PDA

View Full Version : Why do stoners use the word 'Hemp'? Hempfest, etc.

itshappening
12-06-2012, 10:07 PM
it doesn't help the cause of legalizing industrial hemp when kids in Washington state are using the word 'hemp' to refer to marijuana

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9728034/Washington-state-lights-up-as-smoking-marijuana-becomes-legal.html

It blurs the difference between the two and allows the drug warriors to block incremental federal legalization of industrial Hemp rather than full blown decriminalization of marijuana which is politically more difficult to pull off.

What's the difference between hemp and marijuana?

http://host.madison.com/what-s-the-difference-between-hemp-and-marijuana/article_fb7c0968-3122-11df-a8de-001cc4c03286.html

twomp
12-06-2012, 10:15 PM
I hang around with a lot of people who smoke pot. I hardly ever hear them use the word "hemp". I would blame the television for that perception.

ghengis86
12-06-2012, 10:20 PM
I hang around with a lot of people who smoke pot. I hardly ever hear them use the word "hemp". I would blame the television for that perception.

Agreed. Ganj seems to be the parlance over here. That or MJ, weed, chronic, the chrons...I don't think I've ever heard anybody call it hemp now that I think about it.

itshappening
12-06-2012, 10:32 PM
They do use the word Hemp, look at Hempfest in Seattle for one. And in the article it's called hemp too.

confusing the lines like I said and doesn't help industrial hemp.

presence
12-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Q. What is Seattle Hempfest about?

A.
Human rights. Equality. Freedom. We believe that adults in a free society deserve the right to make their own educated and informed choices about what they put into their own bodies. We believe that those important health choices should be made based upon truthful and accurate information. Of course Hempfest is about cannabis — industrial hemp, medical marijuana and recreational use by otherwise law abiding, responsible adults — but since Hempfest is a political rally and demonstration against America’s laws criminalizing and imprisoning people who use cannabis, we see Hempfest as about freedom first, and the cannabis plant second.

Q. What is Hempfest trying to achieve?

A. Several things. Seattle Hempfest advocates the decriminalization of marijuana for responsible adults, legal access to medical marijuana for patients who could be benefited by cannabis, and legal domestic hemp production. By producing a king size world class event Hempfest is demonstrating that cannabis enthusiasts can be as responsible, professional, and successful as anyone else. Hempfest features extensive educational and informational content presented by some of the nation’s leading experts in the field of marijuana policy reform. We hope that all of this is contributing to the healthy, informed and energized local and national movement to change America’s pot laws.

Q. It's called Hempfest, why isn't it more about industrial hemp?

A. Hempfest features an area and stage called the Hemposium that features exhibits, displays, demonstrations, panel discussions and featured speakers on the issues that include industrial hemp and its many uses. There are many hemp product vendors at Hempfest to choose from. But any serious discussion about domestic industrial hemp production will inevitably end up at the Drug War. As Americans, we feel equally passionate about industrial hemp, medical marijuana and responsible adult recreational use. If you have hemp information or something for our displays or demonstrations that pertain to industrial hemp, please contact us.

Q. Is Hempfest a political rally, a concert or arts and crafts fair?

A. Yes. Hempfest is first and foremost a political protest rally seeking to change America’s pot laws and to educate the public on the many uses of the cannabis plant. Hempfest is a protestival.

http://www.hempfest.org/about/faq/

twomp
12-06-2012, 10:36 PM
They do use the word Hemp, look at Hempfest in Seattle for one. And in the article it's called hemp too.

I'm sure they've used the word some time in their lives before but I don't think it's a word that is very commonly used among pot smokers. I think you hear the use of that word more often in the media. Newspaper articles and televisions shows etc... It creates this perception that weed = hemp. The reality is pot smokers rarely use that word or even confuse it for weed.

muzzled dogg
12-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Isn't the stalk of the plant where hemp fiber comes from?

Vs the bud of the flower of only the female plant is where the psychoactives come from?

itshappening
12-06-2012, 10:39 PM
I think the hempfest people should not confuse the two and promote this misconception.

