PDA

View Full Version : Fracking Energy Boom: MSNBC host asks -- Is Energy Becoming Too Cheap?

FrankRep
12-09-2012, 11:45 AM
MSNBC host: Energy is just too darn cheap (http://hotair.com/archives/2012/12/08/msnbc-host-energy-is-just-too-darn-cheap/)

Hot Air
December 8, 2012

MSNBC is essentially saying that cheap energy is bad because they want everyone to use expensive "Green energy."

Chris Hayes: We’re talking about the massive, extractive energy boom happening in America right now and how it’s transforming our politics and how that can be made to work with a sane climate policy, which is really the difficult question. Before the break I left the question on the table about the price of energy being too low right now. Basically we see this massive amount of supply has come onto the grid thanks largely to natural gas. The price has come down, and I think we generally think, “Oh, lower prices are better.” But it seems to me there’s a lot of problematic stuff about the price coming down sharply as it is right now in terms of incentives for efficiency and et cetera.

Dan Dicker: You would want the prices to go up a lot because it would drive the next stage towards renewables, and make that at least cost-effective. Algae fuel, we talk a lot about that…

C.H.: Some people talk about that.

D.D.: Yeah. The cost is about eight and a half to nine dollars a gallon compared to gasoline as it is now. You want the prices to go up to make these a little more cost effective. Drive the technology into them. Unfortunately it’s actually going quite the opposite. You talk about increased supply here in the United States. In fact, overseas demand is dropping. We are still in the midst of an economic problem in Europe. Chinese growth is going down. Indian growth seems to be going down. In this country we’ve done better in terms of efficiencies and our demands are starting to drop, so in terms of what economically you can expect, you will expect the opposite, or at least I do over the next several years, that oil prices will in fact go lower. Natural gas you can – because we have a futures market, we look forward to the future and see what people are betting the price is going to be. That doesn’t go over 5$ an MCF until 2020 according to the futures markets. So although you might want… we have to drive the renewable argument some other way, because price doesn’t look like it’s going to do it.

Frances Beinecke: Look, the only thing that’s going to change that is if we finally put a price on carbon.

C.H.: Right.

F.B.: The externals of all the fossil fuel development are not incorporated in the current price, so the environmental effects, the health effects, the consequences to communities, none of that is factored in. We have to change that, get a price on carbon, drive it up so we can promote renewables and efficiencies first and foremost.

===

Related News:

Natural Gas — Yours for the Fracking (http://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/energy/item/7105-natural-gas-%E2%80%94-yours-for-the-fracing)

Wresting natural gas via fracking from tight shale formations a mile underground is one of man’s greatest accomplishments, and one that promises abundant, clean fuel for a century or more.

Natural Gas — the Coming Shale Gale (http://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/energy/item/7106-natural-gas-%E2%80%94-the-coming-shale-gale)

Natural gas production is now booming, thanks to new methods of obtaining gas from shale stone.

Energy Boom Could Make U.S. Largest Oil Producer by 2020 (http://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/energy/item/13639-energy-boom-will-make-us-largest-oil-producer-by-2020)

The growing energy boom in the U.S. could make it the largest global oil producer by the end of the decade, according to a new report.

HOLLYWOOD
12-09-2012, 12:14 PM
How much do these propaganda puppets make in Salaries, bonuses, compensation?

AGRP
12-09-2012, 12:31 PM
The "news" isnt news. They hide the real news and you have to dig to find it even on the net. Its probably always been this way.

KCIndy
12-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Okay, everyone.

Next time we fill our gas tanks, let's get a receipt and mail it to this idiot and ask for reimbursement. Since energy is "too cheap" anyway, it shouldn't be a problem for him.

Victor Grey
12-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Nothing has rushed human advancement more, than the availability of cheap abundant energy.

These people are cavemen that consider themselves intellectuals.

The only reason they're even on t.v. in an air conditioned studio wearing dry-cleaned suits discussing technological advancements of renewable energy instead of pushing some plow behind a horse and crunching rocks with their teeth, is because of abundant affordable energy.

They have to squirt out this endless spiel on climate change and immediate total ecological doom, because may heaven forbid humans continue advancing at the massive rate we are going, at cost of some ecological damage in the meantime instead of simply ducking back into the caves to play with fire.

There are so many well-funded environmental groups out there (largest 10 foundations irrc are almost all environment themed) that if they ever lived up to that collectivist tripe, they could fund research into renewables that would likely see amazing advancements within the next 50 years.

But that of course would imply that the world isn't going to be a desolate desert by then or whatever the rhetoric happens to be.

youngbuck
12-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Those people are demented, diabolical, sociopathic social-engineer wannabes. The sad and scary thing is that there are people out there who will listen to these trolls and gobble up their propaganda like it's going out of style.

itshappening
12-09-2012, 01:04 PM
How much does GE stand to lose from new entrants into the energy market?

Victor Grey
12-09-2012, 01:15 PM
How much does GE stand to lose from new entrants into the energy market?

Who cares. How much do we as consumers stand to gain from the price competition?

itshappening
12-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Who cares. How much do we as consumers stand to gain from the price competition?

I'm just saying who controls MSNBC and the talking heads: isn't it GE? A company who has something to lose.

Victor Grey
12-09-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm just saying who controls MSNBC and the talking heads: isn't it GE? A company who has something to lose.

Ah I see. Well I would agree if they had something to gain from new competition, they likely wouldn't let it be positively portrayed. Could be something there.

dillo
12-09-2012, 06:12 PM
I'm just saying who controls MSNBC and the talking heads: isn't it GE? A company who has something to lose. no Israel owns on the talking heads