PDA

View Full Version : Unemployed British single mother who is spending $3200 on Christmas

itshappening
12-10-2012, 06:34 PM
Welcome to the entitlement State!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/12/10/article-0-167277B3000005DC-539_634x451.jpg

Unemployed single mother on benefits who spends £2,000 ($3200) on Christmas with 20 presents for each of her children

While many families are worrying about how to afford Christmas this year, one jobless single mother has revealed she receives so much in benefits she has £2,000 ($3200) to spend on designer gifts, clothes and partying.

Mother-of-two Leanna Broderick plans to buy 20 presents for each of her children, including Burberry and Ralph Lauren outfits, iPads and gold jewellery.

The 20-year-old, who has never worked, claims nearly £15,500 ($25,000) a year in state handouts.

She claims she is better off on benefits and would not get a job unless she could continue her luxury lifestyle, which includes designer outfits, holidays abroad, clubbing, lunches out and expensive gifts for her daughters Zelekah, two, and Zakirah, one.

‘Last year, I saved £2,500 and my kids had 50 presents each, including Burberry and Ralph Lauren clothes and dolls, DVDs and CDs.

‘This year, I’ve saved £2,000 and they’ll get 20 presents each, including iPads and a new Disney-themed bedroom to share, with designer wall art and bed linen,’ she said.

She is also buying gold earrings for Zelekah, who has pierced ears, and keeping £300 for the sales and £150 for a New Year’s Eve outing.

Miss Broderick, who left school at 16 with no GCSEs (diploma), said: ‘I don’t care if people get annoyed. I don’t take advantage, I just choose to save – it’s smart.’

She said there was ‘no point’ earning less in a minimum wage job and having to pay for childcare on top.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2246104/Unemployed-single-mother-benefits-spends-2-000-Christmas-20-presents-children.html#ixzz2EhNwAMyN

torchbearer
12-10-2012, 06:37 PM
I don't have a Christmas budget and I work 40+ a week.
wtf.

EBounding
12-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Welcome to the entitlement State!
She said there was ‘no point’ earning less in a minimum wage job and having to pay for childcare on top.

They don't have socialized childcare there???

itshappening
12-10-2012, 06:41 PM
They don't have socialized childcare there???

If she was working she would have to pay for a nanny or a day nursery. I dont think the state covers that.

torchbearer
12-10-2012, 06:44 PM
If she was working she would have to pay for a nanny or a day nursery. I dont think the state covers that.

just start a "headstart" school program like they did in my state. it is basically tax payer paid daycare for single mom's with little income. they even pick up the kids on a short bus.
none of our private day cares have bus service.

cajuncocoa
12-10-2012, 06:47 PM
wtf indeed

Anti Federalist
12-10-2012, 06:48 PM
nvm...just...nvm

rprprs
12-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Ya'd think she'd spend a little of that to get a decent Christmas tree. :p

Anti Federalist
12-10-2012, 06:49 PM
She claims she is better off on benefits and would not get a job unless she could continue her luxury lifestyle, which includes designer outfits, holidays abroad, clubbing, lunches out and expensive gifts for her daughters Zelekah, two, and Zakirah, one.

specsaregood
12-10-2012, 06:58 PM

The subheadline in an article in "Parents" magazine this month says, "Families should not have to bear the cost of daycare alone."

cheers.

itshappening
12-10-2012, 06:58 PM
don't forget all the hidden costs in delivering her babies and then having to send them to school which is all paid for too.

She will also get free prescriptions, dental care and whatever else.

AGRP
12-10-2012, 07:03 PM
How did this story come to be? Did they fish for someone who looked like her to perpetuate a stereotype? Its not a problem for the uk is it? Dont most people there shun individuality and encourage the health of state run programs?

compromise
12-10-2012, 07:08 PM
The size of the European welfare state is shocking, but America is well on it's way to the same fate.

What this woman and the politicians defending her are doing is sickening - hard-working middle class Brits are having to cut back after being robbed of their wealth, while this absolute loser lives in luxury.

Vanilluxe
12-10-2012, 07:11 PM
The size of the European welfare state is shocking, but America is well on it's way to the same fate.

