PDA

View Full Version : Received from Congress John Larson

Schifference
12-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Dear Friends,

Yesterday our hearts were broken as we witnessed one of the worst tragedies in the history of Connecticut. The children and teachers whose lives were taken are in our thoughts and prayers and their families deserve space and privacy. They, along with the staff, first responders, and the community of Newtown deserve our continued support and prayers through this most difficult time. As a parent, the unspeakable fear has happened. May God help all those families get through.

President Obama is right. Friday was a day of mourning, but the time to act is now upon us. To do nothing in the face of continuous assaults on our children is to be complicit in those assaults. There may not be a single cure-all for the violence in our nation, however we must start the process and begin the deeper and longer conversations that need to take place. Politics be damned. Of the 12 deadliest shootings in our nation’s history, half of them have happened in the last five years. And there is not a single person in America who doesn’t fear it will happen again. It’s time we recognize the danger and address it.

It’s time for Members of Congress to act! Congress should be prepared to vote on requiring background checks for all gun sales, closing the terrorist watch list loopholes, and banning assault weapons and high capacity clips. Those measures don’t solve all our problems, but they’re a start. We also need to focus on our mental health care system. We need to support a better process for families and friends to share their concerns and fears with authorities about people’s mental status, and begin to invest in the human infrastructure needed for effective prevention programs that create healthy children. The pattern is clear- action must be taken. To do nothing in the face of pending disaster is to be complicit. It’s time to act. It’s time to vote.

Sincerely,

Kotin
12-15-2012, 05:38 PM
as if it were written for him by Stalin or Hitler himself...

I really have heard way too many weird and contradictory stories not only regarding this school shooting but that Colorado theatre shooting as well... these are false flags in my opinion and there will be many more to shore up support for real gun control.. not just an assault weapons ban..

and as for the comments on "mental health" that is just par for the course.. we all saw that coming and know its implications and what it really means and leads to. Enemy of the State= mentally ill criminal .. question government for taking control of healthcare? mentally ill.

TheTexan
12-15-2012, 05:43 PM
closing the terrorist watch list loopholes

Terrorist watch list... = most/all of us on RPF

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
12-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Yesterday our hearts were broken as we witnessed one of the worst tragedies in the history of Connecticut. The children and teachers whose lives were taken are in our thoughts and prayers and their families deserve space and privacy. They, along with the staff, first responders, and the community of Newtown deserve our continued support and prayers through this most difficult time. As a parent, the unspeakable fear has happened. May God help all those families get through.

President Obama is right. Friday was a day of mourning, but the time to act is now upon us. To do nothing in the face of continuous assaults on our children is to be complicit in those assaults. There may not be a single cure-all for the violence in our nation, however we must start the process and begin the deeper and longer conversations that need to take place. Politics be damned. Of the 12 deadliest shootings in our nation’s history, half of them have happened in the last five years. And there is not a single person in America who doesn’t fear it will happen again. It’s time we recognize the danger and address it.

It’s time for Members of Congress to act! Congress should be prepared to vote on requiring background checks for all gun sales, closing the terrorist watch list loopholes, and banning assault weapons and high capacity clips. Those measures don’t solve all our problems, but they’re a start. We also need to focus on our mental health care system. We need to support a better process for families and friends to share their concerns and fears with authorities about people’s mental status, and begin to invest in the human infrastructure needed for effective prevention programs that create healthy children. The pattern is clear- action must be taken. To do nothing in the face of pending disaster is to be complicit. It’s time to act. It’s time to vote.

Sincerely,

Go fuck yourself. The problem was that there was no one to return fire.

I also have to wonder how shit went down that 6 women were killed and no men. Do only women teach at this school? Was it only women willing to confront? wtf?

TheTexan
12-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Go fuck yourself. The problem was that there was no one to return fire.

I also have to wonder how shit went down that 6 women were killed and no men. Do only women teach at this school? Was it only women willing to confront? wtf?

He could have just been pissed at women in general. Doesn't really explain why he'd kill kids though.

Or maybe men just run faster. Shrug.

alucard13mmfmj
12-15-2012, 05:53 PM
If the government ban all guns and take guns out of law abiding citizens... how can they stop guns from coming through the border and into criminal hands? The government cant even stop drugs or illegal immigrants. Pretty soon, there will be a huge underground market for guns. There will be a "gun war" that will rival "drug war".

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
12-15-2012, 05:55 PM
He could have just been pissed at women in general. Doesn't really explain why he'd kill kids though.

Well, like I said... it's something I wonder about. Your hypotheses might be better than anything that came to mind for me so far. It just doesn't sound random, even though I know women are quite overrepresented in teaching.

alucard13mmfmj
12-15-2012, 05:59 PM

Or maybe men recognize what gunfire sounds like and can hide or run sooner and women might not know what gunfire sounds like and might poke their bodies out the door to see what is going on only to get hit by gun fire.

Confederate
12-15-2012, 06:14 PM
high capacity clips

http://www.knewance.com/storage/post-images/clip_magazine.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=12792 44330073

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Clip_370310_1464120.jpg

Stellwagen
12-15-2012, 06:17 PM
If the government ban all guns and take guns out of law abiding citizens... how can they stop guns from coming through the border and into criminal hands? The government cant even stop drugs or illegal immigrants. Pretty soon, there will be a huge underground market for guns. There will be a "gun war" that will rival "drug war".

Exactly how I feel as well. We'd create a black market selling the tools people use to kill other people. Sounds totally dangerous.

And I feel like this whole debate assumes guns are a limited resource that we just have to work hard to get rid of them. Gunsmithing is not a lost trade in America, and it's not that hard to make a gun. I bet I could figure out how to make one in a few months if I had the tools/resources, especially with these new 3D printers.

James Madison
12-15-2012, 06:22 PM
It’s time for Members of Congress to act! Congress should be prepared to vote on requiring background checks for all gun sales, closing the terrorist watch list loopholes, and banning assault weapons and high capacity clips.

*Does not apply to police or military

I'll take my chances against someone with a high capacity mag. In this type of situation, a shotgun or grenade would be far more lethal.