PDA

View Full Version : Marijuana officially legal in Colorado as of today

COpatriot
12-10-2012, 02:57 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22162414/hickenlooper-signs-proclamation-pot-legalization-official-colorado

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M

Matt Collins
12-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Actually it's still illegal according to federal law. But they don't have the resources to enforce it, and my guess is that most state LEOs aren't going to enforce it on behalf of the feds.

Kotin
12-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Funny thing is the Feds are fucked if they wanted to do anything now.. Every day that it is in effect and people see how good it works and it works it's way into the infrastructure of Colorado, it is that much harder for the Feds to do shit let alone justify doing anything :)

Matt Collins
12-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Funny thing is the Feds are fucked if they wanted to do anything now.. Every day that it is in effect and people see how good it works and it works it's way into the infrastructure of Colorado, it is that much harder for the Feds to do shit let alone justify doing anything :)Exactly. And other states will soon follow. I predict we'll be seeing the full-on collapse of marijuana prohibition within 10-20 years.

AFPVet
12-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Exactly. And other states will soon follow. I predict we'll be seeing the full-on collapse of marijuana prohibition within 10-20 years.

Perhaps sooner :) My state is now considering following in the footsteps. Let the dominoes fall :)

Confederate
12-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Actually it's still illegal according to federal law. But they don't have the resources to enforce it, and my guess is that most state LEOs aren't going to enforce it on behalf of the feds.

Local LEO don't have the authority to enforce federal laws. City, county and state officers are not authorized by federal law to enforce federal laws.

tod evans
12-10-2012, 03:55 PM
I was hoping 5 years back in the '70's

Good for Colorado!

I'd really like to see them run the feds off if they even try to prosecute...

Acala
12-10-2012, 03:57 PM

The federal mj prohibition is void on its face because it exceeds Constitutional authority. Of course THEY don't think so.

tod evans
12-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Local LEO don't have the authority to enforce federal laws. City, county and state officers are not authorized by federal law to enforce federal laws.

But............The feds do have authority to step in and take any ol' case they like from local prosecutors and I'm betting that many of those suck-asses will gladly turn over weed cases....

truthspeaker
12-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Exactly. And other states will soon follow. I predict we'll be seeing the full-on collapse of marijuana prohibition within 10-20 years.

Somehow, I doubt that is going to happen in Texas anytime soon. Maybe if Austin was allowed to vote on it alone...

And forget about the Bible Belt...

jay_dub
12-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Perhaps sooner :) My state is now considering following in the footsteps. Let the dominoes fall :)

I think that is what will happen. A friend and I were discussing this back in the 90's, looking at it in relation to the debt clock.

Now our debt is in full bloom and states will be scrambling for revenue wherever they can get it as Federal funds start to dry up. The only reason some states are making it today is due to the stimulus funds they got.

My guess is that we'll see most all states legalize pot for the tax revenue once they realize how much can be generated.

It will be like beer, liquor and tobacco. Sure, anyone can make their own booze or grow their own tobacco, but most don't. Pot will be the same way and there are lots of $$$$ to be made from it. Gov't will be sure to get its share.

coastie
12-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Somehow, I doubt that is going to happen in Texas anytime soon. Maybe if Austin was allowed to vote on it alone...

And forget about the Bible Belt...

Florida will be last, bank on that. Anything over 20 grams = Felony here. Harshest laws in the country on the green.

Matt Collins
12-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Local LEO don't have the authority to enforce federal laws. City, county and state officers are not authorized by federal law to enforce federal laws.It's my understanding that they can enforce federal laws, but are not bound to?

AFPVet
12-10-2012, 06:30 PM
It's my understanding that they can enforce federal laws, but are not bound to?

Well, as Indiana deputy sheriffs, we could only enforce state law and county ordinances. That said, most states have laws that mirror federal laws, so in essence, we could enforce federal law because we had mirror laws. That, and we could also join federal task forces under the direction of the federal agency initiating the task force.

I heard that LEOs from Washington and Colorado said their agencies would not be assisting federal agents with regard to cannabis.

Rudeman
12-10-2012, 07:32 PM
I think that is what will happen. A friend and I were discussing this back in the 90's, looking at it in relation to the debt clock.

Now our debt is in full bloom and states will be scrambling for revenue wherever they can get it as Federal funds start to dry up. The only reason some states are making it today is due to the stimulus funds they got.

My guess is that we'll see most all states legalize pot for the tax revenue once they realize how much can be generated.

It will be like beer, liquor and tobacco. Sure, anyone can make their own booze or grow their own tobacco, but most don't. Pot will be the same way and there are lots of $$$$ to be made from it. Gov't will be sure to get its share.

