PDA

View Full Version : A WIN in the WoDs - Obama caves on fed pot enforcement!

tangent4ronpaul
12-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Obama: marijuana use not a top priority for federal prosecutors

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/dec/14/obama-marijuana-not-top-priority

President Barack Obama has said that users of marijuana in states that have legalised its recreational use will not be a "top priority" of federal prosecutors.

In an interview with Barbara Walters of ABC News, Obama said law enforcement agencies had "bigger fish to fry" than to go after users in Washington and Colorado, where voters approved the legalisation of marijuana on election day.

Use of the drug remains prohibited under federal laws, and in his interview, Obama said he has asked the attorney general, Eric Holder, to examine how state and federal laws can be reconciled.

"It would not make sense for us to see a top priority as going after recreational users in states that have determined that it's legal," Obama said.

Last week, Washington became the first state to allow recreational use of marijuana, after voters sanctioned the move in the November ballot. Colorado will follow suit next month, when laws formally decriminalising the possession of marijuana take effect. Both states are examining how to regulate the legal sale of marijuana.

At a federal level, the Controlled Substances Act lists cannabis in the same category as heroin, LSD and ecstasy. Obama acknowledged that the discrepancy between the federal stance and that of Washington and Colorado will need to be addressed. "This is a tough problem because Congress has not yet changed the law," he told Walters in excerpts of the interview posted on the ABC website.

He added: "I head up the executive branch, we're supposed to be carrying out laws. And so what we are going to need to have is a conversation about, how do you reconcile a federal law that still says marijuana is a federal offence and state laws that say that it is legal?"

During the interview, Obama also touched upon his own views on recreational drug use.

In his 1995 memoir Dreams from My Father, Obama spoke of his past use of both marijuana and cocaine. At high school he was part of a group known as the Choom Gang, so-named for their fondness of pot smoking.

"There are a bunch of things I did that I regret when was a kid," he told Walters.

He added that he did not support a wholescale change in the law "at this point" and that he was not an advocate of marijuana use. "My attitude is, substance abuse generally is not good for our kids, not good for our society," Obama said, adding: "I want to discourage drug use."

-t

fisharmor
12-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Yeah, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he say in 2008 that prosecuting medical marijuana users wasn't going to be a priority, and then it magically was?

belian78
12-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Anyone care to make a wager on how soon we see reports of Federal raids on pot cafes and the like in WA and CO? What kind of odds would you give me?

TheGrinch
12-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Yeah, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he say in 2008 that prosecuting medical marijuana users wasn't going to be a priority, and then it magically was?

This, but how I read "we have bigger fish to fry than recreational users", is that they're waiting for fish to grow to a size worth frying there.

specsaregood
12-14-2012, 10:57 AM
Anyone care to make a wager on how soon we see reports of Federal raids on pot cafes and the like in WA and CO? What kind of odds would you give me?

Exactly, this statement is meaningless in terms of a "WIN", this is no win. All it says is the feds arent' gonna go after "users", well they never have. This implies they fully intend to go after people growing and selling.

COpatriot
12-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Of course it's not a priority. Who gives a damn about pot smokers when there's more Pakistani weddings to blow the shit out of?

VBRonPaulFan
12-14-2012, 12:23 PM
i can't do anything but laugh at people who think Obama actually follows through with anything he says. the guy got elected on a million and one promises, broke every one of them, and then got re-elected even in spite of that.

kahless
12-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Obama doubled the amount of prosecutions compared to Bush including growers who operate in full compliance of state medical marijuanua laws.

tod evans
12-14-2012, 12:28 PM

I'm not taking that bet for nuthin'!

Golding
12-14-2012, 12:32 PM
What he says is not necessarily what he means or what he will do.

TheTexan
12-14-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm kind of hoping he does try to enforce it in WA and CO. It would be a very unpopular move. Could possibly force a secession. (Which is why he won't try to enforce it, not to any significant degree)

Romulus
12-14-2012, 12:44 PM
And you all believe Obama why?

This tells me the hammer will drop on those states soon...

Acala
12-14-2012, 12:44 PM
No, he means it. I thought it would take longer than this, but the Feds realize they are going to lose this one. They saw the writing on the wall. They can't enforce the prohibition without local cooperation. More states are going to follow Colorado and Washington. The only choices for the Feds are to demonstrate their true vulnerability to popular uprisings by a continuing futile effort to enforce OR to pretend like they don't care to save face. I figured they were smart enough to save face eventually, but I didn't think they would get it this quick. Some of those assholes are pretty smart.

