PDA

View Full Version : Tom Woods Response to Allegations Against Him and Revolution PAC

green73
12-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Links at the original article
http://www.tomwoods.com/blog/allegations-against-revolution-pac/

As some of you know, I served for some months as honorary chairman of Revolution PAC. In recent days, it has been alleged that funds from the PAC were diverted into Gary Franchi’s organizations, and that an inordinate percentage of the monies raised were diverted into imprecise “administrative costs.”

I am trying to get to the bottom of this myself. As an honorary figure, I had no access to the books, never wrote a single check, and had no day-to-day role in the organization. I wrote our Plastic Men ad, signed off on the Compassion ad, and spoke at a New Hampshire event we had. That was pretty much the entirety of my involvement in Revolution PAC.

Now comes this accusation, from someone who runs a competing PAC: “Tom Woods went on a tour making speeches, promoting ‘Rev PAC’ commercials that they never played and splitting the loot amongst themselves.Tom Woods was always trying to find any reason to beat up the campaign, evidentally [sic] not because he wanted Ron Paul to win it, but it very well might have been because he wanted to slander the campaign so people would give to his pseudo-organization which we now know they used to split the loot amongst themselves under the label ‘administrative costs.’ It’s shameful that they used the selfless help and efforts of the believers in this movement for their selfish personal gain.”

Every single sentence in this statement is untrue.

I gave one speech for RevPAC. (Some “tour”!)

I never promoted ads that did not run. The only ad I ever promoted was the Plastic Men ad, which ran several times the day of one of the Republican debates. Which ad that I promoted did not run? I demand an answer.

I never split any “loot.” You know how much I earned from Revolution PAC? A whopping $1200, $700 of which was expense reimbursements for an airline ticket, some books we used as premiums for donors, and shipping expenses for those premiums from the UPS Store. So I earned a whopping $500.

I didn’t want Ron Paul to win? So I made all these videos, viewed by hundreds of thousands of people, for nothing? I did uncompensated work of all kinds, represented Dr. Paul in the media, wrote countless articles in his defense, all because I didn’t want him to win?

Oh, wait — it’s because I wanted people to give me their money so I could run away with it. Sure. That sounds like me. Show me. I demand evidence. I never received one dime from Revolution PAC beyond that $1200, most of which was reimbursement.

Now these are serious accusations, to be sure, and I am reserving judgment until I hear Gary’s full and detailed response. If such a thing is not forthcoming, I will have to decide on a further statement. For now, I intend to give Gary the benefit of the doubt and proceed from there.

But the idea that I ever, or would ever, defraud anyone, or that I became wealthy [!] from the thankless hours I poured into this venture, is absolutely preposterous, and there is not one stitch of evidence to support it.

I finally understand what “no good deed goes unpunished” means.

More here
Bloomberg: Revolution PAC spent just 14% of funds on Ron Paul
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?397484-Bloomberg-Revolution-PAC-spent-just-14-of-funds-on-Ron-Paul

specsaregood
12-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Now comes this accusation, from someone who runs a competing PAC:

Who exactly made that accusation? the linkages weren't very helpful in attributing the quote.

Pisces
12-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Who exactly made that accusation? the linkages weren't very helpful in attributing the quote.

The article quoted a person described as a Kentucky based activist that runs a libertarian Super Pac. That sounds like Preston Bates to me.

sailingaway
12-06-2012, 02:28 PM
I hadn't even seen the slurs against Woods. I can't imagine a serious person giving them any credence.

sailingaway
12-06-2012, 02:28 PM
The article quoted a person described as a Kentucky based activist that runs a libertarian Super Pac. That sounds like Preston Bates to me.

[I'm leaving this comment only because people replied to it. I had Bates mixed up with someone else who is in the LP in KY or was, when Rand was running for senate, so I retract this -->]Bates is a tool. And extremely jealous of any attention anyone else gets, imho from what I saw of him when I was watching Rand's senate race.

Pisces
12-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Bates is a tool. And extremely jealous of any attention anyone else gets, imho from what I saw of him when I was watching Rand's senate race.

He's definitely a braggart.

tsai3904
12-06-2012, 02:36 PM
The article quoted a person described as a Kentucky based activist that runs a libertarian Super Pac.

Where exactly does it say that? I don't see it.

Pisces
12-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Where exactly does it say that? I don't see it.

It was in the article that Tom Woods is responding to: http://www.policymic.com/articles/20230/ron-paul-vs-gary-franchi-revolution-pac-now-under-attack-for-misuse-of-funds.

I think they must have edited it out. I know I saw that when I first read the article.

green73
12-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Woods in comments section: The "Kentucky-based Ron Paul supporter" is obviously Jesse Benton.

specsaregood
12-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Woods in comments section: The "Kentucky-based Ron Paul supporter" is obviously Jesse Benton.

