PDA

View Full Version : Guns - good as gold?

Sergeant Brother
11-21-2007, 07:51 AM
I discussing guns with a family member the other day when it struck me how many older guns are in circulation these days. I personally own several guns that are 60+ years old and still have a good market value. I was wondering if buying guns is a good investment that might substitute for precious metals? Sure, there are some differences and I don't think you could replace currency with guns, but for an individual citizen worried about the unsoundness of cash money (as well as somebody worries about self-defense or violations of the 2nd Amendment). Is storing your money in the form of guns is a valid idea?

Dequeant
11-21-2007, 08:11 AM
I've said it before and i'll say it again. When the dollar drops, ammo becomes currency.

To me it's a better investment than gold. They may hold less of the retail value than gold does, but you can't kill for food with gold, you can't defend your family with gold, and you can't fight tyranny with gold....

To me, that more than makes up for the minor depreciation in retail value. Just don't forget the ammunition.

noxagol
11-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Guns and ammo would be a better and more practical investment if you are worried about a total collapse of society and anarchy is brought upon us, for reasons the previous poster points out. However, lacking a total collapse but instead a severe or moderate one where order still persists, gold would be a better bet. If the collapse hits critical or total levels, guns and ammo would probably be the order of the day.

fsk
11-21-2007, 11:18 AM
It is theoretically possible for the US government to collapse without the result being total chaos.

For example, you probably could directly hire the local police for protection, if you had access to some hard currency and you had the ability to work.

seapilot
11-21-2007, 11:24 AM
As long as they are kept in good condition are not a rare model, it is a good investment. Best models to own IMO are the ones with the most common ammo which for rifles are 30.06, .223 (very common in the military), .22 and .38 or .357 pistols. If you buy new stainless with plastic stock is best, but I like old fashioned wood and blue barrel but needs more upkeep.

Anti Federalist
11-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Lead is becoming a precious metal.

Primbs
11-21-2007, 12:24 PM
Some parts of Class III weapons are worth more than gold.

I would have both.

SWATH
11-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Some parts of Class III weapons are worth more than gold.

I would have both.

Yes an RDIAS is a 1/2 ounce piece of steel that costs over $15,000!

(RDIAS: registered drop in auto sear)