PDA

View Full Version : The Guardian: CIA 'tortured and sodomised' terror suspect, European court rules

sailingaway
12-13-2012, 11:50 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2012/dec/13/cia-tortured-sodomised-terror-suspect

I don't know anything about this case except this article that came across twitter.

Demigod
12-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Ok my government are big time assholes but why isn't the CIA taking any of the blame.

sailingaway
12-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Ok my government are big time assholes but why isn't the CIA taking any of the blame.

hey, I posted it, didn't I?

supermario21
12-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Even it it's true, I really could care less what a European court says about us.

sailingaway
12-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Even it it's true, I really could care less what a European court says about us.

I wouldn't think they typically have jurisdiction but this rendition occurred there to a European citizen. I don't give jurisdiction to European courts as a rule, generally, but I care if our CIA is kidnapping and sodomizing people, even if it is European courts discussing it. The jurisdiction and sovereignty discussion is separate.

jmdrake
12-13-2012, 02:01 PM

Did you read the article?

CIA agents tortured a German citizen, sodomising, shackling, and beating him, as Macedonian state police looked on, the European court of human rights said in a historic judgment released on Thursday.

In a unanimous ruling, it also found Macedonia guilty of torturing, abusing, and secretly imprisoning Khaled el-Masri, a German of Lebanese origin allegedly linked to terrorist organisations.

Now admittedly I don't think the European Union should even exist. But it does. Imagine if member states decide to quit cooperating with CIA rendition teams in the future based on this ruling?