PDA

View Full Version : King County GOP Organization Meeting live blog (for those who hate Lori Sotello)

RabbitMan
12-08-2012, 11:09 AM
It's not a huge deal, but I figured news was pretty slow lately. I'm at the organizational meeting where all the PCOs in and around Seattle come together to elect new leadership. There was a lot of bad blood spilled over the chaos and shinanigans in the March Caucus, and PCO membership went up over 50% since 2010, and this county GOP wins about 0% of its elections, so it might be an interesting test case to see if a local party ripe for takeover will actually happen.

I'll post updates as things go on.

JK/SEA
12-08-2012, 11:19 AM
It's not a huge deal, but I figured news was pretty slow lately. I'm at the organizational meeting where all the PCOs in and around Seattle come together to elect new leadership. There was a lot of bad blood spilled over the chaos and shinanigans in the March Caucus, and PCO membership went up over 50% since 2010, and this county GOP wins about 0% of its elections, so it might be an interesting test case to see if a local party ripe for takeover will actually happen.

I'll post updates as things go on.

goodluck. In Snohomish County i was hoping your scenario would take place here....nada....we fell about 20-40 votes short on the chair, and committee position chairs. We did however manage to get vice-chair. We are gaining compared to past reorgs.

sailingaway
12-08-2012, 11:40 AM
It is a big deal. We're rooting for you!

RabbitMan
12-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Two people obviously from our camp made fools of themselves over rules and technicalities and just plain doing things out of order and wasting time...not looking good so far.

sailingaway
12-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Two people obviously from our camp made fools of themselves over rules and technicalities and just plain doing things out of order and wasting time...not looking good so far.

are they obviously from our camp or are they planted tools to make us look bad? we've seen that before. Either way, good luck!

RabbitMan
12-08-2012, 12:40 PM
One of them was the person that continued a caucus after the current chair kicked them all out. There aren't plants here, don't worry, we are just that inept/amateur. It takes time to get experience in this type of thing and a lot of people get excited. :)

RabbitMan
12-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Scott Shock threw his name in the towel for Chair, which basically only achieves the goal of splitting the liberty vote, since he runs the local C4L, and Doug Parris was endorsed by the local C4L. Wow.

Mr.NoSmile
12-08-2012, 01:23 PM
One of them was the person that continued a caucus after the current chair kicked them all out. There aren't plants here, don't worry, we are just that inept/amateur. It takes time to get experience in this type of thing and a lot of people get excited. :)

Which, in a way, does give credence to the claim that, as much as people may not want to admit it, most of the people in our camp are new and are inexperienced by not taking part in this process outside of the general election. I'm sorry, but it is true.

JK/SEA
12-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Doug needs to win this.

JK/SEA
12-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Which, in a way, does give credence to the claim that, as much as people may not want to admit it, most of the people in our camp are new and are inexperienced by not taking part in this process outside of the general election. I'm sorry, but it is true.

Showing up to vote is paramount. Having a handful of Roberts Rules experts is fine.

FSP-Rebel
12-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Holding delegate training sessions in the Robert Rules of Orders should've been happening but, of course, that takes better organizational tactics on the leaders behalf. Then, having another liberty person running against another for whatever position is not just exceedingly inept, it's stupid I'm sorry. Not your fault obviously.

RabbitMan
12-08-2012, 01:56 PM
One of the nominees for chair just lit a joint on stage after confirming this was considered a 'private party'. And then him and another group were comparing bud in the back. Just a hilarious aside.

Scott shock got 114 votes, Doug Parris got 74 votes. Winner got 240. Ugh.

Bastiat's The Law
12-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Scott Shock threw his name in the towel for Chair, which basically only achieves the goal of splitting the liberty vote, since he runs the local C4L, and Doug Parris was endorsed by the local C4L. Wow.
It amazes me sometimes how Paul supporters don't communicate with each other prior to these meetings to formulate a game plan. When we do strategically plan we usually win (Nevada, Minnesota, Maine, Iowa, etc).

