PDA

View Full Version : Does South Korean Rapper PSY Hate America?

Anti Federalist
12-07-2012, 06:21 PM
LOLOLOLOLOL

Does South Korean Rapper PSY Hate America?

http://923now.cbslocal.com/2012/12/07/does-south-korean-rapper-psy-hate-america/

PSY has been taking over America with his surprise smash hit “Gangnam Style” but there’s new information on the South Korean pop star that will soon change his popularity among U.S. fans.

It turns out PSY has been involved in several anti-American protest performances. According to Mediaite.com he smashed a model U.S. tank while onstage in 2002 to oppose 37,000 U.S. troops that descended on the Korean Peninsula.

A few years later, PSY cursed Americans after a South Korean missionary was executed. His song “Dear American” sets the record straight.

“Kill those f***ing Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives/Kill those f***ing Yankees who ordered them to torture/Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law and fathers/Kill them all slowly and painfully,” he raps.

VIDEO: PSY Explains What It Means To Go “Gangnam Style”

PSY is slated to perform for President Obama for a Christmas In Washington special to air on TNT Friday, December 21. As a result, a petition to rescind his invitation has been created by outraged Americans for his anti-American song lyrics.

Looks like PSY’s 15-minutes of fame are just about over.

UPDATE: PSY Apologizes

PSY has released a statement through his publicist Matthew Hiltzik apologizing for the words used in his song “Dear American.”

“As a proud South Korean who was educated in the United States and lived there for a very significant part of my life, I understand the sacrifices American servicemen and women have made to protect freedom and democracy in my country and around the world,” said Psy in a statement.”

Read PSY’s full statement HERE.

coastie
12-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Awww, 'mericans are upset their latest distraction only lasted for a month? Pathetic.

Anti Federalist
12-07-2012, 06:26 PM
South Korean Pop Star Criticizes US 'Bomb the World' Foreign Policy

Posted by Daniel McAdams on December 7, 2012 01:19 PM

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/127930.html

...the mob calls for his head:

See especially the snarky last line:

“Looks like PSY’s 15-minutes of fame are just about over.”

Admittedly his critique is crude hyperbole, but how to conclude that he "hates America" because he criticizes the US government's invasion of Iraq and its militaristic foreign policy? Here again is the media conflating the foreign policy of the US government with the US people. "America" is not the government. We are not yet the total state, despite the best efforts of some.

In fact, the suggestion that one should be denied a living for criticizing US government policy is far more anti-American than anything this Korean pop star has said.

UPDATE: In the great Stalin tradition, PSY has engaged in a round of recantation and self-criticism in attempt to salvage himself from the "people's court" which seeks to hang him. In a statement he released today, he said:

"As a proud South Korean who was educated in the United States and lived there for a very significant part of my life, I understand the sacrifices American servicemen and women have made to protect freedom and democracy in my country and around the world."

See, he really does love freedom!

Only 15 years hard labor.

aGameOfThrones
12-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Dear $$$$$$$$$, I'm sorry.

coastie
12-07-2012, 06:30 PM
I'd tell the people to fuck themselves, my comments stand. Another fake, more worried about money than the message.

ronpaulfollower999
12-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Uhoh...being anti-war is anti-American again.

furface
12-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Have a little spine why don't you, dude.

http://www.mercurynews.com/entertainment/ci_22147565/obama-attend-psy-performance-despite-protests

PSY attended college in the U.S. and says he understands the sacrifices U.S. military members have made to protect South Korea and other nations. He has recently performed in front of servicemen and women.

I guess he's gone mainstream and mainstream media has always been part of the military industrial complex.

anaconda
12-07-2012, 07:09 PM
I can't get enough! This is one of the most deliciously tacky things I have ever seen (on every imaginable level and aspect of production)! Enjoy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixsn81SqU6E&feature=g-logo-xit

July
12-07-2012, 07:22 PM
South Korean Pop Star Criticizes US 'Bomb the World' Foreign Policy...
Posted by Daniel McAdams

...the mob calls for his head:
See especially the snarky last line:
“Looks like PSY’s 15-minutes of fame are just about over.”
Admittedly his critique is crude hyperbole, but how to conclude that he "hates America" because he criticizes the US government's invasion of Iraq and its militaristic foreign policy? Here again is the media conflating the foreign policy of the US government with the US people. "America" is not the government. We are not yet the total state, despite the best efforts of some.
In fact, the suggestion that one should be denied a living for criticizing US government policy is far more anti-American than anything this Korean pop star has said.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/127930.html

compromise
12-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Talking about killing American soldiers and their innocent families is wrong, regardless of what the soldiers did.