What this woman and the politicians defending her are doing is sickening - hard-working middle class Brits are having to cut back after being robbed of their wealth, while this absolute loser lives in luxury.

The Brits don't mind, they get to got to the doctor for free. The government hires the doctors and this is much more socialized than what the Democrats enacted, but we don't want to go in that direction.

AGRP
12-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Theres nothing sick about it. Hard working brits love it. They couldnt be prouder of their welfare state.

Kodaddy
12-10-2012, 07:12 PM
She just chooses to save...it's smart!

kathy88
And there's more than likely a man living there whose income is conveniently not reported.

itshappening
A lot of single mothers are doing this in the UK.

The system pays them more to sit at home because if they get a job they lose the benefits and the minimum wage job would unlikely pay more than $25k after tax.

So there is no incentive to do anything else.

itshappening
12-10-2012, 07:13 PM
And there's more than likely a man living there whose income is conveniently not reported.

No, she's a single mother. The man isn't around.

Pisces
12-10-2012, 07:15 PM

There has to be. The article says she gets the equivalent of $25,000 a year with all her benefits. Even if that is all tax-free, there's no way that that is enough to live in luxury. I doubt that it is less expensive to live in the UK than it is here. (Though I could be wrong on that.)

juleswin
12-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Wow, but my question is this. Why would this woman cooperate with the writers of the article? doesn't she know attention like this could be detrimental to her income? If I was her, i would have been on complaining how the $25k doesn't even cover enough for food. My gawd, i would make a very efficient welfare queen :)

itshappening
12-10-2012, 07:18 PM
what does she need to spend her money on?

The rent is all paid and she receives the handouts. She only needs to buy food and pay the bills (electric, phone), she must be able to "save" the money that way.

kathy88
12-10-2012, 07:18 PM
No, she's a single mother. The man isn't around.Single mother just means unmarried. Not nun.

Pisces
12-10-2012, 07:19 PM
what does she need to spend her money on?

The rent is all paid and she receives the handouts. She only needs to buy food and pay the bills (electric, phone), she must be able to "save" the money that way.

I thought the $25,000 was the value in dollars of all the benefits including rent, food, etc. , not just the cash she gets. I didn't read it all that closely though.

itshappening
12-10-2012, 07:21 PM
I thought the $25,000 was the value in dollars of all the benefits including rent, food, etc. , not just the cash she gets. I didn't read it all that closely though.

Yes I do believe it includes the rent but after paying her bills she's probably able to save a few hundred a month hence her xmas "spree".

A lot of people in her position (not saying her) will supplement their benefits by selling drugs too. All tax-free and in cash.

Cutlerzzz
12-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Theres nothing sick about it. Hard working brits love it. They couldnt be prouder of their welfare state.

If they are all so proud of it, then why isn't it voluntary?

It absolutely is sick to give this girl that kind of money.

itshappening
12-10-2012, 07:24 PM
The UK is running a deficit of $200bn/year and has a $1.7 trillion debt.

This is partly why. Welfare budget is one of the largest items.

TCE
12-10-2012, 07:50 PM
I thought this topic was going to be a fun one, but I should have known by the title. I still want to post this picture showing how Texans WR Andre Johnson bought $19,000 worth of presents for kids:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151171013707057&set=a.10150111698157057.278710.25499962056&type=1&theater

dannno
12-10-2012, 08:07 PM
No, she's a single mother. The man isn't around.

You believe everything you read in the paper?

bolil
12-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Obviously the man was around to make "the beast with two backs" you know, the one that most children know as the stork.

donnay
12-10-2012, 08:19 PM
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have" ~ Gerald R. Ford

These people the system is feeding will go feral when the system stops feeding them!

Anti Federalist
12-10-2012, 08:42 PM

I tend to agree.

Just like Americunts are in love with, and could not be more proud of, their warfare state.

cbrons
12-10-2012, 08:53 PM
OF course, this happens in the US too. If you are on welfare here, you get on avg I think over 53k/year depending upon how many programs you are on. It would take a very high salary offer to give that up, plus having a job costs money (travel, etc.).