PDA

View Full Version : Participant claims Fox News Denver rigged marijuana driving test results

aGameOfThrones
12-12-2012, 07:53 PM
In May of this year, KDVR, Fox News 31 of Denver, Colorado aired a segment in which it tested the effects of marijuana on drivers. At the time of the story, Colorado lawmakers narrowly voted down a law that would have made it illegal to drive with more than five nanograms per milliliter of the drug in your system. So, to determine the effects of driving under the influence of marijuana, the local Fox affiliate gathered up several volunteers, with ages ranging from early-20's to mid-60's, and asked them to hop into a driving simulator after smoking pot. Once participant was not convinced of the news station's objectivity.

Max Montrose was one of the younger volunteers, and he was skeptical about the study, so he brought a hidden camera with him. Following the experiment, he posted a video to YouTube last week, cutting in clips of the new story with his own footage of the test. In one hidden camera clip, Montrose gets a camera operator to admit that the test isn't really that applicable, as well as other volunteers pointing out that the simulator was designed for the CDL test, designed for large semi trucks. He also contends that another vehicle in the simulator acted erratically and crashed into him in the course of his test.

The whole video seemed very damning on its surface, but KDVR has shot back, providing context to many of the issues raised by Montrose. The station explains that the test was conducted by a third party, and though the test was in a CDL facility, the simulator was set for a four-door SUV, a vehicle that would have been familiar for many drivers. Furthermore, the station interviewed a phlebotomist, who stated that effects are different from person to person, and several volunteers passed the test even though under the influence.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/12/participant-claims-fox-news-denver-rigged-marijuana-drivi/

TheTexan
12-12-2012, 07:56 PM
It would be neat if they could add Drunk/High driving privileges to your license if you pass that test :)

kcchiefs6465
12-13-2012, 10:32 AM
as well as other volunteers pointing out that the simulator was designed for the CDL test, designed for large semi trucks. He also contends that another vehicle in the simulator acted erratically and crashed into him in the course of his test.
Lmao.

who stated that effects are different from person to person, and several volunteers passed the test even though under the influence.
I as well as anyone else I know never had any issues driving stoned.

bxm042- It would be neat if they could add Drunk/High driving privileges to your license if you pass that test
I wish that were the case. Instead of yellow plates they could give me green plates.

angelatc
12-13-2012, 10:39 AM
It would be neat if they could add Drunk/High driving privileges to your license if you pass that test :)

Have you ever seen that WKRP episode? It's freaking hysterical.

Can't embed the version that has the original music, but part 1 is here : http://www.kewego.fr/video/iLyROoafMIvs.html and part 2 is here. http://www.kewego.fr/video/iLyROoafMIv7.html

CaptUSA
12-13-2012, 10:50 AM
I never had an issues operating the vehicle, but I can recall a few times forgetting where I was going or why I was even driving in the first place.

sam1952
12-13-2012, 11:10 AM
I am reluctent to condone driving while "high" as being safe. It is an impairment of judgement and motor skills. I remember being a teenager and driving high I would stop at lights. Red, Green, yellow, it didn't matter, it was a light so I'd stop. Remember my friends telling me "hey man, it's green, go". Harmless fun later and a funny story today. The truth is I was "to high" and should not have been driving and... ummm, I forgot where i was going with this, some cracker jacks sound really groovy right now, sound?? Man, I like the Beatles.....

Kodaddy
12-13-2012, 11:11 AM
Drunk drivers kill people, stoned drivers just miss their exits...

Kotin
12-13-2012, 11:12 AM
I am reluctent to condone driving while "high" as being safe. It is an impairment of judgement and motor skills. I remember being a teenager and driving high I would stop at lights. Red, Green, yellow, it didn't matter, it was a light so I'd stop. Remember my friends telling me "hey man, it's green, go". Harmless fun later and a funny story today. The truth is I was "to high" and should not have been driving and... ummm, I forgot where i was going with this, some cracker jacks sound really groovy right now, sound?? Man, I like the Beatles.....'

to be honest it all depends on the individual's ability to handle it and also his/her tolerance with respect to potency.. when tolerance is high, psychoactive
"weird" highs are much less prevalent and will not cause problems for driving..

however if someone who never smokes smoked a huge bowl and drove, they may face problems considering how overwhelming that can be for some people..

