PDA

View Full Version : Netflix users: Animal Farm (1999)

GunnyFreedom
12-14-2012, 08:54 PM
I didn't even know they had remade this. I remember watching Animal Farm in school in the late 80's. I must say it's a very well done version. I was duly impressed:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Animal_Farm/261087?trkid=7001329

Although Animal Farm was written as an indictment of Soviet Communism, it now has as much similarity with America as it had with the Soviet Union when it was written.

The book is absolutely a must-read, but if books are not your thing, or you don't have the time, then this movie is very well done.

People who have not seen or read Animal Farm since the 70's, 80's, or 90's may be frankly disturbed but how uncanny it has become. Good. They need to be disturbed!

Deborah K
12-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Required reading in the 8th grade in my time.

GunnyFreedom
12-14-2012, 09:02 PM

I don't know if it was technically 'required reading' when I was a freshman in High School, but my teacher certainly required it.

Keith and stuff
12-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Yeah I liked it. I'm pretty sure that movie isn't as close to anti-statism as the book, though.

GunnyFreedom
12-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Yeah I liked it. I'm pretty sure that movie isn't as close to anti-statism as the book, though.

No movie is ever as deep as the book. However, that being said I was impressed.

Cleaner44
12-14-2012, 09:06 PM
I didn't even know they had remade this. I remember watching Animal Farm in school in the late 80's. I must say it's a very well done version. I was duly impressed:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Animal_Farm/261087?trkid=7001329

Although Animal Farm was written as an indictment of Soviet Communism, it now has as much similarity with America as it had with the Soviet Union when it was written.

The book is absolutely a must-read, but if books are not your thing, or you don't have the time, then this movie is very well done.

People who have not seen or read Animal Farm since the 70's, 80's, or 90's may be frankly disturbed but how uncanny it has become. Good. They need to be disturbed!

Oddly I was in high school in 1984 when I was required to read 1984. I bought and read Animal Farm later and still own it for my children.

GunnyFreedom
12-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Oddly I was in high school in 1984 when I was required to read 1984. I bought and read Animal Farm later and still own it for my children.

I think Animal Farm is easier to grasp for most people. "All animals are equal. Some animals are more equal than others." Most everybody knows what that means, and it becomes the central theme.

unknown
12-15-2012, 02:45 AM
Awesome. I need more Netflix recommendations.

I watched the Ayn Rand documentary. I was pleasantly surprised.

paulbot24
12-15-2012, 03:28 AM

That sounds too intelligent. You were home schooled weren't you?:D