PDA

View Full Version : Judge Napolitano - "DeMint will bring libertarians back into the GOP"

Matt Collins
12-06-2012, 11:21 PM
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/12/06/judge_napolitano_jim_demint_will_be_able_to_bring_ libertarians_back_in_the_gop.html

Matt Collins
12-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Reason seems to think so too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=89kx4hBrBrE

Article - http://reason.com/blog/2012/12/06/will-jim-demint-bring-a-libertarian-flav

muzzled dogg
12-06-2012, 11:27 PM
It is doubtful that he brings libertarians to heritage much less the GOP

But should be interesting

angelatc
12-06-2012, 11:31 PM
I hope the Judge is right. Heritage has some good papers on economic arguments, but that's about as far as I go.

LibertyEagle
12-07-2012, 12:13 AM
Demint never came around on foreign policy though, did he?

Matt Collins
12-07-2012, 12:15 AM
Demint never came around on foreign policy though, did he?He's getting closer and closer.

Yieu
12-07-2012, 12:40 AM
He's getting closer and closer.

Foreign policy is the #1 issue for many of us, and a deal breaker if someone is too willing to allow current wars to continue at all or would be willing to start new wars of aggression. Closer is not good enough. There is no liberty involved in going around killing people recklessly. Either he's with us 100% on this, or he's not.

Feeding the Abscess
12-07-2012, 03:18 AM
DeMint only wants libertarians in the GOP to back conservative causes, never the other way around. The same old story that has been going on for 80 years.

compromise
12-07-2012, 06:08 AM
DeMint only wants libertarians in the GOP to back conservative causes, never the other way around. The same old story that has been going on for 80 years.

You mean like sound money? Like withdrawal from Afghanistan? Like staying out of Libya? Like protecting civil liberties? Like defending Internet freedom?

Genuine American conservatism IS libertarianism.

kathy88
12-07-2012, 06:43 AM
Demint never came around on foreign policy though, did he?
Neither did Heritage. It will be a perfect fit.

wgadget
12-07-2012, 08:11 AM
DeMint is gonna be a pseudo proponent for "liberty." In actuality, he's just gonna become another highly paid career lobbyist. Meh.

compromise
12-07-2012, 09:04 AM
DeMint is gonna be a pseudo proponent for "liberty." In actuality, he's just gonna become another highly paid career lobbyist. Meh.

A strongly fiscal conservative lobbyist isn't a bad thing.

supermario21
12-07-2012, 09:13 AM
I think some of you guys need to lighten up. Jim DeMint 2012 is much friendlier to liberty than 2004 Jim DeMint. When you have a guy openly saying we need to bring libertarians into the fold you listen. He's not saying let's move left, he's saying let's move in our direction. Remember when Ron said we will be the tent eventually, we need to be more tolerant on letting some of these people move gradually our way. Look at how Amash has suddenly become a hero to grassroots conservatives over the establishment screwing over conservatives. You don't think that will benefit us down the line? We're not going to magically change the government in a day, but it's measurable progress.

torchbearer
12-07-2012, 09:31 AM
DeMint only wants libertarians in the GOP to back conservative causes, never the other way around. The same old story that has been going on for 80 years. There are some on this forum that expect the LP to help every one of their causes, but doesn't bother helping any LP causes. A bunch of one way relationships.

donnay
12-07-2012, 09:49 AM
I love Judge Nap but I am going to have to disagree with him on this issue. DeMint is just more of the same--and by going over to the Heritage Foundation just made my decision of him that much more solid.

thoughtomator
12-07-2012, 09:52 AM
The problem with the GOP is that the leadership sucks, and I don't see how one of the best Senators we have resigning can be a step along the path to changing it.

More likely, DeMint knows TS is going to HTF and doesn't want to be there to take the blame when it does.

roho76
12-07-2012, 10:04 AM
If you can't see the economic disasters of war then I don't want to hear it. I'm sick of the GOP and their bullshit, economics, fiscal cliff, nonsense, when they can't see this 600lbs gorilla right in their face. F*ck them.

LibertyEagle
12-07-2012, 10:11 AM
If you can't see the economic disasters of war then I don't want to hear it. I'm sick of the GOP and their bullshit, economics, fiscal cliff, nonsense, when they can't see this 600lbs gorilla right in their face. F*ck them.

Remember that some of our guys are in that GOP.

pcosmar
12-07-2012, 10:21 AM

Remember that some of our guys are in that GOP.

A coat of new paint might sell a termite infested home,, but it needs to be demolished and burned.
All the whitewash will not make it structurally sound.

pcosmar
12-07-2012, 10:21 AM
Glitch again

NIU Students for Liberty
12-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Heritage never came around to advocating a non-interventionist foreign policy and I don't expect them to now. As someone earlier stated in this thread, foreign policy is a deal breaker for me. Hell, I'd take Cato over Heritage at this point.

compromise
12-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Heritage never came around to advocating a non-interventionist foreign policy and I don't expect them to now. As someone earlier stated in this thread, foreign policy is a deal breaker for me. Hell, I'd take Cato over Heritage at this point.

Heritage never will come around to advocating a non-interventionist foreign policy. They will, however, come around to advocating a less-interventionist foreign policy and that can only be a good thing.

Yieu
12-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Heritage never will come around to advocating a non-interventionist foreign policy. They will, however, come around to advocating a less-interventionist foreign policy and that can only be a good thing.

What I think you mean is a still-interventionist foreign policy. Which means still going around killing innocents, still having permanent bases both wasting our money and harassing the politics of other nations in which the bases are installed. I don't think 75% killing is much better than 100% killing -- people are still dying, and that is what needs to be stopped.

If a serial killer goes from killing 20 people per year to 10 people per year, is that really an improvement?

BAllen
12-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Foreign policy is the #1 issue for many of us, and a deal breaker if someone is too willing to allow current wars to continue at all or would be willing to start new wars of aggression. Closer is not good enough. There is no liberty involved in going around killing people recklessly. Either he's with us 100% on this, or he's not.

That 'all or nothing' attitude will get us nowhere.

Yieu
12-07-2012, 03:33 PM
That 'all or nothing' attitude will get us nowhere.

Compromise will get us more of the same. Compromise on this particular issue means allowing the deaths of numerous innocents, and that will get us nowhere. That is not progress toward liberty.

Feeding the Abscess
12-07-2012, 05:21 PM
DeMint apologists:

Please show me DeMint's sterling voting record when Democrats weren't in control of the Senate and/or White House.

Hint: You won't find it

Southerner
12-08-2012, 11:20 PM
"He's now the most powerful Republican in town. He has an extraordinary megaphone. This is not inside the beltway story. This is a Jim DeMint is the leader of the conservative Republicans in the country story. And they could haven't a nicer, more true to core values, or more articulate spokesman than they have as of today. Ask me if I'm happy."

Thanks!

Occam's Banana
12-08-2012, 11:56 PM
If a serial killer goes from killing 20 people per year to 10 people per year, is that really an improvement?

Yes. It is an improvement.

(Just ask any one of the 10 people who end up not being killed ...)

KCIndy
12-09-2012, 12:06 AM

I guess it would be for the ten people he *didn't* kill.... ;)

But from a moral perspective, your point is quite valid.

EDIT: Dang it all, Occam, ya beat me to it. That's what I get for taking a snack break before hitting the "post" button.... :(

Occam's Banana
12-09-2012, 12:14 AM
Dang it all, Occam, ya beat me to it. That's what I get for taking a snack break before hitting the "post" button.... :(

:p:D