PDA

View Full Version : There Is A Civil War In The GOP, And So Far, Conservatives Are Losing

sailingaway
12-06-2012, 02:55 PM
There Is A Civil War In The GOP, And So Far, Conservatives Are Losing

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/demint-heritage-gop-tea-party-justin-amash-republicans-2012-12#ixzz2EIlDk8hH

South Carolina Senator Jim DeMint's surprising decision Thursday to leave the Senate four years early to take the top post at the Heritage Foundation marks another major blow for conservative Republicans, raising new questions about the future of the conservative movement in the wake of the GOP's 2012 election losses.

With DeMint's departure, the Senate will lose one of the Republican Party's most influential conservative kingmakers. DeMint was a leading force in the rise of the Tea Party movement, and his supporters credit him with the election of Tea Party and/or Liberty Movement-friendly Senators like Rand Paul (R-KY), Marco Rubio (R-FL), Mike Lee (R-UT), and Ted Cruz (R-TX).

But Establishment Republicans also blame DeMint for fostering the GOP's internecine battles by building up the specter of a primary threat, and backing unpalatable far-right candidates who went on to squander the party's chances in general election races.

Although DeMint will continue to wield influence in his new position at the Heritage Foundation, the move shifts a major nucleus of conservative power from inside Congress to an outside body — a symbolic step backwards for the Tea Party and other movement conservatives, whose influence has been steadily waning since its 2010 peak.

The DeMint announcement comes as GOP leaders takes steps to stamp out party divisions and enforce discipline among its members in the aftermath of the GOP's election failures.

Earlier this week, House Speaker John Boehner led the Republican leadership in stripping four outspoken conservative members — Justin Amash (R-MI), Tim Huelskamp (R-KS), David Schweikert (R-AZ), and Walter Jones (R-NC) — of their coveted positions on the House Budget and Banking Committees.
The purge sparked outrage among conservative activists, some of whom have subsequently called for Boehner's removal from the Speaker post.

In a strongly-worded Facebook post, Amash — a staunch deficit hawk and vocal supporter of Ron Paul — laments the leadership's "heavy-handedness," and says that the purge sends a bad message to young conservatives. He also note that the leadership never even officially told him that he was being removed from the Budget Committee, and instead learned about it through news reporters.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/demint-heritage-gop-tea-party-justin-amash-republicans-2012-12#ixzz2EIlRF0x3

twitterbomb scheduled for TUES 9pm 12/11 to get #purgeBoehner trending, and surely we can add other things to that.

ninepointfive
12-06-2012, 02:59 PM
So much for the GOP takeover.

:(

LibertyEagle
12-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Man, you give up easy.

Lucille
12-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Let the neo-Trot GOP commit suicide. It's tainted beyond repair, thanks to the GOP establishment and the disastrous Bush admin's many failures, which they still won't acknowledge. Even if we took over, it would still suffer from guilt by association. It will never recover.

The GOP Is Dying Because The Liberty Movement Is Thriving
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?397722-The-GOP-Is-Dying-Because-The-Liberty-Movement-Is-Thriving

sailingaway
12-06-2012, 03:06 PM
They shot the first shot, the response is yet to come.

AuH20
12-06-2012, 03:09 PM
The Republicans wouldn't have the house without the hated "conservatives." The war hasn't even begun.

Lucille
12-06-2012, 03:19 PM
If the Ds and the Statist media (BIRM) are going to successfully blame the GOP for all of Obama's failures, then why even be associated with it? We need to separate the liberty movement from the corporatist, warmongering GOP. We need a new party.

ninepointfive
12-06-2012, 03:21 PM
We need to separate the liberty movement from the corporatist, warmongering GOP. We need a new party.

quote for truth

cajuncocoa
12-06-2012, 03:23 PM
If the Ds and the Statist media (BIRM) are going to successfully blame the GOP for all of Obama's failures, then why even be associated with it? We need to separate the liberty movement from the corporatist, warmongering GOP. We need a new party.+rep. This is what I've been saying for months. The GOP is tainted with little hope for recovery.