Kodaddy
12-13-2012, 11:15 AM
That's funny, Sam... I, too, have stopped at green lights while high...I also parked at stop signs waiting for them to turn green... I don't advocate driving while impaired, but it seems stoned drivers err on the side of caution...

Dr.3D
12-13-2012, 11:19 AM
LOL, I was riding with a fellow who had just smoked one and he took the exit before the one he was supposed to take, and he drove that route every day. We then had to figure out how to go on the back roads the rest of the way.

thoughtomator
12-13-2012, 11:26 AM
however if someone who never smokes smoked a huge bowl and drove, they may face problems considering how overwhelming that can be for some people..

First timers often don't even feel it at all. I sure didn't. I was hungry though, there were no leftovers that Thanksgiving.

Kotin
12-13-2012, 11:28 AM
First timers often don't even feel it at all. I sure didn't. I was hungry though, there were no leftovers that Thanksgiving.

actually you are right.. like half or more of people feel nothing for the first time.. I am referring to the first time you do or after a long time of not smoking..

dannno
12-13-2012, 11:35 AM
I am reluctent to condone driving while "high" as being safe. It is an impairment of judgement and motor skills. I remember being a teenager and driving high I would stop at lights. Red, Green, yellow, it didn't matter, it was a light so I'd stop. Remember my friends telling me "hey man, it's green, go". Harmless fun later and a funny story today. The truth is I was "to high" and should not have been driving and... ummm, I forgot where i was going with this, some cracker jacks sound really groovy right now, sound?? Man, I like the Beatles.....

That's funny, Sam... I, too, have stopped at green lights while high...I also parked at stop signs waiting for them to turn green... I don't advocate driving while impaired, but it .

I've been driving high for 11 years and haven't done any of those things. However, I didn't drive high for about the first 6 months of my stoner career, never had the need or the desire.

seems stoned drivers err on the side of caution...

Exactly.

torchbearer
12-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Drunk drivers kill people, stoned drivers just miss their exits... and stop at green traffic lights.

dannno
12-13-2012, 11:41 AM

I knew a guy who would take 10 or more really big rips and never got high the first 10 times or so that he tried... but then one day he smoked a bunch and it just 'clicked' for him finally and now for the rest of his life he's had no problem getting high off of a hit or two. It's really quite a strange phenomenon.

torchbearer
12-13-2012, 11:54 AM
I knew a guy who would take 10 or more really big rips and never got high the first 10 times or so that he tried... but then one day he smoked a bunch and it just 'clicked' for him finally and now for the rest of his life he's had no problem getting high off of a hit or two. It's really quite a strange phenomenon. most likely has to do with half-life. for instance, Prozac take several weeks to build up in your system, but also takes several weeks to get out of it.
same with cannabis, it takes awhile to build up and takes awhile to leave the system. half-life.

dannno
12-13-2012, 11:56 AM
most likely has to do with half-life. for instance, Prozac take several weeks to build up in your system, but also takes several weeks to get out of it.
same with cannabis, it takes awhile to build up and takes awhile to leave the system. half-life.

Well it just trips me out cause I got high the first time. It took about 20 minutes before I felt anything instead of 10 seconds or less like it does now tho. A gravity bong finally put me over the top.

torchbearer
12-13-2012, 11:57 AM
The half-life of THC can vary markedly, but for most people it is one to three days (3.). That means that the THC level can be expected to decrease by about 1/2 every 24 to 72 hours during a period of abstinence. Typically, levels drop to below 100 ng/ml fairly quickly, with low levels (below 50 ng/ml) persisting for longer periods of time. Levels between 20 and 50 ng/ml have been reported in individuals with histories of chronic heavy use for as much as 2 or 3 months after use is discontinued.

http://www.sterlingreflabs.com/understandthc.html

youngbuck
12-13-2012, 12:02 PM
LOL!

the station interviewed a phlebotomist
All a phlebotomist is trained to do is draw your blood. I am certified in phlebotomy. They might as well have interviewed a car mechanic, cashier, plumber or carpenter!

torchbearer
12-13-2012, 12:04 PM
LOL!

All a phlebotomist is trained to do is draw your blood. I am certified in phlebotomy. They might as well have interviewed a car mechanic, cashier, plumber or carpenter! they count on their viewership to be that stupid. in fact, they have strived for many years to get their viewership to that level of stupidity.

youngbuck
12-13-2012, 12:11 PM
they count on their viewership to be that stupid. in fact, they have strived for many years to get their viewership to that level of stupidity.