Industrial hemp is easier to legalize than to decriminalize marijuana.

If you put both together as an advocacy position it makes it more difficult to achieve one or the other.

mad cow
12-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Maybe we could get the stoners to call industrial hemp,industrial chronic...to end the confusion.

dannno
12-06-2012, 10:45 PM
lol, I think the OP is a bit confused :D

Nobody is calling cannabis with high thc levels hemp. It is merely incidental (for obviously reasons) that people who smoke herb also support industrial hemp.

Hempfest does in fact primarily celebrate the use of industrial hemp. It is merely incidental (for obvious reasons) that people who support industrial hemp also smoke herb.

presence
12-06-2012, 10:46 PM
I think the hempfest people should not confuse the two and promote this misconception.

If you put both together as an advocacy position it makes it more difficult to achieve one or the other.

I'm not sure the promoters of the event see it as an either or issue:

Hempfest is a political rally and demonstration against America’s laws criminalizing and imprisoning people who use cannabis, we see Hempfest as about freedom first, and the cannabis plant second.

bolil
12-06-2012, 10:50 PM
hmmm, this post makes me wonder... why do we partakers call it weed, pot, dope, ganja, fluffy, herb, green, god's leaf, funny smoke... etc. We should demand a simplified, and enforced, nomenclature.

LibertyEagle
12-06-2012, 10:51 PM
lol, I think the OP is a bit confused :D

Nobody is calling cannabis with high thc levels hemp. It is merely incidental (for obviously reasons) that people who smoke herb also support industrial hemp.

Hempfest does in fact primarily celebrate the use of industrial hemp. It is merely incidental (for obvious reasons) that people who support industrial hemp also smoke herb.

No, he's right. From Hempfest's own declaration:

Of course Hempfest is about cannabis — industrial hemp, medical marijuana and recreational use by otherwise law abiding, responsible adults

They are mixing messages and it isn't helpful.

presence
12-06-2012, 11:00 PM

I see one message: Cannabis Liberty, there's nothing confusing about it: Adults, free will, liberty, cannabis.

Do they need a recreational marijuana liberty fest, and a hemp liberty fest, and a medical marijuana liberty fest each on seperate days?

Do you think the recreational marijuana liberty fest would get a permit?

I see it as cover. Yeah they're holding a "hemp fest" because anyone present can "claim" they're there to support industrial hemp in a time when possession of minuscule amounts of any cannabis can get you imprisoned. Its easier to get people to come out of the woodwork for the event if they don't have to overtly specifically support recreational usage.

Victor Grey
12-06-2012, 11:00 PM
I'd agree it would be a much more useful strategy, to not mix the two together, and simply move solely for legalization of actual industrial hemp, separate of any other associated burdens.

While it wouldn't be a particular golden ticket by any means, I do feel that if people were fine with industrial hemp, legalizing the production of industrial hemp, wouldn't hurt the legalization movement and could in fact be of some marginal benefits.

The association of the two just slows one down, and doesn't do particularly as much in perspective, for the other.

LibertyEagle
12-06-2012, 11:01 PM
I see one message: Cannabis Liberty, there's nothing confusing about it: Adults, free will, liberty, cannabis.

Do they need a recreational marijuana liberty fest, and a hemp liberty fest, and a medical marijuana liberty fest each on seperate days?

Do you think the recreational marijuana liberty fest would get a permit?

I see it as cover. Yeah they're holding a "hemp fest" because anyone present can "claim" they're there to support industrial hemp in a time when possession of minuscule amounts of any cannabis can get you imprisoned. Its easier to get people to come out of the woodwork for the event if they don't have to overtly specifically support recreational usage.

Yes, and they are mixing messages which is what the OP claimed. It is making it harder to get hemp legalized.

fr33
12-06-2012, 11:07 PM
It shouldn't matter. Hemp is no better or worse than the digestible variety of the species.

LibertyEagle
12-06-2012, 11:19 PM
It shouldn't matter. Hemp is no better or worse than the digestible variety of the species.

However, rope and other things can be made from hemp. Pot, people smoke for the most part for a recreational high.