Deborah K
12-06-2012, 03:26 PM
If the Ds and the Statist media (BIRM) are going to successfully blame the GOP for all of Obama's failures, then why even be associated with it? We need to separate the liberty movement from the corporatist, warmongering GOP. We need a new party.

I tend to agree with many of those in the founding era about party systems - they're too easily corrupted. I would never put my faith in a party. I personally think the two established parties should be infiltrated by the freedom movement. It would be more expeditious than trying -yet again - to change things with - yet another - party.

Just my flea-bitten opinion...

kahless
12-06-2012, 03:30 PM
The Democratic party is far worse but at least they are not pretending to be something they are not, "Conservative". So whatever the 3rd party is going to be I want to see it ultimately decimate the Republican Party.

The Tea Party already has the name and media recognition. They should form their own party and take them both down.

Lucille
12-06-2012, 03:40 PM
The Democratic party is far worse but at least they are not pretending to be something they are not, "Conservative". So whatever the 3rd party is going to be I want to see it ultimately decimate the Republican Party.

The Tea Party already has the name and media recognition. They should form their own party and take them both down.

Sadly, the Tea party is tainted too, since it was usurped by the neo-Trot establishment. It has lost a lot of popular support since it went from a laudable grassroots protest opposing govt spending by both parties, to a partisan Republican, anti-Obama, pro-war mess.

kahless
12-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Sadly, the Tea party is tainted too, since it was usurped by the neo-Trot establishment. It has lost a lot of popular support since it went from a laudable grassroots protest opposing govt spending by both parties, to a partisan Republican, anti-Obama, pro-war mess.

It is tainted in our eyes here but not by the average Joe Republican. I was thinking the party being along the lines of the RP - Tea Party movement during the 08 campaign.

John F Kennedy III
12-06-2012, 03:51 PM
They shot the first shot, the response is yet to come.

2014!

LibertyEagle
12-06-2012, 04:03 PM
I tend to agree with many of those in the founding era about party systems - they're too easily corrupted. I would never put my faith in a party. I personally think the two established parties should be infiltrated by the freedom movement. It would be more expeditious than trying -yet again - to change things with - yet another - party.

Just my flea-bitten opinion...

Yup, and that is pretty much what Ron said recently. The system is setup such that 3rd parties simply cannot succeed right now.

LibertyEagle
12-06-2012, 04:04 PM

Not all of the tea party is pro-intervention. Hell, I'm not "antiwar" if someone attacks us, or there is an eminent threat of doing so. Are you?

heavenlyboy34
12-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Not all of the tea party is pro-intervention. Hell, I'm not "antiwar" if someone attacks us, or there is an eminent threat of doing so. Are you? Do you mean by "someone" a uniformed armed force? In that case, it would be reasonable because you could, as RP would say, declare war and win it. This nonsense about a "war on Terror" and such on the other hand...that's just madness. 'scuse me for butting into your conversation, ma'am. :)

mz10
12-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Do you mean by "someone" a uniformed armed force? In that case, it would be reasonable because you could, as RP would say, declare war and win it. This nonsense about a "war on Terror" and such on the other hand...that's just madness. 'scuse me for butting into your conversation, ma'am. :)

Pretty much sums up my beliefs. If there is an imminent threat from a clear enemy, by all means go after it. Otherwise, just worry about building up defense back home.

Lucille
12-06-2012, 04:51 PM
"This is the situation now (http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/dean-wormer-american-politics/). One political party is dangerous and the other is stupid."

Yup, and that is pretty much what Ron said recently. The system is setup such that 3rd parties simply cannot succeed right now.