It really is pretty damn sad. This country is swirlin' down the shi++er.:(

sam1952
12-13-2012, 12:35 PM

wow, I had totally forgotten about that effect. Not getting high the first time you smoke. I didn't and as I remember most others didn't also. I'm sitting here laughing because it brought back a memory from 45 years ago. My girlfriend at the time had never gotten high so she and some of our friends were sitting around smoking. She kept saying I don't feel anything while the rest of us got higher and higher. The higher we got the funnier she was puffing on that joint saying I don't feel anything. Side note: next time she tried she got what it was all about ;)

Lots of amusing antodotes about driving stoned. Wait for stop signs to turn green, wrong exits, getting lost. All reasons to point out impairment. That being said I think there is a fine line as to driving safely drinking or smoking and each individual has different tolerences at different times. Guess I can only say please be responsible and safe to everyone, myself included.

kcchiefs6465
12-13-2012, 01:00 PM
'

to be honest it all depends on the individual's ability to handle it and also his/her tolerance with respect to potency.. when tolerance is high, psychoactive
"weird" highs are much less prevalent and will not cause problems for driving..

I agree. I don't know how I would react to the edibles so I surely wouldn't drive under the influence of them until I was comfortable. I don't smoke cannabis any more (because of job) but when I did it actually improved a lot of what I did. I was more patient and thought things through before attempting. I will enjoy toking up again once able and cooking a nice gourmet meal. There's really nothing better.

coastie
12-13-2012, 01:19 PM
wow, I had totally forgotten about that effect. Not getting high the first time you smoke. I didn't and as I remember most others didn't also. I'm sitting here laughing because it brought back a memory from 45 years ago. My girlfriend at the time had never gotten high so she and some of our friends were sitting around smoking. She kept saying I don't feel anything while the rest of us got higher and higher. The higher we got the funnier she was puffing on that joint saying I don't feel anything. Side note: next time she tried she got what it was all about ;)

Lots of amusing antodotes about driving stoned. Wait for stop signs to turn green, wrong exits, getting lost. All reasons to point out impairment. That being said I think there is a fine line as to driving safely drinking or smoking and each individual has different tolerences at different times. Guess I can only say please be responsible and safe to everyone, myself included.

While I have heard of this happening, I've never met anyone that said this happened to them, that I believed. What were these first timers smoking, fucking hemp? I don't personally believe its even possible, sorry. I've initiated quite a few "virgins" in my time, and have never seen this happen to anyone, only heard "stories" of it. Of those stories, ran across someone who claimed he didn't get high at all from it. One bowl of Skunk #1 later, and he wouldn't stop laughing and eating for 4 hours straight. I think these people are full of shit, personally.

I was obliterated the first time I smoked, local Panam City area grown one hitter quitter type stuff.. After the first hit, I pretended to keep hitting it when no one was looking in the car, then just passed it. I noticed others in the car doing the same, lol.I had to lay down for 2 hours, then when I finally could get back up, I ate a 1 gal bucket of Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, then one of those "1/3 pound more" giant bags of Doritos-all in less than 5 minutes, no shit...felt like I never stopped eating long enough to breathe, lol. I was high until 11pm that night, smoked that joint at 2:30 pm.

mrsat_98
12-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Lmao.

I wish that were the case. Instead of yellow plates they could give me green plates.

and stop at green traffic lights.

Don't look now , but but here come the Green Police.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxTNZUhesZk

sam1952
12-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Honestly not sure of the potencey of pot in 1968 vs today I know first time I smoked I didn't feel anything. I do remember rolling joints all night and passing them. I can't do that today and honestly am a one or two hit guy these days if and when I do toke. I can get pretty wasted on that much nowdays.

Dr.3D
12-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Don't look now , but but here come the Green Police.

When they ask me, "Paper or plastic?" I always say "Plastic, the manufacture of paper is very polluting."

daviddee
12-13-2012, 08:27 PM

Danke
12-14-2012, 11:09 AM

Some teenagers raced dirt bikes while high... just saying...

jkr
12-14-2012, 11:36 AM
I have a buddy, who is now a successful corp lawyer, who used to stop at greens n such...SOBER so there goes that anecdotal argument...