bumper sticker, on a vehicle doesn't exactly constitute vandalism, unless you go insane with the adhesive, as it can be peeled off...

imagine...

What if this armored car was a

GUN FREE ZONE

just like Sandy Hook was

Imagine you walking behind such a armored car, just as it was leaving a collection/drop off point...

-t

cjm
12-17-2012, 03:32 PM
bump for "gun-free zone" yard signs.

Lucille
12-17-2012, 03:39 PM
http://scrosnoe.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/gunfreezone.jpg

http://scrosnoe.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/gun-free-zone-porter-davis.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-cFA-BqXMRqA/UBKBT-3W5KI/AAAAAAAACqk/uAk6A35OzRM/s1600/Gun+Free+Zones2_GGDF.jpg

tangent4ronpaul
12-17-2012, 03:51 PM
http://scrosnoe.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/gunfreezone.jpg

If even 0.1% of the schools in this country had that put on their door one night, it would change the conversation. There are somewhat more than 120,000 schools in the United states. That's a lot of stickers and a ton of coordination...!!!!

Or really good communication and no coordination...

-t

jbauer
12-17-2012, 03:54 PM
If even 0.1% of the schools in this country had that put on their door one night, it would change the conversation. There are somewhat more than 120,000 schools in the United states. That's a lot of stickers and a ton of coordination...!!!!

-t

mmmm I like it. Anyone know where to obtain said signs? I think I'll use a 8 ft T post put in about 4 feet so it takes 'em a bit to get it out.

sailingaway
12-17-2012, 03:54 PM

-t

that's a great pic. I hope it was posted in the best picture thread. I really liked that point by Ruwart, as well.

I think I'm going to use it to create a front page entry, since news is slow today.

tangent4ronpaul
12-17-2012, 04:00 PM
mmmm I like it. Anyone know where to obtain said signs? I think I'll use a 8 ft T post put in about 4 feet so it takes 'em a bit to get it out.

Just use AVERY 8 1/2 x 11 full page adhesive printer paper and stick one on each door to the school. The parents will get the message. If you want to add signs - put them in the drop off area for students in the morning.

though the lower right corner needs to be photoshopped, unless you live in that state.

-t