PDA

View Full Version : Should the congress or senate be bigger?

RandRevolution
12-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Seems like it would make sense to increase the number now that the population has increased.

Smart3
12-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Increasing the number of Senators is pointless.

Increasing the number of Congressmen to 600 or 1000 would be a major improvement. A more important improvement would be proportional representation, which should end the two-party system permanently.

tod evans
12-09-2012, 12:20 PM
I'm loath to increase any portion of government.........Look what's happened with what we have.

Dr.3D
12-09-2012, 12:22 PM
I'm loath to increase any portion of government.........Look what's happened with what we have.
Yep, just more bodies to pay sitting there. We are trying to cut costs. Maybe there should be half as many to pay.

LibertyEagle
12-09-2012, 12:23 PM
No. There is NOTHING in government that should be bigger. DOWNSIZE, DOWNSIZE, DOWNSIZE. Heck, with the downsize, SLASH out big parts of it.

FrancisMarion
12-09-2012, 12:28 PM
I don't consider it a numbers problem. I consider it a problem of not following the document.

Would an increased House dilute the "purchasing" power of the lobbies?

Kotin
12-09-2012, 12:29 PM
No. There is NOTHING in government that should be bigger. DOWNSIZE, DOWNSIZE, DOWNSIZE. Heck, with the downsize, SLASH out big parts of it.

THIS

CaptUSA
12-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Senate = NO!

2 per state. If you screw that up, you might as well end the states and make it one big government.

Congress? There is a case to be made that shrinking district sizes will allow more direct representation. I'd tread carefully, but I'd be willing to entertain the idea.

FrancisMarion
12-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Strength in numbers could be a good defense to cronyism.

VIDEODROME
12-09-2012, 12:34 PM
What if we just got rid of Congress?

Instead have 1 Senator appointed by the Governor and State Legislator, the other Senator voted for by the State citizens in the general election.

FrancisMarion
12-09-2012, 12:37 PM
What if we just got rid of Congress?

Instead have 1 Senator appointed by the Governor and State Legislator, the other Senator voted for by the State citizens in the general election.

More cronyism. Less interest in the people.

Make the House bigger. Pay them well (small expense % wise). We can't have only the rich who can afford to represent.

VIDEODROME
12-09-2012, 12:52 PM
I tend to want to have things small and simple. I think the way things already are is like trying to have your voice heard in a stadium and what speaks loudest is money.

I have heard the complaints about how Senators were appointed before the 17th Amendment, that's why I suggest a compromise where 1 is appointed and the other is elected.

Brian4Liberty
12-09-2012, 12:54 PM
2 per state. If you screw that up, you might as well end the states and make it one big government.

More States would be an improvement, which would result in more Senators. The huge western States should be broken up into smaller States.

matt0611
12-09-2012, 12:58 PM
The house should be bigger. Each congressman will represent less people and there will be more districts. It should be at least doubled or tripled in size.

There should be a larger amount of states as well. States need to be broken up.

CaptUSA
12-09-2012, 12:59 PM
More States would be an improvement, which would result in more Senators. The huge western States should be broken up into smaller States.Interesting.... You may be on to something. That may be a way to get better representation for limited government in the Senate. I bet Jefferson would approve.

Damn, Brian, I have to give you rep for that! I hadn't even considered this before. Imagine East Texas and West Texas... Imagine how many states we could get in Alaska... It would seem our government would have a new flavor, wouldn't it?

Brian4Liberty
12-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Interesting.... You may be on to something. That may be a way to get better representation for limited government in the Senate. I bet Jefferson would approve.

Damn, Brian, I have to give you rep for that! I hadn't even considered this before. Imagine East Texas and West Texas... Imagine how many states we could get in Alaska... It would seem our government would have a new flavor, wouldn't it?

There are a lot of divisions that would make sense. East and West Washington. State of Jefferson which would be part of Oregon and California. California should probably be five different States. Same with Texas.

