PDA

View Full Version : Texas school where teachers carry guns prepared to protect students

sailingaway
12-15-2012, 09:18 AM
Texas school where teachers carry guns prepared to protect students

Texas Gov. Rick Perry urged school districts to review their plans to ensure they are prepared to respond to incidents such as the horrific shooting at a Connecticut elementary school Friday.

David Thweatt, superintendent of the tiny Harrold school district in northwest Texas, believes his staff is ready.

Besides special locks and security cameras, an undisclosed number of staff members and teachers carry concealed handguns.

Thweatt said the "guardian plan," which drew international attention when it was implemented in 2008, definitely enhances student safety.

"Is that 100 percent? No," Thweatt said Friday in a telephone interview. "Nothing is 100 percent. But what we do know is that we've done all we can to protect our children."

At the time the plan was put in place, Harrold, about 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth, was the only known public school district in Texas and the U.S. that allowed staff members and teachers to carry concealed weapons. Thweat said he knows of some other districts that have since adopted similar policies, but declined to name them.

Harrold school officials do not announce which teachers are "packing" and those participating must have proper concealed carry licenses. They must also be approved by the school board to carry on school grounds.

Board members approved the measure because the district is at least 20 minutes from the nearest station of the Wilbarger County Sheriff's Department.

The district has one school, with about 110 students and 15 teachers, according to the Texas Education Agency.

"We have one entry to the school," Thweatt said, adding that special locks can be activated from his office. "We also have the cameras, but we didn't have anything to deal with an active shooter."

The guardian plan was researched for more than a year before the school board considered it. Some board members didn't like it.

"My board at first didn't want to be the poster child for this," he said.

But Thweatt said he wanted to minimize casualties that could quickly increase while waiting for deputies. He didn't want a plan where you "lock yourself in your closet and hope that an intruder won't hurt you. So what we came up with was a policy that would protect."

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/12/14/4486104/texas-school-where-teachers-carry.html?storylink=addthis#.UMyTRVPSjFY.twitter# storylink=cpy

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/12/14/4486104/texas-school-where-teachers-carry.html?storylink=addthis#.UMyTRVPSjFY.twitter# storylink=cpy

Dr.3D
12-15-2012, 09:38 AM
I just hope we don't see one of those school employees do something bad with their pistol. It would just be more ammo for the gun control crowd.

acptulsa
12-15-2012, 09:41 AM
The district has one school, with about 110 students and 15 teachers, according to the Texas Education Agency.

"We have one entry to the school," Thweatt said, adding that special locks can be activated from his office...

More than 125 people and one door? People, just because the media reports one more than the other does not mean psychopaths have become more common than fire. It's like locking yourself in a room full of rattlesnakes because you're convinced that will eliminate any chance of a meteor landing on your head.

Dr.3D
12-15-2012, 09:44 AM
More than 125 people and one door? People, just because the media reports one more than the other does not mean psychopaths have become more common than fire. It's like locking yourself in a room full of rattlesnakes because you're convinced that will eliminate any chance of a meteor landing on your head.
Maybe their are a lot of exits like in a movie theater.

itshappening
12-15-2012, 09:49 AM
lets just give up all our freedoms to the government please /s

BAllen
12-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Good to hear there's at least one school with a common sense approach to crime prevention. A shooter will not pick this place.

Kodaddy
12-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Get children out of schools...that would solve a lot of problems...

kcchiefs6465
12-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Get children out of schools...that would solve a lot of problems...
And cause a lot more..

presence
12-15-2012, 12:56 PM
The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil influence.
They deserve a place of honour with all that's good.
When firearms go, all goes.
We need them every hour.

George Washington

!!

presence
12-15-2012, 01:01 PM
More than 125 people and one door?

One "entry"; there are obviously multiple exits to meet fire egress code.

Odin
12-15-2012, 01:04 PM
And cause a lot more..

If I had to pay for school for my children I would want to make sure that the school I'm sending them to had the highest measures of security. Otherwise I would keep them at home.

I think he just means that children would be more safe without our precious "public education".

matt0611
12-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Sounds like a good idea. I'd want my kids teachers to have guns.

SpreadOfLiberty
12-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Tasers and pepperblasters would probably be better to give to all teachers. Additional teachers who are trained could have small arms.

The problem with closing off the exits and keeping the keys in the principals office is it could be deadly if an evacuation was needed. I would recommend the keys are kept on the inside by the exits, in boxes similar to those fire extinguishers are in.

There should be school cops at all schools, not just high schools. And their office should be near the front of the building.

cbrons
12-15-2012, 01:20 PM
I apologize if this plug is inappropriate guys, but if you are at all interested in hearing Matt Bracken, the author of the Enemies Foreign & Domestic series, also a former Navy Seal who has done a lot of writing on leftist gun-grabbing and situations they might use to carry it out, he was interviewed last night on a special broadcast at LMR, and will be rebroadcast tonight on my show at 6pm eastern/5pm central. The information on how to listen is in my signature.

12-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Rick Perry is right on this. Teachers 100% should be allowed to concealed carry in schools.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
12-16-2012, 10:40 AM
There should be school cops at all schools, not just high schools.

No thanks.

Natural Citizen
12-18-2012, 08:38 AM
There should be school cops at all schools, not just high schools. And their office should be near the front of the building.

This is exactly how it is at my son's High School. Cruiser is also parked right in front of the designated office. Works...

tod evans
12-18-2012, 08:45 AM
There should be school cops at all schools,

I can't ever get behind the idea of more government anything, especially cops...

How about trained private security to augment armed school employees?

nobody's_hero
12-18-2012, 08:51 AM
The counter point of gun-grabbers is that teachers 'won't have the willpower to shoot a student.'

What do you all think?

presence
12-18-2012, 09:04 AM

Are fleets and armies necessary to a work of love and reconciliation? Have we shown ourselves so unwilling to be reconciled that force must be called in to win back our love? Let us not deceive ourselves, sir. These are the implements of war and subjugation; the last arguments to which kings resort.

Patrick Henry

I want armed citizens not officer safety.

ARM THE TEACHERS NOW!

tod evans
12-18-2012, 09:05 AM
The counter point of gun-grabbers is that teachers 'won't have the willpower to shoot a student.'

What do you all think?

The teachers of the 60's & 70's would kick your ass long before your attitude got out of hand enough to even think about doing stupid shit..

Have todays teachers failed to grow back-bones?

presence
12-18-2012, 09:05 AM

What do you all think?

How many innocent kids do you think a lawfully armed citizen will watch get shot before they conclude the rampage?

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil influence.
They deserve a place of honour with all that's good.
When firearms go, all goes.
We need them every hour.

George Washington