These are two very different things in the minds of a lot of Americans. So, perhaps starting with hemp legalization would be a good step.

LibertyEagle
12-06-2012, 11:22 PM
Isn't the stalk of the plant where hemp fiber comes from?

Vs the bud of the flower of only the female plant is where the psychoactives come from?

My understanding is that they are two different varieties of the plant.

bolil
12-06-2012, 11:26 PM
the only varietal difference between hemp and "pot" is the part of the plant used.

NewRightLibertarian
12-06-2012, 11:34 PM

I disagree. Marijuana legalization is catching on and becoming a popular issue. Both issues are winners and marketing them together is a strategy worth pursuing.

dannno
12-06-2012, 11:38 PM

No, he's not right. Hempfest promoters may promote the legalization of cannabis, but they don't call psychoactive cannabis hemp. Hempfest is the name of the festival out of tradition from when cannabis was illegal.

I don't see any point in trying to prevent people who believe in legalization of hemp from promoting legalization of cannabis as well. They are both the same issue when viewed from the context of freedom. When viewed from the context of one can and inebriate a person and the other can't, it becomes yet another issue which can be supported but you will find a very narrow window and thus a very small number of people who only support the legalization of hemp for this issue.

parocks
12-06-2012, 11:48 PM
However, rope and other things can be made from hemp. Pot, people smoke for the most part for a recreational high.

These are two very different things in the minds of a lot of Americans. So, perhaps starting with hemp legalization would be a good step.

Marijuana referendums often pass. It really isn't worth revising. If the truth was told, and the people voted on it, it'd pass everywhere. So, spend all that time trying now to differentiate between hemp and marijuana, when you could be pushing the truth about it. They'll say hemp is marijuana, anyway.

Right now it seems like a no brainer, we have budget problems, we can't afford housing those in jail, court costs, police, when the alternatives are just wins. Only drug dealers and big government benefit.

Marijuana is a great issue for certain social conservatives. Get out front for legalization, and whatever pro life, anti gay marriage positions you might have might go over better with some. It appears that in Maine, all Conservatives are seen by Liberals as preachers and preachers aren't popular in Maine. And I don't see that trend changing, but possibly accelerating, and the Republican brand, which is basically the same as the Dems, ban those things you don't like, and criticize the other guys for banning things you like, often appeals to an older, more rural demo, based on the tastes and preferences of older, more rural people.

If we grabbed pro Marijuana, we wouldn't lose the rural vote, but we could make gains with the urban vote. I think Ron Paul did that, and it could work in the Northeast especially.

I also think instrumental arguments would work in the Northeast, as opposed to moral ones. Social security and population growth and abortions, gay marriage, transsexuals. We're going to start having a real problem with Social Security which works fine when the number of young people working is much higher than the number of old retirees, but when it isn't, there's a problem. And where are all the young people, why aren't there more? Why is it that everyone has to work 5 more years? And then the social issues come in.

Republicans could benefit by just, generally, being cooler.

dannno
12-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Yes, and they are mixing messages which is what the OP claimed. It is making it harder to get hemp legalized.

I'm going to disagree with you.

I think that if you separated the issues, hemp would get left behind and you would have is legal cannabis first.

WA just legalized cannabis, not hemp.

CO legalized both, but not because of people's love for hemp.

Confederate
12-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Probably too stoned to know the difference.

LibertyEagle
12-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Whatever works, guys. I just see it differently. But, if it works promoting them together, it's all good.

pcosmar
12-07-2012, 12:07 AM

There are a lot of names for the same plant.
It was referred to as hemp for years,, though not as commonly.
Hemp is Cannabis. Marijuana is Cannabis.

Cannabis is cannabis. Industrial hemp is the same plant, though grown for stalks and seed rather than Buds.

I have heard some people say that there is no THC in industrial Hemp. This is simply untrue. It is commonly a lower level but still present in the plant.
Just legalize the damn plant, and quit with the bullshit on both sides of the argument.

dannno
12-07-2012, 12:14 AM
It is my understanding that there are varieties of sativa that are extremely low in THC, such that one would need to smoke a joint the size of a telephone poll to get high.

