PDA

View Full Version : Chrysler union workers reinstated after drinking and getting high on the job

Bohner
12-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Sorry if it's a repost, couldn't see anything on the front page.

As much as Chrysler would like to "move on," it seems that the story of employees who drink on the job just refuses to die. The latest? According to Fox 2 News in Detroit, the 13 workers who were fired in 2010 after its cameras caught them drinking alcohol and smoking what looks to be marijuana in a park during work hours have been reinstated following arbitration.

Chrysler released the following statement:

"Chrysler Group LLC acknowledges the reinstatement of a number of employees from the Jefferson North assembly plant who were discharged from the company in September 2010 after appearing in a local TV station's story about their off-duty conduct."

While the company does not agree with the ultimate decision of the arbitrator, we respect the grievance procedure process as outlined in the collective bargaining agreement and our relationship with the UAW. Unfortunately, the company was put in a very difficult position because of the way the story was investigated and ultimately revealed to the public. These employees from Jefferson North have been off work for more than two years. The time has come to put this situation behind us and resume our focus on building quality products that will firmly establish Chrysler Group's position in the marketplace."

Read more + VIDEO inside: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/10/chrysler-workers-fired-for-drinking-back-on-job-against-automake/

Petar
12-12-2012, 07:56 PM
The majority of my immediate family work/worked at Chryslers. Let's just say that its incredibly difficult to get fired as a UAW member. My immediate family isn't bad but I have heard some real horror stories over the years.

TheTexan
12-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Good for them

JK/SEA
12-12-2012, 08:04 PM
are they paying taxes?

HOLLYWOOD
12-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Guess what manufacturer I'm not buying a car from?

"Sorry, looks like the production line forgot to tighten the studs on your brake calibers"

Dr.3D
12-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Obviously they had someone covering for them or they would have been missed. When you are missed, they come after you and when you are found they ask a lot of questions. Either management was okay with it or they would have been written up that very day.

I remember going out to lunch with some engineer friends of mine and seeing various people while we were eating that we thought should have been back to work already. Our lunch was scheduled at a different time than the line workers was. We figured it was because management wasn't having a problem with them being missing at that time.

Bohner
12-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Obviously they had someone covering for them or they would have been missed. When you are missed, they come after you and when you are found they ask a lot of questions. Either management was okay with it or they would have been written up that very day.

They did it on their lunch break.

Dr.3D
12-12-2012, 08:47 PM
They did it on their lunch break.
What they do on their lunch break is their business.

AFPVet
12-12-2012, 09:04 PM
If someone makes a mistake on the line, it's the responsibility of QC to ensure that the mistake is caught and remedied. If QC is drunk, well, that would suck wouldn't it?

Dr.3D
12-12-2012, 09:09 PM
If someone makes a mistake on the line, it's the responsibility of QC to ensure that the mistake is caught and remedied. If QC is drunk, well, that would suck wouldn't it?
Where I worked, it was the responsibility of each worker to ensure what he did was right. By doing this, we ensured 100% quality control. If a worker had a problem with something he would report it to his supervisor and the problem would be corrected. Inspection was the job of every worker, thus we had 100% inspection. If somebody wasn't doing what they were responsible for, then they would get in trouble.

Yes we had some QC people, but they mainly inspected the end product and then that product was tested to make sure it worked properly before it left the plant.

Bohner
12-12-2012, 09:11 PM
What they do on their lunch break is their business.

Getting drunk and high during their lunch break and coming back to work drunk and high is only their business?

Are you drunk and high right now?

Dr.3D
12-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Getting drunk and high during their lunch break and coming back to work drunk and high is only their business?

Yes, it's their business! They are not paid during lunch. If they are drunk and can't do their job when they get back that's just the same as if they came to work drunk and couldn't do their job. They would be sent home without pay.

And no I'm not drunk or high right now... wish I was.

AFPVet
12-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Where I worked, it was the responsibility of each worker to ensure what he did was right. By doing this, we ensured 100% quality control. If a worker had a problem with something he would report it to his supervisor and the problem would be corrected. Inspection was the job of every worker, thus we had 100% inspection. If somebody wasn't doing what they were responsible for, then they would get in trouble.