I think the problem is more with what he said than what he actually feels.

Anti Federalist
12-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Talking about killing American soldiers and their innocent families is wrong, regardless of what the soldiers did.

An understandable reaction after the world watched our guys laugh at the "bug splat" and so on...

Possibly.

A ridiculous tempest in a teapot I think, but whatever, it's still fun to watch the meltdown.

pochy1776
12-08-2012, 12:53 AM
Psy could have used his gangnam fame to sa ythat america should get out of korea.

Confederate
12-08-2012, 01:06 AM
Psy could have used his gangnam fame to sa ythat america should get out of korea.

Why would he? America guaranteeing South Korea's defense means they don't have to spend as much on their own military, meaning lower taxes for Psy.

KrokHead
12-08-2012, 04:42 AM
Gangnam Style Sucks

ghengis86
12-08-2012, 06:29 AM
Gangnam Style Sucks

I think it's great. He's mocking the the South Korean elites from Gangnam. And the video is ridiculous and hilarious.

PSY just needs a little conviction and to stop kissing ass

tod evans
12-08-2012, 07:57 AM
Does South Korean Rapper PSY Hate America?

Don't know, don't really care.

I despise rap music and don't intend to ever listen to his rhetoric.

Jeremy
12-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Awww, 'mericans are upset their latest distraction only lasted for a month? Pathetic.Nonsense. The song became the number one video on YouTube in a very short period of time. The success of the video is very impressive.

nobody's_hero
12-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Good, that song got old the 100th time I heard it in one day.

coastie
12-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Nonsense. The song became the number one video on YouTube in a very short period of time. The success of the video is very impressive.

And this has, what, to do with my comment?

matt0611
12-08-2012, 11:21 AM

This. I don't think people would have cared if he was just calling out America, war, imperialism, etc

I think its good that he opposed the war, but talking or singing about killing soldiers' families slowly is wrong though, that's just sick.

Jeremy
12-08-2012, 11:31 AM
And this has, what, to do with my comment?It's not merely a "distraction." The level of virality it hit is pretty amazing when you think about it. It almost has a billion views, which is 1/7th of the Earth. It's a pretty big deal.

Nirvikalpa
12-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Would have had a lot of respect for him if he continued to have a pair. Instead he chopped them off and served them to the American populace.

Petar
12-08-2012, 11:57 AM
http://global3.memecdn.com/gangnam-style_c_919010.jpg

anaconda
12-08-2012, 08:15 PM
The horsey thing just slays me.

anaconda
12-08-2012, 08:27 PM
It's not merely a "distraction." The level of virality it hit is pretty amazing when you think about it. It almost has a billion views, which is 1/7th of the Earth. It's a pretty big deal.

Yeah, but about 700 million were just my views.

alucard13mmfmj
12-08-2012, 09:00 PM
gangnam style video is alright. watched it when it was just 2million views =p. but im sick of it. also, for some reason... all those gangnam style parodies make me angry o_o. Dont know why.

EBounding
12-08-2012, 09:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQhIMFy-stM

Coppercab was rite!!!! :eek:

Brian4Liberty
12-09-2012, 12:59 AM
It appears that PSY advocates killing innocent people. Why does that sound familiar?

Is he Lindsey Graham's secret lover?

kcchiefs6465
12-09-2012, 02:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQhIMFy-stM

Coppercab was rite!!!! :eek:
Why does this kid remind me of Alex Jones?

coastie
12-09-2012, 12:11 PM
It's not merely a "distraction." The level of virality it hit is pretty amazing when you think about it. It almost has a billion views, which is 1/7th of the Earth. It's a pretty big deal.