QuickZ06
12-14-2012, 12:45 PM
Obama doubled the amount of prosecutions compared to Bush including growers who operate in full compliance of state medical marijuanua laws.

How else is he going to get the good stuff, pay for it?

Chester Copperpot
12-14-2012, 12:46 PM
ill take it as psychological win... If it gives the appearance to the public that the feds are bowing to state pressure thats good for us

kahless
12-14-2012, 12:52 PM
No, he means it. I thought it would take longer than this, but the Feds realize they are going to lose this one. They saw the writing on the wall. They can't enforce the prohibition without local cooperation. More states are going to follow Colorado and Washington. The only choices for the Feds are to demonstrate their true vulnerability to popular uprisings by a continuing futile effort to enforce OR to pretend like they don't care to save face. I figured they were smart enough to save face eventually, but I didn't think they would get it this quick. Some of those assholes are pretty smart.

They do not need local cooperation. They just send the feds in to lock people up and shut down operations. Last year the DOJ threaten Washington state that they will "criminally prosecute state employees and those of facilitate the actions of the licensees, including property owners, landlords, and financiers should also know that their conduct violates federal law. In addition, state employees who conducted activities mandated by the Washington legislative proposals would not be immune from liability under the CSA."

puppetmaster
12-14-2012, 12:54 PM
hell they have to keep shutting down tobacco RYO stores.....no time for the potheads...../s

wait till it becomes a commercial product by a large corporation like Monsanto and then you will see new laws on cultivating and possession based on labels of manufacture.

Peace Piper
12-14-2012, 12:56 PM
"It would not make sense for us to see a top priority as going after recreational users in states that have determined that it's legal," Obama said.

Don't even have to parse it carefully, he says users

Why would anyone - a single person on the planet- believe a word uttered from this liars mouth? How many times does someone have to lie before it's just a joke?

He grins like he does because even he can't believe anyone believes him anymore

When has he lied? Better ask when he has told the truth.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/8436/obamasmile.jpg

Acala
12-14-2012, 12:59 PM
They do not need local cooperation. They just send the feds in to lock people up and shut down operations. Last year the DOJ threaten Washington state that they will "criminally prosecute state employees and those of facilitate the actions of the licensees, including property owners, landlords, and financiers should also know that their conduct violates federal law. In addition, state employees who conducted activities mandated by the Washington legislative proposals would not be immune from liability under the CSA."

All talk. There are literally millions of smokers in Colorado and Washington, not even considering the medical users in other states. There are not enough agents, there are not enough jail cells, there are not enough prosecutors, not enough courtrooms, not enough judges. Not even close. They simply can't enforce the ban on possession or use and they know it. I thought they might bluff around a bit using clever work arounds to try and isolate and scare certain people, but that wasn't going to work in the long run either. They have seen the end game and are going to salvage what they can.

RabbitMan
12-14-2012, 01:03 PM
To be fair, the vast majority of medical marijuana dispensaries closed down in Seattle have been because of two issues:

(1) The rules in WA are so vague and unclear and there literally are 0 regulations here, and the guys running them do not pay taxes because they think they can get away with it. Eventually they are targeted by an audit and shut down because they can't pay the $40,000 in taxes they now suddenly owe all at once.

(2) In the past few years(since Obama) the number of dispensaries here has at the very least doubled, and the majority of them are funded by California money that is shipping crap outdoor product with mold and pesticides on it across State Lines. That's an interstate commerce issue, and the Feds are correct to intervene since it is in their jurisdiction.

The truth is I haven't heard of a legitimate, good medical marijuana dispensary here being shut-down as of yet, and I don't think its very different anywhere else.

juleswin
12-14-2012, 01:05 PM

But the feds never went after users, they've always gone after sellers and left arrest for users to the local cops. So most likely it would be business as usual

dannno
12-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Obama said law enforcement agencies had "bigger fish to fry" than to go after users in Washington and Colorado

They'll still go after the ops then?

dannno
12-14-2012, 01:12 PM
The truth is I haven't heard of a legitimate, good medical marijuana dispensary here being shut-down as of yet, and I don't think its very different anywhere else.

That is not true in California. My town had over a dozen dispensaries at one point. At least 6 of them I would describe as "VERY GOOD", at LEAST 2-4 were "VERY LEGIT". They were all shut down, the DEA sent letters to all of them threatening to shut them down and confiscate property regardless of whether they were legit or had legit product.

kahless
12-14-2012, 01:12 PM
All talk. There are literally millions of smokers in Colorado and Washington, not even considering the medical users in other states. There are not enough agents, there are not enough jail cells, there are not enough prosecutors, not enough courtrooms, not enough judges. Not even close. They simply can't enforce the ban on possession or use and they know it. I thought they might bluff around a bit using clever work arounds to try and isolate and scare certain people, but that wasn't going to work in the long run either. They have seen the end game and are going to salvage what they can.