Smart3
12-09-2012, 01:30 PM
There are a lot of divisions that would make sense. East and West Washington. State of Jefferson which would be part of Oregon and California. California should probably be five different States. Same with Texas.
I would prefer the 'state of Lincoln' (google it)

I don't think breaking up Texas is a good idea, because it's impossible to draw a good map. I think the same problem exists with California, although there are a few possibilities. I'd be more interested in giving Nevada some parts of Cali - like Inyo, and the parts that border Washoe.

Brian4Liberty
12-09-2012, 01:37 PM

I'd still call it East Washington.

Voluntarist
12-09-2012, 01:39 PM
xxxxx

John of Des Moines
12-09-2012, 01:41 PM
The Founders saw the problem with representation since the First Congress in sending to the States the very first amendment (unratified) would set the representation at one to 30,000 so today the House would be around 10k in membership. A larger representative body results in a smaller government (sound like an oxymoron) see thirty-thousand.org (http://www.thirty-thousand.org/). This would allow for multi-subcapitals so a foreign military against the federal leadership would have to hit several places at once.

Several improvements could be made without increasing the size of Congress.

1) No political parties on ballots. An individual runs on his/her record, not under some party umbrella.

2) Eliminate single member districts - for example California has 57 representatives, have five - 10 member districts and the remaining 7 elected statewide.

3) Repeal the 17th Amendment and prohibit the legislatures from using voter polls to elect Senators (before the 17th amendment several legislatures would rubber stamp the voter approved candidates for Senate). Allow Senators to be elected by a 40% plurality of the legislature, allow the legislature to remove a Senator by a 2/3 vote. Require the legislature to sit in joint continuous session until they elect a Senator (no other business allowed).

Smart3
12-09-2012, 01:48 PM
I'd still call it East Washington.
I'd prefer Coolidge.... LOL

heavenlyboy34
12-09-2012, 01:50 PM
I tend to want to have things small and simple. I think the way things already are is like trying to have your voice heard in a stadium and what speaks loudest is money.

I have heard the complaints about how Senators were appointed before the 17th Amendment, that's why I suggest a compromise where 1 is appointed and the other is elected.
Senators were indirectly elected before amendment 17. The advantages of having proportional representation in the house are more gridlock (preventing them from doing so many foolish things). I'm surprised to see self-proclaimed "Constitutionalists" here disinterested in proportional representation in the House. If you believe that the Federalists meant what they said, Congress should be much bigger now in order to more accurately represent the districts. As long as we're doing the Constitution thing, I say expand the house and return to indirect election of senators. JMHO.

heavenlyboy34
12-09-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm all for a Representative in one state representing close to the same number of voters as a Representative in another state. But if you increase the size of the House without increasing the size of the Senate then consider the impact upon the mix in the Electoral College.
But if you were to increase the Senate size it would defeat the purpose of the Senate...unless you kept the number of Senators per state equal. (6 per state, for example) I don't see that as any improvement though, as the Senate never was (and never will be) the chamber closest to "the people".

FrancisMarion
12-09-2012, 01:55 PM
The Founders saw the problem with representation since the First Congress in sending to the States the very first amendment (unratified) would set the representation at one to 30,000 so today the House would be around 10k in membership. A larger representative body results in a smaller government (sound like an oxymoron) see thirty-thousand.org (http://www.thirty-thousand.org/). This would allow for multi-subcapitals so a foreign military against the federal leadership would have to hit several places at once.

Interesting link you posted thanks. I found this excerpt that supports my train of thought on this thread:

Q15: Who would oppose the creation of such an amendment?

A15: Without exception, every influential political and economic special interest operating in this nation will strenuously oppose enlarging the House to the extent necessary to return political power to the citizens. The investment in the status quo is extensive and deep. Powerful special interest groups as well as the federal lobbyist industry depend on their ability to influence a very small number of House members (and Senators) in order to affect legislative and policy outcomes. It will become impossible to effect the same level of influence upon the House when it consists of thousands of Representatives, especially if those many Representatives are living back in the real world — among their constituency — rather than being concentrated in the surreal parallel universe known as Washington, D.C.

