PDA

View Full Version : Precious Metals dealer shot dead by police.

noneedtoaggress
12-14-2012, 10:55 PM
http://www.reporternews.com/news/2012/dec/13/businessman-shot-to-death-after-allegedly-a-gun/

The co-owner of an Abilene business was shot and killed by police serving a search warrant Thursday morning after he allegedly threatened one of the officers with a semi-automatic pistol.

Marcus Cass, 49, of Rockdale, was pronounced dead at the scene by Justice of the Peace Mike McAuliffe.

Abilene Police officers went to Abilene Gold Exchange, 1321 S. Danville Drive, about 9:25 a.m. to serve a warrant in connection with alleged failure by the business to report precious metal transactions, required by Texas law.

While serving the warrant, Cass, whom police said was armed with a pistol, confronted the officers.

“He was displaying it (the weapon) in a threatening manner and was told to drop the weapon numerous times,” said APD Assistant Chief of Uniform Services Doug Wrenn. “The subject continued to raise the weapon and pointed it at one of the officers, which forced the officer to respond with deadly force.”

Cass’ body was sent to Tarrant County for an autopsy. Police didn’t name the officers involved or say how many times Cass was shot.

Wrenn said no arrests have been made in connection with the precious metal case.

A joint investigation of the shooting is being conducted between the APD and the Texas Rangers.

The warrant was signed by 350th District Court Judge Thomas Wheeler on Wednesday afternoon, according to a copy obtained by the Reporter-News.

The document gave police permission to search for records in connection with precious metal sales.

According to the warrant, a detective called Abilene Gold Exchange on Tuesday to see if suspects in a police investigation had been to the business and sold jewelry. The warrant said a man, who identified himself as Charles Camp, co-owner of the business, answered the phone.

Police say Camp told the detective “how it was not right that he had to document every transaction in his business and he believed citizens should just lock their jewelry up better so that it would not be stolen ... ”

Investigators then reportedly found a history of alleged violations involving the business including not reporting several precious metal transactions. They then requested the warrant.

“We’re thankful no one else got hurt (in the shooting),” Wrenn said. “We’re still saddened at the fact we had to use deadly force: It’s never a good day for us.”

Last week, the Abilene City Council, in a 4-3 vote, passed a metal ordinance — to go into effect Jan. 1 — aimed to help Abilene police solve stolen metal thefts. Cass, who attended the Dec. 6 meeting at City Hall, vocally opposed the new ordinance.

“I don’t like it,” Cass told the Reporter-News during a recess at the City Council meeting. “It’s going to affect our bottom line and it’s way beyond what the state requires.”

State law requires precious metal dealers to retain precious metal purchases for 11 days unless the dealer obtains the name, address and description of the seller and keeps a record of that information.

Under the new city ordinance, there will be a seven-day retention period before a precious metal dealer could smelt, sell, or dispose of a purchase.

Cass continued, “State says you don’t have to hold (the purchase) at all if you fill out the paperwork.”

Thursday’s incident was the second law enforcement-involved shooting this week. On Tuesday, Taylor County Sheriff’s deputies shot and killed Tony Allen Riddle, 40, near View after he threatened to shoot himself and then made “threatening comments and gestures with his gun,” according to a statement from the sheriff’s office.

The last deadly shooting involving Abilene police officers was in August when two officers shot Miguel Martinez, 49, of Abilene, who pointed a loaded handgun at the officers. After an investigation and counseling, the officers were cleared and returned to duty.

“We are very proactive in working with the officers who are involved in incidents such as this, whether through counseling or setting up a liaison,” Wrenn said. “They will be evaluated for their fit for duty. They will not return to work until we are confident that they are mentally ready to continue to serve the community.”

Reporter-News staff writers John Mangalonzo, Tiffany Walden and Christopher Collins contributed to this report.

Anti Federalist
12-14-2012, 11:18 PM
“He was displaying it (the weapon) in a threatening manner and was told to drop the weapon numerous times,” said APD Assistant Chief of Uniform Services Doug Wrenn. “The subject continued to raise the weapon and pointed it at one of the officers, which forced the officer to respond with deadly force.”

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

cindy25
12-15-2012, 12:56 AM
why does Texas even have such a law?

oyarde
12-15-2012, 01:11 AM
Theft , people selling what does not belong to them , I imagine, probably business tax collection as well ?

GunnyFreedom
12-15-2012, 01:12 AM
why does Texas even have such a law?

It seems to me this isn't about bullion but pawned jewelry. Someone probably introduced it in an effort to help track down jewelry thieves that pawn their take. I would be surprised if all 50 states didn't have similar laws. Not exactly the way I would approach it, of course, but the underlying concern is still valid. If a pawn shop was basically a money launderer for stolen jewelry, then everybody loses but the thief.

A more free market approach would probably be to make the pawn shop eat the loss if it turns out the rocks are hot, that way they would self-police and would not end up as a launderer for stolen jewelry. Still, there are a host of problems with THAT idea also, like significant losses could be experienced by pawn shops acting in good faith.

So I don't really know what the best answer is off the top of my head. I know that the current situation is NOT the best answer, and I know that the problem they were trying to address is actually a real problem. That's about as far as I will go with what I'm going to call sure knowledge.

Anti Federalist
12-15-2012, 01:18 AM
It seems to me this isn't about bullion but pawned jewelry. Someone probably introduced it in an effort to help track down jewelry thieves that pawn their take. I would be surprised if all 50 states didn't have similar laws. Not exactly the way I would approach it, of course, but the underlying concern is still valid. If a pawn shop was basically a money launderer for stolen jewelry, then everybody loses but the thief.

A more free market approach would probably be to make the pawn shop eat the loss if it turns out the rocks are hot, that way they would self-police and would not end up as a launderer for stolen jewelry. Still, there are a host of problems with THAT idea also, like significant losses could be experienced by pawn shops acting in good faith.

So I don't really know what the best answer is off the top of my head. I know that the current situation is NOT the best answer, and I know that the problem they were trying to address is actually a real problem. That's about as far as I will go with what I'm going to call sure knowledge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLo7tHDHgOc

AGRP
12-15-2012, 01:37 AM
Surveillance video please.

jkr
12-15-2012, 01:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hyqYk-Llgs

paulbot24
12-15-2012, 03:08 AM
The real precious metal is going to be the gun here really soon.

thoughtomator
12-15-2012, 03:19 AM
Pawn shops already have to jump through some serious documentation hoops for the very reason that they are prime venues for fencing/laundering.

Schifference
12-15-2012, 05:18 AM
Once when I owned a business I was notified that I was going to be audited by the State's Sales Tax department. People dressed in professional attire that were clueless regarding tax law for the type of business I had spent a couple of weeks there and said that I owed almost 100k. I had to spend thousands for my acct attrny to take care of the matter. Point is that there is an alternative to sending in men in blue with guns.

youngbuck
12-15-2012, 07:52 AM
Give us ur moneys or we're gonna shoot ya!