PDA

View Full Version : Gallup: 64 to 34 - Feds should NOT enforce fed pot laws in WA and CO

Anti Federalist
12-10-2012, 10:58 PM
National poll: Feds should respect Washington pot initiative

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepolitics/2012/12/10/national-poll-feds-should-respect-washington-pot-initiative/

Sixty-four percent of those surveyed in a national Gallup Poll do not want the federal government enforcing federal anti-marijuana laws in the states — Washington and Colorado — that have recently voted to legalize possession, growing and sale of small amounts of cannabis.

Reacting to November’s votes in the Evergreen State and the Centennial State, Gallup posed the following question:

“As you may know, marijuana use is legal in some states. Do you think the federal government should take steps to enforce federal anti-marijuana laws in those states, or not?”

The result: 34 percent said yes, 64 percent answered no. The poll was taken between Nov. 26 and 29. Overall, in the poll, Americans are almost evenly divided on the question of whether marijuana should be legal: 48 percent (and 60 percent of those under 30) said yes, 50 percent answered no.

The possession, growth and sale of marijuana violates the federal Controlled Substances Act. Marijuana is treated as a dangerous, Class I drug, even though as many as 100 million Americans — including President Obama — have used the drug.

Such diverse personalities as Obama and the late conservative columnist William F. Buckley Jr. have written about when they used cannabis. Former Vice President Al Gore ‘fessed up to using marijuana in the 1970s when he was a writer for the Nashville Tennessean.

Supporters for removing criminal penalties have included conservative TV evangelist Pat Robertson, ex-Secretary of State George Schultz, and libertarian-minded U.S. Rep. Ron Paul. In Washington’s recent Initiative 502 campaign, pro-legalization spokespersons included ex-U.S. Attorneys John McKay and Kate Pflaumer, former Seattle FBI agent-in-charge Charles Mandigo, Seattle City Attorney Pete Holmes, ex-Seattle Police Chief Norman Stamper, and travel guidebook author Rick Steves.

tangent4ronpaul
12-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Somebody should start a petition on Whitehouse.gov so O-Bomb-Us has to give it consideration and an answer... :rolleyes:

In the meantime, lets all take a lesson from Hunter S. Thompson and stick to legal drugs. EVERYONE HUFF ETHER! lol! :D

-t

aloneinthewilderness
12-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Now if only the Federal Government gave a single fuck about what the citizens wanted, this poll might have some actual meaning.

coastie
12-11-2012, 12:03 AM
Somebody should start a petition on Whitehouse.gov so O-Bomb-Us has to give it consideration and an answer... :rolleyes:

In the meantime, lets all take a lesson from Hunter S. Thompson and stick to legal drugs. EVERYONE HUFF ETHER! lol! :D

-t

This...when are the next states supposed to vote on this? This "domino effect" isn't gonna happen soon enough, I fear

tangent4ronpaul
12-11-2012, 12:12 AM
This...when are the next states supposed to vote on this? This "domino effect" isn't gonna happen soon enough, I fear

Considering the joke of the "fiscal cliff", I'm surprised no one in Congress is suggesting ending the WoD, for pot at least, so the feds could get a cut of the tax money. I suppose they would have to kickstart some false flag attacks all over Latin America so that bogus war could be segued into the WoT bogus war. Granted, it would be ugly. Changing an agencies name and mission is a REALLY BIG DEAL! All that letterhead to replace, and so on... :rolleyes:

-t

NOVALibertarian
12-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Ya know, with a federal government that actually served and/or cared about the people that elected them, this poll might hold some weight.

With this government though...nah, they don't care.

mport1
12-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Wow, who are those 34%? What's bunch of scumbags.

BenIsForRon
12-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Wow, who are those 34%? What's bunch of scumbags.

That's a lot of people. Kinda scary that so many people in this country have such little regard for the rights of their neighbors.

PaulConventionWV
12-11-2012, 09:31 AM

-t

Ether is a gateway drug. Stay away from that stuff. It's dangerous.

PaulConventionWV
12-11-2012, 09:36 AM
This study tells us that 14% recognize and respect state sovereignty.

At least when it comes to marijuana.

kcchiefs6465
12-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Now if only the Federal Government gave a single fuck about what the citizens wanted, this poll might have some actual meaning.
This. Obama doesn't give a damn about campaign pledges and what the citizens want. He'll let the DEA run wild and the people (except those from their respective states) won't say a damn thing about it.

coastie
12-11-2012, 12:11 PM
This. Obama doesn't give a damn about campaign pledges and what the citizens want. He'll let the DEA run wild and the people (except those from their respective states) won't say a damn thing about it.

The people in those states won't do a damn thing about it, either. They'll just watch out their windows as their neighbors are raided by shock troops, hoping they're not next.

It's a bad day, I'm quite the negative Nancy.

sailingaway
12-11-2012, 12:15 PM
The people in those states won't do a damn thing about it, either. They'll just watch out their windows as their neighbors are raided by shock troops, hoping they're not next.

It's a bad day, I'm quite the negative Nancy.

CA is getting pissed. This isn't my top issue, but I signed petitions to overturn the city council limiting of dispensaries, (which was automatic once they got the signatures) and it took less than a week. Then they tried to get on the ballot a referendum to limit sales 'near schools'. When I refused to sign that the woman said "this doesn't stop it, just near our children's schools" (which is nonsense since I've never been to a school that didn't have a liquor store on the corner regularly used for candy runs, and schools are ubiquitous.) She had obviously been getting my response, all day.

I think people have gone from not caring much about this to getting teed off that the federal govt is interfering. And I'm talking about people who DON'T smoke.

surf
12-11-2012, 12:50 PM
are you calling us wimps?

the resounding atmosphere in my state has been one of [near] universal acceptance and relief. my bet is that if the poll above were performed in this state the "gtfo feds" vote % would be higher. cops are trying to figure out if they can "legally" spark up.

when it comes to gov't i'm a very angry libertarian that expects the worst. but in this instance, i expect better.

it's been nearly a week of legally stoned folks marrying their gay partners.... and no chaos, yet. we'll see if the mayans and mainstream republicans are right in a few weeks.