Consequently, there is a long list of powerful institutional forces that will oppose this amendment: multinational corporations, most industry trade groups, labor unions, the Republican Party, the Democrat Party, the House of Representatives, the Senate, the federal executive branch and last, but not least, most foreign governments. These disparate forces, which normally do not collaborate with one another, will be united in defending the oligarchy in the federal House of Representatives

LibertyEagle
12-09-2012, 01:58 PM
The house should be bigger. Each congressman will represent less people and there will be more districts. It should be at least doubled or tripled in size.

There should be a larger amount of states as well. States need to be broken up.

Well, hell, let's make every citizen a congressman. We'll have real representation then. Of course, that will be akin to a pure democracy, which sucks big time, but what the heck, right?

LibertyEagle
12-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Guys, isn't the idea that we REDUCE the scope of the federal government? If so, isn't the preceding discussion heading in the wrong direction?

I want to take away power from the federal government; hell ALL government. I most certainly do not want to pay for more people in government.

FrancisMarion
12-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Guys, isn't the idea that we REDUCE the scope of the federal government? If so, isn't the preceding discussion heading in the wrong direction?

I want to take away power from the federal government; hell ALL government. I most certainly do not want to pay for more people in government.

I consider scope to be what they do, not how many there are. Scope involves the work not the worker.

As far as the salaries? This is really pennies when compared to the current scope and its transactions.

I do understand your sentiment, but I'm thinking that more in the house might ironically do just that.

Keith and stuff
12-09-2012, 02:10 PM
More cronyism. Less interest in the people.

Make the House bigger. Pay them well (small expense % wise). We can't have only the rich who can afford to represent.

I support more US Reps but only if it is spending neutral. That would likely mean less staffers, lower pay and much worse retirement benefits. Even New Hampshire has 400 reps but NH does it by not giving them staff, offices, air conditioning or benefits and only paying them $100 a year.

AFPVet
12-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Yep, just more bodies to pay sitting there. We are trying to cut costs. Maybe there should be half as many to pay.

Or increase the number of congressional members and pay them a military salary.

heavenlyboy34
12-09-2012, 02:21 PM
I consider scope to be what they do, not how many there are. Scope involves the work not the worker.

As far as the salaries? This is really pennies when compared to the current scope and its transactions.

I do understand your sentiment, but I'm thinking that more in the house might ironically do just that.
This^^

LibertyEagle
12-09-2012, 02:22 PM

You're right. I should have said size and scope; instead of just scope.

I want to reduce government in all respects. I certainly don't want to make it bigger.

heavenlyboy34
12-09-2012, 02:23 PM

You're a Constitutionalist and don't want fair representation? :eek::eek: Does not compute.

LibertyEagle
12-09-2012, 02:28 PM
You're a Constitutionalist and don't want fair representation? :eek::eek: Does not compute.

That must be a first. An anarchist wanting to grow government.

I think adding more on the payroll, is not going to increase representation one iota. If you're worried about it, just go full out pure democracy. I'll take none though.

Keith and stuff
12-09-2012, 02:28 PM

How do you define fair representative? 1 rep for every 3,300 people?

heavenlyboy34
12-09-2012, 02:59 PM

I think adding more on the payroll, is not going to increase representation one iota. If you're worried about it, just go full out pure democracy. I'll take none though.
1) I'm not an anarchist. I don't really have a label. I just want voluntary relationship with governments. We've gone over this several times, and you should know it by now.
2) Your opinion is at odds with your revered founders.
3) If I were allowed to opt out of the regime, I wouldn't care how many representatives there are. As long as I'm forced into this game though, it is in my rational self-interest to create as many conflicts in government as possible to keep them at bay and to keep representation as local as possible.
4) Employing the slippery slope fallacy fails here. It's totally inaccurate.

heavenlyboy34
12-09-2012, 03:08 PM
How do you define fair representative? 1 rep for every 3,300 people? Article I, section 2 gives us a pretty good idea of how to figure it-1 rep for every 30,000 people. Any number you pick is going to be somewhat arbitrary, but the goal should be to reflect the population as best as possible.

liberty2897
12-09-2012, 03:11 PM

+rep

LibertyEagle
12-09-2012, 04:05 PM
1) I'm not an anarchist. I don't really have a label. I just want voluntary relationship with governments. We've gone over this several times, and you should know it by now.