What PAC does benton run?

green73
12-06-2012, 02:45 PM

Liberty PAC

sailingaway
12-06-2012, 02:45 PM

yeah, I wondered too, but since it was edited...

but what pac does BATES run?

sailingaway
12-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Liberty PAC

that is Ron's pac, isn't it? Surely he doesn't still run that.

http://www.libertypac.com/

Contact Us
For U.S. Mail:
P.O. Box 602
Lake Jackson, TX 77566

By Telephone:
1-800-RON-PAUL (1-800-766-7285)

By E-mail:
E-mail Liberty PAC

specsaregood
12-06-2012, 02:48 PM

Yeah, pretty poor reporting not actually naming names, leads me to believe its a bunch of bullshit quote.

Pisces
12-06-2012, 02:53 PM

Liberty for All

They've done good work supporting Massie and Bentivolio but I think Bates brags too much about how they're going to run people out of the GOP. I can see that possibly backfiring on them. I probably shouldn't have mentioned his name though. I didn't think of Benton as Kentucky based but I guess he is now that he works for McConnell.

I don't like that they dragged Tom Woods into this, but maybe it will make him realize the danger of all this infighting and of making careless accusations about others. Some of the folks associated with RevPac were quite involved in promoting division and spreading rumors.

LibertyEagle
12-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Geez, we are our own worst enemies.

Eric21ND
12-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Bates should stop throwing manhole covers.

LibertyEagle
12-06-2012, 03:00 PM
How about we don't start accusing other people? We don't know it is Bates that Tom is even talking about and if Tom doesn't like what is being done to him, he shouldn't turn around and do the same thing to someone else.

sailingaway
12-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Liberty for All

They've done good work supporting Massie and Bentivolio but I think Bates brags too much about how they're going to run people out of the GOP. I can see that possibly backfiring on them. I probably shouldn't have mentioned his name though. I didn't think of Benton as Kentucky based but I guess he is now that he works for McConnell.

I don't like that they dragged Tom Woods into this, but maybe it will make him realize the danger of all this infighting and of making careless accusations about others. Some of the folks associated with RevPac were quite involved in promoting division and spreading rumors.

Oh, then I have to retract what I said, I was getting him mixed up with the head of the LP in KY when Rand was running for Senate. I didn't have any problems with Liberty for All. Weird that he'd get involved in this, and I think it is likely someone else. I'll wait and see.

specsaregood
12-06-2012, 03:16 PM
and I think it is likely someone else. I'll wait and see.

I think it more likely that the author made up a bullshit quote to sow disharmony.

Deborah K
12-06-2012, 04:01 PM
It was in the article that Tom Woods is responding to: http://www.policymic.com/articles/20230/ron-paul-vs-gary-franchi-revolution-pac-now-under-attack-for-misuse-of-funds.

I think they must have edited it out. I know I saw that when I first read the article.

Looks like Tom got a retraction. I told him if it were me - I'd demand it. That article literally accused him of theft, originally. I'm glad to see the idiot who wrote that yellow journalism at least had enough sense to avoid a libel lawsuit.

sailingaway
12-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Looks like Tom got a retraction. I told him if it were me - I'd demand it. That article literally accused him of theft, originally. I'm glad to see the idiot who wrote that yellow journalism at least had enough sense to avoid a libel lawsuit.

I don't see why Ron Paul is in the heading except, of course, to draw views. Ron hasn't said a word about any of this.

Deborah K
12-06-2012, 04:48 PM
I don't see why Ron Paul is in the heading except, of course, to draw views. Ron hasn't said a word about any of this.

And I doubt that he will. It is as you suggest - a way to draw readers. A way to stir up shit. He's editing the article because he knows it's libelous. Someone is putting him up to this. It's another tactic to turn the movement in on itself, so that it can be reclaimed and molded into someone's image of what they think it should be. This was done to the Tea Party. It's now being done to us.

sailingaway
12-06-2012, 04:52 PM
And I doubt that he will. It is as you suggest - a way to draw readers. A way to stir up shit. He's editing the article because he knows it's libelous. Someone is putting him up to this. It's another tactic to turn the movement in on itself, so that it can be reclaimed and molded into someone's image of what they think it should be. This was done to the Tea Party. It's now being done to us.

there's a lot of crap going around at the moment, one way and another, isn't there?

Deborah K
12-06-2012, 05:00 PM
there's a lot of crap going around at the moment, one way and another, isn't there?