Obama said law enforcement agencies had "bigger fish to fry" than to go after users in Washington and Colorado, where voters approved the legalisation of marijuana on election day.

Good luck trying to get it when they aggressively go after both illegal and legal state operators including state employees.

TheTexan
12-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Good luck trying to get it when they aggressively go after both illegal and legal state operators including state employees.

They would if they could, but I believe they literally can't. Too much blow back

RabbitMan
12-14-2012, 01:19 PM

Washington State is already hiring a cannabis consultant. The longer they wait, the less likely they will intervene. I see toning down Marijuana's classification in our country's future, not retarded federal intervention.

Acala
12-14-2012, 01:20 PM
They would if they could, but I believe they literally can't. Too much blow back

Exactly. The last thing the Feds want is to ignite a pissing match between the states and the Federal government. If they start jailing state office workers for issuing permits, all hell is going to break loose. They won't do it because they will lose. The policy makers aren't stupid.

Peace Piper
12-14-2012, 01:21 PM
That is not true in California. My town had over a dozen dispensaries at one point. At least 6 of them I would describe as "VERY GOOD", at LEAST 2-4 were "VERY LEGIT". They were all shut down, the DEA sent letters to all of them threatening to shut them down and confiscate property regardless of whether they were legit or had legit product.

Here's something he could work on immediately, if he meant enforcement- if this isn't a " legitimate, good medical marijuana dispensary" then what is?

Harborside Health Center

"Oakland's latest round in its campaign to save the nation's largest medical marijuana dispensary includes a statement this week from Mayor Jean Quan saying federal prosecutors should back off, and the federal government's own patent application lauding the therapeutic qualities of cannabis.

...U.S. Attorney Melinda Haag filed suit in July seeking the closure of Harborside and the forfeiture of its offices at 1840 Embarcadero. She said the dispensary, which supplies marijuana to 108,000 patients, is violating federal drug laws.

On Dec. 20, U.S. Magistrate Maria Elena James is scheduled to consider a request by the building's owner, Ana Chretien, to shut down the dispensary and Oakland's request to put Chretien's motion on hold until James rules on the city's challenge to the government's suit. Oakland claims the federal statute of limitations required the government to seek forfeiture no later than 2011, five years after Harborside opened....

http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/Oakland-cites-surprise-medical-pot-backer-4113767.php

maybe he'll call these doggies off too:

"Over the past year, Haag and California's three other federal prosecutors have brought similar actions against landlords throughout the state that lease space to dispensaries, most of which have been evicted or closed on their own...">>

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/11/harborside-health-center-lawsuit_n_1956670.html

Anyone that believes the grinning liar should hold their breath until Dec. 20!

RabbitMan
12-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Anyone that believes the grinning liar should hold their breath until Dec. 20!

Won't the world be over the next day anyway?

UWDude
12-14-2012, 01:27 PM

Exactly.

In case you haven't noticed, everything that man says is a lie.

He knows people will not notice the news stories of the ramped up busts in WA and CO.

AGRP
12-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Will the milk raids continue?

kahless
12-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Washington State is already hiring a cannabis consultant. The longer they wait, the less likely they will intervene. I see toning down Marijuana's classification in our country's future, not retarded federal intervention.

Eventually, maybe. However the current evidence under Obama of doubling prosecutions of legal operations and going so far as to threaten state employees shows otherwise.

kahless
12-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Exactly.

In case you haven't noticed, everything that man says is a lie.

He knows people will not notice the news stories of the ramped up busts in WA and CO.

I think people buy into the Democratic party and Obama media narrative of being soft - pro marijuana and it is those evil Republicans stopping people from lighting up. All the average Joe hears are the sound bites on late night television and the headline about not going after users.

I agree, they will and have not taken notice.

dannno
12-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Will the milk raids continue?

Yes, that is a very serious issue.

Aratus
12-14-2012, 03:45 PM
this places medical pot as being at the state and local level? cooooooooooooool.

Aratus
12-14-2012, 03:47 PM
or better yet, legalized pot is like having a box of cuban cigars?

i presume major shipments will be swooped down on and jumped.

Romulus
12-14-2012, 03:50 PM
it's still illegal to buy and sell it in those states right?

Aratus
12-14-2012, 03:52 PM
ounces can be legal and/or fined, pounds and tons are not ounces!

the regs are different from state to state. like the booze laws, it is!

