PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Republican aims for seat in U.S. House

0zzy
11-21-2007, 01:27 AM
RIFLE — Steven McDuffie hopes he can reach voters in the 3rd Congressional District who agree that the federal government is “like a giant ATM machine or a tick leeching off us,” as he runs a long shot campaign against U.S. Rep. John Salazar.

A Pueblo West resident and electrical technician now working for the energy industry, McDuffie, 41, is running as a Libertarian, but describes himself as a “Ron Paul Republican,” after the Texas congressman and GOP presidential candidate. So far, no Republican candidates have surfaced to challenge Salazar, a Democrat, next year.

McDuffie told the Daily Sentinel at a campaign stop in Rifle on Tuesday night that one of his first acts as a Congressman would be to sponsor a Fiscal Responsibility Act bill.

“It says if Congress puts this country into a deficit spending situation, they would see their pay cut,” he said. “Our founders had it right when they talked about government. Now, it’s a monster and there’s no incentive to get it under control.”

McDuffie said Salazar votes for bills without reading them, sometimes on the advice of lobbyists, party leaders or his staff. Some in Congress have refused to do so, he said.

McDuffie said he would also sponsor the Read The Bills Act, proposed by an online group he supports called DownsizeDC.org.

“The idea is to slow Congress down,” he said.

McDuffie said the cost to comply with all the new laws and regulations Congress has passed was well over $1 trillion in 2004.

“I call that an insidious form of extra taxation because it benefits no one,” he said.

McDuffie said the online group had its members send Salazar 190 emails to encourage his support, “but we haven’t heard a peep” in response.

McDuffie describes himself as liberal on social issues, such as supporting gay marriage, but conservative on fiscal matters.

On other matters, McDuffie said the U.S. should disengage militarily around the world, but should not totally isolate itself, and he thinks the U.S. should have open diplomatic relationships with countries such as Cuba and Iran.
http://www.gjsentinel.com/news/content/news/stories/2007/11/20/112107_3a_McDuffie.html

I'd like to see this guy do a speech and decide if I should donate some money!:P But he's 3rd party :[.

http://www.mcduffieforcongress.com/
http://www.myspace.com/mcduffieforcongress

Richandler
11-21-2007, 01:46 AM
Go Ron Paul Republicans. Take the House Down with might!

Lord Xar
11-21-2007, 01:53 AM
is that the SALAZAR the illegal immigrant lover??? If so, I will do what I can in california to help McDuffie to win....

FrankRep
11-21-2007, 01:56 AM
I hope this is a trend.

Spirit of '76
11-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Good stuff.

There was a young congressman accompanying the Ron Paul campaign at the Philly Rally. My dad spoke with him for a while, but couldn't remember his name.

Anyone know who he is?

OReich
11-21-2007, 10:00 AM
Dean Santoro is running for a US House seat in South Florida, also running as a "Ron Paul Republican." He's also the head of the Miami Meetup Group.

Talldude1412
11-21-2007, 10:03 AM
It would be fantastic to see a resurgence of libertarian republicanism come out of this campaign (thats basically up to all us RP lovers to see happen)

curtisag
11-21-2007, 10:05 AM
We can retake this party, one nomination at a time in the House. This is amazing :).

Ethek
11-21-2007, 10:08 AM
when Ron is president he could use all the help he can get in Congress

traviskicks
11-21-2007, 10:09 AM
We can retake this party, one nomination at a time in the House. This is amazing :).

We had about 1/3rd of the attendence at the Clark County Republican party meeting that was from our meetup group last night. We narrowly lost an election of one of our members as party treasures by 65-53 or something. We really can take over the party, and we really can take back our country!

me3
11-21-2007, 10:09 AM
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, everyone interested in politics beyond this campaign, should be signing up at ronpaul2008.com as a volunteer and watching the grassroots training videos to get an understanding of how Dr. Paul has been so successful in his district as a Congressman.

Of course, we need to know this stuff now, I'm really surprised so many people are not interested in learning these techniques.

Johncjackson
11-21-2007, 01:02 PM
The problem is he is running as a Libertarian, not a Republican. That will cost him many votes. He should have just run as a Republican, especially if no one else is. Or even Independent would be better.

I am a Libertarian, but I know the label prevents anyone from doing well in elections.

TheIndependent
11-21-2007, 01:06 PM
There needs to be a grassroots sub-organization dedicated to helping these new people get elected in '08. Seriously, could you imagine if we had FIVE or even a DOZEN RP Republicans in Congress?

The only thing is, they need to get into the Republican Party--not the LP--in order to have the 'guaranteed X%' of votes. Then they start from a higher level than running in the LP, and help contribute to turning the GOP back to its roots, to boot.