PDA

View Full Version : Governors Push Congress For Nat'l Internet Sales Tax

Matt Collins
12-13-2012, 02:23 PM
http://tncampaignforliberty.org/wordpress/2012/12/haslam-begs-for-natl-internet-sales-tax-again/

sailingaway
12-13-2012, 03:26 PM
No.

Just.... No.

ninepointfive
12-13-2012, 03:28 PM
t.o.r

youngbuck
12-13-2012, 05:31 PM
In a letter sent to Congress Tuesday, Washington Democratic Gov. Chris Gregoire and Tennessee Republican Gov. Bill Haslam urged Congress to quickly pass bills that have languished in the House and Senate for over a year that would require sales tax on all online purchases.

This will be a severe blow to the economy. A lot of online businesses will close, and greater amount of the people's wealth will be siphoned off to the gov't. It'll amount to a trio of calamity. This needs to be vehemently opposed.

rprprs
12-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Amazon just recently started charging sales tax on items sold by them and shipped to my state.

I'm afraid the days of tax free internet shopping are numbered. :mad:

Dr.3D
12-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Well, if they do implement such a thing, I hope the state where the seller is, is where the tax would be going. This would encourage states to make is easier for internet marketers to get started.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
12-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Fuck them.

Sorry, but that's all I got right now.

presence
12-13-2012, 05:46 PM
t.o.r

Wouldn't amazon still tag you on the shipping/billing address?

Keith and stuff
12-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Such a law would greatly help with big stores doing business in NH, OR and DE because people would be more likely to drive to those states to buy things, sales tax free. However, it would even burden companies in those states (and especially AK and MT) because companies in those states would have to set-up a system to collect sales tax on online purchases from out of state buyers. In fact, such a law would hurt AK the most since it wouldn't benefit the state at all but companies would still have to set up a tax collection system. If I was an elected government official in AK, I'd run with this. I'd show the people of AK how I was working very hard to fight this bill.

As for NH, it's cool that even though NH is only 1 of 3 states that will receive a net benefit from this bill, she is 1 of the national leaders fighting the bill, for the good of the country. If only she was right on more issues...

mrsat_98
12-13-2012, 06:15 PM
use a tax exempt form, they are required to take it no questions asked.

oyarde
12-13-2012, 06:24 PM
I will never pay that tax, I would just buy local , or not at all.

KrokHead
12-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Hopefully the democrats take that up as an issue like the e-mail tax issue of 12 years ago.

oyarde
12-13-2012, 06:26 PM
And what the hell is up with TN?, do they not already have 10% sales tax ?? Oh, yeah, revenue has probably gone down , everyone probably just buys big ticket items the two states North where they save 3 - 4 % .

oyarde
12-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Hopefully the democrats take that up as an issue like the e-mail tax issue of 12 years ago. I could see them with a text tax....

kahless
12-13-2012, 06:33 PM
With all the talk about how far a part the parties are, well this destroys that myth. Both R and D politicians (the one party system) are fighting hard to add this new tax.

Wikipedia has a list of Senators (co-sponsors) and politicians supporting the bill, with their dates of re-election. Although some of it has not been updated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marketplace_Fairness_Act

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush is also getting into it with a letter he wrote to FL Gov. Rick Scott. At least this provides another issue to stop any chance Jeb Bush has in 2016.

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush has also come out in favor of such taxes, claiming online shopping is hurting the state’s revenue stream.
In a letter to current Florida Gov. Rick Scott, Bush writes, “It seems to me there has to be a way to tax sales done online in the same way that sales are taxed in brick and mortar establishments. My guess is that there would be hundreds of millions of dollars that then could be used to reduce taxes to fulfill campaign promises.”

http://dailycaller.com/2012/12/13/governors-ask-congress-for-online-sales-tax-authority/#ixzz2EyowuoKY

Anti Federalist
12-13-2012, 06:34 PM
I could see them with a text tax....

Stamp Act.

Anti Federalist
12-13-2012, 06:36 PM
In a letter sent to Congress Tuesday, Washington Democratic Gov. Chris Gregoire and Tennessee Republican Gov. Bill Haslam urged Congress to quickly pass bills that have languished in the House and Senate for over a year that would require sales tax on all online purchases.

LOL

LOL

LOL

juleswin
12-13-2012, 06:36 PM
Why is it ok to tax land based businesses but not internet based ones? Don't get me wrong, I am not for higher taxes but how is that fair? its either you tax nobody or you tax everybody

Keith and stuff
12-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Why is it ok to tax land based businesses but not internet based ones? Don't get me wrong, I am not for higher taxes but how is that fair? its either you tax nobody or you tax everybody

You have an interesting point about fairness. The fair thing to do, though, is to not have a state or local sales tax. This minor issue is just a distraction from the have a sales tax or not have a sales tax issue.