Yes, and only time will tell whether liberty will thrive and succeed, or die on the vine. It's going to depend on people like the ones who frequent these forums. I don't think most people really understand that.

robert9712000
12-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Interesting that the same that same author of this story http://www.policymic.com/articles/20230/ron-paul-vs-gary-franchi-revolution-pac-now-under-attack-for-misuse-of-funds wrote a article 6 months ago attacking bates http://www.policymic.com/articles/9073/super-pac-funding-questioned-in-kentucky-election-of-ron-paul-supported-thomas-massie his source for that article has been deleted but this link has a partial on it http://paulitics.us/ron-paul/ron-paul-acolyte-from-texas-poured-money-into-ky-congressional-race-lexington-herald-leader/

It appears to me that someone is trying to cause division in the movement

sailingaway
12-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Interesting that the same that same author of this story http://www.policymic.com/articles/20230/ron-paul-vs-gary-franchi-revolution-pac-now-under-attack-for-misuse-of-funds wrote a article 6 months ago attacking bates http://www.policymic.com/articles/9073/super-pac-funding-questioned-in-kentucky-election-of-ron-paul-supported-thomas-massie his source for that article has been deleted but this link has a partial on it http://paulitics.us/ron-paul/ron-paul-acolyte-from-texas-poured-money-into-ky-congressional-race-lexington-herald-leader/

It appears to me that someone is trying to cause division in the movement

hm.

jkr
12-06-2012, 05:45 PM
they could have just given it all to tom to speak across the country

hes worth it

kathy88
12-06-2012, 06:21 PM
So was there really an accusation from another PAC head, or is the author just trying to cover his ass?

sailingaway
12-06-2012, 06:23 PM
So was there really an accusation from another PAC head, or is the author just trying to cover his ass?

at this point I have no idea.

Natural Citizen
12-06-2012, 06:31 PM
When I hear such language as "competing pac" I do have to wonder exactly what they are competing for. Are they really on the same page as actual supporters who in effect are competing for representation itself and of, by and for natural citizens? We cannot remain content to allow our process of electing representatives to be corporatized and bastardized. People need to wake up and take back the process. Of course, they ought to have known what pacs actually are too. Unfortunately too many have lost the notion of what citizenship means and where it comes from and by default tend to fall under the illusion that they are defending representation of their own citizenship when in fact they are demanding growth of the entity who, too often, represents itself and it's own path to patriation.

Founding fathers certainly didn't need a pac to patriate America. So then, why do we fall under the illusion that one is required to re-patriate it? Why defend the notion that an entity is the pathway to representation? These are not people. They grow. They do not eat, sleep, walk or talk. They grow. Nothing else. Think about that, folks. As always, is a battle for citizenship relevant to represenation. We the people. That means real ones. So, again. Careful what you ask for. Repatriating America is not a consumerist shenanigan. Please don't continue to fall under the illusion that it is. Real people won't win representation in that regard and to continue with that notion removes you the person from the traditional language relative to the old of, by and for gag rendering historic process absent.

Let these pacs fail. All of them. And if these folks who run them feel so obligated to remain in good standing that they would continue to exist to fight the good fight then invite them to come with you instead of letting them lead you otherwise. That's how our founding fathers left it. Follow them no more. Because this is what you'll continue to get. That may sting a bit but it's true. Doesn't matter what your flavor of political standing may be. Democrat, Republican, Independent..whatever. Representation is a battle to be won by you the people. Not them the inc. Repatriate wisely because your survival as a free nation of genuine people depends upon it. Survival and growth are great when in existing in synergy. When competing in terms of repatriation then...well...it's a different story and we the people...the real ones... as our founding fathers left it get's thrown out the window. Not that it hasn't progressed in that manner already but for crying out loud, at least have some say so from your own mouths.

These recent scribbles and words from those who are of subject regarding the hype are not the terms of controversy. Don't let them be. Because that is what some are trying to do in order to remain relevant to their own specific growth model. You don't need them. For anything. Well...except for motivation to get off yer ass and vote...maybe spread the word to the neighbors and such as well as other organizing throughout the community. Real grassroots. Not the astroturfing.inc shenanigans we've seen from some.

"Don't give yourselves to these un-natural men...machine men with machine minds and machine hearts. You are not machines. You are men. You, the people, have the power."

Jeremy Tyler
12-06-2012, 07:14 PM
I had class with Preston Bates (back when he was still a keynesian) and he comes to my book club every once in a while. If you really want to know I can just ask him.

sailingaway
12-06-2012, 07:33 PM
I had class with Preston Bates (back when he was still a keynesian) and he comes to my book club every once in a while. If you really want to know I can just ask him.

I don't even see enough substance against him to ask him, or any reason to think he was the person referred to. You can ask if you want, I guess, just to put speculation of some to rest. I just mixed his name up with someone else when they said 'Kentucky', for my part. I never meant him. I don't know what the article used to say, though, by the time I clicked on it, it had been changed.

Jeremy Tyler
12-06-2012, 08:27 PM
I don't even see enough substance against him to ask him, or any reason to think he was the person referred to. You can ask if you want, I guess, just to put speculation of some to rest. I just mixed his name up with someone else when they said 'Kentucky', for my part. I never meant him. I don't know what the article used to say, though, by the time I clicked on it, it had been changed.

eh, I won't bother then.