Romulus
12-14-2012, 03:55 PM
seems like it's still gray.. you can grow it and smoke it but not buy it and sell it.... until they find out how to tax it of course.

Aratus
12-14-2012, 04:08 PM
maine + massachusetts had intense "blue laws" that cracked down on booze prior to Prohibition + that amendment in 1920

BAllen
12-14-2012, 07:20 PM

Wrong!
They don't care. They had a program on 60 minutes about California's pot laws. The feds don't care as long as the locals weren't trying to make them look bad. End of story.

puppetmaster
12-15-2012, 02:36 AM
Wrong!
They don't care. They had a program on 60 minutes about California's pot laws. The feds don't care as long as the locals weren't trying to make them look bad. End of story.

Yeah...no .......your mistaken.

Peace Piper
12-15-2012, 03:31 AM
Wrong!

How could anyone that has paid attention to what is going on in CA say this?

And since when does 60 minutes tell the truth?

End of Story?????

READ THIS repost from #28:

"Oakland's latest round in its campaign to save the nation's largest medical marijuana dispensary includes a statement this week from Mayor Jean Quan saying federal prosecutors should back off, and the federal government's own patent application lauding the therapeutic qualities of cannabis.

...U.S. Attorney Melinda Haag filed suit in July seeking the closure of Harborside and the forfeiture of its offices at 1840 Embarcadero. She said the dispensary, which supplies marijuana to 108,000 patients, is violating federal drug laws.

On Dec. 20, U.S. Magistrate Maria Elena James is scheduled to consider a request by the building's owner, Ana Chretien, to shut down the dispensary and Oakland's request to put Chretien's motion on hold until James rules on the city's challenge to the government's suit. Oakland claims the federal statute of limitations required the government to seek forfeiture no later than 2011, five years after Harborside opened....

http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/Oakland-cites-surprise-medical-pot-backer-4113767.php

"Over the past year, Haag and California's three other federal prosecutors have brought similar actions against landlords throughout the state that lease space to dispensaries, most of which have been evicted or closed on their own...">>

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/11/harborside-health-center-lawsuit_n_1956670.html

And here's some more examples of how they "don't care":

Pending Cases in California and Elsewhere
October 25, 2012 - The U.S. Attorney's Office announced the arrests of 12 people associated with a chain of pot shops in Southern California.

John Melvin Walker allegedly operated 9 dispensaries in L.A. and Orange counties; he's been charged with failure to report taxable income, conspiracy to distribute marijuana and maintaining a drug location near schools. The suspect, who had previously been convicted of cocaine and pot charges, was also allegedly in possession of an AK-47 and shotgun.

Defendants, according to the feds, include:

-John Melvin Walker, also knows an "Pops," 56, of San Clemente, the owner/operator of the nine marijuana stores;
-Ryan Aparicio Mondragon, 30, Westminster, who managed Santa Ana Superior Care and who is currently being sought by authorities;
-Danielle Pamela Stebel, also known as "Mob Queen," 25, of Long Beach, who helped manage Belmont Shore Natural Care;
-Nicholas Einar Lattu, also known as "Dragon 6," 28, of Long Beach, who owned Shadow Ops Security, a company that provided security services to the marijuana stores, and who is currently being sought by authorities;
-Ryan Scott Hunt, 36, of Fullerton, who managed Garden Grove Alternative Care;
-Perry Brooks Forehand, also known as "Bucky," 33, of Mission Viejo, the manager of Safe Harbor Collective;
-Nicholas Martin Butier III, 32, of Lakewood, who was the manager of Alternative Herbal Health;
-Sierra Marina Serhan, also known as "Happy Chick," 33, of Long Beach, who helped manage Belmont Shore Natural Care;
-Alvin Wesley Walker, 29, of Long Beach, who is believed to be John Walker's nephew and who helped manage Belmont Shore Natural Care;
-John Eugene Scandalios, 59, of Lakewood, who allegedly supplied marijuana to Santa Fe Compassionate Health Care;
-Karen Lee Leto, 70, of Huntington Beach, who allegedly helped manage Costa Mesa Patients Association;
-Craig Lawrence Leto, 49, of Newport Beach who is Karen Leto's son and who allegedly helped manage Costa Mesa Patients Association;
-Michael Alan Nixon, 33, of Long Beach, who allegedly supplied marijuana to Santa Fe Compassionate Health Care;
-Alan David Nixon, 59, of Long Beach, who is Michael Nixon's father and who allegedly managed Santa Fe Compassionate Health Care.

All of the above are charged with conspiracy. They were arraigned on 10/26 in Orange County.