Matt Collins
12-13-2012, 09:36 PM
I will never pay that tax, I would just buy local , or not at all.If you buy local, then you are paying sales tax. That's the point, is that local stores are having to pay sales tax while online places are not. They want to "make it fair" or "level the playing field"

Matt Collins
12-13-2012, 09:37 PM
Why is it ok to tax land based businesses but not internet based ones? Don't get me wrong, I am not for higher taxes but how is that fair? its either you tax nobody or you tax everybodyIt's not fair because taxation is fundamentally theft and should not be done at all.

juleswin
12-13-2012, 10:13 PM
It's not fair because taxation is fundamentally theft and should not be done at all.

I am not going to argue with that, but just like in the marriage case, we all agree that govt should stay out of the marriage business, but if it decides to involve itself, it should treat all parties the same.

You know, I was wondering if it would be legal for a store front businesses to setup a computer and internet connect at the register and allows their customers to pay online to avoid sales tax?

oyarde
12-13-2012, 10:37 PM
If you buy local, then you are paying sales tax. That's the point, is that local stores are having to pay sales tax while online places are not. They want to "make it fair" or "level the playing field" Well , let me see .... do I want to pay shipping , AND TAX , or , just tax? I will pay no net tax , fuck them all .

juleswin
12-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Well , let me see .... do I want to pay shipping , AND TAX , or , just tax? I will pay no net tax , fuck them all .

So in a way, internet stores need sales tax on store front businesses to stay competitive because they actually pay for two shipping charges. Hmm, I never thought of it that way.

cbrons
12-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Protectionism is a long-time position of scum governors

cindy25
12-13-2012, 11:05 PM

billing address would be easy, just open a private mailbox in NH

Dr.3D
12-13-2012, 11:13 PM
If you buy local, then you are paying sales tax. That's the point, is that local stores are having to pay sales tax while online places are not. They want to "make it fair" or "level the playing field"
Well to play fair, shouldn't it be the state that the online store is located in be the one that gets the tax revenue. Why should the state where the person who is buying the stuff lives get that tax? This would encourage more states to promote online sales in their state.

oyarde
12-14-2012, 02:29 PM
I went back through my records this year, I bought 63 things on the net, pd tax on one ,it was around a $44 purchase total and I wanted it badly , two coins in it I needed for my collection, it was an incomplete collection , four of them alone @ value @ around $90 .I gave all of them but the two to a Grand Daughter .I would not have bought any of the others if I had to pay tax , some were free shipping , some I pd shipping. Avg shipping costs around $2.

ninepointfive
12-14-2012, 02:52 PM

good point. actually you wouldn't be shopping on sites like amazon over tor. mom and pop shop resurgence.

jbauer
12-14-2012, 03:19 PM
Well, if they do implement such a thing, I hope the state where the seller is, is where the tax would be going. This would encourage states to make is easier for internet marketers to get started.

My worry is that they're going to make me collect tax for ALL the states we ship stuff to. We're quite small and do maybe $10k or so a year. Do you realize how much of a pain in the arse it would be to collect and monthly turn in 50 states worth of returns.

Dr.3D
12-14-2012, 03:29 PM
My worry is that they're going to make me collect tax for ALL the states we ship stuff to. We're quite small and do maybe $10k or so a year. Do you realize how much of a pain in the arse it would be to collect and monthly turn in 50 states worth of returns.
It would be like you sold it to somebody who came in the door. You would be collecting the tax for your state only.
That's why I'm saying it would only be fair if it was done this way. Sure would be a big pain in the butt any other way.

Romulus
12-14-2012, 03:39 PM

Yes that is coming.. the IRS is already holding Paypal over a barrell to report more thank 20k in sales so those users have to file. So it will be ingrained into Paypal.

Also, little do people know but Amazon, eBay etc have actually negotiated and are FOR collecting tax because they get a kickback for doing so. It was all fleshed out on CSPAN just I just happened to catch.. they were talking about what percentage these online retailers would need to keep to 'cover' the cost of collecting such a tax, and the rest of course goes to govt.

So dont buy the noise that these online retailers are against taxing you.. they are profiting by being tax collectors.

Zippyjuan
12-14-2012, 04:09 PM
use a tax exempt form, they are required to take it no questions asked.
Don't you need a Tax Exempt ID number for that?

oyarde
12-14-2012, 05:08 PM
Don't you need a Tax Exempt ID number for that?

I have one , but only normally use it at Menards & Home Depot. Where I live, any place you do business with has to have it on file in the computer system for you to use it , would not work for me in a different state??

oyarde
12-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Meh, like I said, screw a net tax , I am not paying , easy for me to just not use it.