You're right that $$$ talks and once the other states see how much Colorado and Washington are bringing in you can bet they'll follow. Certain states will probably still hold out for a while though.

FrankRep
12-10-2012, 08:29 PM

Lets not forget the Federal Government doesn't have the authority to regulate drugs according to the U.S. Constitution.

Kotin
12-10-2012, 08:39 PM
I think it is a bit neglectful for anyone to suggest the Federal government overrides the state's authority when the Federal Government was a creation of the States to begin with.. it derives its authority from them so it cannot supersede them.

dannno
12-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Wow, Joe Rogan just said on his podcast that he met up with Alex Jones recently for an interview and he "may or may not" have toked up with him :D

pochy1776
12-10-2012, 10:17 PM
CAN WE ALL LEGALIZE COCAINE NOW!

NewRightLibertarian
12-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Wow, Joe Rogan just said on his podcast that he met up with Alex Jones recently for an interview and he "may or may not" have toked up with him :D

Haha, fantastic.

FrankRep
12-10-2012, 10:44 PM
CAN WE ALL LEGALIZE COCAINE NOW!
Lets see if people can handle the responsibility of marijuana first.

tangent4ronpaul
12-11-2012, 12:04 AM

Yep, and the most telling line in the whole article is:

and Barbara Brohl, the executive director of the Colorado Department of Revenue.

Any ideas on the repercussions of this? Right now, the cartels make a lot of money smuggling in pot, and it's expensive because of the risk. Will they undercut the legal pot in price? Will they switch to bringing in more harder drugs or something else?

Does anyone know how the underground drug market reacted to medical mj dispensaries in CA and other places?

-t

devil21
12-11-2012, 07:24 AM

This isn't entirely true. Local and state LEO's are often deputized as US Marshals and other federal agents for the purpose of acting as federal law enforcement to enforce federal law, even though the LEOs aren't actually federal agents. DEA does this often.

Here's an example of this practice from the immigration realm:
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-02-17/immigration-enforcement-program/53134284/1

tod evans
12-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Move away from boots on the street and look to the real problem........Prosecutors...........These jokers trade cases like baseball cards and no-one seems to notice.....

The prosecutor is the one guy who can make or break this legislation and every one of them must have his feet held to the fire.

This isn't entirely true. Local and state LEO's are often deputized as US Marshals and other federal agents for the purpose of acting as federal law enforcement to enforce federal law, even though the LEOs aren't actually federal agents. DEA does this often.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-02-17/immigration-enforcement-program/53134284/1

Confederate
12-11-2012, 07:34 AM

Yes, that's true. But unless they are deputized as federal agents they have no authority to enforce federal law.

devil21
12-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Yes, that's true. But unless they are deputized as federal agents they have no authority to enforce federal law.

Yeah, just wanted to add that distinction, considering this practice has been going on in Cali and other mmj states for a while. I'd like to see state legislatures pass laws barring local law enforcement from assisting federal agencies in any form in enforcing federal laws that conflict with state laws. Feds don't get to deputize local LEOs or use them to assist in raids, don't get to book arrestees into local jails pending transfer, don't get to use vehicles, offices, even shooting ranges, or anything else funded by the state taxpayers. IOW, if the feds want to come into a state and enforce federal drug law then they do it entirely on their own.

Confederate
12-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Yeah, just wanted to add that distinction, considering this practice has been going on in Cali and other mmj states for a while. I'd like to see state legislatures pass laws barring local law enforcement from assisting federal agencies in any form in enforcing federal laws that conflict with state laws. Feds don't get to deputize local LEOs or use them to assist in raids, don't get to book arrestees into local jails pending transfer, don't get to use vehicles, offices, even shooting ranges, or anything else funded by the state taxpayers. IOW, if the feds want to come into a state and enforce federal drug law then they do it entirely on their own.

That's similar to the NDAA nullification laws that have passed in Virginia and Michigan, which bar all state agencies and employees from helping the federal government execute the indefinite detention provision. Would have been nice to add that to Amendment 64...Hopefully next state that passes a marijuana legalization amendment has that provision in their amendment. I'm sure California will be the next state to vote on this (again), so it might be smart to contact whoever is leading that effort.

pcosmar
12-11-2012, 08:20 AM
Lets not forget the Federal Government doesn't have the authority to regulate drugs according to the U.S. Constitution.

How has that been working out?

I agree,, but when has lack of authority stopped them lately?

I think it is great that it is finally getting on Ballots. I have always thought it would be legalized if people could vote.