FSP-Rebel
12-08-2012, 02:27 PM
One of the nominees for chair just lit a joint on stage
I'm sure that did wonders for networking purposes.

Mr.NoSmile
12-08-2012, 02:29 PM
It amazes me sometimes how Paul supporters don't communicate with each other prior to these meetings to formulate a game plan. When we do strategically plan we usually win (Nevada, Minnesota, Maine, Iowa, etc).

Well, to that point, what's a central point that supporters could use? Too many Facebook groups, lots of message boards like this as well.

JK/SEA
12-08-2012, 02:33 PM
any news on the other chair votes? vice and committee?

tsai3904
Well, to that point, what's a central point that supporters could use? Too many Facebook groups, lots of message boards like this as well.

Yea, that's the biggest problem. There is nothing. People have to organize on their own and someone just has to step up and take the lead. Someone has to gather email addresses and phone numbers of everyone in the area and schedule meetings prior to the main event.

RabbitMan

That should be Campaign for Liberty's number one job.

RabbitMan
12-08-2012, 02:35 PM
any news on the other chair votes? vice and committee?

Ballots are taking hella long to count. I'm actually going to have to leave in not too long for work. I'm pretty sure the status quo is staying in power.

JK/SEA
12-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Yea, that's the biggest problem. There is nothing. People have to organize on their own and someone just has to step up and take the lead. Someone has to gather email addresses and phone numbers of everyone in the area and schedule meetings prior to the main event.

thats what was done prior to my county reorg. Went better than what i expected.

JK/SEA
12-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Ballots are taking hella long to count. I'm actually going to have to leave in not too long for work. I'm pretty sure the status quo is staying in power.

thanks Rabbitman for the updates.

FSP-Rebel
12-08-2012, 02:40 PM
It amazes me sometimes how Paul supporters don't communicate with each other prior to these meetings to formulate a game plan.
The delegate leader(s) need to have local contact lists of RP supporters that have been worked over in the past delegate drives. And then yes, there needs to be prep meetings prior to any and all conventions/party meetings w/ business at hand to make delegates knowledgeable about who our people running the show are. This lack of communication should never happen. Still, I wonder what kind of character the new chair has and whether our guys going down is a big deal or not. Hope we can pull some goodness out of this. Any gain is a plus.

JK/SEA
12-08-2012, 02:42 PM
The delegate leader(s) need to have local contact lists of RP supporters that have been worked over in the past delegate drives. And then yes, there needs to be prep meetings prior to any and all conventions/party meetings w/ business at hand to make delegates knowledgeable about who our people running the show are. This lack of communication should never happen. Still, I wonder what kind of character the new chair has and whether our guys going down is a big deal or not. Hope we can pull some goodness out of this. Any gain is a plus.

pretty sure lori the bitch sotelo is chair now. And she has zero scruples or moral character. Like most who voted for her.

FSP-Rebel
12-08-2012, 02:50 PM
pretty sure lori the bitch sotelo is chair now. And she has zero scruples or moral character. Like most who voted for her.
Well, I wonder how these new numbers stack up against how we did in the caucus? Are we losing people, people just not showing up? Pretty sure the lack of organization is partially to blame. I would've thought that since WA was a good state for us that there would be some level of professional organizing going on there at every local level.

JK/SEA
12-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Well, I wonder how these new numbers stack up against how we did in the caucus? Are we losing people, people just not showing up? Pretty sure the lack of organization is partially to blame. I would've thought that since WA was a good state for us that there would be some level of professional organizing going on there at every local level.

hmmm..well, if you add up the split vote, sotelo wins by 62, but it seems for KING county, largest in Washington State, having a grand total of 328 show up is not too bad, but i don't have any previous numbers from past re-org meetings for comparison.

Bastiat's The Law
12-08-2012, 02:55 PM
I'm a big fan of weekly meetings, even during non-election cycles.

