PDA

View Full Version : Senators to Screen 'Lincoln', Seek a Waiver for Popcorn

alucard13mmfmj
12-06-2012, 07:53 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/senators-screen-lincoln-seek-waiver-popcorn-224641803--abc-news-politics.html

As lawmakers struggle to solve the fiscal cliff, they're also struggling for the right to snack on movie night.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., will make a formal appeal to the Senate Rules Committee in order to allow popcorn into the Senate's special screening of the new movie "Lincoln" in the Capitol Complex.

The screening, for all Senators and their spouses, will take place in the Capitol Visitors Center on Wednesday,December 19th.

Since food is not allowed in the room, the Majority Leader's office must get a special waiver to allow for it.

A Senate aide says Reid's office is currently going through the process of getting approval -because even Senators need their movie snacks.

President Obama held a private screening of the movie at the White House last month.

Vanilluxe
12-06-2012, 09:16 PM
I want a private screening at my house too! Why do politicians always have the privilege to have fun!?

aGameOfThrones
12-07-2012, 12:59 AM
As lawmakers struggle to solve the fiscal cliff, they're also struggling for the right to snack on movie night.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., will make a formal appeal to the Senate Rules Committee in order to allow popcorn into the Senate's special screening of the new movie "Lincoln" in the Capitol Complex.

The screening, for all Senators and their spouses, will take place in the Capitol Visitors Center on Wednesday,December 19th.

Since food is not allowed in the room, the Majority Leader's office must get a special waiver to allow for it.

A Senate aide says Reid's office is currently going through the process of getting approval -because even Senators need their movie snacks.

http://news.yahoo.com/senators-screen-lincoln-seek-waiver-popcorn-224641803--abc-news-politics.html

GunnyFreedom
12-07-2012, 01:08 AM
why in the hell would anybody care that the Senate has moved to suspend the Senate rules to allow food in the Capitol Complex?

GunnyFreedom
12-07-2012, 01:10 AM
hell, I would have probably been the one who moved to suspend the rules. The fact that this is 'news' of any kind is just stupid. :mad:

BamaAla
12-07-2012, 01:27 AM
Popcorn? Let them have rotten tomatoes so they can hurl them at the screen once that abomination has ended.

TheTexan
12-07-2012, 02:10 AM
hell, I would have probably been the one who moved to suspend the rules. The fact that this is 'news' of any kind is just stupid. :mad:

I'm just pissed that they're watching Lincoln. Few things piss me off more than the idolization of the tyrant of all tyrants, the aggressor who started us on this path towards unbridled oppression...

It's only fitting they would choose that movie. Fucking pricks.

Smart3
12-07-2012, 02:15 AM
I'm just pissed that they're watching Lincoln. Few things piss me off more than the idolization of the tyrant of all tyrants, the aggressor who started us on this path towards unbridled oppression...

It's only fitting they would choose that movie. Fucking pricks.
The movie actually wasn't terrible. It clearly showed Lincoln as a corrupt tyrant.

TheTexan
12-07-2012, 02:21 AM
The movie actually wasn't terrible. It clearly showed Lincoln as a corrupt tyrant.

Oh really? I had heard that the movie presents slavery as Lincoln's motivation for going to war, have my sources failed me on this?

Vanilluxe
12-07-2012, 02:31 AM

It was pretty fine, although I would wish to have the screenings be at my house, those politicians always get the fun, why can't we?

amy31416
12-07-2012, 03:20 AM
It was pretty fine, although I would wish to have the screenings be at my house, those politicians always get the fun, why can't we?

Because we're dumb enough to keep paying them, and now that they're getting even closer to completely sucking us dry, both D's and R's are rallying for more. Parasites are sneaky bastards.

Smart3
12-07-2012, 03:45 AM
Oh really? I had heard that the movie presents slavery as Lincoln's motivation for going to war, have my sources failed me on this?
Definitely, and Spielberg presents both sides of that, on whether or not the war was constitutional, and depicts Lincoln's own confusion over the constitutionality of his slave-grab the Emancipation Proclamation.

I think this film will help people understand why we complain over Lincoln, and it clearly shows he was not a great President or hero.