Source.
October 19, 2012 - Raymond Arthur Gentile, 51, and Gustavo Angel Salinas, 24, are accused of various crimes related to marijuana cultivation and distribution for involvement with ANP Collective in Bakersfield. Gentile, who was arrested in San Bernardino County after a high-speed chase with California Highway Patrol officers, also faces a federal firearm charge. The case began after a customer accused them of assault with a baseball bat and a Glock handgun after he allegedly stole one gram of marijuana during a purchase. Agents seized 170 marijuana plants, 25 pounds of processed marijuana, nearly 3,000 pills, a 12-gauge shotgun and more than $68,000 in cash. Gentile and Salinas each face a maximum of 40 years in prison and millions of dollars in fines, the U.S. Attorney's office said. Read more.
October 11, 2012 - OAKLAND SUES FEDS WHILE LONG BEACH RAIDS 7 DISPENSARIES
In contrasting moves, the city of Oakland has sued the federal government to stop its forfeiture actions against city-regulated dispensaries, while Long Beach has joined the feds to arrest 40 dispensary workers and is threatening to arrest more.
October 12, 2012 - Aaron Sandusky, whose G3 Holistic collective had storefronts in Upland, Colton and Moreno Valley, was found guilty on two felony counts of conspiracy and possession with intent to distribute charges. The jury deadlocked on four other charges having to do with operating a location involved with drugs. Judge Anderson declared a mistrial on those counts. Sandusky faces sentencing on January 7, 2013, and could get 10 years.

Sandusky's brother Keith and four other former employees of G3 Holistic have pleaded guilty in the case. They are awaiting sentencing.
Read more.

G3 co-founder John Leslie Nuckolls II testified at Aaron's trial, a condition of his plea bargain. Nuckolls testified he had been friends with Sandusky for about 11 years. In 2009 he approached Sandusky, who had real estate and broker experience, about opening a medical marijuana dispensary.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Jay Robinson asked Nuckolls if, in June 2009, he was working as a confidential informant for the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department.

"I was not," Nuckolls, who added that he talked with the agency, along with San Bernardino County District Attorney's Office and the DEA, and worked with them, but never worked as an informant.

Robinson then pointed out that Nuckolls had an agreement with the DA's Office at that time and after helping them with cases had a felony charge dismissed. Read more.
September 27, 2012 - 150 agents from US Homeland Security (!), FBI, DEA, CHP and Sonoma sheriff's deputies wearing military garb and were accompanied by an armored military vehicle stormed from house to house, pulling up backyard gardens, in an impoverished section of Santa Rosa. Read more.

On September 25, Drug Enforcement Administration agents raided the Live Love Collective in Anaheim.

Meanwhile, five medical marijuana patients and caregivers from Michigan will be sentenced in federal court next week. Read more.
September 25 - Federal authorities took legal action against 71 medical marijuana dispensaries in Los Angeles County, including all known collectives in downtown and Eagle Rock part of an ongoing campaign to crack down on medical marijuana.

According to the U.S. attorney's office, officials sent warning letters to 68 pot dispensaries, filed forfeiture lawsuits against three properties that house such businesses and served search warrants at three additional facilities. Read more.
7/17/2012 - Federal agents raided a medical marijuana dispensary in unincorporated Lake Elsinore, for the second time in three months. Drug Enforcement Agency agents seized marijuana from Compassionate Patients Association, in the 17500 block of Grand Avenue, and told them to shut down. No arrests were made.
7/16/2012 - Mark Bagdasarian, the Clovis pot dispensary owner who already is facing marijuana possession and distribution allegations, is now being hit with federal money laundering charges, even as HSBC bank apologizes to a Senate committee for laundering billions in Mexican cartel drug assets (but faces no criminal charges).
7/12/2012 - The federal government filed property forfeiture suits aimed at closing Harborside, the foremost medical cannabis dispensary still operating in Northern California. In addition to its flagship Oakland location, Harborside operates a branch in San Jose. The landlords of both received forfeiture notices from the DOJ. Read more.
7/11/2012 - A federal search warrant was served at the Pacific Collective in Venice; the facility is now closed.

The federal government has sent a letter to the landlord for Golden State Patient Care Collective in Colfax, threatening him with forfeiture and criminal charges. "Once again, the DOJ is violating AG Holder's own supposed policy by targeting not rogue criminal profiteers, but a well-run, respected dispensary that is abiding in full accordance with California law," said Dale Gieringer of CalNORML. "The DOJ's real agenda is to try to destroy the most successful leaders in the medical cannabis industry because they prove that lawful access to cannabis works, contrary to the government's bankrupt policy of prohibition."