JK/SEA
12-08-2012, 02:59 PM

weekly meetings?....i prefer touching bases via email, and perhaps having a meeting every other month...maybe. Have to be careful of political burnout. Not all of us are William Wallace types.....

Mr.NoSmile
12-08-2012, 02:59 PM

Meetings are good for in person, yes. But consider scenarios like the bus situation at the RNC or the roll call. When things are happening, whether before or during, folks online need a good way to communicate. Between the amount of GOP, Liberty, Campaign for Liberty Facebook pages and so on, there are too many pages to choose from and there's no way of knowing whether everyone gets the message. Yes, this should be the responsibility of those in charge, but considering how quickly information is passed from here to the Daily Paul to Facebook groups to Twitter and whatnot, there needs to be more unity. Say what people will about 'establishment' types, they seem to have communication better down than folks in our camp do at times.

Bastiat's The Law
12-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Meetings are good for in person, yes. But consider scenarios like the bus situation at the RNC or the roll call. When things are happening, whether before or during, folks online need a good way to communicate. Between the amount of GOP, Liberty, Campaign for Liberty Facebook pages and so on, there are too many pages to choose from and there's no way of knowing whether everyone gets the message. Yes, this should be the responsibility of those in charge, but considering how quickly information is passed from here to the Daily Paul to Facebook groups to Twitter and whatnot, there needs to be more unity. Say what people will about 'establishment' types, they seem to have communication better down than folks in our camp do at times.
I understand those off-the-wall scenarios being hard to plan for, but basic stuff like this should be our bread n butter. I have totally given up on communicating with Daily Paul. When I posted stuff about Bentivolio and Massie I got nothing crickets from that place.

Bastiat's The Law
12-08-2012, 03:11 PM
weekly meetings?....i prefer touching bases via email, and perhaps having a meeting every other month...maybe. Have to be careful of political burnout. Not all of us are William Wallace types.....
Doesn't have to be every week, but certainly on a semi-regular basis and you could also include doing some fun things like a pub crawl or going out to eat together. Build a network and lasting friendships with fellow supports. Encourage supporters to bring their friends/family to the next meeting and build up your numbers exponentially over time. Also delegate responsibilities to those with specials skills accordingly. That way when an election does roll around you're firing on all four cylinders and you're political machine locally.

nobody's_hero
12-08-2012, 03:42 PM
I'm sure that did wonders for networking purposes.

LOL. If nothing else, it'll be good for republicans to see someone smoking a joint and the world not-ending.

surf
12-08-2012, 05:32 PM
i could have attended this, but the volume of - hideous, often juvenile and worse, often listing the identical neocon endorsements - emails made it pretty clear that this would just be another $15 and gas to get kicked in the balls. as many of us know, it's often tough to keep oneself from engaging in altercations of some kind at these things. feel free think less of me for not doing my part.

whoever was in charge of the C4L mailing did not make much of case a case for attending.

rabbitman is spot one when he talks about utter futility in King Co, and while these local "leaders" contiinue to follow the same neocon big-government directive from the national party, they will continue to be irrelevant.

unless the King County GOP chooses to re-brand itself amd adopt libertarian (freedom-based) viewpoints it will only wilt for years until it get so bad that voters will try anything else.

anyway, here's a Kirby Wilbur (state party chair) quote fron an article today about the poor "conservatives" in this sotoned-gay state
http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2019857998_voters08m.html
Too much government

Wilbur, the GOP party chairman — who describes himself as a "devout Lutheran" — says he believes that voters who said yes to same-sex marriage and pot don't necessarily support those things. "I think people are saying, 'It's none of the government's business,' " he said. "I think there's a strong libertarian streak out there."

As a political leader, he isn't inclined to move to another state, he said.

"I'm not going to give up my home state quite so easily, and no reason why I should. There's hope out there! There's people I've got to convince they're wrong."

Besides, Wilbur quipped, "Our hope is people smoke enough pot, they'll forget to vote, and then we'll win."
what can i tell you? and this Wilbur character is one of the better ones. i think he introduced rp somewhere last year. his response to the C4L email, however, was as juvenile as his quip.

