PDA

View Full Version : How are things in Libya? "Psychological scars of war take toll in Misrata"

J_White
12-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Some who have lived through the fighting also share a deep sense of depression and disillusionment at the lack of change they feel in the post-Gaddafi Libya.
"I feel that those people who died in the war died for nothing. For sure they are martyrs according to our religion, but I think they died for nothing and that's what drove me to depression. For me personally, I feel my life was better before the revolution."
"Of course there is no freedom of speech at the moment. I am Misratan, my father is Misratan, my grandfather the same, but I cannot criticise the revolution, even on Facebook," Ahmed says.

I wonder why all the MSM is focused now on the atrocities by Syrian govt, but we dont hear enough about how things are so much better after we "spread democracy" in Libya and Egypt ? Or even in Afghanistan and Iraq for that matter !

Brian4Liberty
12-13-2012, 12:36 AM
But they have a Central Bank there now. The ends justify the means. Mundanes don't matter.

Libya’s Post-Conflict Recovery Better Than Expected, IMF Says
13/11/2012 11:54:00

The International Monetary Fund, IMF’s Regional Economic Outlook for the Middle East and Central Asia, released November 11 in Dubai, projects growth in the Middle East and North Africa region at 5.1 percent in 2012, up from 3.3 percent in 2011. It reports that the Middle East and Central Asian region’s oil-exporting countries are expected to post solid growth in 2012, largely on account of Libya’s better-than-expected post-conflict recovery.

It says that Libya’s post-revolution recovery in hydrocarbon production has advanced faster than expected, reaching close to 90 percent of the pre-conflict level. Despite daunting challenges in the aftermath of the revolution, economic activity is recovering rapidly with the restoration of hydrocarbon production.

As of June 2012, total hydrocarbon output reached more than 1.52 million barrels per day, up from an average of 166,000 barrels per day during the conflict period in 2011, and is expected to increase to the pre-conflict level by 2013.

This faster-than-expected recovery has already given a momentous boost to Libya’s hydrocarbon exports and raised the budget and current account surpluses. Non-resource sectors of the economy have also seen a broad-based turnaround, led by public spending on reconstruction and the release of pent-up private demand.

http://www.tripolipost.com/articledetail.asp?c=1&i=9481

Dark_Horse_Rider
12-13-2012, 11:23 AM
I wonder why all the MSM is focused now on the atrocities by Syrian govt, but we dont hear enough about how things are so much better after we "spread democracy" in Libya and Egypt ? Or even in Afghanistan and Iraq for that matter !

+rep

logic and clear seeing , nice post amigo

Lucille
12-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Very sad. What did they think would happen when they replaced Gaddafi's secular regime with an Islamic Theocracy? File this one under "Be careful what you wish for."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20629175

"I feel that those people who died in the war died for nothing. For sure they are martyrs according to our religion, but I think they died for nothing and that's what drove me to depression. For me personally, I feel my life was better before the revolution."

Before the war, Ahmed used to do some trading abroad. Today he says he can't even get a visa to leave Libya and sees no future. In his bleakest moments, he has even contemplated suicide, an action that is fiercely condemned by Islam.

"Before the revolution I had ambitions but now I'm really depressed and I don't have the ambitions I had before. Nothing is stable in the country.

Questioning the revolution in a city like Misrata, which has developed a powerful cult of heroism and victimhood after experiencing the brunt of the fighting and casualties, brings its own dangers in the new Libya.

"Of course there is no freedom of speech at the moment. I am Misratan, my father is Misratan, my grandfather the same, but I cannot criticise the revolution, even on Facebook," Ahmed says.
[...]
"The question that keeps coming to my mind, is 'What did we gain?' I feel we gained nothing, but I can't say that in public because some katiba [brigade] may harm me or my family or even arrest me."
[...]
"We have many of them, they're very disappointed and have depression because actually they need medicine, they need people to work with, and we don't have it. They thought previously that if they changed the Gaddafi regime everything would be fine. And, of course, this is not logically right."

Almost two years after he first started fighting, Ahmed is at last beginning treatment. His road to recovery will be a long one.

"I fought hard during the revolution, from Tripoli Street in Misrata to Bab al Aziziya [Gaddafi's compound in Tripoli] and Sirte," he says.

"I lost my business, I lost my friends and now I don't have anything left. My dreams are completely broken."

Dark_Horse_Rider
12-13-2012, 02:11 PM
There were reports that a very large number of the " rebels " that the USG supported had the policy of indiscriminately killing all of the dark skinned africans that they encountered in Libya and having their way with the women

James Madison
12-13-2012, 03:00 PM
There were reports that a very large number of the " rebels " that the USG supported had the policy of indiscriminately killing all of the dark skinned africans that they encountered in Libya and having their way with the women

Sounds about right. The Ottoman Empire was the primary purchaser of West African slaves; a lot of racial tension in the region.

juleswin
12-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Sounds about right. The Ottoman Empire was the primary purchaser of West African slaves; a lot of racial tension in the region.

Me wonders why those racial tensions seem to boil over once the US is involved. I knew people(black people) that lived and worked in Tripoli, they didn't to experience any problem till Amnesty international smeared the black Libyan service men by accusing them of being African mercenaries.

I still wonder

klamath
12-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Libya is a prime example of the results of a glorious bloody revolution ending up the same or worse than when they started out. Only difference is a lot of people are dead and some bitter, bitter anomosity simmers underneath.
Egypt looks to be heading right back into the totalitarian state it was before only the opposition in charge now.

LibForestPaul
12-13-2012, 03:59 PM
fomenting unrest and pulling israeli support and palestinian state. someone's implementing biblicle prphecies no doubt

J_White
12-14-2012, 12:37 AM
all we hear these days is about how Syrian "rebels" are slowly gaining on the dictator there.
when its done, we wont hear anything about that country too, and probably move to some other country that we need to "liberate" !!
how can people continue ignoring whats being done in their name !
and then they believe that "they" hate us for our "freedoms" (rather, whatever is left of it).

Dark_Horse_Rider
12-14-2012, 11:37 AM
all we hear these days is about how Syrian "rebels" are slowly gaining on the dictator there.
when its done, we wont hear anything about that country too, and probably move to some other country that we need to "liberate" !!
how can people continue ignoring whats being done in their name !
and then they believe that "they" hate us for our "freedoms" (rather, whatever is left of it).

yeah that ^ and

trying to ignore it because they are in denial that a dem no belle piece prize winner could be doing the same as that wicked dubya

said it before , will say it again , the ptb knew well the publics loathe for the dubya back in mid 2000, they also knew well that they had a plan for mid east and africa that they wanted to implement that would have most likely lead to riots and massive protests around the world if tried under his or (similar to his) command. what they needed was a brother from a different mother, perhaps with some mid east - african heritage ( connection ) to make it all ok and pallatable to the world, and after all he is a no belle peace prize winner . . .

Dark_Horse_Rider
12-15-2012, 11:44 PM
. . .