In June, federal authorities filed two asset forfeiture lawsuits against properties housing three pot shops in Santa Fe Springs and sent warning letters to 34 people associated with allegedly illegal marijuana operations in Los Angeles County. The warning letters targeted known marijuana stores in Santa Fe Springs, Whittier, South El Monte, La Mirada, Diamond Bar, Artesia, Paramount, South Gate, City of Commerce, Agoura Hills and Malibu.
5/4/2012 - The DEA, along with the U.S. Attorney's Office, IRS and Santa Barbara police, served search warrants at several collectives and gardens in Santa Barbara county, and filed three forfeiture proceedings in court. "All known marijuana stores in Santa Barbara County are now the subject of federal enforcement actions," said to a statement from the U.S. Attorney's Office.

According to the U.S, Attorney's Office, the asset-forfeiture lawsuits were filed against Miramar Collective on Ortega Hill Road in Summerland, Pacific Coast Collective, at 331 N. Milpas St. in Santa Barbara, whose operator is currently being prosecuted in state court, and an indoor marijuana farm in the 300 block of East Haley Street in Santa Barbara.

Warrants were also served Wednesday at Pacific Coast Collective, and the residence of operator Charles Jeff Restivo in Carpinteria, who is already facing felony charges related to the dispensary. Read more.
4/25/2012 - Federal prosecutors filed forfeiture actions on April 23 against The Green Door Wellness Center and the Green Tiger Collective, both in Novato. The Green Tiger has closed, but the Green Door is fighting to stay open. Read more.
2/29/2012 - US attorneys have sent landlord letters to over 50 more dispensaries in the Inland Empire area (San Bernardino, Fontana, Colton and Bloomington), where local officials have been pressing to close them. In addition, Cal NORML has learned of new landlord letters in Mendocino, apparently targeted at facilities within 1,000 feet of schools or playgrounds.

On February 28, Benjamin Wagner, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of California, vowed a new crackdown on large medical marijuana grows. In an appearance at the Sacramento Press club, Wagner said in the coming months a new focus will be made on pot farms with tens of thousands of plants in the central valley, from Stanislaus County down to Kern County," Wagner said. When asked if he'd ever smoked marijuana himself, Wagner replied, "I'll say I went to college."

That day, U.S. District Judge Garland E. Burrell Jr. dismissed one of five suits that had been filed in federal courts last fall in a bid to win legal support for medical marijuana use in California and other states. Burrell's order came in a suit filed in federal court in Sacramento last November on behalf of the El Camino Wellness Center and Ryan Landers, a 40-year-old Sacramento man who uses medical marijuana to alleviate suffering from AIDS and other illnesses.
February 21, 2012 - Matthew Shotwell, operator and founder of Greenwell Cooperative in Vallejo was arrested by Vallejo Police and taken into custody. Almost 800 plants were seized from the different locations, police said. The U.S. Attorney's Office Eastern District of California is also investigating a potential civil action against the building's owner, Vallejo Police Lt. Ken Weaver said. Other collectives in Valljeo were reportedly raided on the same day.

January 25, 2012 - Federal agents seized more than 2,500 marijuana plants and arrested at least six people in connection with alleged marijuana grows in an industrial complex just outside Murrieta city limits. On Jan. 18, there were 1,827 marijuana plants seized from the Disabled American Veteran's Collective (DAVC), in the same complex. Two people were arrested in that raid: Kevin Freeman, 38, of Temecula, the director of the collective, and Dennis Earl Zuniga, 32. Prior to the raids, DAVC was visited twice in December by an undercover Riverside County Sheriff's detective who had obtained a medical marijuana card and was able to purchase marijuana twice at the dispensary, according to the warrant. The building's owner Jonathan Cringan, according to the warrant, who was among four arrested. Read more.
January 19, 2012 - A former University of Montana Grizzly quarterback pleaded not guilty in federal court to a charge of conspiracy to manufacture and distribute marijuana. Jason Washington entered his plea in front of U.S. Magistrate Jeremiah Lynch. Washington is one of six defendants named in the indictment, which follows a widespread federal raid last November on numerous businesses, homes and warehouses linked to marijuana businesses in western Montana. Read more.
UPDATE 9/10/12 - Christopher Cronshaw, 25, was sentenced to 125 days in prison and three months home arrest and Gregory Zuckert to three days in prison and three months home arrest. Prosecutors say the 25-year-old Cronshaw was the head grower at Washington's greenhouse.
January 18, 2012 - As part of a continuing, coordinated effort against commercial marijuana operations in California that started last fall, federal prosecutors have filed four asset forfeiture lawsuits against properties housing marijuana storefronts in Los Angeles and Orange counties and have sent warning letters to property owners and operators of illegal marijuana stores in several Southland cities.