JK/SEA
12-08-2012, 05:57 PM
no worries. They will continue to lose the BIG elections, and then wonder why, and continue on as if its someone elses fault.

I told the new chair in Snohomish county the other day that the Ron Paul Revolution came to save the party, but you all threw us under the bus...she paused...then said ''oh, i see, your way or the hiway huh?....my reply..''its a 2 way street''...she stormed off....my highlight for the week.

Barrex
12-08-2012, 06:41 PM
no worries. They will continue to lose the BIG elections, and then wonder why, and continue on as if its someone elses fault.

I told the new chair in Snohomish county the other day that the Ron Paul Revolution came to save the party, but you all threw us under the bus...she paused...then said ''oh, i see, your way or the hiway huh?....my reply..''its a 2 way street''...she stormed off....my highlight for the week.

When you dont get enough people for local county GOP organization meeting you are not sending that message... in fact you are sending message:

"We are few and disorganized (2 candidates, and combined still wouldnt win)."

illusions of grandeur.... for reality needs more.

parocks
12-08-2012, 06:59 PM

Meetings, or just send out an email to those people.

JK/SEA
12-08-2012, 07:00 PM
When you dont get enough people for local county GOP organization meeting you are not sending that message... in fact you are sending message:

"We are few and disorganized (2 candidates, and combined still wouldnt win)."

illusions of grandeur.... for reality needs more.

Not a fair statement. The votes for the status quo only pointed to one thing. These entrenched so-con NEOCONS are only interested in keeping control of the party the way they want it. No aha red pill moment or epiphany's for these old buzzards, and the combined candidates wouldn't and didn't make a difference in the outcome.

parocks
12-08-2012, 07:11 PM

Meetings are costly and time consuming.

Someone should be organizing, so that the large number of soldiers can know to go to those things that are the most important.

LibertyEagle
12-08-2012, 07:19 PM
One of the nominees for chair just lit a joint on stage after confirming this was considered a 'private party'. And then him and another group were comparing bud in the back. Just a hilarious aside.

Scott shock got 114 votes, Doug Parris got 74 votes. Winner got 240. Ugh.

How is making a complete jackass of yourself on stage, humorous at all? That makes us look HORRIBLE.

parocks
12-08-2012, 07:20 PM
I understand those off-the-wall scenarios being hard to plan for, but basic stuff like this should be our bread n butter. I have totally given up on communicating with Daily Paul. When I posted stuff about Bentivolio and Massie I got nothing crickets from that place.

It should be easy. When you're talking about things on this level, there are very few important events. This was likely one of the big ones.

We need to focus on the end, and work back. The end, here, is getting 241 votes for the win. I'm assuming there aren't 241 eligible voters who support Ron Paul.

We don't really need much from most people. But occasionally, we do. Identify the handful of things (voting opportunities) we have every year, and tell our people about them in an organized way.

klamath
12-08-2012, 07:23 PM
How is making a complete jackass of yourself on stage, humorous at all? That makes us look HORRIBLE.
Yeaw I am going to say the best person won in that county. I wouldn't vote for anyone that lite up a joint while getting on stage anymore than I would vote for a guy that takes a slug of whiskey while getting on stage.

kathy88
12-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Fuck you Scott.

JK/SEA
12-08-2012, 07:26 PM

Interesting how 'we' jump to conclusions on this person being..'one of us'...i wasn't there, you weren't there, and it is possible this 'person' was a 'plant'...lol..no?

JK/SEA
12-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Yeaw I am going to say the best person won in that county. I wouldn't vote for anyone that lite up a joint while getting on stage anymore than I would vote for a guy that takes a slug of whiskey while getting on stage.

yeah..Loro Sotelo is waay more qualified to be chair eh?...

so, if you had a choice: Hitler or a guy who smoked a joint on stage?

