PDA

View Full Version : Hostess used wages that were to help fund employee pensions for the company's operations

aGameOfThrones
12-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Hostess Brands Inc. said it used wages that were supposed to help fund employee pensions for the company's operations as it sank toward bankruptcy.

It isn't clear how many of the Irving, Texas, company's workers were affected by the move or how much money never wound up in their pension plans as promised.

After the company said in August 2011 that it would stop making pension contributions, the foregone wages weren't put toward the pension. Nor were they restored.

The maker of Twinkies, Ho-Hos and Wonder Bread filed for bankruptcy protection in January and shut down last month following a strike by one of the unions representing Hostess workers. A judge is overseeing the sale of company assets.
Gregory Rayburn, Hostess's chief executive officer, said in an interview it is "terrible" that employee wages earmarked for the pension were steered elsewhere by the company.

"I think it's like a lot of things in this case," he added. "It's not a good situation to have."

Mr. Rayburn became chief executive in March and learned about the issue shortly before the company shut down, he said. "Whatever the circumstances were, whatever those decisions were, I wasn't there," he said.

A spokeswoman for Hostess's previous top executive, Brian Driscoll, declined to comment.

Hostess hasn't previously acknowledged that the foregone wages went toward its operations.

The maneuver probably doesn't violate federal law because the money Hostess failed to put into the pension didn't come directly from employees, experts said.

"It's what lawyers call betrayal without remedy," said James P. Baker, a partner at Baker & McKenzie LLP who specializes in employee benefits and isn't involved in the Hostess case. "It's sad, but that stuff does happen, unfortunately."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/hostess-maneuver-deprived-pension-051400720.html

LibertyEagle
12-10-2012, 01:56 PM
I hope the union is happy with themselves.

paulbot24
12-10-2012, 02:13 PM
I'll have to look up the meaning of this word "pension." Sounds foreign to me......or maybe just ancient.....

torchbearer
12-10-2012, 02:17 PM
I'll have to look up the meaning of this word "pension." Sounds foreign to me......or maybe just ancient.....
pension? what's that?

amy31416
12-10-2012, 02:19 PM
pension? what's that?

Somethin' you ain't nevah gonna git unless you work for the guvmint.

*snap!*

specsaregood
12-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Somethin' you ain't nevah gonna git unless you work for the guvmint.
*snap!*

I got news for them, they aint gonna get it either.

sailingaway
12-10-2012, 03:11 PM
sounds like our government, starting with Clinton.

Tpoints
12-10-2012, 03:27 PM
I hope the union is happy with themselves.

its not like management was perfect either.

weren't they asking for additional millions for bonuses as somehow necessary for liquidation? when they could've simply sold their whole company to a willing liquidator?

awake
12-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Pension sounds much like a bond: we take your money now and promise to pay you back later in some better way. Pensions and the promise of being taken care of in retirement is the governments best seller. Otherwise people would just save themselves instead of the the thieves getting it never to properly pay it back, if ever..

Tpoints
12-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Pension sounds much like a bond: we take your money now and promise to pay you back later in some better way. Pensions and the promise of being taken care of in retirement is the governments best seller. Otherwise people would just save themselves instead of the the thieves getting it never to properly pay it back, if ever..

yes, basically. Because we can't trust you to save and spend it yourself, or we won't let you suffer later if you fail to save.

Indy Vidual
12-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Do I still get a Twinkie on my way out the door?

angelatc
12-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Oh well. Sucks to depend on other people to handle your money.

amy31416
12-10-2012, 06:03 PM
I got news for them, they aint gonna get it either.

Well, yeah...but they'll be the last to go.

kathy88
12-10-2012, 06:18 PM
I kinda feel sorry for the guy giving the interview that he walked into that.

Keith and stuff
12-10-2012, 06:43 PM
This is yet another argument against pensions. Next time I learn of a pension reform debate in my state, I'll send this info to the lawmakers. Thanks.

JK/SEA
12-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Oh well. Sucks to depend on other people to handle your money.

do you make your own food...?
did you make and build everything you need and use, like a computer?...sucks to have to depend on other people to make things for you.