However I've never had any experience with any sativas anywhere near that low in THC so I can't say for sure. I've heard you can find it in Iowa on the side of the road.

kcchiefs6465
12-07-2012, 12:24 AM

Do you think it is the hempfest promoter's fault for said misconception.. or the decades of U.S. propaganda? Maybe they are bringing light to the fact that there is the misconception. I've also never heard of someone trying to advocate for industrial hemp put legalizing marijuana into the same boat. Generally they try to distance marijuana from hemp. Explain the differences, THC levels, uses etc.

Dark_Horse_Rider
12-07-2012, 12:30 AM
Maybe we could get the stoners to call industrial hemp,industrial chronic...to end the confusion.

this

dannno
12-07-2012, 12:31 AM
I have this breed of vanilla kush x purple kush that I selectively bred and grow myself. It is a fucking incredible indica, amazing flavor, let me tell you.

pcosmar
12-07-2012, 12:32 AM
It is my understanding that there are varieties of sativa that are extremely low in THC, such that one would need to smoke a joint the size of a telephone poll to get high.

However I've never had any experience with any sativas anywhere near that low in THC so I can't say for sure. I've heard you can find it in Iowa on the side of the road.

There are lower grade varieties,, the pot sold commercially 30 or 40 years ago was much lower that the buds available today.
Folks have been developing both plant strains and growing techniques.

I had a friend that worked in a lab years ago,, doing just that. (government research)
They were attempting to create a stronger hemp plant without THC. Everything they did to make a stronger plant also increased THC levels.
Colchicine treatments came from that study, The triangular seeds (polyploid) are a result of that. (thank you USGov)

All cannabis has THC. It takes effort and care to grow the good stuff.

Dark_Horse_Rider
12-07-2012, 12:32 AM

what is marijuana ? when and why for the name change ?

why isnt it called by its proper name cannabis ?

kcchiefs6465
12-07-2012, 12:33 AM

Cannabis ruderalis is generally what you find on the side of the road. (though they've done a pretty damn good job eradicating it) All male cannabis plants produce very little THC (whether that be ruderalis, indica, or sativa) I'll save going into too much detail except to say, sativas have very long skinny leaves, grow tall, and have a more energetic kind of buzz. Indicas grow short and stout, have smaller and thicker leaves, and give you a more 'couch lock' kind of buzz. People don't generally smoke ruderalis.

kcchiefs6465
12-07-2012, 12:34 AM
There are lower grade varieties,, the pot sold commercially 30 or 40 years ago was much lower that the buds available today.
Folks have been developing both plant strains and growing techniques.

I had a friend that worked in a lab years ago,, doing just that. (government research)
They were attempting to create a stronger hemp plant without THC. Everything they did to make a stronger plant also increased THC levels.
Colchicine treatments came from that study, The triangular seeds (polyploid) are a result of that. (thank you USGov)

All cannabis has THC. It takes effort and care to grow the good stuff.
What do you mean 'triangular seeds?'

pcosmar
12-07-2012, 12:37 AM
Generally they try to distance marijuana from hemp. Explain the differences, THC levels, uses etc.

That is politics.
Dishonesty in action.
Even though I agree with the goal (legalization) I disagree with the method.
I would prefer honest education, though countering decades of propaganda, and the industries that have grown around the WAR is a formidable task.

Dark_Horse_Rider
12-07-2012, 12:37 AM
I have this breed of vanilla kush x purple kush that I selectively bred and grow myself. It is a fucking incredible indica, amazing flavor, let me tell you.

always wondered the lineage of fucking incredible, cheers !

kcchiefs6465
12-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Apparently the varietes have lower than .2% THC and between 1-5% CBDs. I knew it was low but damn..

pcosmar
12-07-2012, 12:45 AM
What do you mean 'triangular seeds?'

Seeds that are triangular,, three sided, rather than oval. They are slightly larger than normal seeds.

dannno
12-07-2012, 12:47 AM
what is marijuana ? when and why for the name change ?

why isnt it called by its proper name cannabis ?