JK/SEA
12-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Fuck you Scott.
hmmm,,,well, the combined votes of Doug Parris and Scott still wouldn't have given 'us' the chair, but still...kinda weird. 2 guys on the same team...supposedly...vying for chair. I'd like to know whats going on in this instance.

LibertyEagle
12-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Interesting how 'we' jump to conclusions on this person being..'one of us'...i wasn't there, you weren't there, and it is possible this 'person' was a 'plant'...lol..no?

Sure. But, you know, you must admit that it is perfectly within the realm of possibilities of someone in our camp doing this. You know that as well as I do.

Not to mention the fact that the guy who reported that it happened, WAS there..

ican'tvote
12-08-2012, 07:36 PM
so, if you had a choice: Hitler or a guy who smoked a joint on stage?
Hitler wasn't an option.

sailingaway
12-08-2012, 07:41 PM

I'd think pretty definitely a plant. We've come through a number of conventions without smoking joints. Why would we start suddenly doing such a thing at convention?

JK/SEA
12-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Hitler wasn't an option.

i dunno...we need a DNA sample from Lori to confirm either way.

JK/SEA
12-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Sure. But, you know, you must admit that it is perfectly within the realm of possibilities of someone in our camp doing this. You know that as well as I do.

lol...otay...what-ev..lol

parocks
12-08-2012, 08:17 PM
hmmm,,,well, the combined votes of Doug Parris and Scott still wouldn't have given 'us' the chair, but still...kinda weird. 2 guys on the same team...supposedly...vying for chair. I'd like to know whats going on in this instance.

Us being unable to pick just one candidate is worse than that guy smoking on stage.

Barrex
12-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Not a fair statement. The votes for the status quo only pointed to one thing. These entrenched so-con NEOCONS are only interested in keeping control of the party the way they want it. No aha red pill moment or epiphany's for these old buzzards, and the combined candidates wouldn't and didn't make a difference in the outcome.

Perfectly fair. Ill try to explain it better:

"We are few (even combined they still wouldnt win) and disorganized (to nominate 2 candidates from same team says that or is says something even worse)."

P.s.

I am not having a swing at you... just saying.

Bastiat's The Law
12-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Well if nothing else at least we diagnosed the problem in King County on our end. Now we just need some grassroots people to step up and set things right.

RabbitMan
12-09-2012, 10:29 PM
They did mention that PCO membership has increased 50% since 2010. And checking the vote totals in the beginning, 240-180, that's a sizeable chunk for us.

surf
12-09-2012, 10:57 PM
They did mention that PCO membership has increased 50% since 2010. And checking the vote totals in the beginning, 240-180, that's a sizeable chunk for us.not to mention how the stupid emails surely fired up the neocons to show up (and kept me away).

these local guys have their own button-down candidates that seemingly are squeezed from the same mold.

KingNothing
12-10-2012, 08:36 AM
Us being unable to pick just one candidate is worse than that guy smoking on stage.

It's embarrassing. You have to expect things like this to happen every so often, though. America is a big country, with thousands of political contests taking place every year. We're not going to perform admirably in all of them. The important thing is that we learn from every single mistake and work to make sure they do not continue to happen. And we've done that better than I could have ever imagined. If we keep our pace up through 2014, we'll set ourselves up beautifully for 2016, and if we can keep our foot on the gas, we'll be looking at a total political sea-change by 2020.

JK/SEA
12-10-2012, 08:39 AM
It's embarrassing. You have to expect things like this to happen every so often, though. America is a big country, with thousands of political contests taking place every year. We're not going to perform admirably in all of them. The important thing is that we learn from every single mistake and work to make sure they do not continue to happen.

what is it you're assuming?

jcannon98188
12-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Hitler wasn't an option.

You obviously have never met Lori Sotello.

jcannon98188
12-10-2012, 09:58 AM

My dad was there, he never met this guy (he was an older guy who kept rambling apparently) so the pot smoker might have been a plant. But Scott or whatever his name was who ran for chair, he was running for something else also, and then declared "I am running for chair!" It was supposed to be Doug we were putting forward.