I can't keep track of your evolution, hb. It seems to change quite frequently.

http://i49.tinypic.com/21llwed.png

Pauls' Revere
12-09-2012, 04:29 PM
I'd sign a petition to abolish the office of President.

Brian4Liberty
12-09-2012, 04:57 PM
I'd prefer Coolidge.... LOL

Grand Coulee isn't bad...

Dr.3D
12-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Or increase the number of congressional members and pay them a military salary.
Then the lobbyists would have even less trouble buying them off.

nobody's_hero
12-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Every time this comes up I have to wonder if people are any good with fractions.

1/435 is the same as 10/4,350 is the same as 100/43,500.

I fail to see what good increasing the number of representatives will do, unless you are assuming that we, the liberty movement, are just going to be able to grab up all these new seats and suddenly turn the tables. We seem to be making better progress trying to get a chunk of the current 435.

heavenlyboy34
12-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Every time this comes up I have to wonder if people are any good with fractions.

1/435 is the same as 10/4,350 is the same as 100/43,500.

I fail to see what good increasing the number of representatives will do, unless you are assuming that we, the liberty movement, are just going to be able to grab up all these new seats and suddenly turn the tables. We seem to be making better progress trying to get a chunk of the current 435.
Absolute numbers aren't the issue (the total number of reps). It's reps relative to the population. This concept is one of the reasons Americans severed ties with the British Empire ("taxation without representation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_taxation_without_representation)").
This article is dated by a few years, but still relevant:http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2009-11-15/news/0911130079_1_districts-ideal-size-plaintiffsWill a recent lawsuit result in Congress' biggest upheaval in almost 100 years? Probably not, but that's the hope of the parties who brought the case. They think that the House of Representatives is unconstitutional in its current form and that the only solution is to drastically increase its size.
This effort, while quixotic, is not thoroughly misguided. The House should, in fact be larger - but a lawsuit is the wrong way to reach that goal.

The plaintiffs, citizens of Delaware, Mississippi, Montana, South Dakota, and Utah, argue that the House's 435 seats are not fairly distributed among the states. Their own home states, in particular, have much larger House districts than the national average of 650,000 people. Montana's one district, for example, contains more than 900,000 people, compared with just 500,000 people in Wyoming's.
Even more curious than the plaintiffs' suit is their suggested remedy. They hope the court will order the House to be increased to either 932 or 1,761 representatives. Either size, in their view, would "offer a significant improvement over the current system ... by reducing the level of over and under-representation."
The plaintiffs' case is pretty weak. While no court has rejected their exact argument, the Supreme Court came close in a pair of 1990s apportionment decisions. In a 1992 case, the court observed that "the need to allocate a fixed number of indivisible Representatives among 50 States of varying populations makes it virtually impossible to have the same size district in any pair of States, let alone in all 50." In a 1996 case, the court similarly noted that "the Constitution itself ... make[s] it impossible to achieve population equality among interstate districts."
The plaintiffs' own suggested remedy confirms that interstate differences in district size cannot be eliminated. Even if the House's membership were quadrupled, districts would still deviate from the ideal size by about 10 percent total. And even if all House districts could somehow be equalized at the start of each Census cycle, their sizes would still be different at the end, thanks to varying rates of population change. In the 1990s, for example, both Nevada's 2nd and Maryland's 7th congressional districts began the decade at 600,000 people, but they ended it, respectively, at more than 1 million and less than 550,000.
While the plaintiffs are unlikely to prevail in court, they are not crazy to be concerned about the size of the House. New seats were added to the House every decade from 1790 (when there were just 69 members) until 1910. But after Congress deadlocked for political reasons in 1920 and 1929, the House's size froze at 435 members and has remained frozen even as the U.S. population has more than tripled. According to University of Connecticut political scientist Jeffrey Ladewig, the House is now smaller, relative to national population, than any other Western country's legislature. A more appropriate size would be about 670 representatives.
Political scientists predict that a larger House would produce representatives who are more accessible to (and better liked by) their constituents. The smaller the district, the more contact politicians can have with the people. More House seats would also mean more representation for minorities of all sorts. Racial and ethnic groups, women and candidates with unusual views would find it easier to win in districts that are smaller and more varied. And a House with 600-700 members would still be manageable. The British House of Commons, for instance, has 646 seats and functions at least as well as Congress.