The forfeiture actions include American Collective, Otherside Farms, and three other marijuana stores operating at 440 Fair Drive in Costa Mesa. All known collectives in Costa Mesa and Newport Beach are now the subject of federal enforcement actions.

Another asset forfeiture lawsuit has been filed against the building that houses the Alternative Medicinal Cannabis Collective (AMCC) in an unincorporated part of Covina.

Warning letters were sent last week to property owners and operators associated with marijuana stores in unincorporated Walnut, La Puente, Murrieta and Lake Elsinore, where a total of 17 stores are believed to be currently operating. Those receiving letters were warned that the stores are operating in violation of federal law and that they have 15 days to take steps to discontinue the sale and distribution of marijuana at the stores.

Three civil forfeiture actions filed in October are still pending, but the stores in the properties have been closed. And dozens of letters sent to those associated with marijuana stores in 13 Southland cities have resulted in nearly all of the stores being closed, with the remainder currently being the subject of eviction proceedings.

Read more.
January 12, 2012 - United States Attorney Benjamin B. Wagner announced the filing of a civil forfeiture complaint against Grass, aka Sacramento Holistic Healing Center. According to the complaint, Grass/SHHC is located less than 1,000 feet from an elementary school and a high school. Read more.

And federal agents raided three pot dispensaries in San Diego acting on a "landlord law" that was put into action by the U.S. Attorney's office last year. Agents targeted Golden West Collective on University Avenue in North Park with assistance from San Diego Police. Read more.

Cal NORML has received word that in Sacramento County, a score of dispensaries have closed voluntarily in response to the landlord letters. Also, in the Northern District several well-regarded dispensaries have been targeted on the spurious grounds that they were within 1,000 feet of playgrounds or parks, including the Humboldt Medical Supply in Arcata.
October 14, 2011 - Federal prosecutors are warning 16 Sacramento-area landlords they could lose their buildings for renting to marijuana dispensaries. United States Attorney Ben Wagner is following through on a threat formally announced at a news conference last Friday, and confirmed the number of landlord letters in an interview Thursday on Capital Public Radio.
October 13, 2011 - DEA agents along with BNE and one Mendocino county sheriff deputy raided the garden of Northstone Organics, one of the county-licensed medical marijuana growers. Northstone has been involved in a court case in Sonoma county after two of their drivers were caught there while transporting marijuana to medical patients in the Bay area. A Mendocino sheriff and county supervisor testified on behalf of Northstone in that trial.

Also on this day, United States Attorney Benjamin B. Wagner announced that a federal grand jury returned a four-count indictment Mark Bagdasarian and his son Ryan Bagdasarian with conspiring to cultivate and distribute marijuana and possessing marijuana through their Buds 4 Life dispensaries in Fresno. According to the criminal complaint, in June 2011, the Bagdasarian’s stores were searched and law enforcement officers found 3,669 marijuana plants, 219 pounds of processed marijuana, and more than $546,000 in cash. A more recent search yielded another 35 pounds of processed marijuana and $40,000 in cash.
October 12, 2011 - DEA agents, assisted by Pomona police officers, raided the Green Cross USA dispensary, seizing marijuana, edibles, hashish, hashish oil and some documents as part of an investigation. The property owner had received a letter from DEA threatening civil and criminal charges; local authorities had also moved to close the shop. No arrests have been made.
October 5, 2011 - In conjunction with a new federal assault on California's medical marijuana providers, a criminal case was unsealed naming six defendants linked to a now-defunct North Hollywood marijuana collective called NoHo Caregivers. The organization allegedly sold marijuana to other stores, and sent marijuana to affiliates in New York and Pennsylvania - distributed approximately 600 to 700 pounds of marijuana per month, according to the indictment. The indictment also seeks the forfeiture of $14.7 million. The defendants named in the NoHo Caregivers indictment are Paul A. Montoya, Noah Joel Kleinman, Kathy Thabet, James Stanley, Bryant Watson, and Casey Wheat. Their trial is set for May 22, 2012.

Prosecutors also filed three forfeiture actions against owners of buildings where The Wildomar Patients Compassionate Group, Montclair Caregivers in San Bernardino County, and eight stores located in a two-story strip mall at 26402 Raymond Way in Lake Forest.

Federal authorities arrested Ron Chang, 43, of the Wildomar collective; Amanda Theresa Ventura, 28; Peter Arthur Suhan, 54; Hal Delno Pilotte, 57; and Gary David Maddox, 55. A sixth defendant, James Travis Brand, 28, was extradited from Texas and also charged. Pilotte had a hearing in San Diego on January 10, 2012, where the judge granted the defense team time to investigate a wiretap order.