Yes we had some QC people, but they mainly inspected the end product and then that product was tested to make sure it worked properly before it left the plant.

That's another way to do it :)

oyarde
12-13-2012, 01:07 PM
If I recall , that plant makes Jeeps ?

BAllen
12-13-2012, 01:12 PM
No wonder Chrysler sux.

Dr.3D
12-13-2012, 01:16 PM
No wonder Chrysler sux.
As if this doesn't happen in any other manufacturing facilities.

I've been to many and when it was time for lunch, I've heard the phrase, "It's time for cold ones and rolled ones."

juleswin
12-13-2012, 01:46 PM
If you can drink during your break and still able to do your job after the break, then more power to you. Right now I can barely stand up straight after a few bottles of lite American beer. Not really, but I get drunk a lot faster than when I was say 18

dannno
12-13-2012, 01:49 PM
off-duty conduct.

?!?!?

If this is correct, why do we care?

dannno
12-13-2012, 01:53 PM

Meh, on the one hand I see no problem with getting high or drinking a little on your lunch break. I smoke weed on my lunch break every day. My employer keeps me around because I'm a valuable employee, regardless of anything else.

Employers, in my opinion, should not fire workers for anything other than on-the-job performance issues.

On the other hand, I think an employer should be able to fire an employee for buying Starbucks Coffee instead of Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, if that's what they want to do. It's a retarded decision because there are plenty of people who prefer Starbucks who are probably great employees, just like there are people who smoke weed and drink on their lunch breaks and are great employees. Having a happy employee can be highly beneficial.

My point is, if you are an employer and you are hiring or firing employees based on anything other than performance, such as your own opinion about the effects of certain substances, then you are making bad decisions as an employer which will hurt your business.

Brian4Liberty
12-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Over the course of history, most executive work has been done under the influence of alcohol. Just a fact.

Probably less of it today than ever before, but martini lunches still happen quite often.

Brian4Liberty
12-13-2012, 02:11 PM
True story from quite a few years ago, at a well-known major corporation which will remain nameless.

An assembly line-level worker was being recognized with an award of some kind. She was brought to the Executive Board room to be given the award. Someone pushed a button, and a wall opened up revealing a fully stocked bar. An executive started pouring a drink and asked her, "what would you like, we have anything you want". She replied that she couldn't drink because she had to go back to work. Embarrassed, the executive immediately shut the bar and said "of course, what was I thinking."

Dr.3D
12-13-2012, 02:15 PM
True story from quite a few years ago, at a well-known major corporation which will remain nameless.

An assembly line-level worker was being recognized with an award of some kind. She was brought to the Executive Board room to be given the award. Someone pushed a button, and a wall opened up revealing a fully stocked bar. An executive started pouring a drink and asked her, "what would you like, we have anything you want". She replied that she couldn't drink because she had to go back to work. Embarrassed, the executive immediately shut the bar and said "of course, what was I thinking."
I've been to a number of executive "lunches" often with engineers who were visiting our area and we always had "drinks." It was usually my boss who would foot the bill.

Dr.3D
12-13-2012, 02:27 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FLUWDWr_WT8/TNxWuPe8z9I/AAAAAAAABYQ/V7hSjmxhMgA/s1600/BigBeerGlass.jpg

Brian4Liberty
12-13-2012, 02:38 PM
/forum hiccup.

Brian4Liberty
12-13-2012, 02:38 PM
I've been to a number of executive "lunches" often with engineers who were visiting our area and we always had "drinks." It was usually my boss who would foot the bill.

At the higher levels, you are viewed with suspicion if you don't have a drink. Opposite at the lowest level. Double standard, although working with any kind of machinery or dangerous situations makes drinking during work a very bad idea.

At first thought, it seems like a bad idea all around, but alcohol is a lubricant, for business as well as social gatherings. For many salespeople, it's almost a job requirement. Discretion is also a requirement. You don't order a martini with your Mormon clients or customers.