A larger House, lastly, would cause the Electoral College to better approximate the popular vote in presidential elections. States are assigned as many electors as they have representatives and senators combined. So if the House were substantially bigger, the impact of each state's two senators would be (properly!) overwhelmed by all the new representatives. In 2000, Al Gore would have squeaked out a narrow Electoral College victory had the House consisted of 630 representatives (the number then appropriate).
The plaintiffs, then, would be well advised to abandon their lawsuit and to switch their efforts to the political arena. No court is likely to give them the relief they seek. But Congress has repeatedly increased the House's membership in the past, and there is no reason why it cannot do so again. Grass-roots organizing and backroom lobbying may not be as satisfying as filing suit - but they are the only way this battle can be won.
Martina E. Vandenberg (mvanden berg@jenner.com) is a partner in the Washington, D.C. office of Jenner & Block LLP and a member of the firm's election law and redistricting practice. Nicholas O. Stephanopoulos ( nstephanopoulos@jenner.com) is an associate at the firm specializing in election law.

VIDEODROME
12-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Senators were indirectly elected before amendment 17. The advantages of having proportional representation in the house are more gridlock (preventing them from doing so many foolish things). I'm surprised to see self-proclaimed "Constitutionalists" here disinterested in proportional representation in the House. If you believe that the Federalists meant what they said, Congress should be much bigger now in order to more accurately represent the districts. As long as we're doing the Constitution thing, I say expand the house and return to indirect election of senators. JMHO.

I just feel like a huge Congress is more likely to be inept and that any big committee is just good at making more red tape and rules. Also, imagine a group of say 5 Libertarian Congressman. In a smaller Congress they would be more powerful.

I also want to lean more toward a smaller government based on Representation. I think the State Senator could represent the Governor/Legislature and the Elected Senator be petitioned by the people or additionally County Officials.

The other path of increasing representation seems like it's heading toward Democracy. I think that might work in a smaller nation like Switzerland, but I'm not sure having a Stadium Capital Hill will do anything good and placing hope in government inefficiency doesn't fill me with confidence.

adams101
12-09-2012, 06:00 PM
I could not think of a worse thought than increasing the size of the federal government. Too much power in one place is a pox doomed to failure. Our federal election process is corrupted beyond any hope of repair. Billions in lobby money pour into the political campaigns guaranteeing crooks will retain power. Subverters of the criminal activity will be bought, corrupted or removed.

Changing politicians at this point is as sensible as changing your socks expecting to get different feet.

Nothing will ever change until we start decentralizing the federal government and moving as much spending/taxation back to the states and communities. The states are bound by balanced budget agreements meaning any passed has to have directly attached to the bill where ALL the money will come from to fund it.

As everything is moved back the states will sort through what they want and can afford. The remaining totally UNFUNDED programs and their spending will be exported to a needy socialist country to expedite their bankruptcy. Once we remove the ability for the politicians and people to vote themselves money on the back of future generations things will come to a very sobering reality of what we can afford and what we cannot.

After the "money junkies" are removed from their "extortion" process we can settle into some semblence of reality and our future generations won't have to be born into tens of trillions in debt to support people they will never know who are dead.