Ignore the trailers, they really mislead you, the movie is mostly about corruption in Washington, and the passage of the 13th amendment, not about Lincoln himself.

LibertyEagle
12-07-2012, 05:13 AM
Because we're dumb enough to keep paying them, and now that they're getting even closer to completely sucking us dry, both D's and R's are rallying for more. Parasites are sneaky bastards.

+rep

And the people are crying out to give them MORE taxpayer money. It's mindboggling..

The Goat
12-07-2012, 06:00 AM
+rep

And the people are crying out to give them MORE taxpayer money. It's mindboggling..

Its not their money, why would they care?

sluggo
12-07-2012, 06:15 AM
Government popcorn is probably $300 per tub.

kathy88
12-07-2012, 06:45 AM
Popcorn? Let them have rotten tomatoes so they can hurl them at the screen once that abomination has ended.

I was trying to think of just what to say here. You did it for me, thanks.

sailingaway
12-07-2012, 08:50 AM
I'm not in favor of it. Their incontinence with spending leads me to believe a food fight will start in our historic Senate chambers. You need to act responsibly to earn privileges of trust like that.

angelatc
12-07-2012, 08:55 AM
I'm not in favor of it. Their incontinence with spending leads me to believe a food fight will start in our historic Senate chambers. You need to act responsibly to earn privileges of trust like that.

I think we're just going to disagree. I'd like to see them screen Rocky Horror, myself.

sailingaway
12-07-2012, 08:59 AM
I think we're just going to disagree. I'd like to see them screen Rocky Horror, myself.

but with popcorn? Of course there, I suppose it would be slices of toast...

*tries to banish mental image of McConnell doing the Time Warp....*

itshappening
12-07-2012, 09:11 AM

it fosters a grand lie from the plagiarist who wrote the book that Lincoln pushed for and cajoled law makers into passing the amendment when it was the other way around. This is to elevate Lincoln as a hero and to worship him. Proper Lincoln scholars have debunked this myth. The movie is based on a lie and is not accurate.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
12-07-2012, 09:22 AM
why in the hell would anybody care that the Senate has moved to suspend the Senate rules to allow food in the Capitol Complex?

And what kind of idiots are they that they don't normally trust themselves with food around? really, wtf? They really are like 2 year olds.

Brian4Liberty
12-07-2012, 10:05 AM

It's just another way to push the movie. It's such a great movie, and so important, even the Senate must watch it. Why haven't you seen the movie, comrade?

GunnyFreedom
12-07-2012, 01:20 PM
And what kind of idiots are they that they don't normally trust themselves with food around? really, wtf? They really are like 2 year olds.

Yeah, I don't really get this prohibition of food throughout an entire complex. In the NC State House, the rules forbid eating on the House Floor, except that rule is suspended often as Session can run right through meals. So the rule is in place, but it gets suspended a lot. I get hypoglycemic if I don't eat, so I am often the one moving to suspend the rule. :p

Government popcorn is probably $300 per tub.

Then there's that. In our case, we all buy our own food, and the sergeants at arms have a big popcorn machine that they give out free popcorn from. I'm pretty sure they took up a collection from all the Sergeants at Arms about 8 years ago to buy the machine, and the only thing the taxpayers chip in is electricity and the kernels from a warehouse store like BJ's Costco or Sam's Club.

It's just another way to push the movie. It's such a great movie, and so important, even the Senate must watch it. Why haven't you seen the movie, comrade?

LOL, there's that too. :p :(

ETA - for the record, I have never gotten a tub of taxpayer popcorn. :D

angelatc
12-07-2012, 01:26 PM
but with popcorn? Of course there, I suppose it would be slices of toast...

*tries to banish mental image of McConnell doing the Time Warp....*

And rice. Lots of rice.

GunnyFreedom
12-07-2012, 01:31 PM
And rice. Lots of rice.

o/` ... LEEEEETS do the TIIIME WARP AGAIIIIIN! o/`

paulbot24
12-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Can you imagine Rand showing up and the only empty seats left are right next to McCain? Priceless. If the start of the movie was even a minute behind schedule, McCain would start yelling that Rand was stalling the movie on purpose for some reason. Then, on cue, the entire Senate would laugh with the great war hero and tell him how funny he is.