Marijuana was what the immigrants from Mexico called it back in the early part of the century. Various corporations decided they wanted hemp banned (Dupont, Hearst Logging, among others). They owned big media and they put out movies and propaganda about the 'devil weed' 'marihuana' causing people to murder, rape, etc. and on top of all that they tied it to Mexican immigration.

Once 'marihuana' was banned federally, suddenly there was a defacto ban on hemp and most people and most hemp farmers I imagine didn't even realize what had happened until it was too late.

So the term marijuana is the result of government propaganda, and MOST people who smoke herb don't like to use that word MOST of the time, but may refer to it as that rhetorically.

mad cow
12-07-2012, 12:48 AM

I don't understand this reference,colchicine has been around for a long,long time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colchicine

Signed,A long time gout sufferer.

Dark_Horse_Rider
12-07-2012, 12:51 AM
Marijuana was what the immigrants from Mexico called it back in the early part of the century. Various corporations decided they wanted hemp banned (Dupont, Hearst Logging, among others). They owned big media and they put out movies and propaganda about the 'devil weed' 'marihuana' causing people to murder, rape, etc. and on top of all that they tied it to Mexican immigration.

Once 'marihuana' was banned federally, suddenly there was a defacto ban on hemp and most people and most hemp farmers I imagine didn't even realize what had happened until it was too late.

So the term marijuana is the result of government propaganda, and MOST people who smoke herb don't like to use that word MOST of the time, but may refer to it as that rhetorically.

that makes sensee

thanks danno

kcchiefs6465
Seeds that are triangular,, three sided, rather than oval. They are slightly larger than normal seeds.
I have yet to see. I've seen my share of tigers and albinos but three sided? Are you referring to feminized? (Which I have not seen)

AGRP
Hemp, marijuana...who cares? Legalize them both.

kcchiefs6465
12-07-2012, 12:58 AM

"Here we have drug that is not like opium. Opium has all of the good of Dr. Jekyll and all the evil of Mr. Hyde. This drug is entirely the monster Hyde, the harmful effect of which cannot be measured. Some people will fly into a delirious rage, and they are temporarily irresponsible and may commit violent crimes. Other people will laugh uncontrollably. It is impossible to say what the effect will be on any individual. Those research men who have tried it have always been under control. They have always insisted upon that. … It is dangerous to the mind and body, and particularly dangerous to the criminal type, because it releases all of the inhibitions."- Harry J Anslinger

"How many murders, suicides, robberies, criminal assaults, holdups, burglaries and deeds of maniacal insanity it causes each year, especially among the young, can only be conjectured...No one knows, when he places a marijuana cigarette to his lips, whether he will become a joyous reveller in a musical heaven, a mad insensate, a calm philosopher, or a murderer..."- Harry J Anslinger

"Most marijuana smokers are Negroes, Hispanics, jazz musicians, and entertainers. Their satanic music is driven by marijuana, and marijuana smoking by white women makes them want to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and others. It is a drug that causes insanity, criminality, and death — the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind."- Harry J Anslinger

And let's not forget Reefer Madness being released in 1936. The hemp growers didn't stand a chance.

pcosmar
12-07-2012, 12:59 AM
I don't understand this reference,colchicine has been around for a long,long time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colchicine

Signed,A long time gout sufferer.

I has several uses..
One of which is in altering plants (genetically). I'm old,, my friend was older than me,, these studies were 40 or more years ago.
Conversations about it were 30 or more years ago.