This decentralized government was the only defining difference between Europe and America.

heavenlyboy34
12-09-2012, 06:02 PM
I could not think of a worse thought than increasing the size of the federal government.

Nothing will ever change until we start decentralizing the federal government and moving as much spending/taxation back to the states and communities. The states are bound by balanced budget agreements meaning any passed has to have directly attached to the bill where ALL the money will come from to fund it.

As everything is moved back the states will sort through what they want and can afford. The remaining totally UNFUNDED programs and their spending will be exported to a needy socialist country to expedite their bankruptcy. Once we remove the ability for the politicians and people to vote themselves money on the back of future generations things will come to a very sobering reality of what we can afford and what we cannot.

After the "money junkies" are removed from their "extortion" process we can settle into some semblence of reality and our future generations won't have to be born into tens of trillions in debt to support people they will never know who are dead.

This decentralized government was the only defining difference between Europe and America.
I'm down for that, but it ain't "Strictly Constitutional". ;)

heavenlyboy34
12-09-2012, 06:04 PM
I just feel like a huge Congress is more likely to be inept and that any big committee is just good at making more red tape and rules. Also, imagine a group of say 5 Libertarian Congressman. In a smaller Congress they would be more powerful.

I also want to lean more toward a smaller government based on Representation. I think the State Senator could represent the Governor/Legislature and the Elected Senator be petitioned by the people or additionally County Officials.

The other path of increasing representation seems like it's heading toward Democracy. I think that might work in a smaller nation like Switzerland, but I'm not sure having a Stadium Capital Hill will do anything good and placing hope in government inefficiency doesn't fill me with confidence.
The alternative is to decentralize everything and only leave a handful of duties and "powers" to congress...which is the better way to go assuming we accept the Constitutionalists' presuppositions.

adams101
12-09-2012, 06:13 PM
The alternative is to decentralize everything and only leave a handful of duties and "powers" to congress...which is the better way to go assuming we accept the Constitutionalists' presuppositions.

Totally agree.
Decentralizing brings us back to a Free Republic. A Democracy is nothing but a fancy word for "mob rule". It is not in the Constitution and is purposely avoided as a form of government. It is about as logical as letting your 3 children run the family finances simply based on there being 3 of them and only 2 parents. In a Democracy there is no distinctions between dependents/parasites and supporters/hosts. Majority rules and the parents are reduced to financial slavery.

The founders only let educated land owners vote because they knew the lower class would simply vote to empty the treasury, ruin the credit, destroy the currency then chase everyone with a dollar more than themselves out of the country.... sound familiar?

It is a given and history since before Rome bears that out over and over. You cannot connect the people with the credit line.... PERIOD. You cannot let the word UNFUNDED exist in government.

heavenlyboy34
12-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Totally agree.
Decentralizing brings us back to a Free Republic. A Democracy is nothing but a fancy word for "mob rule". It is not in the Constitution and is purposely avoided as a form of government. It is about as logical as letting your 3 children run the family finances simply based on there being 3 of them and only 2 parents. In a Democracy there is no distinctions between dependents/parasites and supporters/hosts. Majority rules and the parents are reduced to financial slavery.

The founders only let educated land owners vote because they knew the lower class would simply vote to empty the treasury, ruin the credit, destroy the currency then chase everyone with a dollar more than themselves out of the country.... sound familiar?

It is a given and history since before Rome bears that out over and over. You cannot connect the people with the credit line.... PERIOD. You cannot let the word UNFUNDED exist in government.
Glad we agree on that. :) The problem is...getting the political clout to amend the Constitution in such a way that decentralizes everything-traditionally, TPTB are loathe to let go of power, and will gladly kill thousands of men, women, and children to keep it. :(:mad:

Anti Federalist
12-09-2012, 06:56 PM

It sounds counter-intuitive, I know, but it isn't really.

You'd have thousands of congresscritters, all at odds with one another, "gridlock" would be the norm, and very little growth of government would be possible.