Pilotte had lots of support in court from other senior citizens, most of them not medical marijuana patients. His next hearing is November 28, 2012 at 9:30AM.

In addition to the criminal case and the forfeiture actions, the United States Attorney's Office sent dozens of letters yesterday to people affiliated with 38 marijuana dispensaries in selected cities across the Southland. Those receiving letters are warned that the stores are operating in violation of federal law and that they have two weeks to "take the necessary steps to discontinue the sale and/or distribution of marijuana" at the stores. The letters note that the operation of a marijuana store "may result in criminal prosecution, imprisonment, fines, and forfeiture of assets, including the real property on which the dispensary is operating and any money you receive (or have received) from the dispensary operator."

http://www.canorml.org/costs/federal_medical_marijuana_prisoners_and_cases

They don't care?

ABSURD.
Believe Obama? He's a real truth teller isn't he

BAllen
12-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Long posting=bullshit.
You heard obammy say it wasn't a big deal to him, either, so stop whining about it and smoke a joint, okay?

Origanalist
12-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Long posting=bullshit.
You heard obammy say it wasn't a big deal to him, either, so stop whining about it and smoke a joint, okay?

Words are hard, aren't they BAllen?

fr33
12-16-2012, 06:55 AM
My attitude is wait and see what happens. Democrats have a lot to lose if they keep cracking down on the states against their popular votes so it is possible that they won't enforce it. But the way these fed agencies work they can't stop themselves from getting involved especially if they see a lot of money. The larger "pot stores" that exist in the future would be the most likely targets if the feds step in.

DerailingDaTrain
12-16-2012, 06:57 AM
It's the same position on medical cannabis. The feds won't go after individual users but growers and sellers are fair game for arrest.

presence
12-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Obama said law enforcement agencies had "bigger fish to fry"

http://fridayfishfryguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Paisanos-fish-fry-2.jpg

DamianTV
12-16-2012, 11:05 AM
My attitude is wait and see what happens. Democrats have a lot to lose if they keep cracking down on the states against their popular votes so it is possible that they won't enforce it. But the way these fed agencies work they can't stop themselves from getting involved especially if they see a lot of money. The larger "pot stores" that exist in the future would be the most likely targets if the feds step in.

So they'd go after the Walmart of Weed and focus less on the Cornerstore of Cannabis?

torchbearer
12-16-2012, 11:10 AM
in 2008, after Obama was elected the first time, he'd often say stuff like, "we aren't going after cannabis users"- the media will trumpet his awesomeness, and at the same time the DEA was fucking people's shit up in cali.
I believe the same is true now, the media has given the liberals the headlines they need, now Obama can go to doing what he was going to do anyway. fuck people's shit up.

talkingpointes
12-16-2012, 11:40 AM
in 2008, after Obama was elected the first time, he'd often say stuff like, "we aren't going after cannabis users"- the media will trumpet his awesomeness, and at the same time the DEA was fucking people's shit up in cali.
I believe the same is true now, the media has given the liberals the headlines they need, now Obama can go to doing what he was going to do anyway. fuck people's shit up.

I believe you and others are right. I don't think that the raids are going to stop now and are just going to continue. The media has provided the "cover" or at least the guise-of, so now he will go forth and do what he was doing all along -- fucking peoples shit up!

BY THE WAY -- BALLen do you have a mission to be the most ignored poster on the forums? If not then at least read to yourself out-loud your posts before posting. If I need say more then well, have a good day.

Aratus
12-16-2012, 04:01 PM
So they'd go after the Walmart of Weed and focus less on the Cornerstore of Cannabis?

Obama said law enforcement agencies had "bigger fish to fry"

http://fridayfishfryguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Paisanos-fish-fry-2.jpg

good question! given that many anti~war hippies backed barack obama in the begining...

bolil
12-16-2012, 09:20 PM
This, but how I read "we have bigger fish to fry than recreational users", is that they're waiting for fish to grow to a size worth frying there.

Small fish are easy to fry. Best way to catch small fish is in a net. Best kind of net is unseen, until sprung. Ask some victims of the federal marijuana feint in Montana how this game is played, provided you can visit them in federal prison. He doesn't have much respect for us, so quickly recycling a ruse.

fr33
12-17-2012, 04:24 AM
So they'd go after the Walmart of Weed and focus less on the Cornerstore of Cannabis?Sure. Walmart of Weed has more wealth to extort and can be labeled as an evil corporation.