PDA

View Full Version : Conflict Vs. Functionalist Society

RandRevolution
12-12-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm doing an essay on this but I'm not sure which one is the more libertarian philosophy. These are the questions and I don't quite understand what they mean. I am very very pro-capitalism and believe that self interested people looking out for themselves end up creating inventions and innovations that benefit everyone in society. Which one do we support?

Are the social institutions used in a cooperative manner towards cooperative action?

Are the social institutions used in a manner that favours certain groups who compete against the other groups in society to get their way? CONFLICT

Do social institutions perform the intended or stated purposes?

Are the intended or stated purposes of social institutions subverted by ulterior motives?

Are social institutions organized to meet the general needs of society and it's citizens?

Are social institutions organized to meet the needs of a select group(s) in society.

heavenlyboy34
12-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Can you provide a clear definition of "social institution", at least as it applies to your essay? The various social sciences tend to disagree on this.

RandRevolution
12-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Yeah, that's the part that confuses me, I really have no idea if they mean government or private social institutions.

heavenlyboy34
12-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Yeah, that's the part that confuses me, I really have no idea if they mean government or private social institutions.
You should get a solid definition from your prof first. If you don't, you'll wind up wasting a lot of time and effort. Some social sciences consider religious organizations and families "institutions".

Tpoints
12-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Conflict theory is a Marxist lie.

RandRevolution
12-12-2012, 05:00 PM
The thing is though is that conflict theory seemed to be about competition from what other people were saying and I know we believe competition is the driving force behind all innovation. Does the functionalist society contain just as much competition?