NH is arguably the most free state in the country and it has one of the largest legislative bodies in the world, per capita.

All unpaid BTW. ;)

AFPVet
12-09-2012, 08:43 PM

You'd have thousands of congresscritters, all at odds with one another, "gridlock" would be the norm, and very little growth of government would be possible.

NH is arguably the most free state in the country and it has one of the largest legislative bodies in the world, per capita.

All unpaid BTW. ;)

Now that would be grand... no more career politicians... just statesmen who come in, vote, and go back to their real jobs.

heavenlyboy34
12-09-2012, 09:28 PM
I can't keep track of your evolution, hb. It seems to change quite frequently.

http://i49.tinypic.com/21llwed.png
Actually, it doesn't. I wasn't a "pure" anarchist very long at all. I've held my current position for a few years now(2 or 3, I think. I lost count). I just don't use a label for it. I find labels generally too confining. People from all sorts of backgrounds come up with useful ideas-Randians, Misesians, Jeffersonians, etc, etc. I just pick and choose what I personally find best and most rational/practical/moral.

heavenlyboy34
12-09-2012, 09:29 PM

All unpaid BTW. ;)
Thanks for chiming in, good sir. :D

Chester Copperpot
12-09-2012, 09:44 PM
there should be 8000 more people in the house... we dont get represented because we dont have enough representatives..

thats part of the problem... this freeze on the congress members.. happened circa 1913 like all the other problems

Lucille
12-11-2012, 02:57 PM
The country's too big. Bust it up!

America Is Too Big To Be Free
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/128162.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCNd7h0fsdE

"Whenever something is wrong, something is too big."
--Leopold Kohr

"Small is Beautiful."
--E.F. Schumacher

Rule 3 (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324735104578120953311383448.html): Small is beautiful, but it is also efficient.

The most stable country in the history of mankind (http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/10/08/epiphanies_from_nassim_nicholas_taleb), and probably the most boring, by the way, is Switzerland. It's not even a city-state environment; it's a municipal state. Most decisions are made at the local level, which allows for distributed errors that don't adversely affect the wider system. Meanwhile, people want a united Europe, more alignment, and look at the problems. The solution is right in the middle of Europe -- Switzerland. It's not united! It doesn't have a Brussels! It doesn't need one.

Confederate
12-11-2012, 03:08 PM
I say abolish both houses of Congress and merge them with the Presidency.

nobody's_hero
12-11-2012, 04:28 PM
I say abolish both houses of Congress and merge them with the Presidency.

You mean that hasn't already happened? Then someone should tell Congress that they still have a role.

Confederate
12-11-2012, 04:29 PM
You mean that hasn't already happened? Then someone should tell Congress that they still have a role.

I just think it should be made official. At least that way it could end some confusion among the general public that the separation of powers is still in existence.

nobody's_hero
12-11-2012, 04:34 PM
I just think it should be made official. At least that way it could end some confusion among the general public that the separation of powers is still in existence.

Separation of powers? We're now governed by a giant blob, lol. But yeah I think some people are still confused.

Uriah
12-13-2012, 06:02 PM

I don't think breaking up Texas is a good idea, because it's impossible to draw a good map. I think the same problem exists with California, although there are a few possibilities. I'd be more interested in giving Nevada some parts of Cali - like Inyo, and the parts that border Washoe.

http://www.phrelin.com/3Cals/Sitemap.htm

tttppp
12-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Seems like it would make sense to increase the number now that the population has increased.

Eliminate the congress and senate. That's a better option.

Smart3
12-14-2012, 05:21 PM
http://www.phrelin.com/3Cals/Sitemap.htm

Thank you.

heavenlyboy34
12-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Eliminate the congress and senate. That's a better option.
The senate is part of congress. Congress=Senate+House. /nitpick

tttppp
12-14-2012, 05:31 PM
The senate is part of congress. Congress=Senate+House. /nitpick

Whatever, you get my point. Eliminate the legislative branch.