Again...this has nothing to do with my comment. I agree with you on what you said, I was just pointing out how quickly people turn on things without thinking.

And a billion views does not = a billion people watched it. Trust me, my daughter accounts for at least 6 million of those views....at least.

Lucille
12-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Greenwald:

The PSY scandal: singing about killing people v. constantly doing it
Americans would benefit from less outrage at anti-US sentiment and more energy toward understanding why it's so widespread
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/dec/08/psy-lyrics-anti-us-anger

Whatever else one wants to say, the US is a country that, for more than a decade, has loudly and continuously declared itself to be a "nation at war". It's not "at war" in any one county, but in many countries around the globe.

In the last four years alone, it has used drones to end people's lives in six predominantly Muslim country (probably more). Under its Nobel Peace Prize-winning leader, it has repeatedly wiped out entire families (including just this week), slaughtered dozens of children at a time, targeted and killed people rescuing and grieving its victims, and either deliberately or recklessly dropped bombs on teenagers (including its own citizens), then justified it with the most foul and morally deranged rationale.

It embraces and props up the world's most repressive tyrants. It isolates itself from the world and embraces blatant double standards in order to enable the worst behavior of its client states. It continues to maintain a global network of prisons where people are kept indefinitely in cages with no charges. It exempts itself and its leaders from the international institutions of justice while demanding that the leaders of other, less powerful states be punished there. And it is currently in the process of suffocating a nation of 75 million people with an increasingly sadistic sanctions regime, while proudly boasting about it and threatening more.

It spent years imprisoning even Muslim journalists with no charges. And then there's that little fact about how, less than a decade ago, it created a worldwide torture regime and then launched an aggressive war that destroyed a nation of 26 million people, one that led to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent human beings.

Those are all just facts. And while there is no shortage of Americans willing to step up and dutifully justify some or all of those acts, it's so astonishing to watch people express surprise and bewilderment and anger when they discover that this behavior causes people in the world to intensely dislike the United States.

If you want your country to rule the world as an aggressive and militaristic empire, then accept the inevitable consequence of that: that there will be huge numbers of people in the world who resent and even hate your country for that behavior. Don't cheer while your country constantly kills, invades, occupies, and dominates the internal affairs of countless other nations - and then expect to be liked. Immorality aside, producing this reaction is one reason not to do such things. This kind of imperial behavior, inevitably and in every era, generates extreme levels of animosity and, ultimately, returned violence. That's why George Washington, in his 1796 Farewell Address, warned against all of this:

"[N]othing is more essential than that permanent, inveterate antipathies against particular nations, and passionate attachments for others, should be excluded; and that, in place of them, just and amicable feelings towards all should be cultivated. The nation which indulges towards another a habitual hatred or a habitual fondness is in some degree a slave. . . .

"Antipathy in one nation against another disposes each more readily to offer insult and injury, to lay hold of slight causes of umbrage, and to be haughty and intractable, when accidental or trifling occasions of dispute occur. Hence, frequent collisions, obstinate, envenomed, and bloody contests."
[...]
Obviously, artistic license or not, what is advocated by the lyrics sung by PSY (attacking and torturing the family members of US soldiers) cannot be justified, just as the targeting of innocent civilians on 9/11 cannot be. Still, singing about killing innocent people is not in the same universe as doing it, yet many Americans infuriated about the former express little if any condemnation of the latter when done by their own government. More to the point, to react to expressions of extreme anti-American sentiments - including the desire to harm US soldiers - as though they're the slightest bit surprising or irrational is itself warped and irrational.

Extreme animosity toward the US continues to be the rule, not the exception, in the Arab and Muslim world, and, especially at the time these lyrics were sung by PSY, was pervasive in South Korea as well. There are actual reasons for this, many of which are quite rational.

We like to tell ourselves that anti-American animosity is produced by propaganda from foreign factions hostile to the US. Actually, that belief is the one that is the by-product of propaganda. The acts of the US government that generate this hostility are rarely discussed in US political discourse, though they are widely discussed in most of the rest of the world. Americans would benefit from spending much less time and energy expressing outrage and offense at anti-American sentiment, and far more time and energy trying to understand why it's so widespread and intense.