The bottom line,, from their research, any and everything done to the plant to increase it's strength (fibers) also increased the THC levels.

kcchiefs6465
12-07-2012, 01:00 AM
Hemp, marijuana...who cares? Legalize them both.
Try explaining that to my grandmother. She was indoctrinated around the Reefer Madness days. Considered it a sign from hell that medicinal marijuana was legalized in Arizona.

dannno
12-07-2012, 01:02 AM
Are you referring to feminized? (Which I have not seen)

There's a lot of conflicting info out there, but I've successfully made feminized seeds with a purple kush hermaphrodite (which produced purple kush hermaphrodite seeds) and crossed it with several other strains (females) which then has produced feminized seeds (every plant I've grown so far is female, so I don't have to throw away nearly half the plants like you normally would, which is especially costly for an indoor grow)

mad cow
12-07-2012, 01:03 AM
Ah,thanks,I thought getting it from pot,not giving it to pot.Sorry for the confusion.

kcchiefs6465
12-07-2012, 01:09 AM
There's a lot of conflicting info out there, but I've successfully made feminized seeds with a purple kush hermaphrodite (which produced purple kush hermaphrodite seeds) and crossed it with several other strains (females) which then has produced feminized seeds (every plant I've grown so far is female, so I don't have to throw away nearly half the plants like you normally would, which is especially costly for an indoor grow)
Have you ever heard of anyone trying gerbillic acid on a female clone branch? They say spray a female clone branch with gerbillic acid and tie a bag around it. They say it should produce 99.9% female seeds. I've heard you can do this on two to three branches a clone and have hundreds of seeds a branch. Never really tried it myself.

kcchiefs6465
12-07-2012, 01:12 AM
Also, not to turn this in a garden thread, but I've read that a hermaphrodite plant does not produce THC on the scale a regular female would. Kind of like they've been pollinated yet they haven't. Have you heard of any variances in what a regular crop might yield (THC wise) and a hermaphrodite crop might yield?

parocks
12-07-2012, 02:09 AM
Try explaining that to my grandmother. She was indoctrinated around the Reefer Madness days. Considered it a sign from hell that medicinal marijuana was legalized in Arizona.

how old?

kcchiefs6465
12-07-2012, 02:34 AM
how old?

PauliticsPolitics
12-07-2012, 05:32 AM
FYI:
Many of these "hempfest" type things use the "hemp" name to satisfy local authorities.
Many years ago, these sort of festivals were all call "Weedfest", or the like.
Often these festivals rent public property (like a park or a beach).
Local governments were wary to endorse a festival pushing "drug" activism, but they were "ok" with endorsing the broader hemp thing.
For instance, in the nineties, there was a festival in Chicago called WeedFest.
At some point, the city told them they could not rent the beach under that name.
So then the organizers changed the name to Hempfest.
The city was ok with that for a few years, but that even that was too close to drugs.
Then the festival finally changed it's name to Peacefest, and everyone seemed ok with that.
It's still the same festival, and there is still an understanding that cops do not bust people toking at the festival.

Bottomline: these organizers are not picking "Hempfest" to confuse people.
These names are chosen so that the local government will give them park permits and other cooperation.

amy31416
12-07-2012, 07:40 AM
I don't understand why stoners don't keep the seeds, then go and do tons of stealth planting in public areas, forests, etc. If you keep 'em busy cutting down and burning plants, maybe they won't have the resources to swat raid a guy with half an ounce on the dresser.

Of course, that may also backfire and get them more resources.

tod evans
12-07-2012, 07:45 AM
I don't understand why stoners don't keep the seeds, then go and do tons of stealth planting in public areas, forests, etc. If you keep 'em busy cutting down and burning plants, maybe they won't have the resources to swat raid a guy with half an ounce on the dresser.

Of course, that may also backfire and get them more resources.

In the '70's I did my part........At one point I scattered several 3# coffee cans full of seeds...Didn't seem to slow em' down any..

presence
12-07-2012, 08:26 AM
I have yet to see. I've seen my share of tigers and albinos but three sided? Are you referring to feminized? (Which I have not seen)

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjx3lPAn_14T379ld0lC79mvNP3gbGL pd1-rmbvNJIJ3lXwSjOxQ

http://i54.servimg.com/u/f54/11/74/60/88/siames10.jpg

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/how-grow-marijuana/72083-what-colchicine-how-used.html

JK/SEA
12-07-2012, 08:50 AM
time to strike while the iron is hot. There must be a large campaign now to promote growing INDUSTRIAL HEMP. The people are ready for this, as is the economy.