PDA

View Full Version : Some books I'm considering getting for Christmas

NOVALibertarian
12-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Outside of the obviousness of Economics in One Lesson and The Revolution: A Manifesto (which are on the list), I was considering what some of you all here think of some of the books I'm considering purchasing for Christmas, as well as asking some people to purchase for me. I trust the judgment of a lot of you all here, since we all seem to have the same mindset in regards to some of this stuff, so before I purchase any of these, I'd the opinion of the books to make sure that they're worth a read, or if better alternatives exist.

Unlearning Liberty: Campus Censorship and the End of American Debate- This was just released so I don't know if anyone here has had a chance to read it yet, but it intrigues me seeing as I'm probably going to be transferring to an actual college campus in the next year or so (Just out of high school and a community college student now) and it would be interested to have cases of censorship on college campuses documented into one book.

Malcolm X: A Life of Reinvention- I was considering this or his actual autobiography that was written in 1965, but I leaned towards this one since A) It was a cheaper on Amazon and B) It has received multiple great reviews from what I've read. If The Autobiography is THAT much better, I'll consider switching this out for The Autobiography but if not, I'll stick to this one for now and pick up The Autobiography later.

Nullification: How to Resist Federal Tyranny in the 21st Century: I have no idea why this book actually interests me, but it just does for some reason, lol. The fact that it is by Thomas Woods is probably one of the reasons, as I've heard a lot of good things about him on this forum and other places. Also the fact that I'm taking State & Local politics next semester also might be a reason.

The Real Crash: America's Coming Bankruptcy---How to Save Yourself and Your Country This interests me due to the fact that I've been arguing with my Liberal parents for months that, despite the economy seemingly getting better (by the accounts of MSNBC and the left), it really isn't and it's all just a facade. Would this book help my argument so I'm just not stuck on talking about "Real Unemployment" and the like?

The Complete Patriot's Guide to Oligarchical Collectivism: Its Theory and Practice- I came across this book while browsing Amazon last night, and it looks really intriguing. I understand that it's based on the book 1984 but outside of that, I have no clue what it's actually about (outside of the subject obviously).

So yeah, if anyone could give me some thoughts on a few, if not all of these books? I didn't include any of the books from the Mises Institute or any real Austrian Economics books, seeing as I had a thread (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?393646-Best-books-articles-to-read-to-understand-Classical-Liberalism-and-Austrian-Economics) a couple of months that I have bookmarked for future reference, not to mention the fact that most of those can be read online.

If anyone has any other suggestions for books that I should put on my list, feel free to suggest, although try to leave out books from the Mises Institute since, like I stated above, I could read them online and already have a good idea of which are good books for me to read from there.

And finally, chances are I haven't read a book that you'll suggest seeing as I'm pretty new to actually intently studying Ron Paul's beliefs. I think the only book I've read that somewhat deals with Libertarianism is Liberty Defined, which I enjoyed.

Acala
12-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Nullification is a great book! I have not read the others on the list.

Bastiat's "The Law" is a must read.

NOVALibertarian
12-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I was considering putting The Law onto the list, considering it is only about $6 on Amazon. Heard a lot of good things about the book, as well as Bastiat (sp?) himself.