LibertyEagle
12-06-2012, 08:29 PM

Nah, that takes away the fun. It's so much more fun to just bash someone without having the facts, ya know.

fr33
12-07-2012, 07:42 AM
The policymic article has been taken down. Link leads to a 404 error.

Deborah K
12-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Here's Gary's response:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StyENMeBbtw

rockandrollsouls
12-08-2012, 09:29 AM
I absolutely do not believe Woods did anything wrong. But I still dislike him because he's a pompous, self-righteous goon.

New York For Paul
12-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Here is the story.

It can be picked apart at many levels.

Gary Franchi is known as being an outspoken critic of Ron Paul's campaign. Several times this year, his criticism flew around the internet as he nitpicked small decisions and larger plans made by the campaign. Tom Woods, a long time academic supporter of Ron Paul's did the same. Now the two of them and their Northbrook, Illinois based Revolution PAC is coming under the same scrutiny.

"Sometimes official campaign work, not unauthorized PACs, is a lot harder than the academics and writers think it is," a nationally recognized Republican campaign guru told me. "These people are armchair quarterbacking, which is entirely worthless in helping your team win the Monday Night Football game or helping your team win an election.... These guys are Tuesday morning quarterbacking with their shoulda, woulda, coulda language. It's really a waste of energy and though Ron Paul has a great message, there were these elements out there who are undermining his efforts."

On Tuesday, Gary Franchi was accused of taking money from donors and using that money unethically using Revolution PAC as a shell for paying his personal expenses. According to the Bloomberg article, some 83% of the $1.2 million raised by Revolution PAC was spent on "administrative costs," with a very small percentage actually being spent on promoting Ron Paul's campaign or his positions. In contrast, several well-respected political organizations spen less than 5% on administrative costs, such as the Congressional Leadership Fund uperPAC, which raised about $10 million for 2012 and spent less than $500,000 on administrative costs. There are many dissatisfied supporters calling for answers.

One Ron Paul supporter and one time Franchi supporter told me early Wednesday in an interview, "I'm calling for him to quit - step away from the liberty movement, he's always been a liability with his public fringe 9/11 position."

A former official from the Romney campaign said late Tuesday night, "Who knows, with that extra $1.2 million Paul might have maintained his Iowa lead through Election Day. With that momentum, Paul might very well have been the president-elect today."

Another Paul supporter, who is active among Republicans in Kentucky and runs a well-funded pro-liberty Super PAC, commented to me: "He was always trying to trash the campaign so people would give 'Rev PAC' money instead of the official campaign where Ron Paul himself wanted it used. Tom Woods went on a tour making speeches, promoting 'Rev PAC' commercials that they never played and splitting the loot amongst themselves.Tom Woods was always trying to find any reason to beat up the campaign, evidentally not because he wanted Ron Paul to win it, but it very well might have been because he wanted to slander the campaign so people would give to his pseudo-organization which we now know they used to split the loot amongst themselves under the label 'administrative costs.' It's shameful that they used the selfless help and efforts of the believers in this movement for their selfish personal gain."

Thousands of Paul supporters donated both time and money in 2012 and the campaign has long acknowledged that this is what allowed the campaign to thrive.

A Kentucky-based Ron Paul supporter commented Tuesday evening: "Some good people gave their last five bucks to these bad bastards. [Tom Woods and Gary Franchi] should be put in jail."

At the time the story went to press, calls to federal investigators at the U.S. District Attorney's Office in Chicago had not been returned. It is unclear whether Franchi or Woods are currently under investigation for their misuse of donor funds.

sailingaway
12-08-2012, 09:41 AM
One is confident it was retracted for good reason. ^^

kathy88
12-08-2012, 09:52 AM
At the time the story went to press, calls to federal investigators at the U.S. District Attorney's Office in Chicago had not been returned. It is unclear whether Franchi or Woods are currently under investigation for their misuse of donor funds.

What a douchebag whoever this is...

KingRobbStark
12-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Tom Woods is very sincere when comes to matters such as these. I agree, the author is a douchebag.

airborne373
12-09-2012, 09:48 AM
IMO - We have a couple things happening here. First is a personality war between Lyman & Franchi. I say dropped them both on an island in hopes of never hearing from either one again. Secondly there is what I will call Franchi Groupies posting stuff like this on the net "... attacks on Gary Franchi are attacks on Tom Woods and everyone else in the Liberty Movement including YOU!"

Gary Franchi needs to supply a line item expense report today. Any legitimate organization will have this data available at the touch of a button. Failure to provide this info indicates to me at the very minimum gross incompetence.

HOLLYWOOD
12-09-2012, 11:21 AM
More China Jon social media garbage.

It's all a divider