Ron would have done great had he run as an Independent. With enough popular support, a party can overcome in the bifactional ruling party's election protectionism. Especially now, with the neo-Trots purging conservatives (again), and the Dems destroying what's left of the middle class. Now is the time for an opposition party to challenge the Corporatist Welfare-Warfare-Police Statists who have been running the country into the ground.

The iron, it's hot!

Not all of the tea party is pro-intervention. Hell, I'm not "antiwar" if someone attacks us, or there is an eminent threat of doing so. Are you?

If who attacks us? China? Russia? Sure, with a declaration of war from Congress specifically stating we obliterate the enemy and GTFO. Now if you're talking about a gang of Islamicists pissed off over our occupations, and all the "collateral damage" caused by Obama's drone wars and our endless nation-building misadventures? No. If anyone is going to attack the US, it will be the latter, since the USG has created more terrorists in its glorious GWoT than bin Laden ever dreamed. Alas, the USG would no doubt find another MENA hellhole to waste blood and treasure on for a decade or more.

Last I heard, the Teaocons support attacking Iran, and they are not an imminent threat to us, or even Israel. Point being, the Tea Party is no longer popular, because the GOP usurped it, and everything the GOP touches turns to crap. I really wish Ron, Rand, and the rest of the liberty pols would distance themselves from it. I can't be the only one here who cringes now every time they read or hear about it.

puppetmaster
12-06-2012, 05:44 PM
The GOP is exposing the game for the one party system we have

jkr
12-06-2012, 05:50 PM
the no party strategy...go to BOTH county meeting shear what they all have to say...educate them ALL

CaptLouAlbano
12-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Man, you give up easy.

I see a lot of "giving up" here, but the good news is that real people in the real world are not giving up. We just had our December meeting for our local GOP club. We had 22 new folks show up that were ready and willing to get involved in activism efforts. That's the most new people we have had show up at once in the 7 years that I have been involved with this organization. The general consensus among all the new folks was that the GOP has lost its way and it needs to be restored to its small government principles. A couple folks even asked me about running for committee seats.

Anti Federalist
12-06-2012, 06:11 PM

That's pretty much the justification for the never to end GWOT.

That there is, at every minute of every day, a threat of an imminent attack.

heavenlyboy34
12-06-2012, 06:12 PM
"This is the situation now (http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/dean-wormer-american-politics/). One political party is dangerous and the other is stupid."

Ron would have done great had he run as an Independent. With enough popular support, a party can overcome in the bifactional ruling party's election protectionism. Especially now, with the neo-Trots purging conservatives (again), and the Dems destroying what's left of the middle class. Now is the time for an opposition party to challenge the Corporatist Welfare-Warfare-Police Statists who have been running the country into the ground.

The iron, it's hot!

If who attacks us? China? Russia? Sure, with a declaration of war from Congress specifically stating we obliterate the enemy and GTFO. Now if you're talking about a gang of Islamicists pissed off over our occupations, and all the "collateral damage" caused by Obama's drone wars and our endless nation-building misadventures? No. If anyone is going to attack the US, it will be the latter, since the USG has created more terrorists in its glorious GWoT than bin Laden ever dreamed. Alas, the USG would no doubt find another MENA hellhole to waste blood and treasure on for a decade or more.

Last I heard, the Teaocons support attacking Iran, and they are not an imminent threat to us, or even Israel. Point being, the Tea Party is no longer popular, because the GOP usurped it, and everything the GOP touches turns to crap. I really wish Ron, Rand, and the rest of the liberty pols would distance themselves from it. I can't be the only one here who cringes now every time I read or hear about it.
That's happened exactly once AFAIK (Teddy Roosevelt). I wouldn't bank on that. Just FWIW.

AuH20
12-06-2012, 06:18 PM

Correct. It's 50/50 down the middle. And I'd say the that half of the other 50% doesn't believe in nation building.

Reason
12-06-2012, 09:17 PM
/popcorn

NorfolkPCSolutions
12-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Oh, crap...the GOP is showing its colors. Prepare from the collective yawn of Obamney voters