PDA

View Full Version : UT-Cop steals prescrip painkillers from couple using database of prescriptions.

Anti Federalist
12-07-2012, 09:53 PM
"I'm here for a pill check. Get down on the ground".

I just get sick of this at times...

This is just one reason that all these databases are bad.

Vernal couple files civil lawsuit against former cop who stole their medication

He claimed to be conducting a “pill check” during visits to their home.

By Brooke Adams

First Published Dec 03 2012 06:41 pm • Last Updated Dec 04 2012 12:15 am

Two Vernal residents filed a civil lawsuit Monday against the city, the state and a former police officer who they allege used personal information from Utah’s prescription drug database to harass them and steal their pain medication.

Candy Holmes and Russell Smithe allege former Vernal police Officer Ben M. Murray looked up information about them, including medical history and other private data, in the state’s prescription drug database. He was able to learn when they filled prescriptions, for what drugs and in what quantities. Murray, wearing his police uniform and driving his police vehicle, then visited their home at least 30 times between January and July 2011 to conduct what he called a "pill check," according to the complaint filed in U.S. District Court.

While at their homes, Murray discussed their medical conditions and other personal business and required them to produce their medications so he could count the pills. During that process, he would distract them and pocket pills.

The couple caught on to what was happening and set up a video camera to record Murray’s next visits, which always coincided with when they refilled their prescriptions.

Murray was arrested in August 2011 and resigned from the police force. Murray apparently managed to take hundreds of Oxycontin and Percocet pills from the couple.

The complaint says Murray knew Holmes and Smithe had criminal histories, mental health issues, were uneducated and poor and thus were unlikely to question him or figure out that his actions were unlawful.

"He hoped that they would be too dumb to notice the pills were missing," the complaint says. "He counted on the fact that they would be too scared to stop him from coming into their homes and stealing their medication because of his status as law enforcement."

The court filing says that as a result of Murray’s actions, Holmes and Smithe suffered physical pain, extreme shock, severe emotional distress, humiliation, embarrassment and "instilled in them a significant and continuing fear of law enforcement officers." It asks for damages of at least $2 million.

(Looks to me like their mental health has improved, based on that. - AF)

It says the city and the state failed to adequately supervise or have policies in place to stop Murray from carrying out his scheme and also did not adequately monitor use of the prescription medication database, which can be accessed by police as well as doctors and pharmacists.

(This is the begining of the end, right there, when your medical history can be rooted around in by asshole cops. - AF)

AFPVet
12-07-2012, 09:57 PM
That's what happens when you put medications in a 'government database'.

MikeStanart
12-08-2012, 06:48 AM
That's what happens when you put medications in a 'government database'.

We should start making our own database.

tod evans
12-08-2012, 06:57 AM
All drugs need to be legal, that would prevent wayward cops from steeling, costs would go way down due to no security needed during the manufacturing and distribution phase...

Anyway, since drugs aren't legal and this cop is obviously a piece of shit...

http://www.twowheelforum.com/images/smilies/hang.gif Get a rope! :mad:

GunnyFreedom
12-08-2012, 08:47 AM
Stared on Facebook the following:

I have been asked why I was willing to take a hit on my ACU and Civitas "Conservative" rankings to vote against giving the Sheriffs access to the NC Prescription Drug Database. There are a whole host of reasons, smaller, a less intrusive government being just one of them. Another reason, which I was told at the time was 'impossible,' is detailed in the following article from the Salt Lake Tribune:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55394413-78/murray-police-medication-couple.html.csp

Anti Federalist
12-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Stared on Facebook the following:

I have been asked why I was willing to take a hit on my ACU and Civitas "Conservative" rankings to vote against giving the Sheriffs access to the NC Prescription Drug Database. There are a whole host of reasons, smaller, a less intrusive government being just one of them. Another reason, which I was told at the time was 'impossible,' is detailed in the following article from the Salt Lake Tribune:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55394413-78/murray-police-medication-couple.html.csp

Doesn't being right about this shit all the time drive you nuts?

I know it does to me.

"Secret" government databases of your most personal medical records that cops can root around in whenever they feel like it, is not freedom.

Can we please just drop the pretense that we live in any kind of a free society anymore.

Cleaner44
12-08-2012, 12:33 PM
I like the idea of tons of people suing their local governments and police departments until their budgets are destroyed... leaving them with only enough to do the most minor functions. Budgets will be the Achilles heal for corrupt departments.

GunnyFreedom
12-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Doesn't being right about this shit all the time drive you nuts?

I know it does to me.

"Secret" government databases of your most personal medical records that cops can root around in whenever they feel like it, is not freedom.

Can we please just drop the pretense that we live in any kind of a free society anymore.

LOL ehh kinda, but I'm also a bit stoic about it.

I don't think anything we do will let this current society survive.

But I think most of our data will.

I think it's as important to be "on the record" as it is to try and stop the calamity.

Since the rebuilders (be they us or our children) will have access to the record, even losing the debate to propaganda or whatever, it is imperative to make the argument.

Anti Federalist
12-09-2012, 09:06 PM
I'll buy that.

LOL ehh kinda, but I'm also a bit stoic about it.

I don't think anything we do will let this current society survive.

But I think most of our data will.

I think it's as important to be "on the record" as it is to try and stop the calamity.

Since the rebuilders (be they us or our children) will have access to the record, even losing the debate to propaganda or whatever, it is imperative to make the argument.

tod evans
12-10-2012, 05:35 AM

Given the width and breadth of "government" these databases would be anything but secret...

I can't think of a worse place to release medical record to....