PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Mike Lee calls for Flat Tax

itshappening
12-07-2012, 03:38 PM
United States Senator Mike Lee shared a link.
3 hours ago

Our tax code should accomplish two goals:
1. It should fund the government.
2. It should accurately communicate the cost of government to voters.

Our current tax code fails to accomplish either of these goals. A flat tax would generate
a more predictable and stable tax revenue stream. It also allows everyone to pay a fair share of the cost of government. Instead of arguing to raise tax rates on a small group of Americans, we should be having a discussion on what kind of tax code will work better for all Americans. Everyone agrees that our current tax code is a disaster, and raising rates on a small group of Americans will only further complicate an already complicated tax code.

https://www.facebook.com/senatormikelee

matt0611
12-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Sounds fine to me. I don't like a progressive tax system. Obama and the Dems would never agree to it though, no way.

HOLLYWOOD
12-07-2012, 03:46 PM
All those special interest that bribe, uh pay, uh donate, to the prostitutes, uh politician's campaigns... have spent 100s of milions for the tax law with progressive complexity and obfuscate the ~75,000 pages of tax code that delivers to the donors.

I say a flat tax with the first $15K tax free... no writeoffs, no special interest, but then the politicians lose their "Power of the Purse"

Never happen... and Americans are too ignorant or stupid to realize how this game is played.

paulbot24
12-07-2012, 04:02 PM
He's right, our tax code "should" fund the government. However, how does that work when you are using a debt-based fiat system? Once you are this far in debt, the interest on the debt is so massive that 100% taxation could not fix this.

Zippyjuan
12-07-2012, 08:18 PM
A flat tax would have to get rid of all exemptions and deductions. There are far too many interests in favor of their own deductions to be able to get rid of them.

Just out of curiosity- the US population is about 300 million and the budget about $3 trillion so if everybody chips in, the average person needs to cough up $10,000- including kids and grannie who aren't working. Actually the number of tax filers (taxpayers) is about 150,000,000 so that really rasies it to $20,000 on a median household income of something like $50,000 a year.